Game of Thrones Season 8 (spoilers are coming)

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

10 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Thought the musical interlude was quite beautifully done. Very poignant.

:spoton:

It looked great on my TV - must have it set up properly ?

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve_Jersey_HMFC

• hughesie27

• Alan_R

• Tazio

Kalamazoo Jambo
16 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Or is it two dragons?

Still two dragons - you see both in the trailer for the next episode. Watch at about 21 seconds in...

The trailer is also the reason we know Ghost is still alive.(@ 18 seconds).

kingantti1874

Tin hat on, love GOT and enjoyed this episode massively however it feels like it’s taken 6 seasons to get 50% of the way through the story and 1 and a couple of episodes for the next 45%.  The best thing about game of thrones was the depth of plot.

really really obvious that that they’ve got ahead of the books. A wee bit disappointing. Still the best show of all time imo

Mac_fae_Gillie

My biggest hate is night battles... 90 mins of black screen.

Got my been in a crypt not great idea spot on.. Was trying to spot Zombie starks.

But at least it is resolved thought for a second it was going to end.

What has Dany got left to fight with lost most of the army and another dragon, so unless the Lannister brothers help turn it around she may as well go back to Slavers Bay.

Big story now is will Bronn do the deed??

19 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Still two dragons - you see both in the trailer for the next episode. Watch at about 21 seconds in...

The trailer is also the reason we know Ghost is still alive.(@ 18 seconds).

Ghost disappears for episodes on end so I tend to forget he's still there.  Big part of the books as well

11 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Reveal hidden contents

Major characters who died (list may be incomplete):

Edd

Jorah

Lyanna Mormont (but went out in style)

Beric

Theon (somewhat redeemed)

Melisandre (old age)

Totally wiped out: Night King and his mob, including Viserion

Not that safe after all: The Crypt

Needs renovation: Winterfell

Totally badass: Arya

Love this

kingantti1874
29 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

My biggest hate is night battles... 90 mins of black screen.

Got my been in a crypt not great idea spot on.. Was trying to spot Zombie starks.

But at least it is resolved thought for a second it was going to end.

What has Dany got left to fight with lost most of the army and another dragon, so unless the Lannister brothers help turn it around she may as well go back to Slavers Bay.

Big story now is will Bronn do the deed??

Didnt lose another dragon

Mac_fae_Gillie
13 minutes ago, sadj said:

??? number of times i paused changed tv settings etc

In my defence it was dark, thought Jons got killed .. always nice to have 2 though.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
57 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

I don’t get the last picture? 

To be fair neither did I at first (got this off a GoT memes page I follow), I think its referencing the NK turning round seeing Jon and having a wry smile then doing his resurrection thing (whilst WF was burning in the background)

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
2 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Trying to get work done today isn't easy. What do we say to the God of Procrastination?

Today. :lol: 

Alex Kintner
19 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

In my defence it was dark, thought Jons got killed .. always nice to have 2 though.

Should have made the dragons wear ninja turtle style coloured bandanas to help tell them apart ??

Holy **** I have never shouted yassssss at TV program before pure Kyle gif TV but that moment he shatters.

Amazing.

2 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Holy **** I have never shouted yassssss at TV program before pure Kyle gif TV but that moment he shatters.

Amazing.

White the NK did his resurrection thing my wife said "Oh no, now they're back to where they started," but then she cheered when he shattered and all his army starting falling down.  Great entertainment.

4 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

White the NK did his resurrection thing my wife said "Oh no, now they're back to where they started," but then she cheered when he shattered and all his army starting falling down.  Great entertainment.

Haha , I think a lot of people cheered. Crazy how a tv show can draw you in that much. 

17 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Can't even get the wife to watch it she gave up after season one.

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

Missus just watched it on the TV, now that it's not as bright outside, & it managed to see it fine. Had it on Technicolor setting.

Sent me this as a text: ???

Sums it up nicely. 

Ooooo “technicolor”

F21CC694-0100-496F-8E88-E823A395CE27.jpeg

alwaysthereinspirit
38 minutes ago, Barack said:

Actual OLED TV...

20190429_181812.jpg

Yep, that's exactly how it looked last night.

The problem was not only how dark so many of the scenes were, but also how utterly **** and compressed the quality is on the Sky broadcast. It looked horrific in places and was hard to watch, especially with the banding. Never known a TV show to be so bad for it.

Edited by Ray Gin

16 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The problem was not only how dark so many of the scenes were, but also how utterly **** and compressed the quality is on the Sky broadcast. It looked horrific in places and was hard to watch, especially with the banding. Never known a TV show to be so bad for it.

Im not sure what version it is i watch but it always goes straight into discussing the episode or scenes with crew after its quite cool if you can find it

10 hours ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Hide contents

Rhaegal the dragon Jon was riding is seen in the preview for next week, as is Ghost although not sure how he survived. I also wasn't even sure if Drogon had survived when he came down next to Dany and Jorah, but he also appears in the trailer

Theres a bit of an anti climax feel. I think we all expected a massacre of lots of our favourites this week. In the end only Jorah and Theon can be said to be major deaths (and the NK). Lyanna, Dolorous Edd and Beric were cannon fodder.

I think a better way would have been to deal with the political Dany/Jon v Cersei stuff first then the battle north. The whole show has built up to the Great War and played down the importance of the iron throne. Yet now we have 3 episodes for the latter battle.

I wanted a bit more of story/motive for the NK other than just being a killing machine. Also, no explanation why he and his army were in hibernation for 1000 years.

Be interesting to see how Dany approaches things. She has effectively lost her Dothraki army and it seems a large amount of her unsullied (and also lost most of her Westerosi followers last season from Dorne, Reach and Iron Islands). So she doesn't have much of an army now (albeit the remaining Northerners and Vale seem to be loyal to her from the preview given her sacrifices), and she may have to rely more on her dragons. She has always stopped herself from being Queen of the Ashes but may have to utilise the dragons. That may lead to Jon turning on her and being once again a reluctant leader.

Spoiler

I've been wondering about this - to what extent were the forces of Dorne and the Reach actually wiped out? From my understanding, Martell was attacked while she was travelling back to Dorne to rally her forces and her fleet when she was attacked. There should still be other houses and forces in Dorne which could be rallied. Similarly, when the Tyrells were attacked, they didn't have all the forces of the Reach in that battle (as far as I'm aware). 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Just re watching the picture quality is crap

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
1 hour ago, Toggie88 said:

Hide contents

I've been wondering about this - to what extent were the forces of Dorne and the Reach actually wiped out? From my understanding, Martell was attacked while she was travelling back to Dorne to rally her forces and her fleet when she was attacked. There should still be other houses and forces in Dorne which could be rallied. Similarly, when the Tyrells were attacked, they didn't have all the forces of the Reach in that battle (as far as I'm aware). 

As we’re discussing something from last season I won’t bother with spoiler tags. You’re right that the Sands are attacked on route to Dorne so not sure what is left there or who rules it. I think most of House Tyrell is at Highgarden when Jaime takes it. The smaller vassal houses previously banneen lto Tyrell defected to Cersei such as the Tarlys , whilst their lord and heir were executed By Dany some bent the knee, not sure where they have gone. 

Theres so many old big houses like Tyrell, Tarly, Frey, Martell, Baratheon all pretty much wiped out I wonder if they will touch upon that in the last episodes and who the hell is running half the country. 

Placid Casual

Next three episodes... everyone putting their feet up before having a couple of weeks at an all-inclusive in Dorne...

What an episode. Outstanding television.

Spoiler

So wholesale slaughter and hundreds if not thousands dead, the night king gone. Meanwhile Cersei has 20k soldiers from the Golden Company plus the Lannister army. I predict some very odd twists in the story line.

Edited by Tazio

Kalamazoo Jambo
7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

So wholesale slaughter and hundreds if not thousands dead, the night king gone. Meanwhile Cersei has 20k soldiers from the Golden Company plus the Lannister army. I predict some very odd twists in the story line.

Will the elephants have any relevance?

Cersei REALLY wanted those elephants.

mulleted_jambo
7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Think a few folk need to get new TVs.

Where are you watching it?? My tv is new but I’m using now tv and the quality isn't great. 

I assume it it is okay if you are watching through sky so not streaming. 

5 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Will the elephants have any relevance?

Cersei REALLY wanted those elephants.

I reckon The Mountain riding an elephant would be a terrifying sight.

Edit, when I say riding I mean on top of it before the usual JKB filthy minds post 

Edited by Tazio

1 hour ago, Peebo said:

Almost an unwatchable picture (and terrible sound) via Now TV. But still decent enough. 

Sound was shocking. Need to get the Blu-ray to get decent sound. Put through an amp and still brutal. All the money they spend on the series and the sound is dreadful

loved the episode though. Absolutely brilliant.

PQ wasn’t too bad but we watched it in pitch black room.

11 minutes ago, mulleted_jambo said:

Where are you watching it?? My tv is new but I’m using now tv and the quality isn't great. 

I assume it it is okay if you are watching through sky so not streaming. 

I download a 1080p version every Monday AM. Watching on a fairly basic 2018 4k Toshiba.

It was dark and the storm/dragon flying scenes were basically a whitewash but the rest of fine.

9 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Sound was shocking. Need to get the Blu-ray to get decent sound. Put through an amp and still brutal. All the money they spend on the series and the sound is dreadful

loved the episode though. Absolutely brilliant.

PQ wasn’t too bad but we watched it in pitch black room.

What are you watching it on and from? Perfect sound and vision for me - music in particular was awesome.

Just now, hughesie27 said:

I download a 1080p version every Monday AM. Watching on a fairly basic 2018 4k Toshiba.

It was dark and the storm/dragon flying scenes were basically a whitewash but the rest of fine.

You really can sound a bit smug sometimes Hughesie. 

Well I watched it on a fairly basic 1080p Samsung linked by HDMI to my MacBook Pro which sends full HD and it was dark as ****. 

mulleted_jambo
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I think it must be the now tv stream that isn’t good enough. I changed the brightness settings and it brightened it up a lot but went a wee bit jerky if there was a lot of movement on the screen. 

Still enjoyable even with that. 

Rewatched. I'd best describe that episode as frustrating. The production aside (sped up fight scenes, very dark lighting even after prepping my telly on dynamic settings, and the artifacting from compression, apparently)

It's VERY obvious we are now ahead of the books. Certain characters escaping sudden deaths and fighting past impossible odds.

I expected more shock by GoT own high standards.

Still can't wait to see what develops, few twists to come for sure