Stoke City Fans

Italian Lambretta

15 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I'm not debating the politics of the poppy, merely debating that he is in fact a British citizen. 

But he has made public his desire to be called Irish and play for a country that is not part of the United Kingdom.  He needs to make a decision about whether he wants an Irish Republic Passport or a UK one.  His rights as a British citizen have been fought for by Millions of men and women in the past and he has no right to dishonour their memory.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• i8hibsh

• Thomaso

• Bridge of Djoum

Just now, Heartsofgold said:

But he has made public his desire to be called Irish and play for a country that is not part of the United Kingdom.  He needs to make a decision about whether he wants an Irish Republic Passport or a UK one.  His rights as a British citizen have been fought for by Millions of men and women in the past and he has no right to dishonour their memory.

I'm not arguing with any of that. I was just pointing out that he is definitely British. He cannot be Irish just through choice, he's never lived there. Anyone can get a passport for another country through occupation, applying for citizenship or through their family heritage.

1 minute ago, Heartsofgold said:

Surely he has the right to do and say as he pleases, a right we all enjoy because of people we will remember on Sunday ?

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

What did you mean by 'keep his little mouth shut' in the context of the poppy and the associated politics. I cannot see any other reading of that comment than a degradation of the freedom of speech which as pointed out is one of the democratic freedoms that the British Army has been employed throughout history to protect. Most notably in WWII against the NAZI regime who didn't like foreigners and didn't respect their rights. That whole period of history was the galvanising factor in the creation of the UN and European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, an opportunity to protect essential freedoms for everyone not just those who agree with our own politics.

Many people on this thread and no-one apart from you has questioned it as I am sure they all took it in context.  You are clearly trying to go down the 'i8hibsh is a racist' route.  You have digressed onto the usual diversity soundbyte and even thrown in a right wing comment.  All so very predictable  Throw in Nazi and President Donald Trump for the full house..

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Many people on this thread and no-one apart from you has questioned it as I am sure they all took it in context.  You are clearly trying to go down the 'i8hibsh is a racist' route.  You have digressed onto the usual diversity soundbyte and even thrown in a right wing comment.  All so very predictable  Throw in Nazi and President Donald Trump for the full house..

You'd be struggling to be racist against James McLean as he's a white male from Northern Ireland. Assuming that you are a white male from Scotland I don't even see how that would be possible? I was merely pointing out that everyone should enjoy freedom of speech regardless of if they are Irish or Northern Irish or from Burma whilst pointing out the hypocrisy in degrading freedom of speech with one breath whilst defending the symbol of the poppy with another.

4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You'd be struggling to be racist against James McLean as he's a white male from Northern Ireland. Assuming that you are a white male from Scotland I don't even see how that would be possible? I was merely pointing out that everyone should enjoy freedom of speech regardless of if they are Irish or Northern Irish or from Burma whilst pointing out the hypocrisy in degrading freedom of speech with one breath whilst defending the symbol of the poppy with another.

I think you will be hard pushed to find a bigger advocator of free speech than me.  I also like respect and there has to be a common ground or correlation between the two.

1 hour ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Classless. 

Oh how I'd love for you to tell my RM brother that view.

:spoton:

I wrote a very similar post to this, but it appears to have been removed. If one of the mods can message me with the reasoning I’d appreciate it.

Bridge of Djoum
28 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I think you will be hard pushed to find a bigger advocator of free speech than me.  I also like respect and there has to be a common ground or correlation between the two.

''Big advocator of free speech'' i8, November 5th.

''McLean should shut his mouth'', also i8, also November 5th.

2 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

''Big advocator of free speech'' i8, November 5th.

''McLean should shut his mouth'', also i8, also November 5th.

Hiya

Bridge of Djoum
5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Hiya

Hiya pal.

Some contradiction from you there, eh? Brilliant wee man, keep it up.

6 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Hiya pal.

Some contradiction from you there, eh? Brilliant wee man, keep it up.

Ever told anyone in your 50 years to shut up big felly?  Of course is the answer.  Against free speech? No is the answer.

Bridge of Djoum
6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Ever told anyone in your 50 years to shut up big felly?  Of course is the answer.  Against free speech? No is the answer.

50 years? Genuinely no idea what that means.

As for the rest of your post, no idea what that means either.

Day drinking today, big felly?

2 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

50 years? Genuinely no idea what that means.

As for the rest of your post, no idea what that means either.

Day drinking today, big felly?

I thought you said you were almost 50.  If I have aged you then I apologise.

Bridge of Djoum
9 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I thought you said you were almost 50.  If I have aged you then I apologise.

No mate, I'm not 50 or beyond.

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, sassenach said:

The Boro were there at the weekend. Apparently McClean was getting stick from his own fans as well as ours.

Here's a thing - can anyone remember when poppies on a football shirt became a thing? We used to just have a respectful silence before kickoff  and that was it.

While I disagree with McClean's stance, I'm also not comfortable with football putting him in a position where he has to make a public statement by choosing not to wear a shirt with a poppy.

As I remember, it was our own club that was the first to wear a poppy on their shirts.

It came about due to us being forced to play at Aberdeen on Remembrance Sunday (due to TV) therefore meaning the first team would be unable to attend the Haymarket service.

Despite pleas to the SPL the game was played on Remembrance Day and the club were given permission to wear a poppy in order to pay their respects.

I think it was so well received that it was made a regular thing and others followed.

Of course I could be talking bollocks but that's the first time I can recall the wearing a poppy on the team jerseys.

joondalupjambo

McLean came out and gave his reasons for not wearing a poppy years ago.   If people choose to ignore his reasons or cannot be bothered to find out his reasons then that is not his fault.  Every year this seems to happen and every year it seems to kick off.   I think, even though it is boring, he should re-post his reasons fully and that way he can take the high ground and say that people who abuse him really are not wanting to respect his position or understand his position even though it has been widely publicized.  I know boring but what else does he do, keep on taking abuse from dare I say it the uneducated?   This was his statement when playing for Wigan.  

Whether I agree or disagree with him is neither here nor there.  He has made his position clear, the reasons to back it up and so we should let him and others do this.   An eye for an eye is not the answer here.

Wigan’s James McClean has explained his reasons for not wearing a poppy on his shirt as part of the annual Remembrance Day commemorations in a letter to the club’s chairman, Dave Whelan, which has been published on the Championship side’s website.

McClean, who started Friday night’s game against Bolton on the bench, said it was a personal decision and sent the letter to Whelan before they met in person to discuss the issue. Whelan accepted the Republic of Ireland midfielder’s stance and both stated their wish for the letter to be published in full.

“For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different,” McLean wrote, "Please understand, Mr Whelan, that when you come from Creggan like myself or the Bogside, Brandywell or the majority of places in Derry, every person still lives in the shadow of one of the darkest days in Ireland’s history – even if like me you were born nearly 20 years after the event. It is just a part of who we are, ingrained into us from birth.

“Mr Whelan, for me to wear a poppy would be as much a gesture of disrespect for the innocent people who lost their lives in the Troubles – and Bloody Sunday especially - as I have in the past been accused of disrespecting the victims of WWI and WWII. It would be seen as an act of disrespect to those people; to my people.

“I am not a war monger, or anti-British, or a terrorist or any of the accusations levelled at me in the past. I am a peaceful guy. I believe everyone should live side by side, whatever their religious or political beliefs which I respect and ask for people to respect mine in return. Since last year I am a father and I want my daughter to grow up in a peaceful world, like any parent.

“I am very proud of where I come from and I just cannot do something that I believe is wrong. In life, if you’re a man, you should stand up for what you believe in.

“I know you may not agree with my feelings but I hope very much that you understand my reasons. As the owner of the club I am proud to play for, I believe I owe both you and the club’s supporters this explanation.”

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, sassenach said:

The Boro were there at the weekend. Apparently McClean was getting stick from his own fans as well as ours.

Here's a thing - can anyone remember when poppies on a football shirt became a thing? We used to just have a respectful silence before kickoff  and that was it.

While I disagree with McClean's stance, I'm also not comfortable with football putting him in a position where he has to make a public statement by choosing not to wear a shirt with a poppy.

As I remember, it was our own club that was the first to wear a poppy on their shirts.

It came about due to us being forced to play at Aberdeen on Remembrance Sunday (due to TV) therefore meaning the first team would be unable to attend the Haymarket service.

Despite pleas to the SPL the game was played on Remembrance Day and the club were given permission to wear a poppy in order to pay their respects.

I think it was so well received that it was made a regular thing and others followed.

Of course I could be talking bollocks but that's the first time I can recall the wearing a poppy on the team jerseys.

15 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

McLean came out and gave his reasons for not wearing a poppy years ago.   If people choose to ignore his reasons or cannot be bothered to find out his reasons then that is not his fault.  Every year this seems to happen and every year it seems to kick off.   I think, even though it is boring, he should re-post his reasons fully and that way he can take the high ground and say that people who abuse him really are not wanting to respect his position or understand his position even though it has been widely publicized.  I know boring but what else does he do, keep on taking abuse from dare I say it the uneducated?   This was his statement when playing for Wigan.  

Whether I agree or disagree with him is neither here nor there.  He has made his position clear, the reasons to back it up and so we should let him and others do this.   An eye for an eye is not the answer here.

Wigan’s James McClean has explained his reasons for not wearing a poppy on his shirt as part of the annual Remembrance Day commemorations in a letter to the club’s chairman, Dave Whelan, which has been published on the Championship side’s website.

McClean, who started Friday night’s game against Bolton on the bench, said it was a personal decision and sent the letter to Whelan before they met in person to discuss the issue. Whelan accepted the Republic of Ireland midfielder’s stance and both stated their wish for the letter to be published in full.

“For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different,” McLean wrote, "Please understand, Mr Whelan, that when you come from Creggan like myself or the Bogside, Brandywell or the majority of places in Derry, every person still lives in the shadow of one of the darkest days in Ireland’s history – even if like me you were born nearly 20 years after the event. It is just a part of who we are, ingrained into us from birth.

“Mr Whelan, for me to wear a poppy would be as much a gesture of disrespect for the innocent people who lost their lives in the Troubles – and Bloody Sunday especially - as I have in the past been accused of disrespecting the victims of WWI and WWII. It would be seen as an act of disrespect to those people; to my people.

“I am not a war monger, or anti-British, or a terrorist or any of the accusations levelled at me in the past. I am a peaceful guy. I believe everyone should live side by side, whatever their religious or political beliefs which I respect and ask for people to respect mine in return. Since last year I am a father and I want my daughter to grow up in a peaceful world, like any parent.

“I am very proud of where I come from and I just cannot do something that I believe is wrong. In life, if you’re a man, you should stand up for what you believe in.

“I know you may not agree with my feelings but I hope very much that you understand my reasons. As the owner of the club I am proud to play for, I believe I owe both you and the club’s supporters this explanation.”

From the Stoke City website last week:

STOKE CITY can confirm that James McClean will not wear a Remembrance Day Poppy on his match shirt for forthcoming games against Middlesbrough and Nottingham Forest.

James McClean said: “I know many people won’t agree with my decision or even attempt to gain an understanding of why I don’t wear a poppy.

“I accept that but I would ask people to be respectful of the choice I have made, just as I’m respectful of people who do choose to wear a poppy.”

The Club added: “As a Club we will be supporting the Royal British Legion’s Poppy Appeal by wearing the Poppy on our home shirt in the fixture against Middlesbrough on November 3rd and on our away shirt in the fixture against Nottingham Forest on November 10th. The Club is proud of its close connections with the Armed Forces and have also invited members of the Armed Forces to join our remembrance at the Middlesbrough fixture.

“However, we recognise that the Poppy means different things to different individuals and communities and (like the Royal British Legion) do not believe that anybody should be forced or even pressured to wear the Poppy against their free will. James has informed us that he will not be wearing a Remembrance Day Poppy in our next two games. We respect his decision and his right to follow his own convictions.”

James or the Club will not be making any further comment on the matter.

2 hours ago, Boab said:

Surely he has the right to do and say as he pleases, a right we all enjoy because of people we will remember on Sunday ?

No he doesn't, in the same manner as it's not the done thing to call someone from the LGBTQ community by any of they many disgusting names they are called in the past.

The Poppy honours our war dead, right or wrong.  Most of those dead were young men and women who had volunteered to defend this country with their lives. 

Believe it or not I actually understand his reasons for not wearing one but he has been very vocal and outspoken on those reason, making himself a target.

If you don't agree with this symbol, fine I can accept that however keep your reasons to yourself.  We, as a free country, owe those departed thanks to War/Combat a debt of gratitude that will never be paid in full.  Never.

4 hours ago, Thomaso said:

He is guaranteed to end up at Celtic - the perfect Club for him to continue to express his bigoted views and antics!

Preferably not. As if we need another widely hated Irish figure in this country to accuse us of all being a bunch of filthy racists 

I don't care if he wears a poppy or not. I do have an issue with him quoting a convicted IRA terrorist, Bobby Sands, in his repsonce to the grief he is getting. Probably explains why he gets as mu h grief as he does.

3 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I'm not arguing with any of that. I was just pointing out that he is definitely British. He cannot be Irish just through choice, he's never lived there. Anyone can get a passport for another country through occupation, applying for citizenship or through their family heritage.

GFA says otherwise. 

Fairly obvious that Maclean hates the British and is a Republican. Couldn't care less that he doesn't wear a poppy but do think it's out of order that he makes a big thing out of hating the Brits. Doesn't mind our money, tho' - yeh, man of real principle

1 hour ago, Heartsofgold said:

No he doesn't, in the same manner as it's not the done thing to call someone from the LGBTQ community by any of they many disgusting names they are called in the past.

The Poppy honours our war dead, right or wrong.  Most of those dead were young men and women who had volunteered to defend this country with their lives. 

Believe it or not I actually understand his reasons for not wearing one but he has been very vocal and outspoken on those reason, making himself a target.

If you don't agree with this symbol, fine I can accept that however keep your reasons to yourself.  We, as a free country, owe those departed thanks to War/Combat a debt of gratitude that will never be paid in full.  Never.

Well, can I respectfully suggest you don't get what it is to have the freedoms we enjoy. It is exactly what he is doing ! It may seem unpalatable to some but start to say people can't pass comment, within the law, and you're on shaky ground. The freedoms we enjoy mean people can be very vocal on things they are against.

1 hour ago, Heartsofgold said:

I don’t recall the timeline but I expect he was forced into making statements because he opted out of wearing a poppy. 

I appreciate some of his views are at odds with many of us but this annual poppy discussion is becoming tedious. 

32 minutes ago, robroy1874 said:

Fairly obvious that Maclean hates the British and is a Republican. Couldn't care less that he doesn't wear a poppy but do think it's out of order that he makes a big thing out of hating the Brits. Doesn't mind our money, tho' - yeh, man of real principle

Plenty of Scottish Nats raking in the cash while working in Big Bad London. 

I'd respect his choice if he put his money where his mouth is and played in another country. He can't seriously be making a political statement by refusing to wear a poppy but in the same breath be taking money and entertaining the people of the country responsible for his 'need' to make said political statement? 

More fool stoke for signing him in the first place though, they knew this would happen and decided it was worth it. Reflects badly on them. Can hardly say he's Ronaldo or Messi and therefore worth the baggage. Bang average player.

Also, what annoys me is there is a white poppy for those that want to remember all victims of war I.E those murdered on Bloody Sunday. He could be using his platform for that instead of this yearly shitshow. 

42 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

GFA?

Good friday agreement ensures that any citizens of NI can choose to be either Irish or British without prejudice. 

Edited by ri Alban

21 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Good friday agreement ensures that any citizens of NI can choose to be either Irish or British without prejudice. 

Can choose to be British or Irish or both i.e. duel nationality which will come in very handy post Brexit. Interesting that he played for Northern Ireland u21 but then changed allegiance. Purely political or religious or simply down to the fact that Ireland at that point in time were far more competitive with regards international football. Does anyone know what passport he uses? Two points worth noting are than McLean has stated that he would happily wear the poppy if it was to commemorate only soldiers from the First and Second World Wars. Secondly the British Legion have stated that the custom of 'poppy shaming' goes against the very nature of the symbol. As previously posted it marks the sacrifice of British troops who were fighting to protect democracy and the associated freedoms and rights that it represents.

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

668a6c1b495b67eeef504b6fb4608f7e.jpg

Whole thing is really odd. 

The Yugoslavia one especially.  Looking at UK casualties of war websitre 72 British soldiers died in the Balkan conflict.  

6 hours ago, Thomaso said:

So many with so much hate of Britain and what it stands for - so many choosing to live and earn their living in Britain.....

How does not wearing a poppy equate to hating britain??

5 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

Everyone born in northern Ireland has the right to an irish passport and to.play for Ireland( at least pretty sure that is the case). And the poppy is not just for those who fought on 'our' side

Do you think clubs would act differently if players refused to wear the club top advertising drink, gambling or any thing that they were against.

AlphonseCapone
6 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

That's uncalled for.  

Why? It was. 

6 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

If I don’t acknowledge that someday I will die does that mean  I will live forever? He’s British.

He can both Irish and British just like you can be Scottish and British. Plenty folk who aren't republicans in the North are comfortable describing themselves as both. 

6 hours ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Given his reasons, if you look at it rationally I know that's difficult with the Poppy debate. 

I don't think his refusal is based on a hatred of all things British or deliberately being disrespectful. 

From his perspective and his communites they see the role of the British army differently (right or wrong) from the majority of the UK. 

If I grew up there I would likely have a polarised view dependent on which side I come from. 

He supports a United Ireland 

Every right to hold those views as long as he is not advocating violence, have not seen him do as much . 

He has stated he would wear a poppy if it was to remember those who died in the 2 world wars only again fair enough. 

I don't agree with him but he isn't arguing for violence as far as I see, so is entitled to his position. 

Media as ever hyping up divisions on this encouraging nonsense. 

It's sad and disrespectful to those who died in and out of service the way remembrance has become a political football and a source for nationalistic rage. 

Brilliant post. 

6 hours ago, maroonexile said:

Will McLean condemn the IRA for killing more Catholic civilians in his hometown than the British ever did?

Doubt it.

6 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

How does James McLean feel about the IRA murdering people from HIS own town? They've killed more of their own than anyone else.

And spare me the freedom fighter shite, bombing funerals, the utter mindless atrocity at Omagh,the willful murder of children. The IRA and their various splinter groups spread more terror, torture, extortion and murder among their own communities than any other group. McLean can **** off with his blinkered, republican views. Happy to take British money though.

Talk about fudging issues. This has nothing to do with the IRA. It's about the poppy and why he chooses not to wear it. 

5 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Northern Ireland is still Irish. It might not be the most definitive evidence but St. Patrick's day, the Irish patron Saint, is a bank holiday in the North. Like I've said to you about, British and Irish aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. 

4 hours ago, maroonexile said:

:spoton:

I wrote a very similar post to this, but it appears to have been removed. If one of the mods can message me with the reasoning I’d appreciate it.

I didn't see your post but the whole, "I'd love to see you say that to..." is basically threatening. It's also such a pointless thing to say. 

AlphonseCapone
35 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Everyone born in northern Ireland has the right to an irish passport and to.play for Ireland( at least pretty sure that is the case). And the poppy is not just for those who fought on 'our' side

Correct, under the terms of the GFA those born in the North can choose British, Irish or dual citizenship. There certain rules and regulations around it. 

There’s always been people against wearing poppies.  

Forget them, let them stay in the background , and those who appreciate the past war efforts of ordinary and professional people, keep wearing it with pride.

Just like how it used to be.

Growing up you never got the pish you get these days. I can’t remember it anyway?.....What the **** is it with this country now?

Todays world of media saturation sometimes doesn’t help either.  

7 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Correct, under the terms of the GFA those born in the North can choose British, Irish or dual citizenship. There certain rules and regulations around it. 

Its completely different from being Scottish and British as you don’t get a Scottish passport. It’s not actually a legally separate nationality due to the Act of Union. We are all British subjects and as subject to laws of the United Kingdom as well as delegated Scottish legislation.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Its completely different from being Scottish and British as you don’t get a Scottish passport. It’s not actually a legally separate nationality due to the Act of Union. We are all British subjects and as subject to laws of the United Kingdom as well as delegated Scottish legislation.

Nationality has no bearing on this. You have to observe the law of the land regardless of your nationality.

You're correct though, those born in the North of Ireland have far more control over their nationality than we do. 

SpruceBringsteen

Anyone doing anything special for the 10th anniversary of this tedious, pointless moonhowling next year?

For my part I shall be making the trip to Barrow, Alaska as I've heard there's someone there who doesn't know that James McClean personally masterminded the M62 coach bombing.

11 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Nationality has no bearing on this. You have to observe the law of the land regardless of your nationality.

You're correct though, those born in the North of Ireland have far more control over their nationality than we do. 

Yes but being Scottish doesn’t actually mean anything other than national pride as we’re not a sovereign state. Our legislative power comes from The Scotland Act 1998 which is an Act of the United Kingdom parliament and due to its sovereignty it could be repealed, although that would end in a constitutional crisis. Being Irish or British has massive practical implications, especially post Brexit.

Bridge of Djoum
27 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Why? It was. 

He can both Irish and British just like you can be Scottish and British. Plenty folk who aren't republicans in the North are comfortable describing themselves as both. 

Brilliant post. 

Talk about fudging issues. This has nothing to do with the IRA. It's about the poppy and why he chooses not to wear it. 

Northern Ireland is still Irish. It might not be the most definitive evidence but St. Patrick's day, the Irish patron Saint, is a bank holiday in the North. Like I've said to you about, British and Irish aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. 

I didn't see your post but the whole, "I'd love to see you say that to..." is basically threatening. It's also such a pointless thing to say. 

No issue fudging whatsoever.

He is outspoken against actions committed by the British in his home town. I have yet to hear him speak out against terrorism that claimed more victims in that region than any military action. I understand it's about his reasons for not wearing the Poppy. My question is, how does he show his displeasure at the murders of countless Catholics by an organization who claim to be upstanding for them? Because if he doesn't, he's a hypocrite, a republican and supporting terrorism. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46095169

Stoke winger in trouble with FA over offensive word in social media post where he called some Stoke fans "cavemen" after refusing to wear the poppy. Full story in the link. Spoke to my barber, a Stoke fan himself who told me that he has never worn the poppy and cant see the big deal in his opinion. 

He has previously explained why he does not wear a poppy, and Stoke issued a statement before Saturday's 0-0 draw in the Championship confirming his stance had not changed.

Thought with Remembrance Sunday approaching that this will make a decent discussion....  

Edited by Marvin

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46095169

Stoke winger in trouble with FA over offensive word in social media post where he called some Stoke fans "cavemen" after refusing to wear the poppy. Full story in the link. Spoke to my barber, a Stoke fan himself who told me that he has never worn the poppy and cant see the big deal in his opinion. 

He has previously explained why he does not wear a poppy, and Stoke issued a statement before Saturday's 0-0 draw in the Championship confirming his stance had not changed.

Thought with Remembrance Sunday approaching that this will make a decent discussion....  

Go to the shed.