“SNOWFLAKE”

Beast Boy

Have you ever heard the term used to describe another person, by someone who wasn’t a puddle-drinking simpleton?

Personally, I have not. A descriptive term coined by a thick *****, lapped up by the scum that scuttle amongst us. In my experience...

Can anyone name a non-scumbag who uses this term in real life?

:thumbsup:

The modern version of calling someone a Pansy in my opinion.. 

Although seems to be used by those who think Trump, Farage, BoJo et al have good ideas... 

been here before

The last redoubt of Daily Mail readers and those who are self defined by a hatred of another club more than a love for their own.

An utterly horrendous ‘new term’ that is invading internet terminology.

The way that people speak nowadays make an absolute mockery of the English language.

Snowflake is close to the equivalent of the Spanish word ‘maricon’, used to describe people (males, usually like David Beckham) who, you just know, that the users of this word, are secretly jealous of.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

The last redoubt of Daily Mail readers and those who are self defined by a hatred of another club more than a love for their own.

Uhm... not sure that’s the case m8. ?

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Have you ever heard the term used to describe another person, by someone who wasn’t a puddle-drinking simpleton?

Personally, I have not. A descriptive term coined by a thick *****, lapped up by the scum that scuttle amongst us. In my experience...

Yes.

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Yes.

Then you are lucky, my friend. I’ve probably only heard it used in real life a couple of times, and the two that spring to mind were simpletons. It’s used a lot online by the sort of people who want to be recognised as new age right-wing, but generally they are either at the ham, or just pure gammon. Swine either way.

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

3 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

It's worth mentioning the term's origin.

You  have a generation that have created things called 'safe spaces' or 'trigger warnings' to shield them from often conventional ideas / opinions in universities ( of all places). This term is a fairly jestful response to what is a far more dire phenomenon imo. And It's clearly spread beyond this or even internet culture wars and is now synonymous with pansy et al as posters above have mentioned. 

Ditto for 'virtue signaller' which tread a similar path although it had more to do with media or class bubbles. 

It's interesting how quickly language is evolving/ devolving in the Internet age. Are pejorative terms more loaded or significant now than ever? I'm sceptical about that.

4 minutes ago, Mark M said:

It's worth mentioning the term's origin.

You  have a generation that have created things called 'safe spaces' or 'trigger warnings' to shield them from often conventional ideas / opinions in universities ( of all places). This term is a fairly jestful response to what is a far more dire phenomenon imo. And It's clearly spread beyond this or even internet culture wars and is now synonymous with pansy et al as posters above have mentioned. 

Ditto for 'virtue signaller' which tread a similar path although it had more to do with media or class bubbles. 

It's interesting how quickly language is evolving/ devolving in the Internet age. Are pejorative terms more loaded or significant now than ever? I'm sceptical about that.

Some absolute weapon called me a “virtue signaller” on here a couple of months ago. All because I objected to racism. 

Certain terms are the calling card of the dribbling moron tbh.

I use it and will continue to do so. It's a fairly self explanatory way to describe the easily offended. A little ironic that its use offends you ?

Edit: I meant to quote the op

Edited by IronJambo

28 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I use it and will continue to do so. It's a fairly self explanatory way to describe the easily offended. A little ironic that its use offends you ?

Edit: I meant to quote the op

For most people who use it, it's normally used to describe anyone who takes offence to anything that they say, whether easily or not, in my experience. It's used as a means of an immediate ad hominem attack with the intention of negating the other person's view, no matter what it might be. As a lover of a good debate, I agree with the OP - it's a puerile way out of actually discussing any issues involved. And I say that as someone who is not a great fan of how easily offended some folk are these days, on all sides of the social and political spectra.

Francis Albert
53 minutes ago, redjambo said:

For most people who use it, it's normally used to describe anyone who takes offence to anything that they say, whether easily or not, in my experience. It's used as a means of an immediate ad hominem attack with the intention of negating the other person's view, no matter what it might be. As a lover of a good debate, I agree with the OP - it's a puerile way out of actually discussing any issues involved. And I say that as someone who is not a great fan of how easily offended some folk are these days, on all sides of the social and political spectra.

Think you have to distinguish between use and misuse. It doesn't mean anyone who takes offense to anything you say. And I don't think it is how most people use it.

6 hours ago, redjambo said:

If you find that most use it in that way then it's the people you're surrounded by that are the issue, not the word.

9 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Then you are lucky, my friend. I’ve probably only heard it used in real life a couple of times, and the two that spring to mind were simpletons. It’s used a lot online by the sort of people who want to be recognised as new age right-wing, but generally they are either at the ham, or just pure gammon. Swine either way.

Ham or just pure gammon, love that term bud, as for snowflake not a nasty word and probably used between friends as light banter.

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I'm with you, buddy. I've heard it mis-used by right-leaning populists, but also deployed when it was absolutely the most apt description to hand.

I assume you used the term 'gammon' ironically.  ;)

Heard my mate use it once.  

He’s not a simpleton but is probably deemed one now by the self righteous and judgemental people who think they are right all the time. 

I've heard it used in relation to easily  offended feminists and  those men/women who pretend to be the opposite sex/gender or even no sex/gender and get offended when normal people don't take part in their fantasy dress up game. 

Bridge of Djoum

I'm still using ''bus w*****''.

If that upsets all you snowflakes, I suggest you stop being benders and man up.

Edited by Bridge of Djoum

3 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

As I have said on at least one other thread previously. It's a term which is used by *****. It's just shan chat.

:spoton:

Bridge of Djoum
15 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

what is a virtue signaller?

Virtue signalling, spelled virtue signaling in the United States, is the conspicuous expression of moral values.[1] The term was first used in signalling theory, to describe any behavior that could be used to signal virtue—especially piety among the religious.[2] In recent years, the term has become more commonly used as a pejorative by commentators to criticize what they regard as empty or superficial support of certain political views, and also used within groups to criticize their own members for valuing appearance over action.[3][4]

3 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Virtue signalling, spelled virtue signaling in the United States, is the conspicuous expression of moral values.[1] The term was first used in signalling theory, to describe any behavior that could be used to signal virtue—especially piety among the religious.[2] In recent years, the term has become more commonly used as a pejorative by commentators to criticize what they regard as empty or superficial support of certain political views, and also used within groups to criticize their own members for valuing appearance over action.[3][4]

A few thousand of them marching in London yesterday. 

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

About 40 in Manchester, too...Image result for edl manchester

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

3/4 m is more than a few thousand. 

Bridge of Djoum

I've nothing against ''virtue signalling, by that definition, I see parts of it in myself in that although I'm not offended by certain actions, I can still see the wrong in them and will voice that sentiment. 

I'd rather be the one pointing out shite behavior than promoting it.

Just now, Bridge of Djoum said:

I've nothing against ''virtue signalling, by that definition, I see parts of it in myself in that although I'm not offended by certain actions, I can still see the wrong in them and will voice that sentiment. 

I'd rather be the one pointing out shite behavior than promoting it.

I agree with their sentiments, just not spending most of the journey back from Kings Cross making sure everyone knew they were there. 

Oh, and trying to give my young daughter a “Bollocks to Brexit” sticker is not a good idea  ?

Bridge of Djoum

I agree with their sentiments, just not spending most of the journey back from Kings Cross making sure everyone knew they were there. 

Oh, and trying to give my young daughter a “Bollocks to Brexit” sticker is not a good idea  ?

When it's taken to extremes, like anything else it becomes ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Yet seems to be an insult constantly used by people, guess what, making a conspicuous expression of their own values. 

19 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Nope, I haven't heard anyone sensible use it. It's defensive Right-wing patter. 

Edited by ri Alban

Bridge of Djoum
54 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Imagine being offended by the term "snowflake".

Not quite sure you fully understand ''offended''.

I don’t think the word ‘snowflake’ is in any way offensive.  I think the issue here is that it has become ‘a thing to say’, a ‘modernism’ as it were.  It has been leapt upon by a specific (in my opinion) group of people.  The same people who would go the other way if it suited their particular agenda, and accuse folk of being ‘politically incorrect’. 

It’s so difficult nowadays to decide if you are a snowflake, or just downright wrong to have an opinion that doesn’t toe the line!

1 hour ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Which kind of sums up most people that use the term snowflake.

Take Kyle Lafferty. I can say that his recent behaviour is pretty scummy. Someone then may brand me a snowflake for being 'offended' by it. But I'm not offended. It has no real bearing on me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can point out that something isn't right without actually being offended by it.

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Take Kyle Lafferty. I can say that his recent behaviour is pretty scummy. Someone then may brand me a snowflake for being 'offended' by it. But I'm not offended. It has no real bearing on me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can point out that something isn't right without actually being offended by it.

Nutshell type stuff right there.

29 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I think that is roughly what I was trying to say an hour or so ago.

22 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

2 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

You're right. I, myself, often get so worked up over something I'm not "offended" by.

No surprise you're arguing though, seems all you do round here is pick fights with folk.

49 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I wouldn't call anyone a 'snowflake' for being offended by arseholes acting like arseholes, ala Lafferty.

However, if you're going to become offended at Kleenex branding their tissues as 'mansize', then I feel the term is justified.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

You're right. I, myself, often get so worked up over something I'm not "offended" by.

No surprise you're arguing though, seems all you do round here is pick fights with folk.

You are of course assuming one is ''worked up'' rather than just expressing an opinion. 

Why am I worked up and arguing, and picking fights whilst you will claim you are merely giving your opinion?

4 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

You are of course assuming one is ''worked up'' rather than just expressing an opinion. 

Why am I worked up and arguing, and picking fights whilst you will claim you are merely giving your opinion?

Expressing an opinion doesn't usually involve me calling people "puddle drinking simpletons", "scum that scuttles amongst us" before asking if anyone "knows a non-scumbag who uses the term irl".

But you knew that, you just wanted to have a go at someone for something you weren't involved in.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Expressing an opinion doesn't usually involve me calling people "puddle drinking simpletons", "scum that scuttles amongst us" before asking if anyone "knows a non-scumbag who uses the term irl".

But you knew that, you just wanted to have a go at someone for something you weren't involved in.

Those aren't my words.

Not involved in? It's a forum, mate. If we only replied to those directly corresponding with us, the place would die rather quickly.

But, you knew that.

Edited by Bridge of Djoum