Edinburgh council housing / association flats

Tynieman

I've been registered for council housing for nearly 12 years now. I've only started bidding again, having not done so since 2016. I am still registered. I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me how long a wait I'm likely to have?

2 hours ago, Tynieman said:

I've been registered for council housing for nearly 12 years now. I've only started bidding again, having not done so since 2016. I am still registered. I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me how long a wait I'm likely to have?

Hi I work in this area and your wait depends on various circumstances whether you may be awarded " gold" or " silver " priority.  Points are accrued in the waiting list due to your own circumstances ( mainly health reasons and social reasons).  Unfortunately you may have a long wait but you must keep bidding every week and update Edindex on your circumstances, as it may increase your priority.  You would never been told where you are on the waiting list either , as you can go up or down on it as people may have more priority.  Good luck. 

Edited by JamesM48

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Hi I work in this area and your wait depends on various circumstances whether you may be awarded " gold" or " silver " priority.  Points are accrued in the waiting list due to your own circumstances ( mainly health reasons and social reasons).  Unfortunately you may have a long wait but you must keep bidding every week and update Edindex on your circumstances, as it may increase your priority.  You would never been told where you are on the waiting list either , as you can go up or down on it as people may have more priority. 

Thanks very much for your reply. Given I was 17 when I registered initially, my circumstances have changed, mostly in relation to my health. How do I notify the council? Can I simply phone or email them, or will I have to complete a new application (I understand I will still keep my waiting time). In relation to the waiting time - will the wait be the same for housing association flats?

2 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

Thanks very much for your reply. Given I was 17 when I registered initially, my circumstances have changed, mostly in relation to my health. How do I notify the council? Can I simply phone or email them, or will I have to complete a new application (I understand I will still keep my waiting time). In relation to the waiting time - will the wait be the same for housing association flats?

Hi  Check that you still have a  live edindex application ?  Do you still have your Edindex number ?  Try to log on to the site and you will know if you are still on the system. If not you will need to complete a new application online. Get covering letters from health professionals which details your health issues and how they impact on you.  They have an assessment team which may assess you. Or you can declare yourself " homeless" and walk into any of the offices to inform them of this and they have a statutory duty to accommodate you. However this would be in a B and B , which many dont want to do but it does increase your chances of long term accommodation. If you are homeless you may be offered " temporary " accommodation.  However this temp accommodation can be for a long time until you are allocated permanent housing. The Edindex has applications for all housing and council houses.  

https://keytochoice.co.uk/

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Hi  Check that you still have a  live edindex application ?  Do you still have your Edindex number ?  Try to log on to the site and you will know if you are still on the system. If not you will need to complete a new application online. Get covering letters from health professionals which details your health issues and how they impact on you.  They have an assessment team which may assess you. Or you can declare yourself " homeless" and walk into any of the offices to inform them of this and they have a statutory duty to accommodate you. However this would be in a B and B , which many dont want to do but it does increase your chances of long term accommodation. If you are homeless you may be offered " temporary " accommodation.  However this temp accommodation can be for a long time until you are allocated permanent housing. The Edindex has applications for all housing and council houses.  

https://keytochoice.co.uk/

I'm definitely still registered and still have my Edindex number (I've started bidding again today). I will get in touch with my health professionals and take it from there. Thanks so much for your help!

1 minute ago, Tynieman said:

I'm definitely still registered and still have my Edindex number (I've started bidding again today). I will get in touch with my health professionals and take it from there. Thanks so much for your help!

Can i ask what age you are? if your over 55 it may help.  

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Can i ask what age you are? if your over 55 it may help.  

I'm 29, I've been on the waiting list since I've been 17

Just now, Tynieman said:

I'm 29, I've been on the waiting list since I've been 17

Ok well you will have got points for length of time so thats some good news.  But like i said someone who just registers today may leap above you due to their own situation. It also depends on where you are bidding for as some areas are more popular than others. Its important if your from a particular area you grew up in and have " social " support etc then mention this in your application. Like i said update your application. Any more questions feel free to ask. Good luck. 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Ok well you will have got points for length of time so thats some good news.  But like i said someone who just registers today may leap above you due to their own situation. It also depends on where you are bidding for as some areas are more popular than others. Its important if your from a particular area you grew up in and have " social " support etc then mention this in your application. Like i said update your application. Any more questions feel free to ask. Good luck. 

Top man, thanks again mate!

5 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

Top man, thanks again mate!

No bother. Just dont mention your a Jambo on your application...There are a few Hobbos in the council. LOL 

CavySlaveJambo

I have heard recently that it could be over two years wait even with priority for being made homeless.

Edited by CavySlaveJambo

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
20 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Good on you mate, the last 24 hours have shoumwn up many roasters on here. Nice to see there are still good guys too. 

34 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Good on you mate, the last 24 hours have shoumwn up many roasters on here. Nice to see there are still good guys too. 

Couldn't agree more

1 hour ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

cheers 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2018 at 17:08, Tynieman said:

That bad? It's there anywhere that you can see where your bid was placed (i.e 24th out of 75 etc)?

I'm told the Council hold that information so you can ask them. 

30 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I'm told the Council hold that information so you can ask them. 

Thanks mate. I've just sent away my revised application on Friday, so I'll wait and see where that positions me in terms of priority.  

I've been on the register for 12 years now and with my health conditions, I'm really hoping it won't be too much longer before I get a place 

Sexton Hardcastle

Head along to your local office and a housing options appointment if you’re unsure. Can check your bids, look at other options like MMR etc.

1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Head along to your local office and a housing options appointment if you’re unsure. Can check your bids, look at other options like MMR etc.

Sorry, you'll have to excuse my ignorance, but what is MMR? 

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad I posted this as everyone has been massively helpful!

Edited by Tynieman
spelling

Sexton Hardcastle

Mid market rent. Depends on your income and stuff but probably an option to look at and much quicker than the bidding system.

Just came across this 

In 2017/18 the Council let 93 properties to people just on the waiting list out of 1,306 (7%). 70% to homeless people. 

Better chance with housing associations. 

Source - CEC Strategic Housing Investment Plan (SHIP) 2019-2024 p4

Here -http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/meetings/meeting/4566/housing_and_economy_committee

Edited by Mikey1874

special agent oso

I split up with my ex 2 and a half year ago, I have no piroity even tho I  get my son 3 night's a week, I had to take private rent (1 bedroom furnished flat), I bid for.3 properties a week, but don't hold out much hope, 

Also tried mid market, no joy there either,  it really gets you down bidding for 3 properties each week and not even getting close.

1 hour ago, special agent oso said:

I split up with my ex 2 and a half year ago, I have no piroity even tho I  get my son 3 night's a week, I had to take private rent (1 bedroom furnished flat), I bid for.3 properties a week, but don't hold out much hope, 

Also tried mid market, no joy there either,  it really gets you down bidding for 3 properties each week and not even getting close.

How do you know whether you're getting close? The results are no longer published from my understanding?  

Edited by Tynieman
edit

20 minutes ago, special agent oso said:

Well 1 point per day, 2 and half year, that's roughly 800 points, silver priority 20000 points, I've no chance, 

I understand your frustration, however, personally for me, it's a difficult one. As I've mentioned, I've been on the waiting list since I've been 17. I won't go into too many details but there was a reason why I was on the waiting list at that age. I don't want to go into a sob story but life's been pretty difficult for me. On the other hand however, I've been in full time employment since leaving school and at least I've got a place to stay (after spending most of my late teenage years and early twenties crashing where I could, including a year in a flat without lights or hot water!). Anyway, I've digressed, what I'd say is I'd rather the more vulnerable are placed in front of me now that my a grown man. I just kind of begrudge that at 17 I didn't get that respect, but two wrongs don't make a right. 

Edited by Tynieman
spelling

special agent oso

I hope you are offered somewhere soon, I just find the bidding system flawed, 3 weeks ago there was only 40 odd properties on edindex, many were movers, roughly 10, 3 or 4 bed properties some studio flats leaving around 15ish properties I was able to bid for, not great, I'll keep bidding for 3 properties every week in the slim hope I'll be offered something.

Blackford Hearts
3 hours ago, Tynieman said:

I understand your frustration, however, personally for me, it's a difficult one. As I've mentioned, I've been on the waiting list since I've been 17. I won't go into too many details but there was a reason why I was on the waiting list at that age. I don't want to go into a sob story but life's been pretty difficult for me. On the other hand however, I've been in full time employment since leaving school and at least I've got a place to stay (after spending most of my late teenage years and early twenties crashing where I could, including a year in a flat without lights or hot water!). Anyway, I've digressed, what I'd say is I'd rather the more vulnerable are placed in front of me now that my a grown man. I just kind of begrudge that at 17 I didn't get that respect, but two wrongs don't make a right. 

It’s best if you go and see your housing officer in person, you can call and find out who it is. Sorry to be giving bad news but if you don’t get silver priority you will have virtually no chance of getting placed anytime soon. If you have priority it’s around 2 years, though very dependant in where you are looking to live. Some are lucky and get quicker. As others have said keep bidding even if you aren’t interested in the property, initially it makes little difference as you are so far away. When you get closer never bid for what you don’t want as if you get it it’s difficult to turn down (though not impossible). Mid market is fine 1st year but prices go up so watch out for what it will be in future. 

Housing officers are generally very helpful. Be honest and hopefully it will go well for you. Good luck

On 31/10/2018 at 16:58, John Findlay said:

How long is a piece of string?

Twice half it's length, you knew that, didn't you ?

My mate got a cracking flat fairly easily from Muirhouse HA (I think) through the mid market route. Relatively new built, 2 bedroom flat. Rent I think is £580 pcm. He had to do this after splitting with his wife. He didn't have any priority points as had owned his house prior to splitting up.

Sexton Hardcastle
16 hours ago, special agent oso said:

Well 1 point per day, 2 and half year, that's roughly 800 points, silver priority 20000 points, I've no chance, 

Silver priority 40000 points. 

You will wait 20-30 years to get an offer with no kind of priority unless someone at a HA pulls some strings for you.

special agent oso
1 minute ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Silver priority 40000 points. 

You will wait 20-30 years to get an offer with no kind of priority unless someone at a HA pulls some strings for you.

I'll be in my grave by then, at least I'll have a permanent roof above my head ?

7 hours ago, special agent oso said:

I'll be in my grave by then, at least I'll have a permanent roof above my head ?

Probably be on a waiting list for a burial plot. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a reply from Edinburgh council, I've got around 3000 points but no priority. I'm a bit miffed as I've been on the register since I was 17. I have questioned why this is and their response was that, due to not being homeless (regardless of my circumstances), I've not got any priority.  When I asked who I could speak to concerning this, they replied my housing officer...then I asked who specifically that was, the reply I received was "you don't have one as you're not homeless ".

I'm going to go back to them tomorrow and ask for a review as it's a pretty shocking. 

I've previously dealt with a lady there so may email her directly.

James, what's your thoughts given your previous help on this?

On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 18:52, JamesM48 said:

No bother. Just dont mention your a Jambo on your application...There are a few Hobbos in the council. LOL 

I had a reply from Edinburgh council, I've got around 3000 points but no priority. I'm a bit miffed as I've been on the register since I was 17. I have questioned why this is and their response was that, due to not being homeless (regardless of my circumstances), I've not got any priority.  When I asked who I could speak to concerning this, they replied my housing officer. ..then I asked who specifically that was, the reply I received was "you don't have one as you're not homeless ".

I'm going to go back to them tomorrow and ask for a review as it's a pretty shocking. 

On November 26, 30 Heisei at 18:48, Tynieman said:

I had a reply from Edinburgh council, I've got around 3000 points but no priority. I'm a bit miffed as I've been on the register since I was 17. I have questioned why this is and their response was that, due to not being homeless (regardless of my circumstances), I've not got any priority.  When I asked who I could speak to concerning this, they replied my housing officer. ..then I asked who specifically that was, the reply I received was "you don't have one as you're not homeless ".

I'll reply later im

busy just now 

Seymour M Hersh

I had a conversation with a woman quite a few years ago who was in one of the flats at Sighthill that were demolished a few years ago. She was, to say the least, unimpressed with the council's system of gold & silver qualifications. She was a silver and was looking to get something down Lochend way as that's where her family were (roughly). She kept getting offered dreadful places in the wrong areas as she was silver. I asked if she'd move up to gold but she said gold was for immigrants and drug addicts and hard working people from Edinburgh who are neither will never get to gold level. Now I don't know how accurate she was but she'd been looking for a number of years since her divorce. 

4 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I had a conversation with a woman quite a few years ago who was in one of the flats at Sighthill that were demolished a few years ago. She was, to say the least, unimpressed with the council's system of gold & silver qualifications. She was a silver and was looking to get something down Lochend way as that's where her family were (roughly). She kept getting offered dreadful places in the wrong areas as she was silver. I asked if she'd move up to gold but she said gold was for immigrants and drug addicts and hard working people from Edinburgh who are neither will never get to gold level. Now I don't know how accurate she was but she'd been looking for a number of years since her divorce. 

Gold is for people with health conditions/ disabilities 

More likely people who can't manage stairs 

On 01/12/2018 at 06:37, Seymour M Hersh said:

Absolute rubbish.  Scaremongering racist crap. 

On 26/11/2018 at 18:48, Tynieman said:

Hi Im sorry for the late reply.  I know its been a few weeks so I hope things have improved?  I have been busy. Its an odd one about you not having a homeless officer but I think that people appointed Home officers are nearer the top of the list or are in B and B or hostels, or in temporary accommodation. Nothing wrong with going into your local office and asking to speak to someone regarding your application?  But as i said before those with priority are those in hostels, B and Bs and temp accommodation.  Gold Priority and silver Priority is mainly given due to medical issues ( as someone else quite rightly noted).  To be honest to achieve Gold Priority you basically have to be very physically ill ( no legs !!) etc to warrant those points.  However you need to keep bidding as it increases your points. 

On 01/12/2018 at 06:37, Seymour M Hersh said:

She’s talking out her arse. 

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Absolute rubbish.  Scaremongering racist crap. 

She's not the only person I've heard that from. 

Sexton Hardcastle
17 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

She's not the only person I've heard that from. 

Was she standing in front of a McRae’s Battalion flag with a SLY mask on?

Utter tripe.

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Was she standing in front of a McRae’s Battalion flag with a SLY mask on?

Utter tripe.

I'm relating what i've been told on 4 or 5 occasions whether it's right or wrong I don't know as I've never been involved in the process but it's certainly some people's perception of the process. Utter tripe is indeed what you wrote above that. The woman was in her 40's and a big supporter of labour.

Sexton Hardcastle

Like someone else on this thread, I know this system well and have done for years so you can ignore the previous bile you heard.

The only priority some Immigrants got were the dozen or so Syrian families the council took in as per the rest of the UK a couple of years ago.

Gold is for mobility and disability issues. You can be a drug addict and have mobility problems a much like your average person. 

9 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Like someone else on this thread, I know this system well and have done for years so you can ignore the previous bile you heard.

The only priority some Immigrants got were the dozen or so Syrian families the council took in as per the rest of the UK a couple of years ago.

Gold is for mobility and disability issues. You can be a drug addict and have mobility problems a much like your average person. 

Not only do you need a disability 

Where you are now has to be unsuitable 

You don't need any special housing to be a drug addict. You might be a drug addict and be disabled of course.