Stefano Salvatori

Skippy Doodle

Skippy Doodle

It has been nearly a year since Cup winning legend Stefano Salvatori passed away - I have been working on a little video which should be on youtube channel very shortly

What are your best memories of Stefano?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Wee plug for Ten Caats their SALVATORI hat and scarf are of the quality the great man deserves. 

Real unsung hero of the era

Skippy Doodle
13 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Wee plug for Ten Caats their SALVATORI hat and scarf are of the quality the great man deserves. 

Agreed ?

Sitting next to him on the grass with the late Tom Heaney after he had been subbed off in Metz in the pre-season friendly in 98 and offering him a beer. He wouldn't take one at first and kept looking over to see if Jim Jefferies was watching him. We eventually persuaded him to have a small one. Nice guy and a great player. 

GC

51 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Agreed 

wore it for the first time at the St Johnstone game on Saturday ?

stirlingshirejambo
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

hat sold out I think so just scarf available but great investment. 

I have hat and it is superb

Toxteth O'Grady

He was utterly dead on his feet at the end of the 98 final. He gave it his all. You can't ask any more from a player than that 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, TurboT said:

Agreed 

wore it for the first time at the St Johnstone game on Saturday ?

Had the scarf on for the last 2 matches. Hat yet to make its debut 

gordon simpson

had the honour to be at the 1998  cup winners dinner with his wife and the best man from their wedding  also  Stefano was one of the nicest folks you could ever meet 

EastSideJambo
3 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

He was utterly dead on his feet at the end of the 98 final. He gave it his all. You can't ask any more from a player than that 

He was magnificent that day. Excellent player who provided the basis for Fulton to play and for Cameron to get on his bike. That was a midfield trio to savour 

Governor Tarkin

First memory of Salvatori is in a pre match warm up. In my mind it's East End Park but it might not have been. A few of us looked at each other and said something along the lines of 'he holds himself like a proper footballer'. 

Salvatori was pinging the ball about their wee triangle like players from better teams did. Like when we played European teams at Tynecastle and we were always amazed at the control their players had over the ball compared to ours. Salvatori looked like we were about to come in to a bit of that too - and in hindsight, we certainly did. Last time I spoke to him was in the Goodies of all places. Top player and top bloke.

Top player, top bloke - still love Stefano for his attitude and skill - got a signed shirt with his name on it - we have to walk under it to get to the kitchen - will ALWAYS be a legend ;)

Perth to Paisley
10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Our current No. 5 reminds me of him a bit.

Agreed

I was a bit meh when both arrived ... Only difference is the goals ... but back on topic.

Salvatori was a fine player who gave his all for his family and our club and deserves huge respect.

RIP

... happy to say I cried when they played that video at Murrayfield.

Skippy Doodle
10 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

Really well done Skippy.  Hope some others come up with more material.

Cheers mate. Happy to take on requests for videos and GIFS if anyone has any. Still got shit loads of VHS to upload onto channel as well when I have time and intention is to do a weekly podcast but won’t be a review show as we already have that gap filled with two hearts podcasts now

more than likely I will go with a nostalgia based podcast moving forward

• 1 year later...
Gillian Salvatori

Great work Skippy.  The collection of game footage - really great to see.  Thanks for all of your kind words.  Kind regards, Gillian S.

Well done Skippy.  Fantastic.

I even loved the guy's name.

I look at that and wonder if we can beat Celtic this week.

Of course we bloody can.

Loved Stefano , shared a beer or two with him on many occasions .

Attended a game with him at East End Park, Stefano was being lined up to take over as manager so discretion was required. He sat for the whole game with note pad and pen assessing players and scribbling His thoughts  on each player. 
All the while signing dozens of autographs, posing for selfies and giving a speech post match in the hospitality suite about his love for Hearts. 
He never got the job... 🤔

Patted Stefan on the back as soon as he emerged from the Main Stand in 1998 after the cup final with thousands of others. I think he looked startled at how happy we all were.

One of the classiest cultured midfielders ever to grace our midfield. He had such an affinity with the support and vice versa 

seemed like a diamond of a human being into the bargain. He loved what we love 💕 

God rest your soul Stefano - you and 10 others gave me the best day of my life ever. Never forgotten and you are a real legend 4 ever more 

23 minutes ago, Meadows said:

Attended a game with him at East End Park, Stefano was being lined up to take over as manager so discretion was required. He sat for the whole game with note pad and pen assessing players and scribbling His thoughts  on each player. 
All the while signing dozens of autographs, posing for selfies and giving a speech post match in the hospitality suite about his love for Hearts. 

Must have been an honour being in that mans company and sharing a beer mate 👍

Carl Fredrickson

Was a player that we took to and he took to us. So much desire with tremendous fitness levels and talented too. Often ball winners are just thugs who cant play but not Stefano. A very tidy player who would walk into most teams today. 

I used to take my friends kids to games home and away and they would want to meet the players as they arrived at grounds. Stefano was always happy to spend time chatting and the kids have photos (the days before I had a camera phone) of them with one of their first Hearts heroes. 

RiP Stefano

Governor Tarkin
5 hours ago, Meadows said:

Had a few pints with him in the Goodies of all places! :lol:

4 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

One of the classiest cultured midfielders ever to grace our midfield. He had such an affinity with the support and vice versa 

seemed like a diamond of a human being into the bargain. He loved what we love 💕 

God rest your soul Stefano - you and 10 others gave me the best day of my life ever. Never forgotten and you are a real legend 4 ever more 

I remember that day well, and SS was simply outstanding, controlled the midfield with power and class. Oh for a reincarnation!

First player I ever seen away from a football ground, seen him at the entrance of next on princes street on his mobile phone around 97/98 . Proper star struck just staring at him I would have been around 12 at the time. Hearts legend. 

Edited by Irufushi

Loved him as a player, was years ahead of those around him.

Remember going to a shareholders meeting years after he stopped playing and he was the guest speaker, unbeknown to me.

Couldn’t get the grin off my face, was thrilled to get a photo with the great man. He had so much time for the fans.

RIP Salvo

Having problems uploading that tribute video. The file is too large it seems. It's quite a moving tribute if anyone here has it could they do it on my behalf as on my phone in work.

Thanks.

HHGH 

Remember him well. He could pick a pass as well and play forward passes through the lines, he wasn't just some win it and lay it off type. He was a quality player and was always available for his team mates, could take the ball under pressure and keep it. That Hearts Midfield was phenomenal, we'll never see that again, it was absolutely perfect in balance. I was at East End Park that day when Stefano smashed one in from outside the box, also remember it for someone launching a bottle of bevvy in Hugh Dallas's direction. A cup winning legend and an all round class act. Rest in peace. 🇱🇻 

Skippy Doodle
15 hours ago, Gillian Salvatori said:

Great work Skippy.  The collection of game footage - really great to see.  Thanks for all of your kind words.  Kind regards, Gillian S.

Not a problem. Still have a copy of Stefano playing for Milan in 1989 super cup final to forward on