Bohemian Rhapsody

Phil Dunphy

I’m just out of the cinema now. 

Loved it. Rami pulls off Freddie’s mannerisms perfectly throughout. It does champion their success without much mentioning their struggles but that’s not really a negative. Some proper laugh out loud moments and some moments that make you feel desperately sorry for Freddie. I’d easily give it a 9/10. 

On a side note, the guy playing Brian May is his absolute double. Face, hair, voice, everything. 

Already planning to go see it again. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carl Fredrickson

• John Findlay

• Phil Dunphy

• CavySlaveJambo

I've heard they are going to do a real version of Freddies life, obviously they'll miss out some parts, however it will show his hedonistic lifestyle and delve into his demons and darkside.

Only going on what I have heard, please don't shoot the messenger!!!

Remember, Queen are my favourite band and they lived a life I'd have loved, albeit a couple of things I wouldn't do!!

I really hope they manage to get in the part of Freddie collaborating with Michael Jackson, that would be hilarious!!

8 minutes ago, Placid Casual said:

I have only read one review so far and they absolutely battered it!

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/bohemian-rhapsody-review-rami-malek-1202014286

Personally, I think he’s well wide of the mark. Makes a comment about sanitising his lifestyle. It’s not as if a 12A is going to have orgies, drugs and that in it. 

If you’re a Queen fan, you’ll enjoy the film. 

Carl Fredrickson

Just back. I cant remember the last time I enjoyed a film so much.

I grew up listening to Queen and loved them through my teens. Havent listened to them much in the last 20 years until my 8 year old son got into them at Christmas time. 

This film took me back to my teens, the music bringing back many memories. The guy playing Freddie got his manerisms spot on. I noticed Roger and Brian were executive directors so I am unsure how much creative license was used in the film. If it were all true then I have learned a lot that I didnt know. 

My son and I loved the film and I would be interested to see other movies of artists from that era (Rocketman is out next year.....)

O and John Findlay - your son has lovely hands!

12 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Just back. I cant remember the last time I enjoyed a film so much.

I grew up listening to Queen and loved them through my teens. Havent listened to them much in the last 20 years until my 8 year old son got into them at Christmas time. 

This film took me back to my teens, the music bringing back many memories. The guy playing Freddie got his manerisms spot on. I noticed Roger and Brian were executive directors so I am unsure how much creative license was used in the film. If it were all true then I have learned a lot that I didnt know. 

My son and I loved the film and I would be interested to see other movies of artists from that era (Rocketman is out next year.....)

O and John Findlay - your son has lovely hands!

Just out the cinema myself. Yes my son has lovely hands lol. Few face shots of him too. His credit is under stunts  MATT FINDLAY. Great film. The boy playing Freddie is superb. Film had the right tone for a 12A. On a personal note I feel 10ft tall. So proud of my eldest laddie.

Carl Fredrickson
6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Just out the cinema myself. Yes my son has lovely hands lol. Few face shots of him too. His credit is under stunts  MATT FINDLAY. Great film. The boy playing Freddie is superb. Film had the right tone for a 12A. On a personal note I feel 10ft tall. So proud of my eldest laddie.

I did see the stunts cast but couldnt read all the names in time! Reckon I will go back to see it which I dont think I have ever done with a film.

Some good conversations with my son off the back of it. 

19 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I did see the stunts cast but couldnt read all the names in time! Reckon I will go back to see it which I dont think I have ever done with a film.

Some good conversations with my son off the back of it. 

Yes me too. Letting my son know what AIDS is was a good conversation.

Learned what the word debauchery meant years ago as it was mentioned on one of their album's notes. Think Freddie would have put that on there. He must have been some boy. 

8 hours ago, Placid Casual said:

I have only read one review so far and they absolutely battered it!

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/bohemian-rhapsody-review-rami-malek-1202014286

My opinion on reviews:

I don’t need chunts like in the photo to tell me what’s good and what’s not, in fact, if they say it’s shite there’s more chance I’ll like it so I’m less like these talentless media wanks.

D6F6CB4C-1C48-4164-9849-4F4176656A8A.jpeg

Libertonian_ii01
On 23/10/2018 at 15:57, davemclaren said:

Great song. 

Only saw Queen once. They supported Mott the Hoople at the Caley in ‘73 and they blew Mott off the stage. Freddie fell of the stage as well, mind you. 

Same here. Took me a while to realise why the crowd kept shouting out "Liar". "Seven seas of rhye" was out at that time.

Placid Casual
10 hours ago, Armageddon said:

My opinion on reviews:

I don’t need chunts like in the photo to tell me what’s good and what’s not, in fact, if they say it’s shite there’s more chance I’ll like it so I’m less like these talentless media wanks.

Okay mate, calm down ffs :lol:

Governor Tarkin
12 hours ago, John Findlay said:

:pleasing:

:glorious:

William H. Bonney
20 hours ago, lauriesrank said:

I've heard they are going to do a real version of Freddies life, obviously they'll miss out some parts, however it will show his hedonistic lifestyle and delve into his demons and darkside.

Only going on what I have heard, please don't shoot the messenger!!!

Remember, Queen are my favourite band and they lived a life I'd have loved, albeit a couple of things I wouldn't do!!

I really hope they manage to get in the part of Freddie collaborating with Michael Jackson, that would be hilarious!!

Was sacha baron Cohen not originally cast as Freddie but pulled out because they wouldn't let him portray the darker side to his life. 

On 23/10/2018 at 14:41, Phil Dunphy said:

By all accounts they’ve left out the part about the parties with naked waiters and dwarves with trays of cocaine on their heads. 

His homosexuality does apparently make up a vital part of the plot though, whether you think your son’s a bit young for that. 

There has been a lot of criticism of the white washing of his private life, in particular his sex life and his final years battling aids. Thars a shame as it was all part of him and to not include a major part of his life seems sad.  Freddie would probably find it hysterical that his life story on film is a 12a !!! 

18 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Congratulations 

4 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Was sacha baron Cohen not originally cast as Freddie but pulled out because they wouldn't let him portray the darker side to his life. 

Yes

rudi must stay
6 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Good interview with the drummer in Queen on youtube, apparently he wasn't committed enough and Rami Malek was far more committed. There you go, a fantastic film IMO

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

There has been a lot of criticism of the white washing of his private life, in particular his sex life and his final years battling aids. Thars a shame as it was all part of him and to not include a major part of his life seems sad.  Freddie would probably find it hysterical that his life story on film is a 12a !!! 

It would be a completely different film had it focussed more on Freddie’s personal life. The film is about Queen as a band and, even though I’m not a massive fan, there is enough of a story there to carry it - its a celebratory movie in that respect and I say “why not!?”

Mercury’s own personal story merits a film of its own and trying to incorporate it into this film would almost overshadow the music. 

20 hours ago, Armageddon said:

My opinion on reviews:

So you only like reviews you agree with or written by men without glasses? 

Genuinely baffled at the anger shown towards this man from yourself. 

9 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

I think he pulled out because the original script had Freddie dying half way through.

I went to see it tonight and thought it was brilliant! Fantastic ending.

Was trying to work out the scenes with your son JF but they either done wonders for his make up or its literally just his hamds being filmed at the piano?

Brilliant story all the same.

Edited by hughesie27

1 hour ago, The Brow said:

So you only like reviews you agree with or written by men without glasses? 

Genuinely baffled at the anger shown towards this man from yourself. 

I really REALLY hate these ‘critics’, you may have guessed that :)

Do people have any idea about the amount of work that goes into any sort of production, the years of practice, dedication, the sacrifice in people’s lives to make the grade .... them some talentless wee prick gets a few column inches and decides to rip something he would never have the talent to be part of.

There we go - it’s off my chest now!!

32 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I really REALLY hate these ‘critics’, you may have guessed that :)

Do people have any idea about the amount of work that goes into any sort of production, the years of practice, dedication, the sacrifice in people’s lives to make the grade .... them some talentless wee prick gets a few column inches and decides to rip something he would never have the talent to be part of.

There we go - it’s off my chest now!!

Is it just film critics or is it food and music ones as well? 

You have a point of sorts, but they do provide a service. I already decided this film wasn't for me as I genuinely think Queen are over rated nonsense. The music would appear to save a fairly mediocre film from all accounts, other than the fans on this thread, who aren't to be trusted ;)  

CavySlaveJambo

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody on Wednesday and really enjoyed it.  

So I am now watching an old BBC Queen Documentary on YouTube. 

Looks the biggest pile of shite ever.  I'm a huge Queen fan and watch many documentaries on them.  From what I see from the 4 hour long trailer is 4 people who look nothing like Queen (especially Roger) acting badly and being overly cheesy.

Better call Saul

According to wiki live aid was attended by 72 thousand people looking at it on YouTube there looks so many more.... Weren't then stands filled as well? 

16 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

According to wiki live aid was attended by 72 thousand people looking at it on YouTube there looks so many more.... Weren't then stands filled as well? 

Yes, the stands were filled too. I don’t know exactly how many were there, but it must have been 70-80,000. My wife and I were on the Wembley turf on 13 July 1985 and there’s no doubt the highlight of the whole concert for us was the Queen gig. Went to see the film at Wester Hailes tonight and the Live Aid sequence brought back so many memories. Really enjoyed it.

It's actually vile what these big stars back then got up to. Elton John, Bowie, Freddie Mercury. Big piled up orgies with cocaine, drink and disease flying all around. Incredible music but utter filth and quite frank despicable humans. 

Dunno why money and fame does that to people. Politicians, Directors, Music stars, footballers.. a big circle of people that think they can do what the hell they like without consequences. 

I watched the film and the way it is portrayed is trying to make us feel sorry for Mercury. Like he was some sort of fecking victim. Nah, he knew what he was doing and that there was an Aids crisis at that particular time. Yet still did it. Wonder how many men he infected throughout his life as well? 

I felt sorry for his band mates more than anything. They all seem a decent bunch been lead by an utter arsehole 

The Mighty Thor

Went to see it on Tuesday and i really enjoyed it. 

Freddie Mercury clearly had a very complex life and it would be a totally different movie to delve into that in any detail. 

As has been said the Live Aid stuff was carried off really well and the music overall is just great.

Such a good band in their day.

Really enjoyed that. Would recommend. 

Soundtrack was awesome. Malik plays him very well. Full live aid concert as well. Fantastic. 

On 30/10/2018 at 05:18, ri Alban said:

Anything about  the Sun City gigs?

Fair point sir-“glossed over” I suspect bit like Lennons goading last night.

Never saw any attraction in this lot at all and wouldn’t go and watch this pish if you paid me.

On 29/10/2018 at 23:30, AlimOzturk said:

It's actually vile what these big stars back then got up to. Elton John, Bowie, Freddie Mercury. Big piled up orgies with cocaine, drink and disease flying all around. 

I miss it too ::troll::

On 29/10/2018 at 23:30, AlimOzturk said:

It's actually vile what these big stars back then got up to. Elton John, Bowie, Freddie Mercury. Big piled up orgies with cocaine, drink and disease flying all around. Incredible music but utter filth and quite frank despicable humans. 

Dunno why money and fame does that to people. Politicians, Directors, Music stars, footballers.. a big circle of people that think they can do what the hell they like without consequences. 

Now they just send pictures of their welt on Snapchat. Say what you will but they've fair calmed down these days! 

On 29/10/2018 at 22:59, Ferris Bueller said:

Yes but remember the parts of the stand that are behind the stage set up are empty so probably a quarter  of the stand is empty.

32 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I never name my sources. Now where is that Sudocrem ??

Don't know.

There's piles more available though.

Holyrood_Hearts

Went to see this last night & loved it. The soundtrack throughout it really is superb with some very funny moments as well.

Im glad the film concentrates more on Queen rather than Freddie’s private life. At over 2 hours long they’d be hard pushed to include that too. 

Im sure I read they recorded the whole Live Aid set for the film, surely this will be included when it’s released on DVD etc? 

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Don't know.

There's piles more available though.

Need to be careful Jonno doesn’t get a bum deal. ;)

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

He's already made an arse of it?

17 hours ago, Marvin said:

16 hours ago, John Findlay said:

He's already made an arse of it?

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:levein2: Punville, ffs. 

:sadrobbo: Piles are a pain in the arse.

Edited by Morgan