Romanovs biggest mistake?

Dr. Bapswent

Ok, without making sweeping statements such as...coming to Scotland, buying Hearts or meddling in team affairs.

What single thing do you think is Romanovs biggest mistake?

What, if it hadnt happened could have had a huge effect on things to this day?

What one thing do you wish had not happened?

For me, I have to say its the Burly fiasco.

I think if VR had been able to realsie what a good thing Burley was for the club, we would still be riding the crest of the success he would haev brought.

Im not suggesting we would have won the league or anything, just that the high we were on, the good atmosphere, the classy performances, would still be ongoing. The players he could have brought and integrated into the squad would have us in a solid position to be a worrying challenge for the OF.

Not to forget , we would be getting more European football.

I think the failure of VR to deal with Burleys success and popularity was a huge backwards step and soemthing we are suffering from to this day.

For me, this is the root of all the issues we are currently suffering from.

Nucky Thompson

I take it now that the GFA have appointed St George we're going to get countless threads dragging up the past.:rolleyes:

Cant comment on Burley and Anderson, who knows their might have actually been something up.

Biggest mistake, over promising and under delivering, this effects every other decision / comment he's put out there.

Burley was without a doubt his biggest mistake. With the team he had playing and given some extra money in the January and next pre-season Vlad could have been God! We'd be moaning 23'000 isn't enough for a new stand.

Think we'd be level pegging with the OF now!!!

Let's not forget he quite intentionally got rid of GB. To my mind, that doesn't make it a mistake. What I would love to know is why.

Yes, I know this is dragging up the past, but what I mean is - what was in it for Vlad to ensure our phenomenal start to the season, with potential to win the league, was brought to a juddering halt ?

10 wins in a row and Romanov assumed it would be even easier to win the league than his original optimistic projection.

He thought any puppet manager could deliver, hugely underestimating Burley's ability and the Old Firm in the process.

He was wrong but continued to look for scapegoats - Anderton, Rix, Valdas, Pressley, SFA, the media... Not once stopping to consider that the blame may lie closer to home.

Of course, Romanov doesn't seem capable of self criticism and ultimately that's his biggest mistake.

Failing to have enough cash to match the required amount needed to back up his public pronouncements.

I'd go along with that, I think many of us thought that Romanov had millions of his personal fortune to splash out and that our debt would be unaffected. I wonder how much of his own money Romanov has invested. Sometimes I wonder if Romanov actually has a personal fortune.

I'd go along with that, I think many of us thought that Romanov had millions of his personal fortune to splash out and that our debt would be unaffected. I wonder how much of his own money Romanov has invested. Sometimes I wonder if Romanov actually has a personal fortune.

Your having a laugh arent you?

Thats a very conceited attitude.

Just because he has 'personal' wealth, this does not automtaiclaly become the clubs to spend.

Its up to him how much he chooses to 'invest' in the club.

We dont have unlimited funds, jst because we have a rich guy behind us.

People need to stop thinking Romanovs millions are Hearts' millions to spend.

They two are quite different, and Im not surprised if anyone is in the huff over the fact that the money they thought the club was suppsoed to have is not the amount they intially though as this is thier own mistake.

Romanov will decide on how much to 'invest' and that figure can have nothing to do with how much he owns himself.

Putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 50 million is simply dumb.

The Mighty Thor

It's been a litany of mistakes and gross negligence.

Biggest single one? Sacking Burley, an act of folly that defied logic and belief.

closely followed by;

Sacking Anderton

Appointing Rix

Appointing Ivanauskas

Appointing Malofeev

The Riccarton three

Appointing Korobochka

Appointing Chervenkov

Underestimating Scottish football

Petty squables with the Scottish press

Allowing things to fester for the last 18 months

one could go on and on........

Your having a laugh arent you?

Thats a very conceited attitude.

Just because he has 'personal' wealth, this does not automtaiclaly become the clubs to spend.

Its up to him how much he chooses to 'invest' in the club.

We dont have unlimited funds, jst because we have a rich guy behind us.

People need to stop thinking Romanovs millions are Hearts' millions to spend.

They two are quite different, and Im not surprised if anyone is in the huff over the fact that the money they thought the club was suppsoed to have is not the amount they intially though as this is thier own mistake.

Romanov will decide on how much to 'invest' and that figure can have nothing to do with how much he owns himself.

Putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 50 million is simply dumb.

We have all made mistakes as Hearts fans when it comes to Romanov, I'm sure you have too. You asked for opinions in your initial post and you got one. You can disagree with me but that's twice you've been unnecessarily rude to me in a couple of days.

Very few rich football club owners actually put millions in; generally they just guarantee debt & their wealth allows the club to carry a higher level of borrowings than it could on its own. Most of their wealth will be tied up in their businesses. As well as not wanting to take capital out there may be tax implications if they do so. They may not have a lot of ready cash. What they do have is a vastly higher borrowing capacity than other people.

Exceptions to this would be Eddie Thompson & possibly Roman Abramovitch now & Jack Walker in the past. However, all these men sold their principal businesses before or soon after buying the football club so did have lots of spare cash. Steve Gibson at Boro might also be an exception but he seems to be an exception to most rules about football club owners.

To answer the original question, if Burley had been left in charge of the team then VR wouldn't have had the opportunity to make most of his other mistakes. Anderton probably not fired, no reason for Foulkes to quit, no Rix, Malofeev, Valdas or managerial triumvirate, no Riccarton 3.

Patrick Bateman

Appointing convicted sex offender and journeyman manager Graham Rix after the club had interviewed the likes of Ranieri and Robson. A disgusting embarrasment and a sign of contempt for the club.

His biggest mistake is being an egotistical, ignorant, bullying,lying little dancer who knows nowt about football.

Unfortunately our club is suffering from all of this and he will continue to destroy the club until we get a new manager.

We have all made mistakes as Hearts fans when it comes to Romanov, I'm sure you have too. You asked for opinions in your initial post and you got one. You can disagree with me but that's twice you've been unnecessarily rude to me in a couple of days.

Sorry if you think I was rude.

I didnt think disagreeing and suggesting that approach was conceited was considered rude.

But as my reply explains, i dont agree that we have a god given right to Romanovs money.

Sorry you take my replies the wrong way.

His biggest mistake is being an egotistical, ignorant, bullying,lying little dancer who knows nowt about football.

Unfortunately our club is suffering from all of this and he will continue to destroy the club until we get a new manager.

I'm afraid I have to agree with this. It's impossible to tie it down to one, single, biggest mistake - they all flow from his flawed view of how a football club can be run and from his personality.

He's either incredibly stupid or impossibly naive, or both. Doesn't seem to realise that margins between success and failure are very fine in professional sport and that if you do anything at all which fails to maximise your team's prospects, you're not going to achieve success.

By The Light..

It's worse than that.

Our club will continue to suffer until we get a new owner.

From a footballing perspective then the obvious choice would be sacking Burley but I still believe there was far more to that fiasco than was ever made public. I wish it hadn't happened but if certain rumours are true, then I completely understand why he had to go.

We had a great run of results with GB but we also had a cracking team with some real stars in the squad that was available to him. Sure, it would have been brilliant to win the league (sadly, I can't really remember what it feels like to believe that you might...) but who's to say that it would have continued like that? We can assume that we would have done well, but we don't know. What irks me most is that we weren't given the opportunity to find out...but I think I blame Burley and the club equally for that.

So, his biggest mistake? For me, that would have to be the vast selection of incompetent managers. He should have realised long before now that his 'committee' concept wasn't working, put his hands up and admitted as much...then brought in someone who could do the job. For me, it's as simple as that.

Gimme an H...

Stupid Thread, Everyone knows the answer to that question. Romanov is an idiot and always will be for getting rid of George Burley. Well done GFA, we've got a great manager now.

Starting to get involved with the team.

If Vlad had never got involved with the team, Burley would not have left (IMO), we would have won the league, we would not be playing below-par Lithuanians, we would probably still be receiving positive press (As I recall there was an in-depth interview with Vlad in the Daily Ranger when he arrived and the press were actually not bad-mouthing Hearts at all) etc. etc. the list is huge.

Guest JamboRobbo
From a footballing perspective then the obvious choice would be sacking Burley but I still believe there was far more to that fiasco than was ever made public. I wish it hadn't happened but if certain rumours are true, then I completely understand why he had to go.

OMG. Sorry, but you do remember we appointed Rix after Burley? What do you think Burley did that was worse than what Rix did? Yet we had no problem with apppointing the "Hero".

Sorry if you think I was rude.

I didnt think disagreeing and suggesting that approach was conceited was considered rude.

But as my reply explains, i dont agree that we have a god given right to Romanovs money.

Sorry you take my replies the wrong way.

Apology accepted. My point was that if I knew the club's debt would have doubled in three years I would've been more concerned about the wage bill and transfer fees in year one which I naively thought Romanov was underwriting to some extent.

Biggest single mistake has to be not trusting who had been put in place to do the job of running Hearts.

VR sacked Burley, our manager.

VR sacked Phil Anderton, our CEO.

VR forced Foulkes out, our Chairperson.

We still have no manager.

We still have no CEO.

We still have no Chairperson.

Biggest mistake? Sacking Burley. Not because Burley is some sort of mesiah bit because that set off a chain reaction of awful events from which we have never recovered.

Ok, without making sweeping statements such as...coming to Scotland, buying Hearts or meddling in team affairs.

I think if VR had been able to realsie what a good thing Burley was for the club, we would still be riding the crest of the success he would haev brought.

Im not suggesting we would have won the league or anything, just that the high we were on, the good atmosphere, the classy performances, would still be ongoing. The players he could have brought and integrated into the squad would have us in a solid position to be a worrying challenge for the OF.

I think the failure of VR to deal with Burleys success and popularity was a huge backwards step and soemthing we are suffering from to this day.

Basically exactly what was in the record today then.

I agree though.

I'm afraid I have to agree with this. It's impossible to tie it down to one, single, biggest mistake - they all flow from his flawed view of how a football club can be run and from his personality.

He's either incredibly stupid or impossibly naive, or both. Doesn't seem to realise that margins between success and failure are very fine in professional sport and that if you do anything at all which fails to maximise your team's prospects, you're not going to achieve success.

Lots on here have hailed the idiot as a great 'businessman'. What kind of businessman would buy a business, which he has little knowledge of or the market it operates in ,then let it run down the way he has done.

Any other 'businessman' is interested in maximising his investment and will do so by making his product the best in that market.

So far he has been a success for himself as he looks to have trousered most of the transfer monies paid for players he has sold and not invested it back into his product.

His biggest intentional mistake was undoubtedly the catastrophic decision to sack Burley. All our current ills can be traced back to that galactically bone headed idea.

It's beyond the realm of logic and reason for anyone to say that Burley was "harming" Hearts every day. Utter tripe.

It was this decision, more than any other, that proved romanov couldn't care less about Hearts or the supporters.

OMG. Sorry, but you do remember we appointed Rix after Burley? What do you think Burley did that was worse than what Rix did? Yet we had no problem with apppointing the "Hero".

I think appointing Rix was a disaster for a wide variety of reasons but I was far less concerned by his past than his managerial capabilities. The idea of someone his age sleeping with a teenager isn't pleasant, but it wasn't the horror story that it was made out to be.

And anyway, I didn't say that Burley did anything worse than Rix...if rumours are true then the two situations are completely incomparable. If Burley did things which had the potential to seriously damage the club, then booting him out of the door wasn't just the right thing to do; it was essential.

SOMEONE LETTING HIM BUY A FAX MACHINE ....HA HA

not suggesting we would have won the league or anything, just that the high we were on, the good atmosphere, the classy performances, would still be ongoing. The players he could have brought and integrated into the squad would have us in a solid position to be a worrying challenge for the OF.

I would say getting involved in fantasy football.

Guest JamboRobbo
I think appointing Rix was a disaster for a wide variety of reasons but I was far less concerned by his past than his managerial capabilities. The idea of someone his age sleeping with a teenager isn't pleasant, but it wasn't the horror story that it was made out to be.

And anyway, I didn't say that Burley did anything worse than Rix...if rumours are true then the two situations are completely incomparable. If Burley did things which had the potential to seriously damage the club, then booting him out of the door wasn't just the right thing to do; it was essential.

So Burley was damaging the club every day.

Next you'll be telling me Pressley was the cancer and Roman has found the cure.

Romanov is nothing but a Pimp, the club is his wh*re, and we the fans come along every saturday, pay our money and get about the same amount of satisfaction a cheap wh*re could deliver in 3 minutes out of the 90 allocated.

But being a Hearts supporter is the same as sex, our basic needs need to be met.

So what is Vlads biggest mistake then? treating us with contempt? Absolutely, but he knows we'll keep coming back for more.

Thats not his fault, but for what its worth I think he's a fud thats quite happy to sling us deefies.

Chad Sexington
Romanov is nothing but a Pimp, the club is his wh*re, and we the fans come along every saturday, pay our money and get about the same amount of satisfaction a cheap wh*re could deliver in 3 minutes out of the 90 allocated.

But being a Hearts supporter is the same as sex, our basic needs need to be met.

So what is Vlads biggest mistake then? treating us with contempt? Absolutely, but he knows we'll keep coming back for more.

Thats not his fault, but for what its worth I think he's a fud thats quite happy to sling us deefies.

I reckon he could be in for a nasty surprise come ST renewal time unless he pulls his finger out.

The Burley drinking, womanising, agency thing our little more than a smear campaign. I think Anderton has confirmed as much.

People will believe what they want to believe. Doesn't make it true.

For the record hasn't it been confirmed that certain rumours/suggestion have come to this board via a source that was/is very close to Vlad. Perhaps these should be treated with the sceptism they deserve.

Anderton has refused to say one way or another why he left but has also stated that he's not bound by any confidentiality agreement. Why do you think he won't say his piece? You may think differently, but I'm convinced that he thinks its in Burley's best interests that he doesn't go into any detail. It's probably also in the club's interests and given that Anderton would probably like to keep working, he's unlikely to feel comfortable about badmouthing the club.

As for the club conducting a smear campaign, that's quite possible...but there were plenty of rumours circulating about Burley well before Vlad took issue with him. If you don't believe that, just ask any Derby fan and I'm sure they'd be able to give you a few interesting stories. Exercising healthy scepticism is sensible but just for the record, my sources were journalist friends of mine. Not anyone connected with the club or JKB. The rumours were there long before Burley arrived in Edinburgh.

john brownlee
Burley was without a doubt his biggest mistake. With the team he had playing and given some extra money in the January and next pre-season Vlad could have been God! We'd be moaning 23'000 isn't enough for a new stand.

Think we'd be level pegging with the OF now!!!

If sir george was that much of a success he would be at the GFA select by now or he would have been of to another club quicker than snaw off a dyke.. Just imagine getting rixxy now

Underestimating the passion from the Hearts support and trying to con us with throw away comments such as 'the most intelligent supporters.......'

Unforgivable.

Guest JamboRobbo
If sir george was that much of a success he would be at the GFA select by now or he would have been of to another club quicker than snaw off a dyke.. Just imagine getting rixxy now

What? He might leave us for a bigger and better job if he's successful? Oh well, may as well just get rid of him before we experience the success eh.

So Burley was damaging the club every day.

Next you'll be telling me Pressley was the cancer and Roman has found the cure.

:laugh:

Not quite...again, I think Pressley and Vlad were both up to no good there. The idea of every story having a victim is much more media friendly, but I don't believe that anything is ever that straightforward. Certainly not that saga, anyway.

And oy...I didn't say that he was damaging the club 'every day'. I'm quite capable of getting myself in trouble without being tarred with Vladisms. :P

But yes, I think there was reason to believe that he had the potential to damage the club. What amazes me is that so many are happy to think that it was all about Vlad's fragile ego, that Burley had to go because Vlad was suffering from some kind of weird jealousy issues. That's the ridiculous stuff as far as I'm concerned.

I reckon he could be in for a nasty surprise come ST renewal time unless he pulls his finger out.

If there is no manager in place, and actually managing, I think you could be correct.

Archived