Hearts shares owned by JKB

davemclaren

During the dying days of the VR regime many hundreds on this forum very generously donated to allow us to buy shares in the late 2012 share issue to try and avoid administration or worse. This allowed those that couldn't afford, or didn't want to pay, the minimum subscription to donate some money to the club in its hour of great need. We raised around £40k ( an amazing figure ) which allowed us to buy 300,000 shares which are currently registered to JKB.

Since we acquired the shares we have done nothing with them but we are now proposing to transfer all 300,000 shares to the Foundation of Hearts so they can be held and used by them for the benefit of all Hearts supporters. 

I've started  this thread to get a feel for our memberships views on this proposal. 

Psychedelicropcircle

Never put in on this but threw the £110 to buy shares at that time.I’d donate to FOH if I knew how ?

The point I would Iike to make is that Ann Budge does not own Heart of Midlothian FC.  It is owned by the shareholders.

It annoys me that the Hearts website and even Mrs Budge herself refer to her as the owner.

I own 100K shares that I bought to insure Romanov would never own my club 100%. The same goes for Mrs Budge.

Carl Weathers
8 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

The point I would Iike to make is that Ann Budge does not own Heart of Midlothian FC.  It is owned by the shareholders.

It annoys me that the Hearts website and even Mrs Budge herself refer to her as the owner.

I own 100K shares that I bought to insure Romanov would never own my club 100%. The same goes for Mrs Budge.

I thought she owns Bidco 1874 which bought the club? Majority shareholder might be more appropriate than owner.

Edited by Carl Weathers

8 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

She is currently the majority shareholder by far so it's pretty academic but I get your point. 

27 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

During the dying days of the VR regime many hundreds on this forum very generously donated to allow us to buy shares in the late 2012 share issue to try and avoid administration or worse. This allowed those that couldn't afford, or didn't want to pay, the minimum subscription to donate some money to the club in its hour of great need. We raised around £40k ( an amazing figure ) which allowed us to buy 300,000 shares which are currently registered to JKB.

Since we acquired the shares we have done nothing with them but we are now proposing to transfer all 300,000 shares to the Foundation of Hearts so they can be held and used by them for the benefit of all Hearts supporters. 

I've started  this thread to get a feel for our memberships views on this proposal. 

Great idea Dave  :thumbsup:

28 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Could we not use the money for better drums and flags for the Gorgie boys ?

jambos are go!

I'd hold on to them as a small but potentially useful interest group. Who knows what shareholder politics will be in place in the future.

queensferryjambo

Dave when you are talking about the views of the membership are you talking about the views of paid members or all forum members? Also are you asking the people who donated or both anyone?

The reason I ask is frankly taking advice from people who are not paid members or did not donate towards the shares might be a bit messy on here with interlopers, trolls etc

Either way I put into buying group shares and am a paid member so I say yes transfer them to FOH.

4 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

I'd hold on to them as a small but potentially useful interest group. Who knows what shareholder politics will be in place in the future.

We did think about that that but a fan's forum doesn't really have a consolidated opinion it could act on. FoH provides the best available vehicle for representing the supporter view, in my opinion anyway. 

3 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Dave when you are talking about the views of the membership are you talking about the views of paid members or all forum members? Also are you asking the people who donated or both anyone?

The reason I ask is frankly taking advice from people who are not paid members or did not donate towards the shares might be a bit messy on here with interlopers, trolls etc

Either way I put into buying group shares and am a paid member so I say yes transfer them to FOH.

Anyone.  Identifying who actually contributed is tricky given the data and software migrations since 2012. This isn't a binding referendum just a means to get a rough feel. 

It's a nice idea but it doesn't really benefit FOH does it? I don't really understand it all but unless they need them it would be good for Kickback to retain them.

29 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We did think about that that but a fan's forum doesn't really have a consolidated opinion it could act on. FoH provides the best available vehicle for representing the supporter view, in my opinion anyway. 

I suppose subscribed members could use a vote on this forum...a la FOH !

Maybe the way to decide ? That's subscribed members back in 2012....maybe !

I totally disagree. We should donate them to the Neil Lennon Sympathy Fund for hard done by welts. Or we could donate them to the HSL as they are struggling to raise a fart for their share issue. 

::troll::

Not really ?

FoH is the place they should be going even although I wasn’t on JKB back then however I  bought my own at the time.

Geoff Kilpatrick

So they exist in an umbrella organisation and we give them to another umbrella organisation? Failing to spot the difference here.

Maybe sell them instead and upgrade the servers? Just a thought.

Definitely give the shares to FOH, the plan was never to give JKB shares in the 1st place.

It was used a vehicle to save the club and the genius who thought up the idea to bring low donations together deserves massive credit for such great out of the box thinking.

Shares back to FOH is a great idea.

1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

Budge talks about “governance” after fan ownership. Since hers was a business arrangement with nothing to do with owning the club, it makes me uncomfortable, particularly in having no risk.

Ultimately I want the club driven by a group or individual with a fair amount of equity and risk. I’m certain FoH will arrange that.

8 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

So they exist in an umbrella organisation and we give them to another umbrella organisation? Failing to spot the difference here.

Maybe sell them instead and upgrade the servers? Just a thought.

You don’t understand the difference between JKB and FOH?

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

You don’t understand the difference between JKB and FOH?

I think you need to read the post again. It was referring to the point made earlier about JKB not taking "positions" on voting etc. FoH is a group membership structure yet it does so. Therefore, there is nothing to stop Kickback doing the same if it chooses to.

I'd rather KB kept hold of them as I don't really see what purpose it serves and it would be good to have a sizeable chunk of shares outside of FOH. Ultimately it probably won't matter in the long run though and it seems I'm in the minority with that opinion anyway.

3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I think you need to read the post again. It was referring to the point made earlier about JKB not taking "positions" on voting etc. FoH is a group membership structure yet it does so. Therefore, there is nothing to stop Kickback doing the same if it chooses to.

We choose not tbh. 

100% agree.

While we are here i never got my certificate for the shares i bought as i moved, any idea how i go about getting them ???

Edited by Jamboelite

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, davemclaren said:

We choose not tbh. 

Indeed, which is fair enough. Anyway, I'm not really that bothered as I never chipped in for that share issue anyway as it was pissing money away. I bought tickets instead. Perhaps ask those who chipped in or split them between them if possible?

Footballfirst

I think JKB should hang onto them, if nothing else to retain a shareholder voice for a group of fans who aren't necessarily active FOH members (ref my concerns re governance). 

Another 0.2% or so will make no difference to FOH. 

The decision should be down to those who contributed the share purchase though. 

Edited by Footballfirst

Right now the FoH are run by people of integrity with the best interests of the club at heart.

But you never know what the future brings, I think it would be sensible to keep hold of them as an independent entity.

I bought thousands of shares but can't remember if I also contributed some money for jkb to buy some. Anyway I am all in favour of giving them to foh

fabienleclerq

I don't quite understand how it would benefit the club or JKB if the shares are kept by JKB. If any decisions had to be made would it be by vote? By paid members as contributors can't be tracked?

I think they are best with FOH.

• davemclaren locked this topic