Game of Thrones Season 8 (spoilers are coming)

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

AlphonseCapone
6 minutes ago, gjcc said:

When did GRRM set that as a rule? 

In the books Tormund mentions someone’s child dying from the cold and is subsequently reanimated. 

Then you have the fact people who died in the fights with the wildlings were burnt so they didn’t reanimate. 

Plus the book has multiple mentions of the wildlings stating they have to burn their dead or risk them returning as wights.

Doesn’t seem there’s evidence of “only people killed by white walkers can be reanimated“ to me. In fact all the evidence is to the contrary, from what I’ve read. Happy to be corrected though. 

You are probably right, I didn't read the books. I'm only going on someone else questioning it and using it as an example for the point I was trying to make. You can replace that with any rule set by a writer in a fantasy world. Anyway, pretty boring chat considering last nights episode!

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve_Jersey_HMFC

• hughesie27

• Alan_R

• Tazio

7 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

The dead in the crypt were wandering around before the night king ‘raised the dead’. 

That confused me. 

Maybe watch it again then because that’s definitely not the case. 

Say What Again
11 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same.

They didn't appear until after the NK raised his arms in the face-off with Jon

William H. Bonney
14 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Sorry, I meant the scene in the library where the starks are wandering around. 

5 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Sorry, I meant the scene in the library where the starks are wandering around. 

Pretty sure thats not the Starks. Its Wights or White Walkers who have entered into the main buildings looking for the living. Starks are buried down in the crypts. 

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, gjcc said:

Pretty sure thats not the Starks. Its Wights or White Walkers who have entered into the main buildings looking for the living. Starks are buried down in the crypts. 

Ok. It’s just their lack of frantic movement that I assumed meant they were starks 

2 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Ok. It’s just their lack of frantic movement that I assumed meant they were starks 

They do move like mad when they hear a sound.

Mac_fae_Gillie
3 hours ago, bajthejambo said:

On point two, is not that he's scared of fire due to having his face rubbed in it as a child? 

Hound got freaked out by the trench fire took him a while to get it back together. Guy has a know fire issue.

Pretty sure all dead can be raised hence in season 2/3 why the Wildlings burn all those who die and the constant "make sure you burn the dead" comments made early doors many times.

The Night King did die fairly easy but he never normally put himself in direct danger hence the plan to draw him to Bran. Even then he thought all of Brans guard were dead until Arya drops in.

Would have liked to see the Night Kings fave when he realised he was a goner. 

Interesting that the knife used the kill home was the one meant for Bran in season 1.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
29 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Would have liked to see the Night Kings fave when he realised he was a goner. 

Interesting that the knife used the kill home was the one meant for Bran in season 1.

There were a lot of callbacks, it was also the same spot in the godswood Bran gave Arya the dagger last season, the spot Arya plunged the dagger through NK's chest was where the CoF plunged the dragonglass into the first white walker which we assume was him, Lyanna drops a giant in the same spot Ramsay shot Wun Wun after Battle of *******s, other callbacks to things said in previous seasons like stick em with the pointy end and what Mel said to Arya way back in s3

Edited by Steve_Jersey_HMFC

1 minute ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

There were a lot of callbacks, it was also the same spot in the godswood Bran gave Arya the dagger last season, the spot Arya plunged the dagger through NK's chest was where the CoF plunged the dragonglass into the first white walker which we assume was him, Lyanna drops a giant in the same spot Ramsay shot Wun Wun after Battle of *******s, other callbacks to things said in previous seasons like stick em with the pointy end and what Mel said to Arya way back in s3

Writers said they knew a few years ago Arya was going to be the one and that said that the only way the NK could die was to be stabbed with valerian steel in the same place the dragonglass was pushed into him. Not sure if that was GRRM decision or theirs though.

54 minutes ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Also, the dagger appeared in one of Sam’s books at the Citadel. 

Loved the return to line about eyes Arya would “close forever”. Brown, Green and Blue. 

Might be thinking too much into it but...

Brown: Frey

Blue: Night King

Green...

Spoiler

2F481D7B-C6B0-43B6-804F-BA1C91FFE964.jpeg

Edited by gjcc

6 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Loved the return to line about eyes Arya would “close forever”. Brown, Green and Blue. 

Green...

Reveal hidden contents

Hope not. Time to let someone else steal the spotlight.

17 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Hope not. Time to let someone else steal the spotlight.

It probably won’t be, just can’t think of anyone with green eyes. 

The prophesy on her death says she’ll be killed by a “little brother” but doesn’t stipulate it’s one of her little brothers. So opens it up to being pretty much anyone. Euron, the hound, Jon, etc... 

Phil Dunphy

I was saying once Ayra left Bravos that she would be the one to kill Cersei.

The last of the names on her list.

53 minutes ago, gjcc said:

It probably won’t be, just can’t think of anyone with green eyes. 

The prophesy on her death says she’ll be killed by a “little brother” but doesn’t stipulate it’s one of her little brothers. So opens it up to being pretty much anyone. Euron, the hound, Jon, etc... 

16 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Arya with the face of Euron or Jamie or Tyrion or any other little brother? 

Edited by sadj

Just now, sadj said:

Ayra with the face of Euron or Jamie or Tyrion or any other little brother? 

Hopefully something along those lines. Otherwise they’ve wasted a lot of time on her “list”.

Ilyn Payne-still alive 

The Hound-still alive but may no longer be on it. 

The mountain- dead but not dead. Still hyped for Clegane Bowl though. 

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Ironically at one point the other night she was in a room with 3 people once on her list, Beric, Hound and Melissandre

I never gave a shit about GoT. The wife watched it but I always went and did something else. Wasn't really something that attracted me, despite quite liking dragons and fantasy stuff. Gave in and binge watched all the seasons before the last one with the missus, as I figured it can be something we can watch together and gain some brownie points at the same time. It was good, but I didn't think it deserved all the fuss some folk made about it. 

Not going to lie though, gave a big ol' "YAAAASSSS!! ****ING GO ON, WEE ARYA! YA ****ING BEAUTY!" last night. 

William H. Bonney
35 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

I never gave a shit about GoT. The wife watched it but I always went and did something else. Wasn't really something that attracted me, despite quite liking dragons and fantasy stuff. Gave in and binge watched all the seasons before the last one with the missus, as I figured it can be something we can watch together and gain some brownie points at the same time. It was good, but I didn't think it deserved all the fuss some folk made about it. 

Not going to lie though, gave a big ol' "YAAAASSSS!! ****ING GO ON, WEE ARYA! YA ****ING BEAUTY!" last night. 

Watching the sex scene again? 

20 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Watching the sex scene again? 

Wee minx nothing for 7seasons then mounts two guys in 7days. One of them clearly showing she has dad issues or maybe going by his age great great great great grandad issues

Captain Sausage

Meh. No big characters died, couldn’t see half the scenes, screen kept going black and quiet for a second to close each scene, and all the ‘great war’ chat for a pitch black scream fest where the night king died. 

Underwhelmed. 

Phil Dunphy
3 hours ago, sadj said:

Arya with the face of Euron or Jamie or Tyrion or any other little brother? 

I'm caught between it being her or Jamie.

A complete arc from him putting a sword through the Mad King, now he has to do it to a Mad Queen.

1 hour ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Ironically at one point the other night she was in a room with 3 people once on her list, Beric, Hound and Melissandre

Has she actually killed anyone on her list, apart from Meryn Trant?

4 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Killed yon Polliver guy during the bar fight when she was on the run with the Hound.

That's how she got Needle back.

And of course Walder Frey.

Edited by Cade

Phil Dunphy
Just now, Cade said:

Killed yon Polliver guy during the bar fight when she was on the run with the Hound.

That's how she got Needle back.

I remember her killing Poliver, but I can't remember if he made her list.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

She also killed Rorge. Wasn’t on her list but she said it was because she didn’t know his name. after the Biter bit the Hound and Rorge told Arya his name he got stuck with said pointy end 

Edited by Steve_Jersey_HMFC

5 hours ago, gjcc said:

Green...

Reveal hidden contents

Green eyes...jealousy?

Not that that would narrow the field  much.  I read somewhere that even one of the dragons was jealous when Jon and Dany were at each other. 

43 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I remember her killing Poliver, but I can't remember if he made her list.

He was added when a captive Arya witnessed him beating up an old woman.

Meryn Trant and Rorge(very briefly) on her list and dispatched by her. 

Edit:  

Oops: both other names already mentioned. 

Edited by gjcc

3 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Green eyes...jealousy?

Not that that would narrow the field  much.  I read somewhere that even one of the dragons was jealous when Jon and Dany were at each other. 

The prophesy mentions strangled to death. Do dragons have opposable thumbs?

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I'm caught between it being her or Jamie.

A complete arc from him putting a sword through the Mad King, now he has to do it to a Mad Queen.

Yh i liked the character arc of Theon it was superb , Jorah aswell to a large extent dying as he did and the genuine devastation at losing him from Dany. The runners said the character stories is what they have tried to focus on. 

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I’m sure Littlefinger was the one with green eyes.

Forgot about him. That scene annoyed me a little bit with Sansa passing the sentence and Arya dealing punishment. Not at all what Ned taught about honour early on. 

Placid Casual
2 hours ago, gjcc said:

Forgot about him. That scene annoyed me a little bit with Sansa passing the sentence and Arya dealing punishment. Not at all what Ned taught about honour early on. 

Think we’ve all seen Arya and Sansa learn a lot and develop a mind of their own over a long period of time.

Edited by Placid Casual

Phil Dunphy
9 hours ago, gjcc said:

He was added when a captive Arya witnessed him beating up an old woman.

Meryn Trant and Rorge(very briefly) on her list and dispatched by her. 

Edit:  

Oops: both other names already mentioned. 

Lucky number three with Cersei then. 

8 hours ago, sadj said:

Yh i liked the character arc of Theon it was superb , Jorah aswell to a large extent dying as he did and the genuine devastation at losing him from Dany. The runners said the character stories is what they have tried to focus on. 

Oddly I was sadder about Theon than I was about Jorah. 

7 hours ago, gjcc said:

I think Ned held quite traditional views of ladies though. If it had been Jon passing the sentence, he’d have wanted Jon to swing the sword. 

If his daughter passed the sentence, I doubt he would have expected her to deal the punishment. 

AlphonseCapone
7 hours ago, gjcc said:

Ned was a dinosaur. Arya would never have become what she has under his watch. She'd be too busy honourably doing the dishes. 

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
12 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Ned was a dinosaur. Arya would never have become what she has under his watch. She'd be too busy honourably doing the dishes. 

Ned was, to be fair, quite happy to let Arya be something other than the typical lady society would expect her to be. He arranged for her lessons with Syrio for example, let her keep needle and approved of her archery skills.

AlimOzturk
58 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Would hardly call him a dinosaur he let Arya train in Sword dancing and improve her archery skills. He was traditional though and his honour eventually got him killed. 

Still the biggest shock in the whole series was his death such the major character he was. 

PortyJambo
17 hours ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Also, the scene earlier this season where Arya appeared behind Jon in the Godswood, and he said "how did you sneak up on me" (or something like that). Her using her skills to then sneak on the NK (implausible as that seemed)

DarthVodka
On 29/04/2019 at 23:20, Alan_R said:

It's VERY obvious we are now ahead of the books. Certain characters escaping sudden deaths and fighting past impossible odds.

I was worried that that may happen when they actually passed the books storyline, from memory there are a few quite different character arcs (Beric is deed, Lady Stoneheart) and its been a long time since I read them, but I don't think the actual 'night king' is mentioned anywhere and there seems to be another boy claiming to be be Targaryen 

26 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Her using her skills to then sneak on the NK (implausible as that seemed)

That annoyed me. She just magically appeared in mid-air out of nowhere behind him, despite him being surrounded by a ring of white walkers in an open area.

superjack
2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

But it was ned who arranged her original sword fighting lessons in season 1.

AlphonseCapone
4 hours ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Ned was, to be fair, quite happy to let Arya be something other than the typical lady society would expect her to be. He arranged for her lessons with Syrio for example, let her keep needle and approved of her archery skills.

3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Would hardly call him a dinosaur he let Arya train in Sword dancing and improve her archery skills. He was traditional though and his honour eventually got him killed. 

Still the biggest shock in the whole series was his death such the major character he was. 

2 hours ago, superjack said:

But it was ned who arranged her original sword fighting lessons in season 1.

Fine :laugh: I just couldn't stand Ned and his noble nonsense. 

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

That annoyed me. She just magically appeared in mid-air out of nowhere behind him, despite him being surrounded by a ring of white walkers in an open area.

Same, wouldve rather her special weapon had some sort of projectile dagger that she used to stab him from the werewood tree (same bit where he was created by children of the forrest for wee throwback, which i think is what they tried to do anyway)

Seemed a bit of a fuss over that weapon for very little.