The amazing tale of Dulwich Hamlet FC

Cade

Non-League football club versus private investment firm and property developers.

Found this great piece about the troubles at a non-league club in south London.

It's a long read but well worth your time.

It's far from an isolated case either; this sort of thing is happening up and down the country, with lower league clubs being forced out of business so that developers can make a quick buck.

Coventry City are perhaps the most well known club in a similar situation, or perhaps Darlington.

Really drives home the fact that a club IS the fans and the fans ARE the club.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/26/dulwich-hamlet-fc-champion-hill-improbable-tale-tiny-football-club-that-lost-its-home-to-developers-and-won-it-back

Francis Albert

I drive past Hamlet's ground often and had noticed a while back a notice outside advertising their next home game at Tooting. If you look at a map it doesn't look far but on a Saturday it is a painfully slow drive around the South Circular or through crowded shopping streets taking anything up to an hour or more. I read then about their loss of their Dulwich ground and assumed it was just a matter of time before the club's demise. So it is good to hear of the return to their home. As you say a lot of non-league clubs unfortunate enough to be sitting on valuable development land will face similar threats. 

As you say even bigger clubs are not safe. Millwall has been fighting plans for development around the New Den for some time.

Edited by Francis Albert

40 minutes ago, braveheart said:

cut from the same clothe  as the green brigade.

Are Dulwich followed by knuckle dragging bigots?

Edited by Randy Marsh

Big Slim Stylee
1 hour ago, braveheart said:

cut from the same clothe  as the green brigade.

Odd thing to say. Used to live down the road from the ground. Fine wee club.

Well, I read that total drivel all the way through, it was.... utter guff, Sensationalising a nothing report.

In real terms they are at the same level as craigmillar thistle in football levels, however, because of the obscene amount that's pumped into english fitbaw every year they were greeting cause and I quote 'full time job' were getting paid £50 for a game, and then said he is a scaffolder???????????

Utter utter garbage.

2 minutes ago, lauriesrank said:

Well, I read that total drivel all the way through, it was.... utter guff, Sensationalising a nothing report.

In real terms they are at the same level as craigmillar thistle in football levels, however, because of the obscene amount that's pumped into english fitbaw every year they were greeting cause and I quote 'full time job' were getting paid £50 for a game, and then said he is a scaffolder???????????

Utter utter garbage.

:cornette:

3 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

:cornette:

Craigmillar thistle was a cogent paradigm.

Many years ago when I played for bonnyrigg rose, we got £50 a game.

4 hours ago, lauriesrank said:

Utter utter garbage.

What a strange post. Thought it was a really interesting read. Did Craigmillar thistle ever get an 800 traveling support?

Recently moved to South London. So have popped down to see Hamlet. Tenner entry, three pound a pint and a program for two quid. Great value for money. The club are well supported and from chatting to a few of their fans they'll be delighted at getting back to their old ground. Albeit Tooting's ground where they're playing atm is a good wee ground in itself.

Have to say I was impressed with the standard of football. A lot of it is pass and move rather than a long ball spectacle that I'd expected for National League South. Very hipster as well. No pies etc but they had a Jamaican food bar and Thai food... certainly no mars bars and steak pies!

Decent wee club worthy of a visit.