• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carl Fredrickson

• John Findlay

• Phil Dunphy

• CavySlaveJambo

alwaysthereinspirit
On 23/10/2018 at 11:41, Tams bird said:

Seen Queen in the Playhouse around 1975...

Might have been 76. Got a wee mention in the movie.

Shows concert locations in the movie while he’s onstage supposedly in Edinburgh.

Great movie.

CavySlaveJambo

Went back to see the film again today. But on IMAX this time. 

It is actually better the second time around. 

Craig Gordons Gloves

I'm coming to this thread late but finally saw this on Friday night (at the movies where a guy keeps bringing you beer to your seat which is a great movie going experience). 

I loved the movie, at the end i was quite surprised to find that my cheeks were wet.  I'm putting it down to the memory of watching them on Live Aid and the emotion of that after going through the movie.  Thoroughly enjoyable 2 hours.

Saw it tonight. Really enjoyed it. Its not much of a "film" I suppose? It's more of a "biography"?

Very enjoyable though. I had no idea the band had come off a massive fall out before the now legendary performance at Live Aid?

Worth going to see.

Kalamazoo Jambo
38 minutes ago, VladMagic said:

I had no idea the band had come off a massive fall out before the now legendary performance at Live Aid?

That’s because it’s not actually true. It’s also almost certain that Freddie Mercury was not diagnosed with AIDS until after Live Aid. The movie was a lot of fun but as an accurate history it’s worthless.

12 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

That’s because it’s not actually true. It’s also almost certain that Freddie Mercury was nor diagnosed with AIDS until after Live Aid. The movie was a lot of fun but as an accurate history it’s worthless.

Live Aid was in 85, Freddie was diagnosed in 87 according to Elton John

CavySlaveJambo
On 13/11/2018 at 23:23, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

That’s because it’s not actually true. It’s also almost certain that Freddie Mercury was not diagnosed with AIDS until after Live Aid. The movie was a lot of fun but as an accurate history it’s worthless.

FM also allegedly had more than a few negative tests prior to being diagnosed with AIDS in Spring 1987. 

If the band did have a bit of a hiatus, it's not a surprise I didn't get to see them (still a big regret) during my prime concert-going years.

Dean Winchester
21 hours ago, Boof said:

If the band did have a bit of a hiatus, it's not a surprise I didn't get to see them (still a big regret) during my prime concert-going years.

They didn't but they were touring half way around the world just before Live Aid. I'm sure the version of Love of My Life they use from the movie, with the crowd singing back, was done at Rio in January 85 and they were touring around Australia and Japan up until May that year so they're hiatus before Live Aid was really only June...

I seen it yesterday and its brilliant. I would say it's 50/50 between fact and fiction but if it was 100% true the film would be a week long to fit everything in. If you take it as it is then it's good and the guys that play queen do a brilliant job. 

rudi must stay
10 hours ago, marshallschunkychicken said:

Really enjoyed the film. I was very impressed with how precisely they synced the Live Aid concert.

They did that scene very well yes, I liked the cuts to the people watching. They didn't copy it either, great as it was but that would have been lazy. Great climax to a brilliant film

Finally caught this yesterday. Not a huge fan of Queen but thought it was a decent film regardless. Good performances throughout and it's easy to forget with some of the fluffy stuff they did that they were a very good rock band. Certainly one of the better rock biopics.

Just seen it with my better half and thought it was excellent.

Choked up a few times I have to admit.

Queen were never my band but I remember live aid as a kid and kind of magic was a damn good album and as a young adult the shit the press put him through at the end who everyone I worked with at the time thought a disgrace.

Performances were great and the guy playing May was the spot of him.

I'd highly recommend it if you haven't seen it yet , many many worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

• 2 months later...
CavySlaveJambo

Looks like they are going to need to pull this out of cinemas next week rather than letting it leave naturally with the DVD out in 3 weeks. Still on multiple times a day in cinemas.  

And what do people think about the chances of Rami Malek not winning Best Actor at the Academy Awards - given he has won the Golden Globe (drama); Screen Actors Guild Award; AACTA (Australian Academy) and the BAFTA? 

It took 5 months to make the film. My son Matt was on set for the whole duration.

The end of the film was actually the very first scene(s) they filmed.

The people who built the original live aid stage built an exact replica for the film.

• 4 months later...

Finally watched this, thoroughly enjoyed it. Pissed myself at the part when Mike Myers was saying that bohemian rhapsody would never get teenagers banging their heads in cars.