Sean Clare ( merged )

hthejambo

4 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

And livi. 

He needs to just hit it next time, unlike yourself I do think he over e thinks it, trys cute little flicks and side foot, nice finishes. 

His pass v Hamilton should have left Djoum with a  an open goal. A sign of an aware player imo. Good defending there I thought. 

His Hibs chance that he flicked is one where I think he thought the keeper would rush out and dive at him so he decided he was flicking it over him, but the keeper stayed back and made him look an arse. 

Put your left foot through it, lad. 

Time to just pull the trigger, me thinks.

50/50 that way and best when confidence is low. 

A player would have had nothing in his mind but shooting when right through against Hamilton.

His 'flick' against Hibs virtually ran along the ground, so the ball was never going over the keeper even if he had dived!

Agree with the rest of your post.

Edited by Thomaso

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Beast Boy

• Phil Dunphy

• Alex Kintner

31 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

This is an absolute pet hate of mine - taking a touch onto your 'stronger' foot when you should just lace it with your weaker foot when you're under pressure.

If your 'weaker' foot is good enough to take a touch with and tee your stronger foot up with, it's good enough to ping with.

When you're in the opposition box 9 times out of 10 you're going to get a tackle coming in, in that situation just swing your weaker leg at it!

Just as an aside - Olly Lee had a pile driver saved against Hamilton. He hit it with his right foot.

He scored in the next game against Hibs with another pile driver - he hit that one with his left foot.

Edited by Thomaso

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

A player would have had nothing in his mind but shooting when right through against Hamilton.

His 'flick' against Hibs virtually ran along the ground, so the was never going over the keeper even though he dived!

Agree with the rest of your post.

Nah, look at ozil. Some players will look for the pass if a teamate has an open goal, I've no problem with that. 

In fact it annoys me if a player shoots when a team mate has an open goal. 

The flick, I felt if the keeper had came and dived at his feet, the chances  were it would have been a cute finish, but badly executed as the keeper never done that and he went with it anyway, shite finish, weak finish. 

Better players will miss easier chances tho, not worth berating the boy about it. 

35 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Not sure if that's aimed at me Phil.  I have never claimed Clare is "shite" - I also acknowledge he needed time to adjust, although he has been training with us for 5 months and has now played in 12 games.

I am commenting on the clear chances he had to score at Easter Road, and against Hamilton, that give an indication to his "potential". In both cases he unfortunately fluffed his lines.

Nope, not at you. At those who refuse to acknowledge the exterior reasons why he’s taking time to adapt. 

Generic Username
59 minutes ago, cruzabic said:

I don't understand the "a few nice touches chat".  One or 2 nice touches in 90 minutes is garbage. In all honesty he won 2 very good headers which he put high up in the atmosphere and one fell to Naismith and one fell to Lee (the goal). In an Edinburgh derby he was put through twice with a few yards to spare and nothing materialised from either. The second could have been a penalty but I thought he played for it with slowing down and backing into Ambrose. The first was pitiful...to be through one on one and then hit the ball like the way he did that had the power, accuracy and ability of the weak foot of a 6 year old sums up a lot for me. I'm praying hoping he comes a player, and I will stand and hold my hands up if he does. However don't priase someone who thus far had done nothing and had only 4 shots (2 off target) in 12 games as a striker.

He was running forward, then slowed down, whilst still maintaining forward momentum and also pushing his body backwards into a defender? Is that even physically possible?

26 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

And livi. 

He needs to just hit it next time, unlike yourself I do think he over e thinks it, trys cute little flicks and side foot, nice finishes. 

His pass v Hamilton should have left Djoum with a  an open goal. A sign of an aware player imo. Good defending there I thought. 

His Hibs chance that he flicked is one where I think he thought the keeper would rush out and dive at him so he decided he was flicking it over him, but the keeper stayed back and made him look an arse. 

Put your left foot through it, lad. 

Time to just pull the trigger, me thinks.

50/50 that way and best when confidence is low. 

The one against Livi, I thought their keeper did well to come out and block it at close range. 

To be fair, he showed a fair turn of pace and seemed to glide over the turf and that gives me hope that he will do the business for us. 

His performance in the derby was the very least I would expect from a Hearts player in a derby match. 

When he had the chances to put the game to bed he couldn’t. He looks like he could be a player but needs to start producing for 90 minutes. 

20 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Nah, look at ozil. Some players will look for the pass if a teamate has an open goal, I've no problem with that. 

In fact it annoys me if a player shoots when a team mate has an open goal. 

The flick, I felt if the keeper had came and dived at his feet, the chances  were it would have been a cute finish, but badly executed as the keeper never done that and he went with it anyway, shite finish, weak finish. 

Better players will miss easier chances tho, not worth berating the boy about it. 

Djoume did not have an open goal - the defender was right up his back. The fact is that Clare was right through and had the best chance to score by pulling the trigger.

As for the 'flick' the keeper didn't come and was no where near Clare to flick it over him. The best chance to score was hitting it with his left foot surely.

I'm not "berating the boy" I'm merely pointing out the incidents that have coloured by judgement of him so far.

We all want him to improve and become the quality player we were promised. So far that is based more on hope than actual performances.

Harry Potter
8 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

As with Naismith, we won’t be seeeing the best of this lad until next season. 

When we get back to full quality the pressure will be off the laddie, hope he moves forward , has great pace.

stirlingshirejambo
8 minutes ago, Meestah Sahmon said:

He was running forward, then slowed down, whilst still maintaining forward momentum and also pushing his body backwards into a defender? Is that even physically possible?

I've not watched it since but I was sure Ambrose clipped the bottom of his foot similar to the Suso cup final penalty

1 hour ago, cruzabic said:

I don't understand the "a few nice touches chat".  One or 2 nice touches in 90 minutes is garbage. In all honesty he won 2 very good headers which he put high up in the atmosphere and one fell to Naismith and one fell to Lee (the goal). In an Edinburgh derby he was put through twice with a few yards to spare and nothing materialised from either. The second could have been a penalty but I thought he played for it with slowing down and backing into Ambrose. The first was pitiful...to be through one on one and then hit the ball like the way he did that had the power, accuracy and ability of the weak foot of a 6 year old sums up a lot for me. I'm praying hoping he comes a player, and I will stand and hold my hands up if he does. However don't priase someone who thus far had done nothing and had only 4 shots (2 off target) in 12 games as a striker.

You understand the game far too much for some on here, didn't you realise that first header into the air was an 'assist'? 

He’s been improving the fitter and more confident he’s got. His first few games he certainly wasn’t used to the pace of the game and has taken time to adapt and realise that it’s physical, fast and furious up here.

Once he gets his goal and is playing in a winning team he’ll get improve significantly. 

9 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

As with Naismith, we won’t be seeeing the best of this lad until next season. 

See I just don't get that comparison with Naismith.

Naismith may well have been short of full fitness and match practice last season, however he still scored goals for us, and made telling contributions to the team - as such you could tell he was a quality player.

Apart from 'gliding over the turf' occasionally, and winning a few headers against Hibs we have seen very little to confirm Clare is the quality player his reputation suggests.

Now we all hope Clare comes good, but comparing him with the Naismith situation is with respect nonsense.

To me he looks like someone who has won a reality TV football contest and is realising he is now out of his depth!

I am sure that if he comes good, you will all let me know!

4 minutes ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

I've not watched it since but I was sure Ambrose clipped the bottom of his foot similar to the Suso cup final penalty

I thought it was a penalty - however Clare played for it, rather than attacking the goal and having a shot. 

1 hour ago, cruzabic said:

This is STILL where I'm at. Nothing changes with him. He has been brutal and can't believe people are being positive about him. I'm sure every person on this forum could have a few nice touches in the amount of game time he has had.

Likewise I'm happy to be proved wrong but I've said that for 2 months now.

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Had the chance last week to watch a re-run of the last Derby for the first time. I paid close attention to the performance of Clare.

He had one or two very nice touches, won some headers, and run himself into the ground until he was knackered after 75 minutes.

His two big moments were when he was twice played in on goal with a great chance to score the killer second.

On the second one he basically played for a penalty (I think it was one!) instead of driving in and having a shot - this may well be down to the lack of confidence that some are referring to.

With the first chance however he tried to pretty much flick the ball in with his right foot instead of hammering it with his left - that left me with the impression that he is one footed. I'm maybe wrong there but I have no idea why he favoured his right foot in that situation. 

Sit him down, go through the video analysis of both games with him & ask him wtf were you thinking on each of the occasions you highlight. Then you’ll have your answer and no doubt the opportunity as a coach to tell him what to do in future. Simple.

Just now, sac said:

Sit him down, go through the video analysis of both games with him & ask him wtf were you thinking on each of the occasions you highlight. Then you’ll have your answer and no doubt the opportunity as a coach to tell him what to do in future. Simple.

Great idea. Take it you addressing this to Craig Levein?

6 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

To me he looks like someone who has won a reality TV football contest and is realising he is now out of his depth!

I am sure that if he comes good, you will all let me know!

In a world of utter shite, this is a winner. 

Absolute nonsense. 

Just now, Sir Gio said:

I am erring on the hope he will come good. 

FTFY

:thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

This is STILL where I'm at. Nothing changes with him. He has been brutal and can't believe people are being positive about him. I'm sure every person on this forum could have a few nice touches in the amount of game time he has had.

Likewise I'm happy to be proved wrong but I've said that for 2 months now.

I find that very hard to believe. 

21 minutes ago, Meestah Sahmon said:

You slow down just as you get in the box and the defender runs into the back of you looking like a foul. Players who have no pace do it all the time...

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

trying to pass to Djoume instead of shooting against Hamilton, does not suggest a 'thinking' player to me.

I'm hoping he becomes more that a decent player for us.

This is absolute nonsense he played the right pass to djoum who should have scored your desperation to criticise him is blinding you to reality 

1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I find that very hard to believe. 

Eh?

I'd be delighted if he came good. Can't see it though, he is a wast of a jersey just now. 

1 minute ago, Gorgieshed said:

Eh?

I'd be delighted if he came good. Can't see it though, he is a wast of a jersey just now. 

You’re one of the folk I referred to in my previous post around people being completely unwilling to think about why he’s struggled for form so far. 

Absolute shambles of a support. 

scott herbertson

I don’t get the expectation around him. I realise we talked him up when he arrived but there is nothing on his previous career or the available you tube clips to suggest he is a striker. My expectation was that he was a young midfielder we saw potential in,  not that he was going to be a regular goal scorer 

prior to joining us he had scored 3 goals in 40 games mostly in worse leagues than the SPL

Edited by scott herbertson

Generic Username
3 minutes ago, cruzabic said:

You slow down just as you get in the box and the defender runs into the back of you looking like a foul. Players who have no pace do it all the time...

Slowing down to draw a foul by letting the defender clatter into you is completely fine, the way you worded it made it sound like Sean Clare had mastered the ability to move his body backwards whilst moving his body forwards. Obviously it's physically impossible to back into someone whilst moving forwards.

13 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

See I just don't get that comparison with Naismith.

Naismith may well have been short of full fitness and match practice last season, however he still scored goals for us, and made telling contributions to the team - as such you could tell he was a quality player.

Apart from 'gliding over the turf' occasionally, and winning a few headers against Hibs we have seen very little to confirm Clare is the quality player his reputation suggests.

Now we all hope Clare comes good, but comparing him with the Naismith situation is with respect nonsense.

This. Naismith wasn't amazing last season but he was still *good* and having obviously proven himself at a higher level it was reasonable to assume there was more to come. I hope Clare goes on to be an important player for us but I just don't see it so far. 

1 minute ago, Hogan3012 said:

This is absolute nonsense he played the right pass to djoum who should have scored your desperation to criticise him is blinding you to reality 

And that is absolute nonsense. A confident quality football player would have taken the chance himself. Patently it was not the "right pass" as we did not score as the defender was close enough to get a last ditch tackle in - unless of course it was all Djoumes fault was it??

The "desperation" is yours trying to paint me into some kind of Clare hater - read my posts they suggest nothing of the sort.

Clare will be absolutely fine. 

Especially now that Vanacek is through the door.

The 10 year old I want it nows will be all over him if he doesn't score 10 successive hat tricks.

Edited by Oliver Twist

2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

You’re one of the folk I referred to in my previous post around people being completely unwilling to think about why he’s struggled for form so far. 

Absolute shambles of a support. 

Aye OK.

How does that me part of ur 'shambles of a support'?

I don't boo the guy at games. I'm writing my opinion on a fans forum, which is all about opinions.

He can still turn it around in time. However I would love to see his stats to back up my opinion that he has been brutal. Not one thing springs to mind where I've thought, that was brilliant by Clare, or Clare had a good game today. I have watched/attended most of the games he has been involved in and watched in hope that he improves, he never does.

Good players can be seen when teams struggle, he isn't even seen seen when the team is winning. 

Not really read the thread but I just wanted to mention the customer I had in the cab last night. Talk turned to football and as soon as I mentioned Hearts, the boy in the back said “aww man, you took Sean Clare away from us!!”

Turned out the boy was a Sheff Wed season ticket holder. He told me he was an exciting player who they loved at Hillsborough. Said he always got the crowd on their feet. I told him he’s shown glimpses of what he can do, but he’s yet to settle into Scottish football. The guy told me it’ll be worth the wait. 

So there ye go.

6 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Clare will be absolutely fine. 

Especially now that Vanacek is through the door.

The 10 year old I want it nows will be all over him if he doesn't score 10 successive hat tricks.

You don't do exaggeration do you Olly?  :whistling:

7 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Not really read the thread but I just wanted to mention the customer I had in the cab last night. Talk turned to football and as soon as I mentioned Hearts, the boy in the back said “aww man, you took Sean Clare away from us!!”

Turned out the boy was a Sheff Wed season ticket holder. He told me he was an exciting player who they loved at Hillsborough. Said he always got the crowd on their feet. I told him he’s shown glimpses of what he can do, but he’s yet to settle into Scottish football. The guy told me it’ll be worth the wait. 

So there ye go.

Can I have the guys number?  I need confirmation..........:thumbsup:

Edited by Thomaso

13 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

And that is absolute nonsense. A confident quality football player would have taken the chance himself. Patently it was not the "right pass" as we did not score as the defender was close enough to get a last ditch tackle in - unless of course it was all Djoumes fault was it??

The "desperation" is yours trying to paint me into some kind of Clare hater - read my posts they suggest nothing of the sort.

It was really unselfish. That miss is on Djoum, not Clare. 

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

You don't do exaggeration do you Olly?  :whistling:

You're right of course.

The 8 year old I want it nows is nearer the mark.

Just now, Thomaso said:

Can I have the guys number?  I need re-assurance..........:thumbsup:

I don’t have husband number, but I dropped him and his lady off at Miller and Carter on Frederick St about half eight. Fire up, he might still be there ?

scott herbertson
9 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

So there ye go.

Thats good to hear. He clearly has skill. I’m struggling to see what his natural position is but I’m sure the menagement have an idea

Edited by scott herbertson

8 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

Aye OK.

How does that me part of ur 'shambles of a support'?

I don't boo the guy at games. I'm writing my opinion on a fans forum, which is all about opinions.

He can still turn it around in time. However I would love to see his stats to back up my opinion that he has been brutal. Not one thing springs to mind where I've thought, that was brilliant by Clare, or Clare had a good game today. I have watched/attended most of the games he has been involved in and watched in hope that he improves, he never does.

Good players can be seen when teams struggle, he isn't even seen seen when the team is winning. 

You openly admitted that you made your mind up about him two months ago. About 2 or 3 games after a long term injury, in a new team with new teammates, in a new league and a team struggling for any sort of form. 

Bully for you. Like I said before, some folk are just completely unwilling to take into account any external reason for why he didn’t hit the ground running. 

No worries though, I suppose he’s an easier target than someone like Berra or Morrison. 

Just now, Taffin said:

It was really unselfish. That miss is on Djoum, not Clare. 

Passing the buck I call it.......

Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

You openly admitted that you made your mind up about him two months ago. About 2 or 3 games after a long term injury, in a new team with new teammates, in a new league and a team struggling for any sort of form. 

Bully for you. Like I said before, some folk are just completely unwilling to take into account any external reason for why he didn’t hit the ground running. 

No worries though, I suppose he’s an easier target than someone like Berra or Morrison. 

Why would Berra be a "target"?????

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I'm a bit disappointed that he's made a mediocre impression so far but Wednesday rated him (a shambles though they are at the moment) and I've still got plenty of hope for him. Just hope he can settle.

Just now, Thomaso said:

Passing the buck I call it.......

But that's because it suits your agenda. Shoots and misses and he gets lambasted for not passing it. He took one of two options and Djoum fluffed it. 

2 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

You're right of course.

The 8 year old I want it nows is nearer the mark.

Even more hilarious than your last effort Olly!

Just now, Thomaso said:

Because his form immediately after returning from injury was shaky. 

Theres not not a single Hearts player that can say “I played well” during that stinking run of results, yet some can escape the spotlight for reasons unknown. Let’s just pick on the new boy adjusting to the league, because we heard Spurs were looking at him. 

3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

He is just talking p!sh and can't handle the fact that some fans think Clare is pony.

Edited by Gorgieshed