Sean Clare ( merged )

hthejambo

19 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

he can only get better hopefully as so far he aint looked that good mind you saying that the whole midfield have been shit the last few games !!!!!  :HeartsManspotrun:

I think the midfield miss Naismith shouting at them what to do and making himself available. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Beast Boy

• Phil Dunphy

• Alex Kintner

Just watched the highlights and he looked poor. Loads of Celtic chances coming down our right and he’s just sauntering back and making no effort to defend. Doesn’t look interested. Appreciate he needs a pre season but a bit more effort is required. Should be nowhere near the first team at the moment. 

Didn’t get out quick enough for the 3rd goal and left Forrest, pointing fingers as he did, for the 4th. Hopefully he improves.

A_A wehatethehibs

The fitness is not there, the guy should not be playing but he is through necessity. A lot of hard work ahead for him. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I like him and he’ll be better than this at full tilt. Agree that having the older head of Naismith in there would help a lot of people

He clearly isn’t fit and so looks off the pace so we need to give him a bit time. 

A worrying thing for me is he has poor  body language and looks like he can’t be arsed at times and you will never get away with looking like you are not trying as the fans will be on his back. 

Happy to give him time to get up to speed and show his abilities. 

1 hour ago, rick witter said:

He clearly isn’t fit and so looks off the pace so we need to give him a bit time. 

A worrying thing for me is he has poor  body language and looks like he can’t be arsed at times and you will never get away with looking like you are not trying as the fans will be on his back. 

Happy to give him time to get up to speed and show his abilities. 

This is the worry for me. Can forgive being a yard slow and not looking sharp if he’s not fit but the biggest question mark for me so far is his willingness to graft. Looks like he thinks he’s better than he is and we all know that doesn’t work in our league.

Hopefully be proven wrong, not that I’m one to boo and lose my shit at players anyway!

4 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Reminds me a bit of El Hass, although that might just be because hes a tall, skinny bloke wearing number 9. Hopefully hes more like a Sow once hes up and running. 

This 

12 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The fitness is not there, the guy should not be playing but he is through necessity. A lot of hard work ahead for him. 

This is the key thing.  

He is a young player who has been out injured for 7 months and had no pre-season and played ZERO development games.

We have then (bar 25 mins as a sub) plunged him straight into two of our most important, highest tempo games of the season.

Whilst it is true he hasn't set the heather on fire  as yet, there has been plenty of evidence to suggest that he will go on to be a very important player for us.

He is a player whose game is built on pace, strength and stamina and those attributes will improve with every game he plays.

Tokyo Drifter

From the little I've seen what he looks most short of is confidence. The speed, ability and technique are there, I think. When he becomes used to the speed of the game and gets to know his team-mates better I think he'll sort himself out. Remember Naisey didn't exactly get off to a flyer, did he? 

17 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Reminds me a bit of El Hass, although that might just be because hes a tall, skinny bloke wearing number 9. Hopefully hes more like a Sow once hes up and running. 

Sadly I had the same thought.

Are we saying Clare will not come good until he has a full pre-season with us - that seemed to be the party line on here with regards to El Hass?

wattie exploited
19 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I think the midfield miss Naismith shouting at them what to do and making himself available. 

the midfield shouldn't need to be told what to do but your right here !!!!:rifle:

wattie exploited
19 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

He possibly didn't do himself any favours by saying he had been courted by a number of EPL teams before selecting HMFC, when there is no evidence to suggest that is actually the case. I'm guessing he is not fully fit yet, but having watched the games he has played so far I'm still none the wiser as to where he will fit into our side best.

its early days yet but showed nothing so far ,yeah left midfield i think ?

1 hour ago, Texia said:

Very premature to be comparing him to El Hass imo.

Agreed - the comparison was some on here said El Hass needed a full pre-season. Some on here seem to be suggesting the same with Clare.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I hope I am wrong, but not been very many hints so far! I am sure he will get better, not certain though that he has star quality. He has come into a very difficult run at a difficult time, things not really in his favour, but even allowing for that, even glimpses, touches have been little to note.....so far, very early

12 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I hope I am wrong, but not been very many hints so far! I am sure he will get better, not certain though that he has star quality. He has come into a very difficult run at a difficult time, things not really in his favour, but even allowing for that, even glimpses, touches have been little to note.....so far, very early

He has been training with us for what? 7 weeks??  He is short of game time, but if you have natural ability you don't just forget how to play football.

Really hope he can make a positive contribution against Killie (if he plays) and shows us at least a glimpse of the cracking reputation he came with.

21 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

He reminds me of El Hassanoui as well which is worrying.

The lad is maybe not fully fit yet but he has showed very little technical ability in the games he has played.

Hopefully he gets more time on the ball against Kilmarnock on Saturday and he starts to find his rhythm. We really need this signing to work for us with the amount of injuries we have and the fact we broke our budget to sign him.

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Agreed - the comparison was some on here said El Hass needed a full pre-season. Some on here seem to be suggesting the same with Clare.

Not having a pre-season won't help, but the much bigger issue is that he's having to gain match fitness in the first team which is a huge ask.

It's all very unfair on Clare and has been forced on us by the injury crisis.  He didn't let anyone down last Wednesday night and whilst Saturday was a painful exercise for everyone, he will benefit from getting more minutes in his legs.

Not having a go and acting superior or know-it-all here, but I feel as though this exact same thread comes up regarding every single injured player of decent pedigree we have ever signed. I honestly think far too many fans do not appreciate or understand how long it takes to get up to speed after an injury. Seen it with so many players, judged harshly when not up to full fitness and match-sharpness yet.

53 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Not having a pre-season won't help, but the much bigger issue is that he's having to gain match fitness in the first team which is a huge ask.

It's all very unfair on Clare and has been forced on us by the injury crisis.  He didn't let anyone down last Wednesday night and whilst Saturday was a painful exercise for everyone, he will benefit from getting more minutes in his legs.

Sorry. Never read this post before my last comment. Completely agree.

I'm sure he'll be the classic hearts signing. Keek until the end of the season. The fans will turn on him. Starts next season amazingly and hailed as the  next messiah. Then gets injured. Out  for 5 months. Finishes his hearts career derided as a wage thief. Signs for Doncaster on a free. 

1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Not having a go and acting superior or know-it-all here, but I feel as though this exact same thread comes up regarding every single injured player of decent pedigree we have ever signed. I honestly think far too many fans do not appreciate or understand how long it takes to get up to speed after an injury. Seen it with so many players, judged harshly when not up to full fitness and match-sharpness yet.

You think people would realise given the difference in SN this season.

Just now, jambogaza said:

You think people would realise given the difference in SN this season.

You would. Apparently not though. Same with Suso, Djoum, Souttar, and many many others over the seasons. Just totally disregard any possible circumstances around loss of form and expect players to perform like machines after nasty injuries.

1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Begs the question though, why are we signing injured players who we know aren't going to have any pre-season?

5 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Begs the question though, why are we signing injured players who we know aren't going to have any pre-season?

Because we aren’t in a position to just sign them up on two/three year deals when they are flying and attracting interest from elsewhere. In Clare’s particular situation, he would be financially well out of our budget to pick up if it wasn’t for a combination of his injury, and the fact English teams would have to pay a development compensation fee for him. 

We have to pock up players this way and play the longer game where you know they will take time to get up to speed, but if they do, you’ve got a player you wouldn’t normally be able to get.

I don’t know if you fully appreciate just how massive the gulf in finances is between the SPFL Premiership and the English Championship nowadays. It’s ridiculous tbh.

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

Clubs firefighting at the moment,too many crucial players out and we will be scrapping for another few weeks still.Club is doing well patching in from our pool needs patience. 

8 hours ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

From the little I've seen what he looks most short of is confidence. The speed, ability and technique are there, I think. When he becomes used to the speed of the game and gets to know his team-mates better I think he'll sort himself out. Remember Naisey didn't exactly get off to a flyer, did he? 

this is exactly what i'm thinking Naisy wasn't match 'sharp' his first season with us. Once he got a pre-season and proper up to speed he was like a different player. Lets hope Clare is much the same :D 

Personally I don’t think we will see much flair from him until after the winter break and more likely beginning of next season. He has swagger and certainly a reputation. We will be thankful to have him next season I’m sure of it. 

Its actually quite refreshing to see to see how hard it is for him in a way, much like Ollie Lee in that “he has joined a better league” as you could see he was stunned by the speed and intensity of the Derby! Rabbit in headlights but he will come good 

what I mean by refreshing is I get the feeling players from championship and below think it will be easy up here 

Edited by red

jamboinglasgow
6 minutes ago, BobbyJenkins said:

Just back from an injury/op, barely played, shut up ffs ?

Not counting injury time (which at a stretch is probably 6 extra mins in total) he has played 201 minutes of competitive football both first team and reserve this season. So 2 games and 21 minutes. Of which the vast majority of it came in a battling derby which is hard to show your skill and a game against Celtic which the whole team capitulated. 

He has been slow in getting going but that is to be expected. You could see in glimpses in the last two games that he likes to run at the opposition and as his confidence comes and he gets used to the speed of the game we will see the player that Levein is excited about.

2 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Because we aren’t in a position to just sign them up on two/three year deals when they are flying and attracting interest from elsewhere. In Clare’s particular situation, he would be financially well out of our budget to pick up if it wasn’t for a combination of his injury, and the fact English teams would have to pay a development compensation fee for him. 

We have to pock up players this way and play the longer game where you know they will take time to get up to speed, but if they do, you’ve got a player you wouldn’t normally be able to get.

I don’t know if you fully appreciate just how massive the gulf in finances is between the SPFL Premiership and the English Championship nowadays. It’s ridiculous tbh.

Of course I do, but you touched on it being something Hearts have done over a longer period of time than just Clare.

I'm sure he'll be upto speed enough to impact games against bottom 6. Just need to bring him on in 70+ minutes in bigger games once we have our big guns back.

4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Not counting injury time (which at a stretch is probably 6 extra mins in total) he has played 201 minutes of competitive football both first team and reserve this season. So 2 games and 21 minutes. Of which the vast majority of it came in a battling derby which is hard to show your skill and a game against Celtic which the whole team capitulated. 

He has been slow in getting going but that is to be expected. You could see in glimpses in the last two games that he likes to run at the opposition and as his confidence comes and he gets used to the speed of the game we will see the player that Levein is excited about.

Still far far too early

On 31/10/2018 at 22:48, Marcus Cicero said:

I think he is just not got it - with 9 on his back why was he playing in midfield anyway, why not leading the line? Sorry nothing personal but he’s not going to do anything for us 

As time goes by, I seem to be gradually finding it harder to tell whether people are being satirical or stupid! 

31 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I actually thought he looked sharp in the derby.

i wish jj was my dad
5 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Good post. Some dafties couldn't understand why Naismith never hit top form last season after stuggling with injuries either.

4 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Far too many fans do not appreciate or understand anything at all about football, despite many of them having been watching it regularly for years!

hearts 4 the cup

The guy has hardly kicked a ball since march then gets rushed into the team. Appearances against Aberdeen, Celtic X 2 and Hibs isn't really an easy introduction either.

I agree with posters who thought he done alright in the Derby. I thought he had a very decent second half. Optimistic he'll come good

18 hours ago, David McCaig said:

That's all fine David, however we have not seen one glimpse of the exceptional ability that he is reputed to have - a good run, a cracking shot, an incisive pass, etc.  As I said he needs game time however you don't forget how to play football. 

• 3 weeks later...
siegementality

Listening to CL on the radio today prior to the game and he said Sean Clare was playing because we needed a high tempo and pace. CL said it was SC’s “time to shine” and he would “hopefully get on the scoresheet”. Clare subsequently has a stinker. Have we been sold the proverbial pup?

joondalupjambo

Nope he is just not 100% fit yet.  Once he is and playing along side Naisy and Uche then we can judge him I think.  I do not think he should be in the first eleven yet but we have limited options and CL has given him the nod.  I guess CL knows better than me why that is.

Hate jumping in too early as players deserve time but even in the short term you expect to see promise, snippets of determination and quality.  

Not sure we’ve seen that?

Prepared to give time to players who seem to be up for the fight and show they have some sort of quality.