Stoke City Fans

Italian Lambretta

Italian Lambretta

Good to see them outing that terrorist Loving **** McClean

What a truly disgusting individual who will undoubtedly end up at Sellick once stoke show him the door,

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• i8hibsh

• Thomaso

• Bridge of Djoum

He is guaranteed to end up at Celtic - the perfect Club for him to continue to express his bigoted views and antics!

I assume it is the usual. McClean never wore a poppy etc and he is getting abuse for it?  McClean has every right not to wear a poppy - I really have no issue with it.  What he should not do however, the little distasteful and disrespectful rodent is forget where he is.  This is not his country, he is in our country so he needs to keep his little mouth shut about it.  If he doesn't like it, he knows where the door is.

3 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I assume it is the usual. McClean never wore a poppy etc and he is getting abuse for it?  McClean has every right not to wear a poppy - I really have no issue with it.  What he should not do however, the little distasteful and disrespectful rodent is forget where he is.  This is not his country, he is in our country so he needs to keep his little mouth shut about it.  If he doesn't like it, he knows where the door is.

Fair comment. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-bromwich-albion/11750741/James-McCleans-snub-to-Englands-flag-was-disgraceful-if-he-hates-it-so-much-he-should-leave-the-Premier-League.html

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

As I understand it, he doesn’t make a song and dance about not wearing it but has felt obliged to justify his decision on the basis that it is deemed almost an act of terrorism not to wear one if you are a public figure. 

He was getting stuff chucked at him so he probably felt he had the right to say why he did. 

That would be correct if he wasn’t born in Northern Ireland and thus British. You really need to do some research before rattling that cat-flap of a gob!

James McClean is hated because he's an Irish Catholic living in the UK ... nothing to do with his inflammatory attention seeking poppy comments.

:lenny:

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

So many with so much hate of Britain and what it stands for - so many choosing to live and earn their living in Britain.....

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

So many with so much hate of Britain and what it stands for - so many choosing to live and earn their living in Britain.....

Just cos British troops murdered people from his town. 

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

That would be correct if he wasn’t born in Northern Ireland and thus British. You really need to do some research before rattling that cat-flap of a gob!

McLean does not acknowledge that Northern Ireland is part of Britain (the UK) or that he is British.

Maybe you need to do a bit of research yourself.

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

He has chosen to not be part of Britain. Not sure I see your side here.

2 minutes ago, sassenach said:

The Boro were there at the weekend. Apparently McClean was getting stick from his own fans as well as ours.

Here's a thing - can anyone remember when poppies on a football shirt became a thing? We used to just have a respectful silence before kickoff  and that was it.

While I disagree with McClean's stance, I'm also not comfortable with football putting him in a position where he has to make a public statement by choosing not to wear a shirt with a poppy.

The British defeats in Iraq and Afghanistan led to activities to boost morale. Armed Services Day etc etc. 

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

If he feels that strongly about it I an surprised he can stand to live and earn his living in this country - double standards no??

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

The British defeats in Iraq and Afghanistan led to activities to boost morale. Armed Services Day etc etc. 

What a sad comment that is.

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

That's uncalled for.  

Just now, Thomaso said:

If he feels that strongly about it I an surprised he can stand to live and earn his living in this country - double standards no??

Not really. Derry is part of Britain. Loads of Irish people come here. 

3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

McLean does not acknowledge that Northern Ireland is part of Britain (the UK) or that he is British.

Maybe you need to do a bit of research yourself.

If I don’t acknowledge that someday I will die does that mean  I will live forever? He’s British.

Just now, Heartsofgold said:

That's uncalled for.  

Yeah. Was a big mistake. Turned things badly against British Army in N.Ireland boosting a weak IRA. 

5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

He has chosen to not be part of Britain. Not sure I see your side here.

You said it wasn’t his country. It is as he was born In Derry, which is legally part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You said it wasn’t his country. It is as he was born In Derry, which is legally part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

He has 'opted' out.  How is it his country?  Are you suggesting he has more than one slice of the cake?

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah. Was a big mistake. Turned things badly against British Army in N.Ireland boosting a weak IRA. 

It was a big mistake.  The decision to send in the Army was originally to protect the Irish Catholic population but the Unionists saw it as a boost to them while the IRA saw it as a military invasion/escalation and responded as such.  The situation was already volatile and the Army were, basically, used as cannon fodder in an unwinnable religious and bigoted (on BOTH sides) insurgency that was just as vicious as were have seen in Iraq for the last 20 years.

More robust yet understanding policing was what was needed but there is not way this was going to happen in the 1960s/70s as the RUC was 95%+ Protestant and most of them members of the Orange Order.

ToadKiller Dog

Given his reasons, if you look at it rationally I know that's difficult with the Poppy debate. 

I don't think his refusal is based on a hatred of all things British or deliberately being disrespectful. 

From his perspective and his communites they see the role of the British army differently (right or wrong) from the majority of the UK. 

If I grew up there I would likely have a polarised view dependent on which side I come from. 

He supports a United Ireland 

Every right to hold those views as long as he is not advocating violence, have not seen him do as much . 

He has stated he would wear a poppy if it was to remember those who died in the 2 world wars only again fair enough. 

I don't agree with him but he isn't arguing for violence as far as I see, so is entitled to his position. 

Media as ever hyping up divisions on this encouraging nonsense. 

It's sad and disrespectful to those who died in and out of service the way remembrance has become a political football and a source for nationalistic rage. 

Bridge of Djoum

How does James McLean feel about the IRA murdering people from HIS own town? They've killed more of their own than anyone else.

And spare me the freedom fighter shite, bombing funerals, the utter mindless atrocity at Omagh,the willful murder of children. The IRA and their various splinter groups spread more terror, torture, extortion and murder among their own communities than any other group. McLean can **** off with his blinkered, republican views. Happy to take British money though.

Bridge of Djoum
21 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Classless. 

Oh how I'd love for you to tell my RM brother that view.

10 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

He has 'opted' out.  How is it his country?  Are you suggesting he has more than one slice of the cake?

A lot of people would rather be Scottish than British but cannot simply ‘opt out’ as you call it. He’s never lived in Ireland and had to get special dispensation from FIFA in 2012 to play for the Republic of Ireland after representing Northern Ireland at u21 level. 

Салатные палочки
12 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

It was a big mistake.  The decision to send in the Army was originally to protect the Irish Catholic population but the Unionists saw it as a boost to them while the IRA saw it as a military invasion/escalation and responded as such.  The situation was already volatile and the Army were, basically, used as cannon fodder in an unwinnable religious and bigoted (on BOTH sides) insurgency that was just as vicious as were have seen in Iraq for the last 20 years.

More robust yet understanding policing was what was needed but there is not way this was going to happen in the 1960s/70s as the RUC was 95%+ Protestant and most of them members of the Orange Order.

And they had the 'B' Specials, who were nothing more than a quasi-military wing of the RUC, all reservists usually with a hatred of catholics.  

I can see McClean's point given what happened in Derry in the 1970's and 80's and I don't know, he may have had relatives killed by the armed forces.  I happen to think that if he was a better footballer, he wouldn't get half the flack he does for choosing not to wear a poppy or observe the national anthem.  However, he is an average footballer earning big bucks in the most high profile leagues in the world.  

21 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Given his reasons, if you look at it rationally I know that's difficult with the Poppy debate. 

I don't think his refusal is based on a hatred of all things British or deliberately being disrespectful. 

From his perspective and his communites they see the role of the British army differently (right or wrong) from the majority of the UK. 

If I grew up there I would likely have a polarised view dependent on which side I come from. 

He supports a United Ireland 

Every right to hold those views as long as he is not advocating violence, have not seen him do as much . 

He has stated he would wear a poppy if it was to remember those who died in the 2 world wars only again fair enough. 

I don't agree with him but he isn't arguing for violence as far as I see, so is entitled to his position. 

Media as ever hyping up divisions on this encouraging nonsense. 

It's sad and disrespectful to those who died in and out of service the way remembrance has become a political football and a source for nationalistic rage. 

Agree with this, especially the last sentence.

7 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

A lot of people would rather be Scottish than British but cannot simply ‘opt out’ as you call it. He’s never lived in Ireland and had to get special dispensation from FIFA in 2012 to play for the Republic of Ireland after representing Northern Ireland at u21 level. 

Ah, so he opts out and wants nothing to do with the UK except all the nice little things.  You can’t cherry pick.  If Scotland opted out the UK that would be it – no cherries outside Scotland to pick.  Life just doesn’t work like that.  He does not want to be British or part of the UK.  He wants to be part of the Republic of Ireland.  He is therefore NOT British anymore regardless of birth.  No issue with him wanting to be Irish,  I have been a good few times and I am a big fan of the Republic.  I like the people (in general) and I like the place.  I have a problem with someone from Ireland living in the UK and telling us about how awful we are.  If he doesn’t like it he can **** off – simples.  The reality is he likes all the good things we have which he takes with open arms.

38 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Personally I fully respect his position on this matter. Fair play to him for standing up for his principles. 

I agree with this. His choice.

34 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Another crass comment.

18 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Classless. 

Oh how I'd love for you to tell my RM brother that view.

Well said

Ah, so he opts out and wants nothing to do with the UK except all the nice little things.  You can’t cherry pick.  If Scotland opted out the UK that would be it – no cherries outside Scotland to pick.  Life just doesn’t work like that.  He does not want to be British or part of the UK.  He wants to be part of the Republic of Ireland.  He is therefore NOT British anymore regardless of birth.  No issue with him wanting to be Irish,  I have been a good few times and I am a big fan of the Republic.  I like the people (in general) and I like the place.  I have a problem with someone from Ireland living in the UK and telling us about how awful we are.  If he doesn’t like it he can **** off – simples.  The reality is he likes all the good things we have which he takes with open arms.

You'll need to elaborate on 'someone from Ireland' unless you mean Northern Ireland. Just because he's playing for the Republic of Ireland doesn't mean he's Irish. Also people from other countries should have a say as it diversifies society and brings in new ideas. 

Admin - time to close this thread please.

We have had more that enough of this shite all of last week!!

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You'll need to elaborate on 'someone from Ireland' unless you mean Northern Ireland. Just because he's playing for the Republic of Ireland doesn't mean he's Irish. Also people from other countries should have a say as it diversifies society and brings in new ideas. 

What are you talking about?  What has diversity got to do with it? I'm not against him or anyone lving in our country.  

He is biting the hand that feeds him and that is not cool with me.

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Not about this.  The Poppy is about honouring British servicemen and women who gave their lives for this country.  No one should be allowed to dishonour their memory by bad mouthing them.  In the same token, he is under no obligation to take part in this system and can choose not to wear the poppy if he so wishes but, as others have said, he has chosen to play in this country and be paid(very, very well I might add.  1 week of his salary would pay a squaddie for a whole year) in British pounds.  If he doesn't like one of our traditions enough to open his stupid gob to disrespect it then he can **** right off.

5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

What are you talking about?  What has diversity got to do with it? I'm not against him or anyone lving in our country.  

He is biting the hand that feeds him and that is not cool with me.

You said he shouldn't have a say as he's from a different country, which I then disproved. Silencing dissenting voices is a bit too right wing for my liking.

6 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Not about this.  The Poppy is about honouring British servicemen and women who gave their lives for this country.  No one should be allowed to dishonour their memory by bad mouthing them.  In the same token, he is under no obligation to take part in this system and can choose not to wear the poppy if he so wishes but, as others have said, he has chosen to play in this country and be paid(very, very well I might add.  1 week of his salary would pay a squaddie for a whole year) in British pounds.  If he doesn't like one of our traditions enough to open his stupid gob to disrespect it then he can **** right off.

I'm not debating the politics of the poppy, merely debating that he is in fact a British citizen. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

This is the first year in ages that I haven’t bought a poppy. It’s being manipulated by all sorts of idiots and the point of it is being lost in the battle to see who can get most outraged retweets on Twitter. A sign of the times.

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

You said he shouldn't have a say as he's from a different country, which I then disproved. Silencing dissenting voices is a bit too right wing for my liking.

Who says he can't have a say?  I have an issue with him being disrespectful to those that made it possible to live the life of luxury he lives.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Who says he can't have a say?  I have an issue with him being disrespectful to those that made it possible to live the life of luxury he lives.

'This is not his country, he is in our country so he needs to keep his little mouth shut about it.  If he doesn't like it, he knows where the door is.'

Pretty sure that was you. I actually agree with your core point and the politics of the poppy but not the above statement and the way you've gone about it. The poppy represents the fallen who to a large extent have lost their lives defending democracy and the associated freedoms, most notably freedom of speech. To say that foreigners cannot have a voice within our democracy actually goes against the inherent freedoms that our fallen soldier have died to protect.

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

'This is not his country, he is in our country so he needs to keep his little mouth shut about it.  If he doesn't like it, he knows where the door is.'

Pretty sure that was you. I actually agree with your core point and the politics of the poppy but not the above statement and the way you've gone about it. The poppy represents the fallen who to a large extent have lost their lives defending democracy and the associated freedoms, most notably freedom of speech. To say that foreigners cannot have a voice within our democracy actually goes against the inherent freedoms that our fallen soldier have died to protect.

But that is not what I meant, how can you take that as "he has no rights or say"?  We are talking about specifically the Poppy.  The subject matter of this thread is very much finite.  My comment was in relation to the subject matter.  No idea why you are spinning it into something else.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Those who we wear the poppy for fought for our freedom to choose what we wear/don't wear, what we support/don't support.

The annual poppy fascist outrage by the Sun and the Daily Mail masses really is cringeworthy and only seems to have started in the last decade when they started putting them on football shirts and expecting everyone on TV to wear one from about mid October :facepalm:

I wear one but don't care if others don't and in fact respect those who don't wish to wear one given where they come from like Northern Ireland or Serbs like Matic. I don't think the whole argument about them working/getting paid in Britain really matters either; burning poppies, spitting on national flags or booing anthems maybe, but just because someone works in Britain doesn't mean they have to be forced to wear a poppy ffs

Just now, i8hibsh said:

But that is not what I meant, how can you take that as "he has no rights or say"?  We are talking about specifically the Poppy.  The subject matter of this thread is very much finite.  My comment was in relation to the subject matter.  No idea why you are spinning it into something else.

What did you mean by 'keep his little mouth shut' in the context of the poppy and the associated politics. I cannot see any other reading of that comment than a degradation of the freedom of speech which as pointed out is one of the democratic freedoms that the British Army has been employed throughout history to protect. Most notably in WWII against the NAZI regime who didn't like foreigners and didn't respect their rights. That whole period of history was the galvanising factor in the creation of the UN and European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, an opportunity to protect essential freedoms for everyone not just those who agree with our own politics.