Paolo

Do not subscribe to Eleven Sports, and don’t think I will, unless they had a smart TV app, but it seems they ignored the broadcasting ban on Saturday, and want it to end.   They have the backing of the Spanish League (who’s games they now broadcast).    

What I never knew, was, it is down to the individual football associations to decide if they want to enforce the ban, and only Scotland, England, and Montenegro do so. 

Will this ban be down away with eventually? 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-10/spanish-soccer-league-backs-channel-that-flouted-u-k-match-ban

Like most decisions the Scottish football authorities will follow England when they change...

England will change when they are confident that the finances of it work in the favour of the EPL.

I'm a subscriber, mainly for Serie A but La Liga games can be a fun watch too. Worth a paltry £5.99 IMO.

It's certainly likely the blackout will be lifted in time. I can't see it being a huge problem either way. I think the fairly recent BBC survey which showed clubs still make huge profit without attendances will just back that argument. 

In some respects, I don't understand why it applies to foreign leagues too though. I mean, how are league attendances in say Scotland, gonna be affected by a La Liga game on TV. I get El Classico draws the punters in but surely no one would actually shun seeing their team in person to watch a match on TV.

It’s shit compared to sky, I don’t even think the commentators are at games. Free though so not going to grumble that much. 

I might be wrong but didn’t Sky show el Classico at 3.15 with the first 15 mins not shown a couple of years back?  With the champions league tv ban lifted (sky show every single championship game simultaneously now) I don’t think the ban will last much longer considering tv means more to clubs than attendances these days down south.  It could further kill the Scottish game though. 

I've got it for Serie A primarily so can't comment on La Liga games that might have been shown. What I do know is that last Saturday, Eleven Sports showed the pre-game build up to the 5pm KO game and it cut to audio only, with a message saying they weren't allowed to show pictures until 5.15pm. They have done this for all 5pm Serie a games on a Saturday this season so I find it strange they would show La Liga during the same period.

Something doesn't add up here !  

Edited by Boab

10 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Buying foreign football I would guess is a single man's market?

Is the English Premiership not foreign in a football sense?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Is the English Premiership not foreign in a football sense?

I suppose it is but quite a few will have historically subscribed to Sky for a variety of programmes whereas this channel seems to be for a very specific audience 

13 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I suppose it is but quite a few will have historically subscribed to Sky for a variety of programmes whereas this channel seems to be for a very specific audience 

True, my parents get Sky Sports on Virgin in order to get tennis & golf. I spoke to Virgin the other day when getting their bill reduced, and tried to opt out of paying for football but it is an all or nothing package on Virgin...

I was left trying to explain to a couple of septagenarians that the efforts to avoid a Sky monopoly only made TV sport more expensive for the precise reason that if you want what Sky had a few years ago, you now need BT Sport and Eleven Sports too. A month ago my mum was upset that Sky had lost the US Open Tennis, so I gave her my Amazon Prime login but the coverage was so rubbish she lost interest after one match...

Sport on TV is a bloody expensive mess now, and will get worse with Facebook and Google (Youtube) getting involved too...

Edited by Spellczech

1 hour ago, Boab said:

I've got it for Serie A primarily so can't comment on La Liga games that might have been shown. What I do know is that last Saturday, Eleven Sports showed the pre-game build up to the 5pm KO game and it cut to audio only, with a message saying they weren't allowed to show pictures until 5.15pm. They have done this for all 5pm Serie a games on a Saturday this season so I find it strange they would show La Liga during the same period.

Something doesn't add up here !  

Maybe just to test the water

People are talking about it

26 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

True, my parents get Sky Sports on Virgin in order to get tennis & golf. I spoke to Virgin the other day when getting their bill reduced, and tried to opt out of paying for football but it is an all or nothing package on Virgin...

I was left trying to explain to a couple of septagenarians that the efforts to avoid a Sky monopoly only made TV sport more expensive for the precise reason that if you want what Sky had a few years ago, you now need BT Sport and Eleven Sports too. A month ago my mum was upset that Sky had lost the US Open Tennis, so I gave her my Amazon Prime login but the coverage was so rubbish she lost interest after one match...

Sport on TV is a bloody expensive mess now, and will get worse with Facebook and Google (Youtube) getting involved too...

Yep, it’s pish.  Same goes for the boxing on amazon and ITV ppv.  People moan about sky but guaranteed in a couple years time when it’s all over the shop the same people will wish it was still on Sky.  Why everyone doesn’t just gamble on IPTV though is beyond me. £10 a month for everything. 

Perth to Paisley

I have been more than happy with Eleven Sports _ I bougjt the annual pass for just short of £50.

I have Chromecast so I can beam it to my second tv without any issue.

I initially thought not having a dedicated tv channel would be an issue but the catch up facility allows me to pick up stuff I can't watch live.

I don't have score notifications turned so no problems with the coverage being behind live.

If the betting channels can show coverage from 5pm then it's not really an issue any more.

Like Boab I am a Serie A aficionado and a passionate avoider of the EPL!

Wife watches X_Factor I watch calcio... everybody's happy ?

• 4 weeks later...
Stewie Griffin
On 10/10/2018 at 23:53, Perth to Paisley said:

I have been more than happy with Eleven Sports _ I bougjt the annual pass for just short of £50.

I have Chromecast so I can beam it to my second tv without any issue.

I initially thought not having a dedicated tv channel would be an issue but the catch up facility allows me to pick up stuff I can't watch live.

I don't have score notifications turned so no problems with the coverage being behind live.

If the betting channels can show coverage from 5pm then it's not really an issue any more.

Like Boab I am a Serie A aficionado and a passionate avoider of the EPL!

Wife watches X_Factor I watch calcio... everybody's happy ?

I’m thinking of getting eleven sports as I miss watching La Liga however I’m only going to get it if it’s easy to stream onto a tv . Do you just use the app then put it onto your tv via chromcast ? Also is it possible to stream it to a smart tv without the need for a chromcast do you know ? . 

Thanks for any advice you can give 

5 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

I rate it . Got it initially for the uspga coverage and have kept it since for serie A . Not interested in la liga. 

Yip. Was unsure how it would be but if you need a Serie A fix, it's a given.

Do some good wee shorts at  half time. Good one on Maldini yesterday with James Horncastle.

Perth to Paisley
1 hour ago, Stewie Griffin said:

I’m thinking of getting eleven sports as I miss watching La Liga however I’m only going to get it if it’s easy to stream onto a tv . Do you just use the app then put it onto your tv via chromcast ? Also is it possible to stream it to a smart tv without the need for a chromcast do you know ? . 

I use the app on an old samsung phone (no sim) i then Chromecast it onto a 46" tv...Simple and good definition. ..It runs about 1 minute behind real time so turn off any score notifications you have. 

Buffering hasn't been a regular inconvenience ... really depends on your download speed.

I don't think they have yet sorted out the smart tv option.

For £50 it's been a bargain!

Enjoy.

Stewie Griffin
9 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

I use the app on an old samsung phone (no sim) i then Chromecast it onto a 46" tv...Simple and good definition. ..It runs about 1 minute behind real time so turn off any score notifications you have. 

Buffering hasn't been a regular inconvenience ... really depends on your download speed.

I don't think they have yet sorted out the smart tv option.

For £50 it's been a bargain!

Enjoy.

Thats great thanks for the reply / info 

I had it for a couple of months and cancelled, they then came back and offered a year for £39.99. Can't argue with that especially when you compare the amount of content to Sky or BTs exorbitant pricing structure. 

There was talk of them having it hosted on other platforms such as Sky, but this doesn't seem to have progressed any since the beginning of the season.

Eleven sports is definitely better than I expected. Paid about £50 for the year, if you have a tablet/smart phone and smart tv it's simple to cast to the tv and the picture is great. Improved their on demand stuff now too so it doesn't show you the result of the game you want to catch up on :lol:

Good value for money if you're into Spanish + Italian football. 

On 10/10/2018 at 22:20, Inch Hearts said:

Why everyone doesn’t just gamble on IPTV though is beyond me. £10 a month for everything. 

Probably because none of that £10 a month goes to the broadcasters so if nobody pays then nobody broadcasts!

Just getting the feed from a stadium onto the telly can cost tens of thousands not to mention the wages for the camera men, sound guys, producers and commentators,  if everyone goes iptv then there is no money for any of that so broadcasts would just stop and you’d be left with nothing to watch! And that’s without mentioning the cost of broadcast rights to begin with!

ah.......remember the days when people were out playing football, every park in town with people playing, now their all wedged into an arm chair. only games I watch are hearts, I'd rather be doing something shite than glued to a telly watchin fitba(which is at the best of times poor fare). time for all to turn their sets off more, go outside smell the fresh air, it's good for you.

7 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

ah.......remember the days when people were out playing football, every park in town with people playing, now their all wedged into an arm chair. only games I watch are hearts, I'd rather be doing something shite than glued to a telly watchin fitba(which is at the best of times poor fare). time for all to turn their sets off more, go outside smell the fresh air, it's good for you.

.....and that's the end of this week's Countryfile. See you next week when we talk about conkers !

8 minutes ago, Boab said:

.....and that's the end of this week's Countryfile. See you next week when we talk about conkers !

there will come a time when a large portion of the populace won't know what a conker is without countryfile explaining it, unless amazon delivers them.

2 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

there will come a time when a large portion of the populace won't know what a conker is without countryfile explaining it, unless amazon delivers them.

You're right, buddy. Pissing doon your leg a bit there. Way too much football on the box. It is what it is though. We'll never go back. All about money now. 

Stephane Grappelli
2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Eleven sports is definitely better than I expected. Paid about £50 for the year, if you have a tablet/smart phone and smart tv it's simple to cast to the tv and the picture is great. Improved their on demand stuff now too so it doesn't show you the result of the game you want to catch up on :lol:

Agreed.  Got Chromecast just in time for the clasico and raced home from Murrayfield to catch most of the game.  Wish I hadn't bothered...

Picture quality etc really good though.

Never Let Them Forget
2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I bought it when it first came out and I couldn’t cast it. Has it changed?

Stephane Grappelli
1 minute ago, Never Let Them Forget said:

Definitely works with Chromecast now.

Funny seeing Ryan Giggs saying he hasn't watched Gareth Bale this season because the games are no longer on Sky.

Eleven Sports have offered him a free trial. £49.99 too much obviously. 

1 hour ago, Never Let Them Forget said:

Yeah I was surprised when I opened it one day and had the option, didn't know if it was always there and I'd just missed it or if it was an upgrade. Definitely works well though. 

16 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Funny seeing Ryan Giggs saying he hasn't watched Gareth Bale this season because the games are no longer on Sky.

Maybe too busy 5h499in9 his brothers wife to watch La Liga?

Perth to Paisley

Eleven Sports free trial details

Subscribe using the code WALES for your first month of Eleven Sports FREE || bit.ly/WalesEleven

Offer open until midnight 6 November

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

:lol:

giggs is such a fraud

4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Maybe his mistress doesn’t subscribe.  

On 06/11/2018 at 09:01, Ribble said:

Probably because none of that £10 a month goes to the broadcasters so if nobody pays then nobody broadcasts!

Just getting the feed from a stadium onto the telly can cost tens of thousands not to mention the wages for the camera men, sound guys, producers and commentators,  if everyone goes iptv then there is no money for any of that so broadcasts would just stop and you’d be left with nothing to watch! And that’s without mentioning the cost of broadcast rights to begin with!

If that happened and nobody paid the broadcaster then it would go back to being half decent on sky or bt and more would pay again.  If sky or bt went bust I could live with going to games and them not spending billions down South and giving us a fiver. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, kila said:

I feel bad for people involved with Eleven Sports but without a presence on traditional set top boxes (or via newer terrestrial PPV services) it was always going to struggle.

it will be interesting to see what happens next with the various content deals. I’d suspect BT will want something to beef up their offering. La Liga fits the bill. 

On 05/11/2018 at 22:04, Stewie Griffin said:

If it's an LG TV you can use an app called MKIPTV without using Chromecast or a Fire Stick. IPTV provider required to watch Eleven Sports. 

9 hours ago, Mysterion said:

I feel bad for people involved with Eleven Sports but without a presence on traditional set top boxes (or via newer terrestrial PPV services) it was always going to struggle.

it will be interesting to see what happens next with the various content deals. I’d suspect BT will want something to beef up their offering. La Liga fits the bill. 

I would be surprised if BT went for it, Eleven Sports was born through BT moving away from sport so the BT Sport execs went their own way to create Eleven. It’ll either be Sky or someone like ITV/CH4 picking up the rights till the end of the season on the cheap while a new bidding process happens for seasons after that.

49 minutes ago, Ribble said:

I would be surprised if BT went for it, Eleven Sports was born through BT moving away from sport so the BT Sport execs went their own way to create Eleven. It’ll either be Sky or someone like ITV/CH4 picking up the rights till the end of the season on the cheap while a new bidding process happens for seasons after that.

It would be wrong to suggest BT has moved away from Sport. 

In the last 12months it has reigned things in significantly - the lower bids on rights is based on the value those rights can bring to BT as a brand. If there's not enough viewers, sponsors etc then it doesn't bid high. 

It's all to meet a business case plan that can show accountants that financial controls are in place (but results in haemorrhaging content). 

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

Eleven Sport actually won more content that SkySports had the rights to than BT Sport. La Liga and the Eredivise were both on Sky. BT only appear to have lost the Serie A. Would love one provider to just have a monopoly so only one subscription was required.

10 hours ago, iainmac said:

If it's an LG TV you can use an app called MKIPTV without using Chromecast or a Fire Stick. IPTV provider required to watch Eleven Sports. 

Would you be able to point me in the direction of some online instructions on how to do this? I’ve got Eleven Sports and just watch it on the MacBook but would rather get it on TV which is an LG one.

5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Eleven Sport actually won more content that SkySports had the rights to than BT Sport. La Liga and the Eredivise were both on Sky. BT only appear to have lost the Serie A. Would love one provider to just have a monopoly so only one subscription was required.

be careful what you wish for, because when one provider has a monopoly they can end up shafting you with the price