Sean Clare ( merged )

hthejambo

The Future's Maroon
2 hours ago, BobbyJenkins said:

He’s definitely getting better but short of confidence. Clearly got ability n I’m hopeful he’ll come good. Was it him with the lovely pirouette to take the ball away from two players?

I could be wrong as was pissed but I think your thinking about Clevid and I think it was three players!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Beast Boy

• Phil Dunphy

• Alex Kintner

Bridge of Djoum
2 hours ago, andyscott82 said:

The same manager who recently said he reminded him of Colin Cameron? Praised his ball carrying skills? Said the rest would come with fitness and confidence? Ok then. 

You're honestly going to trust Levein's assessment of Clare over @bobskeldon's?

Crazy talk right there.

Must be some amount of world class footballers on this forum. 

The boy is a talent. He’s not long back from a bad injury, adjusting to a different league & a new team. Add in that he came into the team when every single player was playing poorly and if you can’t understand why he’s taking time to show his ability you probably shouldn’t be watching football. 

He has slowly improved each game. Fans saying they want him to be good yet boo his first mistake. He won more headers yesterday then McLean had won all season. He created the space to allow lee to shoot, he made some very good runs and started to get stuck in. We will begin to see the best of him the second half of the season, likely the best next season. 

Levein, Naismith and numerous English clubs reckon he’s talented so to say he’s rubbish and isn’t a player is frankly laughable.

Fans make their mind up on a player way to early and refuse to change it, unless he shows messi like capabilities.

Bridge of Djoum
17 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

I could be wrong as was pissed but I think your thinking about Clevid and I think it was three players!

I heard it was 14 players and he was smoking a slim panatella at the time.

12 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Well, we all see things differently. 

At the game I saw a player too tentative to come off his marker and show for the ball.  Only in the last 10 mins of the first half did he realise that you need to take a good touch, think quick and be sharp with your play in a derby.

In the second his decision making isn’t there. He tries to head an impossible ball to Naisy when it’s about taking a touch and getting it down.  Then he wins a tackle but plays a nothing ball thereafter against Ambrose when he should be taking him on.

He’s too timid.

Yeah, he’s playing like a young player coming back from his first major injury, playing in a new league and maybe lacking a wee bit confidence. Strange.

20 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Not make enough of the penalty!? He was fouled : boooked for diving (which it never was) so how could make more of it?

Some people just can’t wait for players to fail. 

Its clear that there is a player in there and he’s starting to improve.

nah let’s not be encouraged by the signs of improvement, let’s just moan and pick faults in other aspects of his game!

Plenty on the match thread night (me included) well impressed with Clare's attitude. I thought he put in a helluva shift and didn't go missing. Pity his forward play let him down (as if he was alone on that score) but he did a job last might. Fair play to the lad. 

I think people notice positive or negative things more depending on their gut feeling about how a player will get on. That is why some think he was great and others poor.

Levein on the other hand knows more about football and more about Clare. His judgement means a lot more. 

queensferryjambo

Clare was good last night IMO in a very tough fixture for us.

We had embarrassingly lost 5 straight derby matches at Easter Road in league and cup and now we win one and he is in the team working hard.

Clare is progressing and he will get better.

2 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I wouldn't worry. gowestjambo got his nose all bent out of shape when challenged on his claim that Michael Smith shouldn't be given a new deal.

Very Good Trolling Phil. Michael Smith has been excellent in the last two games. After those and other considerations I am in agreement with you on him.

5 hours ago, johnthomas said:

Yes he is improving but not there yet .

Why do so many immediately take the 'hes dug shit' line ?

Surely you wait and see hoping/expecting a positive outcome ?

You'd think that but some people on here are far too quick to judge and throw players under the bus.

My take on this is that the result changes people’s views massively. If we had lost 1-0 we would have been hounding Clare again last night. Gave the ball away too much, third touch on most dribbles too heavy and then criticising him for shooting with his right foot when it was never on, and not making more of the time he was through and went down when all He needed to do was wait for the contact or go across Ambrose. 

However we won 1-0, so we give him praise and commend his effort and runs. 

Both are true in my opinion. He is improving but from a very very poor starting point. He needs to continue to improve quite a bit. Levein saying his best game last night, probably true but that is still not a level Good enough for where we want to be  

3 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I think people notice positive or negative things more depending on their gut feeling about how a player will get on. That is why some think he was great and others poor.

Levein on the other hand knows more about football and more about Clare. His judgement means a lot more. 

Levein sees him in training everyday and his Colin Cameron comparison wasn’t made lightly.

It was made because he knows exactly what Sean Clare is capable of. 

I think he’ll continue to improve but it’ll be next season before he’s ‘at it’ 

29 minutes ago, El Diez said:

Levein sees him in training everyday and his Colin Cameron comparison wasn’t made lightly.

It was made because he knows exactly what Sean Clare is capable of. 

I think he’ll continue to improve but it’ll be next season before he’s ‘at it’ 

Yeah, that’s what I was getting at. I also think he’ll really show what he can do next season, but I think he’ll be much improved after the break too.

56 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

My take on this is that the result changes people’s views massively. If we had lost 1-0 we would have been hounding Clare again last night. Gave the ball away too much, third touch on most dribbles too heavy and then criticising him for shooting with his right foot when it was never on, and not making more of the time he was through and went down when all He needed to do was wait for the contact or go across Ambrose. 

Both are true in my opinion. He is improving but from a very very poor starting point. He needs to continue to improve quite a bit. Levein saying his best game last night, probably true but that is still not a level Good enough for where we want to be  

Good post but far too detailed an analysis of SC for many on here who are much, much more ‘general’ and ‘vague’ in their predictions that he will be a player

1. soon

2. when he is fit

3. when he gets “up to speed”

4. when he has a pre-season

5. when he scores his first goal

6. In the future

3 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Good post but far too detailed an analysis of SC for many on here who are much, much more ‘general’ and ‘vague’ in their predictions that he will be a player

1. soon

2. when he is fit

3. when he gets “up to speed”

4. when he has a pre-season

5. when he scores his first goal

6. In the future

alright , i'll say he's gonna be brilliant next game he plays

Bazzas right boot

I think everyone is correct on this thread. 

He has shown good technique, and an impressive turn of pace at times. 

He's also go more stuck in and won allot of headers more recently and got more involved in the game. 

He is, however, still on the periphery of the game for the most part and can be too timid, he's also had a few decent chances to score but made a bit of an arse of it. 

He's also a young guy, in a new team, in a new league recovering from injury. 

Everybody is correct... In a way. 

JKB first. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

6 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Clare did this – haven't seen a replay of it, but it was a really nice piece of skill. 

1 hour ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

He's also go more stuck in and won allot of headers more recently and got more involved in the game. 

He is, however, still on the periphery of the game for the most part and can be too timid, he's also had a few decent chances to score but made a bit of an arse of it. 

JKB first. 

Very diplomatic, a glittering political career beckons.

Delighted for Sean Clare’s sake that we have a manager who knows that he’s a work in progress and progress is exactly what we’re seeing. Much more to come from SC and playing alongside Naismith will bring him along very nicely thank you. 

2 hours ago, hearts00 said:

The result changes the interpretation of his performance because he won the header to assist the goal, if he hadn't won the header it could easily have been 0-0. He also won a similar header straight after the restart which nearly led to Naismith making it 2-0. Also a couple of great we pieces of skill that other posters have highlighted. I have high hopes for him in 2019. I'm also quite excited to see Peter Haring playing fully fit after his hernia operation.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Very diplomatic, a glittering political career beckons.

?

Just read the comments and thought most had a point, if not exaggerating theirs a bit too much. 

Think everyone is- if not  completely cortect, not incorrect  either in their observations! 

7 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

You're honestly going to trust Levein's assessment of Clare over @bobskeldon's?

Crazy talk right there.

I know, I really should listen to the expert...

10 hours ago, Getintaethem said:

Still not gave up on this lad, and think the January training camp will do wonders for his fitness.  A goal would certainly help his confidence too.  Don't think he played well last night though.

Defensively he was slow to close his man down several times which allowed them to get crosses into our box.  He should have done better with both opportunities when clean through, the first he should have hit with his left, that could be down to confidence to though.    Had some good moments but also lost possession a few times unnecessarily.  Didn't have an easy role last night in the position he was asked to play to be fair to him, and kept going right to the end.

Think he needs to find that extra half yard, a bit like Naismith last season, and could do with working on his upper body strength, but in terms of touch and ability I can see a player in there when fully fit.

Ah finally someone who knows his fitbaw 

sean needs to try harder 

Rightly so it’s all about Olly’s superb drag back an finish but having watched it 126 times (and counting) you can also recognise it was a very intelligent header from Clare. Normally you look to flick these on goal words but he headed it so as to hold it up as he and Lee were furthest upfield, worth mentioning. Fantastic to see 2 midfielders breaking forward and linking for a goal shows some understanding as to what was being asked. 

4 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

JKB first. 

Great post.

You can quote me on this and I’ll be happy for it to be thrown in my face if I’m wrong but....

He’ll be our best player next season. He’s been asked to fill in for gaps in the team at the moment it seems. I honestly think with a more settled squad and playing in an advanced midfield role (probably similar to Djoum’s role this season) he’ll excell. 

Had the chance last week to watch a re-run of the last Derby for the first time. I paid close attention to the performance of Clare.

He had one or two very nice touches, won some headers, and run himself into the ground until he was knackered after 75 minutes.

His two big moments were when he was twice played in on goal with a great chance to score the killer second.

On the second one he basically played for a penalty (I think it was one!) instead of driving in and having a shot - this may well be down to the lack of confidence that some are referring to.

With the first chance however he tried to pretty much flick the ball in with his right foot instead of hammering it with his left - that left me with the impression that he is one footed. I'm maybe wrong there but I have no idea why he favoured his right foot in that situation. 

13 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Had the chance last week to watch a re-run of the last Derby for the first time. I paid close attention to the performance of Clare.

He had one or two very nice touches, won some headers, and run himself into the ground until he was knackered after 75 minutes.

His two big moments were when he was twice played in on goal with a great chance to score the killer second.

On the second one he basically played for a penalty (I think it was one!) instead of driving in and having a shot - this may well be down to the lack of confidence that some are referring to.

With the first chance however he tried to pretty much flick the ball in with his right foot instead of hammering it with his left - that left me with the impression that he is one footed. I'm maybe wrong there but I have no idea why he favoured his right foot in that situation. 

Perhaps favouring his preferred foot is another sign of lacking confidence.

It takes confidence to try and score with the non dominant foot in such a high pressure situation.

I don't understand the "a few nice touches chat".  One or 2 nice touches in 90 minutes is garbage. In all honesty he won 2 very good headers which he put high up in the atmosphere and one fell to Naismith and one fell to Lee (the goal). In an Edinburgh derby he was put through twice with a few yards to spare and nothing materialised from either. The second could have been a penalty but I thought he played for it with slowing down and backing into Ambrose. The first was pitiful...to be through one on one and then hit the ball like the way he did that had the power, accuracy and ability of the weak foot of a 6 year old sums up a lot for me. I'm praying hoping he comes a player, and I will stand and hold my hands up if he does. However don't priase someone who thus far had done nothing and had only 4 shots (2 off target) in 12 games as a striker.

11 minutes ago, Bauld said:

It takes confidence to try and score with the non dominant foot in such a high pressure situation.

Maybe so - but with the huge reputation he came with I would have expected him to be two footed.

Harry Potter
28 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I might be wrong but it looks like he overthinks when hes within shooting distance , back in the day you just hit it when on goal.

Deffo a decent player .

Just now, Harry Potter said:

I might be wrong but it looks like he overthinks when hes within shooting distance , back in the day you just hit it when on goal.

Deffo a decent player .

To me it looks like his brain goes blank rather than overthinking it.

Trying to flick in in with his right foot against Hibs, and trying to pass to Djoume instead of shooting against Hamilton, does not suggest a 'thinking' player to me.

I'm hoping he becomes more that a decent player for us.

Gimme an H...
19 minutes ago, Bauld said:

This is an absolute pet hate of mine - taking a touch onto your 'stronger' foot when you should just lace it with your weaker foot when you're under pressure.

If your 'weaker' foot is good enough to take a touch with and tee your stronger foot up with, it's good enough to ping with.

When you're in the opposition box 9 times out of 10 you're going to get a tackle coming in, in that situation just swing your weaker leg at it!

There are some folk in the Hearts support who, point blank, are not prepared to give the boy the slightest leeway. 

Won’t factor in that he’s a young lad coming back from a serious injury, making his way in a new country with a new style of football. Just outright claim he’s shite. 

Thankfully there are are enough people who can see his potential to shout down the naysayers and keep looking at the positives. 

Harry Potter
7 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

To me it looks like his brain goes blank rather than overthinking it.

Trying to flick in in with his right foot against Hibs, and trying to pass to Djoume instead of shooting against Hamilton, does not suggest a 'thinking' player to me.

I'm hoping he becomes more that a decent player for us.

Hes still young Thomaso , hopefully with game time he will start scoring goals.

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

There are some folk in the Hearts support who, point blank, are not prepared to give the boy the slightest leeway. 

Won’t factor in that he’s a young lad coming back from a serious injury, making his way in a new country with a new style of football. Just outright claim he’s shite. 

Thankfully there are are enough people who can see his potential to shout down the naysayers and keep looking at the positives. 

Completely agree

the boy is definitely a player and I’m excited to see him get better

Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

Not sure if that's aimed at me Phil.  I have never claimed Clare is "shite" - I also acknowledge he needed time to adjust, although he has been training with us for 5 months and has now played in 12 games.

I am commenting on the clear chances he had to score at Easter Road, and against Hamilton, that give an indication to his "potential". In both cases he unfortunately fluffed his lines.

2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Hes still young Thomaso , hopefully with game time he will start scoring goals.

I do hope so - how much more game time do you think he needs?

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

I do hope so - how much more game time do you think he needs?

Thats the difficult question bud, will say this, when he gets a goal, more will follow.

Confidence being a factor i think.

132goals1958
8 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

This is an absolute pet hate of mine - taking a touch onto your 'stronger' foot when you should just lace it with your weaker foot when you're under pressure.

If your 'weaker' foot is good enough to take a touch with and tee your stronger foot up with, it's good enough to ping with.

When you're in the opposition box 9 times out of 10 you're going to get a tackle coming in, in that situation just swing your weaker leg at it!

Do what they did in the old days. A slipper on the strong foot -- a boot on the other. Soak an old leather ball in a pail of water until it is really heavy and then slam the ball against a wall repeatedly only using the weaker foot. 

Just now, Harry Potter said:

Thats the difficult question bud, will say this, when he gets a goal, more will follow.

Confidence being a factor i think.

He has been clear through on goal against Killie, Hamilton, and twice against Hibs...................hope that goal comes soon!

Clare’s pass to Djoum against Hamilton was the correct decision ffs. Just good defending to get back and intercept the pass. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

He has been clear through on goal against Killie, Hamilton, and twice against Hibs...................hope that goal comes soon!

And livi. 

He needs to just hit it next time, unlike yourself I do think he over e thinks it, trys cute little flicks and side foot, nice finishes. 

His pass v Hamilton should have left Djoum with a  an open goal. A sign of an aware player imo. Good defending there I thought. 

His Hibs chance that he flicked is one where I think he thought the keeper would rush out and dive at him so he decided he was flicking it over him, but the keeper stayed back and made him look an arse. 

Put your left foot through it, lad. 

Time to just pull the trigger, me thinks.

50/50 that way and best when confidence is low. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Harry Potter
10 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

That is where he needs to toe bash it lol, i know old school technique but the ball will move a lot faster.