Game of Thrones Season 8 (spoilers are coming)

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Great episode, but watching it on Sky brought back memories of watching a pirate VCD movie bought at Ingilston 20 years ago.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve_Jersey_HMFC

• hughesie27

• Alan_R

• Tazio

13 minutes ago, Dunks said:

What are you watching it on and from? Perfect sound and vision for me - music in particular was awesome.

Sky HD on 60” Samsung Oled.  PQ wasn’t too bad as I said but sound was poor and that was upmixed on my amp (onkyo atmos). 

Music etc is epic but wasn’t done justice imo but that’s where the blu ray or 4K will

come in.

Edited by 1971fozzy

3 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

It's VERY obvious we are now ahead of the books. Certain characters escaping sudden deaths and fighting past impossible odds.

Apparently George Martin gave them a 140 story outline that they then wrote the scripts from.

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Apparently George Martin gave them a 140 story outline that they then wrote the scripts from.

Hmm maybe so but season so far seems different.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Question marks over jora, theon and grey worm... Presumed dead but will actually feel quite shit if any of them scrape through

Edited by Alan_R

21 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You really can sound a bit smug sometimes Hughesie. 

Well I watched it on a fairly basic 1080p Samsung linked by HDMI to my MacBook Pro which sends full HD and it was dark as ****. 

Fairly basic in the sense that it cost about £300 brand new. Not much for a 4k TV.

It's not even my TV so nothing for me to be smug about.

3 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Fairly basic in the sense that it cost about £300 brand new. Not much for a 4k TV.

It's not even my TV so nothing for me to be smug about.

Cheapskate.

48 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Will the elephants have any relevance?

Cersei REALLY wanted those elephants.

???

34 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You really can sound a bit smug sometimes Hughesie. 

Well I watched it on a fairly basic 1080p Samsung linked by HDMI to my MacBook Pro which sends full HD and it was dark as ****. 

I watched it via a dl copy in 1080 x265 on my pc on my 55” lg but had to watch at an angle and with the sun coming through my curtains. Away to watch it again on the Mrs tv just now.

Spoiler

The more I think and read about that episode the more it leaves a bitter taste

Seven series of build up of the night king yet he gets killed just like that. I guess him not burning might reinforce the targayrayen connection but we should find out more via bran.

Seems like we've wasted alot of time on characters though... I mean the profecies about prince who was promised etc. What was the point in Jon's resurrection for Arya to save the day... Just to give us a red herring?

10 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Could have ended quicker ....

image.png.874ba3b9b49366a223a416d749c102e3.png

Ffs? ,  just watched it again in the dark. ????

Edited by sadj

Now TV really need to up their game. From what I've read, they stream only at 720p quality which is why the third episode was a bit of a blur half the time. Had to turn off all the lights in the room to be able to understand what was going on. Paid for 3 months membership and starting to think I would have been better getting a 1080p Kodi stream instead. Piracy is meant to be lower quality than paying for it!

The fact that so many comments are about folk trying to reset their TVs is telling.  If you have to do that, FFS, then the production has failed.

I also wonder if folk were determined that this one was going to be awesome.  I felt slightly disappointed by it.  

GoT has been further on than the nbooks for about 4 seasons, now.  GRRM has told the producers how it ends (or at least how it ends in his head).  Presumably then GRRM intended for the various characters to survive the battle of Winterfell.

8 hours ago, mulleted_jambo said:

I think it must be the now tv stream that isn’t good enough. I changed the brightness settings and it brightened it up a lot but went a wee bit jerky if there was a lot of movement on the screen. 

Still enjoyable even with that. 

NowTV streams at 3.5mbps max and outputs at 720p to tv.

As a comparison other IPTV services in the UK do SD broadcast at 4.5mbps and HD between 10-14mbps (so the NowTV stream had a bit rate/quality factor that was substandard compared to SD).

NowTV is awful for anything fast moving  and is on the verge of a revamp to increase bit rate.

kingantti1874
8 hours ago, Alan_R said:
  Hide contents

The more I think and read about that episode the more it leaves a bitter taste

Seven series of build up of the night king yet he gets killed just like that. I guess him not burning might reinforce the targayrayen connection but we should find out more via bran.

Seems like we've wasted alot of time on characters though... I mean the profecies about prince who was promised etc. What was the point in Jon's resurrection for Arya to save the day... Just to give us a red herring?

This is where I’m at, don’t get me wrong it’s great TV but the real attraction of GOT was the depth of story as I’ve said before.. it was perfect right up to the battle of the *******s and Cersei blowing up the cult. 

Since then hen we saw one of the biggest houses in Westeros the Martells ended in under a minute, the Lannister army destroyed in minutes, the wall fall without to much fuss and now the NK done in an episode. 

Still enjoyed it, but as George RR Martin said he think it it followed the books there would be another 5 series 

Edited by kingantti1874

9 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Think a few folk need to get new TVs.

No, HBO need to stop heavily compressing the video file they send out. 

I have an OLED using the recommended settings from avforums and it still looked like crap. 

The lighting in the scenes was also awful. 

Loads of complaints about it online. It's not just a few folk with crap TVs. 

1 hour ago, Hasselhoff said:

Now TV really need to up their game. From what I've read, they stream only at 720p quality which is why the third episode was a bit of a blur half the time. Had to turn off all the lights in the room to be able to understand what was going on. Paid for 3 months membership and starting to think I would have been better getting a 1080p Kodi stream instead. Piracy is meant to be lower quality than paying for it!

It was awful on Sky too, and seemingly on the original HBO broadcast. 

3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

No, HBO need to stop heavily compressing the video file they send out. 

I have an OLED using the recommended settings from avforums and it still looked like crap. 

The lighting in the scenes was also awful. 

Loads of complaints about it online. It's not just a few folk with crap TVs. 

Once i watched it in a dark room it was fine. But daytime viewing not a chance

kingantti1874

I watched yesterday morning on a sumsung qled using sky and it was crap, U watched it again in pitch black on my 120” projector and it was tremendous. Although still lots of banging becuase of compression

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I watched yesterday morning on a sumsung qled using sky and it was crap, U watched it again in pitch black on my 120” projector and it was tremendous. Although still lots of banging becuase of compression

Seems a reccuring theme to enjoy it properly watch it in the “pitch black” 

9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Lots of banding due to compression = tremendous? 

kingantti1874
24 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Lots of banding due to compression = tremendous? 

Honestly was visually cracking, just that in the deep blacks you could see the bands. Didn’t spoil it though 

10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Still at least when the get out the dismal north and back down south it will be bright and sunny. 

Unless they fight at night ?

58 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

This is where I’m at, don’t get me wrong it’s great TV but the real attraction of GOT was the depth of story as I’ve said before.. it was perfect right up to the battle of the *******s and Cersei blowing up the cult. 

Since then hen we saw one of the biggest houses in Westeros the Martells ended in under a minute, the Lannister army destroyed in minutes, the wall fall without to much fuss and now the NK done in an episode. 

Still enjoyed it, but as George RR Martin said he think it it followed the books there would be another 5 series 

Pretty much on the same page as me. Lots of time spend on some things (Melisandei, grey worm love story) then rushed through some key events.

For me battle of the *******s and the episodes Neil Marshall done have been better.

Like you say still brilliant viewing though.

I've mentioned on various threads on jkb in past but try Black Sails, unsure how it's avoided the hype. It's excellent, right up there with GoT

Edited by Alan_R

11 hours ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

As we’re discussing something from last season I won’t bother with spoiler tags. You’re right that the Sands are attacked on route to Dorne so not sure what is left there or who rules it. I think most of House Tyrell is at Highgarden when Jaime takes it. The smaller vassal houses previously banneen lto Tyrell defected to Cersei such as the Tarlys , whilst their lord and heir were executed By Dany some bent the knee, not sure where they have gone. 

Theres so many old big houses like Tyrell, Tarly, Frey, Martell, Baratheon all pretty much wiped out I wonder if they will touch upon that in the last episodes and who the hell is running half the country. 

On Dorne, I'm not sure who rules it either, maybe the Ullers if they have anyone left, but it doesn't change that the majority of their forces should be fine. As far as I recall, the Dornish haven't actually went into full battle at all (have they?) - you would think we'd get to see them summon their banners before the whole thing ends. 

Similarly, I don't recall seeing any Knights of the Vale at the Battle of Winterfell. Did they return to the Vale after the Battle of the *******s? 

Disser Pointon
47 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Pretty much on the same page as me. Lots of time spend on some things (Melisandei, grey worm love story) then rushed through some key events.

For me battle of the *******s and the episodes Neil Marshall done have been better.

Like you say still brilliant viewing though.

I've mentioned on various threads on jkb in past but try Black Sails, unsure how it's avoided the hype. It's excellent, right up there with GoT

Agree on Black Sails, one of my all time favourites. 

Say What Again
11 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Spoiler

Hide contents

Question marks over jora, theon and grey worm... Presumed dead but will actually feel quite shit if any of them scrape through

It looked to me that the first two are most certainly dead.

The third one though? When did he appear to die? I only watched it last night and can't remember thinking he'd died.

He's not on Kalamazoo's death list either (which reads the same as I saw it).

rossaldinho
20 minutes ago, Say What Again said:

The third one though? When did he appear to die? I only watched it last night and can't remember thinking he'd died.

I've not watched the Ep4 preview yet but Grey Worm is apparently seen in it.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
1 hour ago, Toggie88 said:

On Dorne, I'm not sure who rules it either, maybe the Ullers if they have anyone left, but it doesn't change that the majority of their forces should be fine. As far as I recall, the Dornish haven't actually went into full battle at all (have they?) - you would think we'd get to see them summon their banners before the whole thing ends. 

Similarly, I don't recall seeing any Knights of the Vale at the Battle of Winterfell. Did they return to the Vale after the Battle of the *******s? 

They were on the left flank with Brienne and Jaime, you could see the crescent and falcon sigil on a few shields. Yohn Royce has been in a few scenes with Sansa this season but didn't see him in the battle or the crypts

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
3 minutes ago, Say What Again said:

Military.jpg

This. Being on the front line they were always goosed but the way they went out :facepalm:. HBO's way of quickly removing one of Dany's strongest assets to make the war v Cersei more of a fight

Almost as bad as when Ser Barristan Selmy got outdone by a few untrained noble guys with knifes in a back alley or when Doran Martell (whose intelligence and cunning Tywin Lannister respected so much as to describe him as the most dangerous man in the 7 Kingdoms) doesn't see that his dead brother's paramour who betrayed him 5 minutes earlier might not have been the most trustworthy person to be around without at least checking her for weapons.

Great episode but few things annoyed me.

1. Sam being a shite bag is pretty much what got his mate killed.

2. The hound suddenly being a shite bag mid fight, didn't make any sense to stop if you thought you were going to die anyway.

3. Killing the knight king was actually pretty simple. Some fearsome leader he is!

4. How did the dead in the cript come alive, thought it was only those killed my the wights that could turn?

5. Tormund never got to pump brienne as a victory celebration.

People trying to apply logic to a fantasy adventure featuring dragos, wtiches and the living dead.

Gees peace, it's entertainment.

AlphonseCapone
34 minutes ago, southcap said:

People trying to apply logic to a fantasy adventure featuring dragos, wtiches and the living dead.

Gees peace, it's entertainment.

What? Logic still applies, it's just that the logic isn't the same as the real world.

bajthejambo
42 minutes ago, TheStig said:

2. The hound suddenly being a shite bag mid fight, didn't make any sense to stop if you thought you were going to die anyway.

3. Killing the knight king was actually pretty simple. Some fearsome leader he is!

4. How did the dead in the cript come alive, thought it was only those killed my the wights that could turn?

On point two, is not that he's scared of fire due to having his face rubbed in it as a child? 

2 hours ago, Say What Again said:

There was a trampled unsullied on the ground and it zoomed in on the face/helmet as it scanned past. I gather was just a random warrior rather than him then.

45 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

What? Logic still applies, it's just that the logic isn't the same as the real world.

If you want to go over all the seasons of GOT and apply logic to them..

You won't have much of a TV series left.

I mean, why not fire the dragons in first to roast everyone before the battle even begins...

Then fire them down to roast all of Kings Landing.....

Jobs a good un.

Edited by southcap

bajthejambo
29 minutes ago, southcap said:

I mean, why not fire the dragons in first to roast everyone before the battle even begins...

Jobs a good un.

That's what I thought. If you keep Bran out of the loop and fly north early doors, then you could eliminate a lot of the army of the dead. Then again, can the NK resurrect the dead dead? 

3 hours ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

They were on the left flank with Brienne and Jaime, you could see the crescent and falcon sigil on a few shields. Yohn Royce has been in a few scenes with Sansa this season but didn't see him in the battle or the crypts

You're right - forgot about the shields behind Brienne and Jamie. I always expected them on horseback for some reason. 

2 hours ago, TheStig said:

4. Didn't even click that's what had happened, I just thought they were part of the dead army who had dug their way in.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, southcap said:

Jobs a good un.

What you're pointing out isn't the same as someone questioning why the dead in the crypt came back if it's only meant to be those killed by white walkers that can come back. If GRRM sets that as a rule then it's fair to question it when it doesn't work that way (if that is what went on).

No one is saying question every single move because there are quite clearly more obvious ways to do things as you point out. But if a writer sets boundaries within a magical world then it's reasonable to expect them to be applied, even if they are beyond the possible in this world.

16 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

What you're pointing out isn't the same as someone questioning why the dead in the crypt came back if it's only meant to be those killed by white walkers that can come back. If GRRM sets that as a rule then it's fair to question it when it doesn't work that way (if that is what went on).

No one is saying question every single move because there are quite clearly more obvious ways to do things as you point out. But if a writer sets boundaries within a magical world then it's reasonable to expect them to be applied, even if they are beyond the possible in this world.

I guess this is one of these cases of 'each to their own'.

9 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

When did GRRM set that as a rule? 

In the books Tormund mentions someone’s child dying from the cold and is subsequently reanimated. 

Then you have the fact people who died in the fights with the wildlings were burnt so they didn’t reanimate. 

Plus the book has multiple mentions of the wildlings stating they have to burn their dead or risk them returning as wights.

Doesn’t seem there’s evidence of “only people killed by white walkers can be reanimated“ to me. In fact all the evidence is to the contrary, from what I’ve read. Happy to be corrected though. 

William H. Bonney

The dead in the crypt were wandering around before the night king ‘raised the dead’. 

That confused me.