West Edinburgh traffic

AngleParkMenace

13 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

For all of those car drivers whinging about traffic, you are part of the problem! l suggest you get out on your bicycles or walk or commute by bus or train. Appreciate not everyone can Do that. And before anyone greets about the weather, it's actually not that bad if you wear the correct clothing.

Building more roads or more lanes has been proven in the past that it does not the solve the problem and actually creates more traffic.

l speak as a cyclist and as a driver, cars should be used sparingly and be seen as a luxury rather than as a necessity (appreciate for some people it is a necessity - disabled, trade workers, taxi drivers etc.). I use a car  once a week to take my child home until she is old enough to go by bike.

My commute is 20 miles each way (leith to Livi) using public transport (which I done for 6.5 years before passing my driving test a few months ago) means leaving at 7.15 to be at my desk by 9 and getting home around 7/7.30 at a cost of 13/14 quid a day, driving cuts 2 hours a day off my commute and costs me roughly 25 quid a week in diesel, it's a no brainer unless there are major improvements to public transport and the costs associated to it.

14 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

For all of those car drivers whinging about traffic, you are part of the problem! l suggest you get out on your bicycles or walk or commute by bus or train. Appreciate not everyone can Do that. And before anyone greets about the weather, it's actually not that bad if you wear the correct clothing.

Building more roads or more lanes has been proven in the past that it does not the solve the problem and actually creates more traffic.

l speak as a cyclist and as a driver, cars should be used sparingly and be seen as a luxury rather than as a necessity (appreciate for some people it is a necessity - disabled, trade workers, taxi drivers etc.). I use a car  once a week to take my child home until she is old enough to go by bike.

If we had a decent train service I'd use it. We don't so I don't

5 hours ago, AngleParkMenace said:

If there was a park and ride before Newbridge I’d probably use that. Currently if I were to use the airport one I’d increase traffic on the roundabout 

The tramline is due to be extended to Newbridge - assume to a park and ride facility there. Not until 2030 though.

12 minutes ago, Dunks said:

The tramline is due to be extended to Newbridge - assume to a park and ride facility there. Not until 2030 though.

Rather than due to be extended, it's on a massive fantasyland wish list by ECC for 2030, also including trams to the ERI, a city centre circular bus route and pedestrianising half of the city centre, none of which has been costed

20 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Rather than due to be extended, it's on a massive fantasyland wish list by ECC for 2030, also including trams to the ERI, a city centre circular bus route and pedestrianising half of the city centre, none of which has been costed

It'll be paid for by the new city toll charge :D 

9 minutes ago, cheetah said:

More trams should help fill the pockets of Edinburgh councillors and not much else.

FTFY

Nicholas Brody
4 hours ago, Ribble said:

The fact that they even think they can get it done in 10 years with the previous farce as a reference point is laughable 😂

On 05/10/2018 at 12:56, Sexton Hardcastle said:

If people could drive properly the bypass wouldn’t be half as bad. Idiots who zoom forward to then hammer on the breaks and create a knock on affect behind them are utter morons. See it every morning/afternoon and sticking to the slow lane always sails quicker.

Also if hgv  vehicles could stay in the inside lane at the part with

the incline also it should have had three lanes

Edited by Hairdryer
Spelling error

Space Mackerel
47 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Also if hgv  vehicles could stay in the inside lane at the part with

the incline also it should have had three lanes

The problem is caused 2 fold, people tailgating on the Bypass AND people doing it on the slip road joining it.

At rush hours, I always sit in the inside lane and leave 50 yards between the vehicle in front as approaching the slip. guess what, dickheads have a horsepower competition up/down the slip road, slam on their brakes and you get about 5 or 6 all wanting to merge into the inside lane.

I

luckyBatistuta

Said it before, the answer to the city bypass is...

9F05454F-2343-46F1-B588-251794E5A6E5.jpeg

All traffic on on the top tier going the full length of the bypass with no off ramp, maybe an on/off for emergency vehicles. The bottom for any vehicles wishing to come on/off at any ramp on the length of the bypass.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Dave McCreery's knee

All the solutions put forward by CEC so far use up road space and channel everything through the city centre. Bike lanes, bus lanes, trams but should also include dedicated routes away from roads such as old railway lines. These are all required as part of the solution but there is no mention of more radical but popular transport systems from elsewhere in the world. Ferries from rosyth/kirkcaldy. Circular inner city train systems (Half the line and some stations already exists). Trains from most country towns and villages. 
there has to be a wide range of genuine options for people to get places - not just bus or limited trains. 
Would be great to see a european moped culture as well, get lots of commuter and short car journeys off the road. 

8 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

All traffic on on the top tier going the full length of the bypass with no off ramp, maybe an on/off for emergency vehicles. The bottom for any vehicles wishing to come on/off at any ramp on the length of the bypass.

Imagine the cost for that lol. lucky if we get the flyover at sheriffhall.

The Real Maroonblood
52 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Is the flyover still on the agenda?

9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

That looks like a solution for the population problem anyway. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
On 16/01/2020 at 22:42, Glottis said:

It's not as simple as that for everybody.

As somebody who has to take children here there and everywhere each day for childcare, school and clubs- a car is essential.

My 30 minute morning commute (including drop offs) would take about 3-4 hours via public transport.

Personally I try not to whinge about traffic but I do have a major problem with how traffic is managed in this city.

Developments get built and a have brand new set of lights next to another set of lights which creates unnecessary traffic is my pet peeve.

Thanks for your reply Glottis. Appreciate it's not practical for everybody. I think a lot of car journeys could easily be avoided if people took a bit more thought and effort into their commute. The number of cars on the road that have just 1 person in the car is ridiculous.

will-i-am-a-jambo
On 16/01/2020 at 23:09, Nicholas Brody said:

I decided to work a bit later in the hope it would die down but it was still an absolute nightmare by around 7pm. 

Sadly, not everyone works within walking/cycling distance. Cycling in Edinburgh looks absolutely rotten as well. Whilst I would also love to use public transport, it would require two busses, a train and a 20 minute walk for me. That's if I choose not to go to the gym in the morning as well. I used to bus it to broxburn every day many years ago and whilst the Lothian busses were fine, first busses were an absolute shambles. Prices rose every year and for four busses a day, was costing me well over £100 a month for a shoddy service. I could probably move closer to where I work, and have certainly thought about it, but moving away from my friends and family so I'm closer to work? **** That. Thankfully I'm able to work from home if needs be nowadays so it's not as bad.

Building all these shiny new houses on the outskirts whilst not building any infrastructure around them is going to continue to choke the major arteries to breaking point in the near future.

I believe the council will be introducing the workplace car park tax though so many people may start using public transport more frequently.

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it's not easy for a lot of people. I'm really referring to the people who live within the city limits who commute in by car. The bus service within the city is actually really good. I agree with your comment about providing proper infrastucture in place when building new homes etc.

will-i-am-a-jambo
23 hours ago, Ribble said:

My commute is 20 miles each way (leith to Livi) using public transport (which I done for 6.5 years before passing my driving test a few months ago) means leaving at 7.15 to be at my desk by 9 and getting home around 7/7.30 at a cost of 13/14 quid a day, driving cuts 2 hours a day off my commute and costs me roughly 25 quid a week in diesel, it's a no brainer unless there are major improvements to public transport and the costs associated to it.

Appreciate that, lm really referring to folk travelling in from within city limits. The bus service in Edinburgh is excellent but l agree there needs to be improvement and investment in public transport. If the government spent less money on roads and more on public transport, cycleways and pedestrian ways etc. it would vastly improve matters.

will-i-am-a-jambo
23 hours ago, Jeff said:

If we had a decent train service I'd use it. We don't so I don't

Fair enough, you need to campaign your local MP about the poor train service. If people put pressure on to the people that can make that happen then things will change. Doing nothing by whinging isn't going to solve matters.

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Surely can’t be more than the amount they’ve wasted on the tram and continue to

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Is the flyover still on the agenda?

Supposedly, but wouldn’t hold your breath. Couldn’t even get the park and ride there right, idiots.

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

That looks like a solution for the population problem anyway. 

:lol:

Nicholas Brody
42 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it's not easy for a lot of people. I'm really referring to the people who live within the city limits who commute in by car. The bus service within the city is actually really good. I agree with your comment about providing proper infrastucture in place when building new homes etc.

I completely agree. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
10 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

That would create even more traffic, not less. Building more roads/lanes has been proven time and again not to ease congestion. Building and improving public transport systems is a much better solution.

luckyBatistuta
11 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

That would create even more traffic, not less. Building more roads/lanes has been proven time and again not to ease congestion. Building and improving public transport systems is a much better solution.

So what’s your idea for building and improving public transport? We’ve alrready supposedly got one of the best bus services in the world. Folk just don’t want to give up their cars. I’ll give you my idea, i would raise the driving age to 21. This wouldn’t be popular with some, but would reduce the amount of cars, reduce the amount of rtc and would get the next generation in to the habit of using public transport and they might possibly not even bother buying a car at the end of it.

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

So what’s your idea for building and improving public transport? We’ve alrready supposedly got one of the best bus services in the world. Folk just don’t want to give up their cars. I’ll give you my idea, i would raise the driving age to 21. This wouldn’t be popular with some, but would reduce the amount of cars, reduce the amount of rtc and would get the next generation in to the habit of using public transport and they might possibly not even bother buying a car at the end of it.

Totally agree with you. Good idea on increasing the driving age. Can improve the bus services by adding bus stops or taking underused bus stops away, having more trackers at the bus stops etc., having more buses, utilising the south suburban railway has been mooted. I know it's unpopular but l actually like the trams and adding more services/lines etc is a good idea. My preference would actually be an underground railway but l don't know the practicalities/costs etc. Could also use trolley buses, would save having to dig up roads to add tram lines.

luckyBatistuta
11 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Totally agree with you. Good idea on increasing the driving age. Can improve the bus services by adding bus stops or taking underused bus stops away, having more trackers at the bus stops etc., having more buses, utilising the south suburban railway has been mooted. I know it's unpopular but l actually like the trams and adding more services/lines etc is a good idea. My preference would actually be an underground railway but l don't know the practicalities/costs etc. Could also use trolley buses, would save having to dig up roads to add tram lines.

You can’t add more buses, there’s already too many. The city centre is gridlocked because of them. You need to get cars off the road before you even think about that. I wouldn’t have wasted a penny on that tram. I would have spent a fraction of the money wasted on that,  on reopening all the railway stations around the city (there’s loads) thus enabling everyone in the city to benefit from it, not just a few who happen to live on the single route of the tram.

might be slow on answering your reply. I’m on holiday and about to go out for the day👍

Edited by luckyBatistuta

will-i-am-a-jambo
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You can’t add more buses, there’s already too many. The city centre is gridlocked because of them. You need to get cars off the road before you even think about that. I wouldn’t have wasted a penny on that tram. I would have spent a fraction of the money wasted on that,  on reopening all the railway stations around the city (there’s loads) thus enabling everyone in the city to benefit from it, not just a few who happen to live on the single route of the tram.

might be slow on answering your reply. I’m on holiday and about to go out for the day👍

Apologies l meant more buses for the city bypass in answer to solve the bypass congestion, as you say there are loads of buses in the city centre. Agree about re-opening the stations.

Enjoy your day out on holiday 👍

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Apologies l meant more buses for the city bypass in answer to solve the bypass congestion, as you say there are loads of buses in the city centre. Agree about re-opening the stations.

Enjoy your day out on holiday 👍

That could definitely work if implemented with a decent thought process, but it’s Edinburgh council.

Thanks mate👍

will-i-am-a-jambo
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

That could definitely work if implemented with a decent thought process, but it’s Edinburgh council.

Thanks mate👍

Lol yes the council could be a big flaw in the plan!

4 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Lol yes the council could be a big flaw in the plan!

council clowns that lot need sacked bunch o muppets.

Lack of planning ability is one of the biggest problems. Park and ride at Shawfair is a good example. It’s inside the city bypass so pretty much everyone that uses it is likely to have to negotiate Sheriffhall Roundabout to get there! 

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Lack of planning ability is one of the biggest problems. Park and ride at Shawfair is a good example. It’s inside the city bypass so pretty much everyone that uses it is likely to have to negotiate Sheriffhall Roundabout to get there! 

This is what I was getting at when I  said they couldn’t even get the park and ride right. It’s a total cock up. Everyone drives towards the city every morning, then sits for god knows how long trying to cross the sherrifhall roundabout to get to the park and ride, then at the end of the day they have to get off again and repeat the process trying to get over the congested sherifhall to get home. Absolute cockwombles and they get paid good money to come up with theses fiascos.

7 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

council clowns that lot need sacked bunch o muppets.

It does frustrate me the halfwits who vote in council elections based on national politics.  This is what you get - to make things worse the Tories got the most councillors yet Labour and the SNP shacked up to keep them out. 

These are the same two parties who have consistently failed Edinburgh on local issues such as the Trams, greenways, 20mph, anything anti-car possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Usually I'd get annoyed but today is different. Absolutely grim scenes on the bypass this afternoon. Hopefully the fella is ok but didn't look good at all