West Edinburgh traffic

AngleParkMenace

AngleParkMenace

Like many folk on here I commute by car into Edinburgh. During the many times I’m stuck I traffic I try figure out how I’d change it. Interested to get other opinions but here’s mine.

Close Barberton on-ramp at rush hour. 

Yellow box at last roundabout on Caulder Road to stop cars blocking roundabout trying to get onto Bypass 

Make M8 three lanes from Newbridge to Hermiston Gate in both directions 

Split the duel carriageway into two lanes, right one going straight ahead and left lane for exiting/entering on the M9 to Glasgow road, M9 onto M8 and Bypass onto Hermiston Gate. 

2 hours ago, AngleParkMenace said:

Like many folk on here I commute by car into Edinburgh. During the many times I’m stuck I traffic I try figure out how I’d change it. Interested to get other opinions but here’s mine.

Yellow box at last roundabout on Caulder Road to stop cars blocking roundabout trying to get onto Bypass 

Split the duel carriageway into two lanes, right one going straight ahead and left lane for exiting/entering on the M9 to Glasgow road, M9 onto M8 and Bypass onto Hermiston Gate. 

Or take a bus!

59963B50-697B-441E-AEFF-4C5B90A08465.jpeg

Edited by iantjambo

The Internet

Reckon I would genuinely have some kind of severe mental breakdown if I had to drive into or out of Edinburgh at rush hour every single day. And I went years getting the bus through town during the tramworks. Would rather go through that again than deal with the bypass every day. 

I come over from Fife most days.  It is what it is but not unduly a pain.

That said, coming ver Drumbrae at the back of eight in the morning is a nightmare, or can be, but once over, it's fine.

Going back in the evening is not bad.  Once on way to the bridge, home in 30 minutes.

Same travel time, more or less, than when I used to get a bus from Portobello to Craiglockhart.  Left Porty at 8, got to Craiglockhart at 9.

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, AngleParkMenace said:

The council would probably stick a camera covering it and send out fines. 

They do that in London I believe. I'm surprised our anti-car loons have not already adopted the practice! 

I was visiting family on Sunday in Barnton Park and some ****tards blocked the exit from Whitehouse Road onto the Barnton Junction.  They could have moved out into the bus lane but decided to ignore me and others blasting them with my car horn.

The standard of driving seems to be getting worse on the roads.  Getting undertaken by speeding cars on bus lanes, cars running red lights, cars jumping queues and trying to race you on amber, etc.  One tactic I've seen a couple of times in recent months is cars jumping queues and trying to force themselves in by edging into your lane to force you off the road.  It is no wonder that incidents of road rage are on the increase.

Carl Fredrickson
53 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I was visiting family on Sunday in Barnton Park and some ****tards blocked the exit from Whitehouse Road onto the Barnton Junction.  They could have moved out into the bus lane but decided to ignore me and others blasting them with my car horn.

The standard of driving seems to be getting worse on the roads.  Getting undertaken by speeding cars on bus lanes, cars running red lights, cars jumping queues and trying to race you on amber, etc.  One tactic I've seen a couple of times in recent months is cars jumping queues and trying to force themselves in by edging into your lane to force you off the road.  It is no wonder that incidents of road rage are on the increase.

I agree with this. I used to enjoy going drives after work - over to Fife, down to the Borders, down the East Lothian coast etc but not anymore. I used to love driving and wouldnt blink about helping anyone with lifts anywhere. Now it is a necessary thing to do to get from A to B. The standard of driving from a lot (not all!) drivers is awful and at least once a day on my commute I will see something that could cause an accident. 

I feel like a grumpy old man but there doesnt seem to be as much consideration for other road users as there once was. 

Space Mackerel

If everyone left a decent gap and allowed traffic to merge on the bypass then tailbacks would be kept to a minimum. I personally keep back about 30-40 yards

Same for joining at Baberton, far too often you see dickheads trying to race each other up the hill as if its some timed BHP challenge. Result, about 10 cars all trying to fit into a non existent space as most arseholes tailgate each other. 

The ‘bypass’ (inverted commas because it’s not, it’s a retail park distributor road) should be 3 lanes, maybe even 4 going up the hill from HG to Dreghorn.

Grade separate Sheriffhall.

When the M8 extension from Newbridge to HG was built it was designed - bridge clearances etc - to be easily converted to 3+3.  This needs done now.

New main road to the airport from the M8 & A8 - the current one is risible and surely a hazard if ever there was an emergency.

And my particular hated spot is that left turn onto the A8 from the roundabout at Newbridge after coming down the M9. Could they not put a wee slip road there or something?

I hated the commute. You'll either get caught at the bridge, Newbridge or hermiston gate. I found it less stressful dumping the car somewhere along Calder road and getting the bus. It maybe adds 10mims to your journey both ways but it's free parking and you don't need to hunt for a spot.

3fingersreid

Well you’re going to hate it more as yet a again there are roadworks at the Stenhouse drive/ Saughton road ,Broomhouse Drive crossroads ????

I am a regular on the bypass around 8am heading west. Always abysmal, especially between Lasswade and Dreghorn junctions, although I believe it's every bit as bad further east before Sheriffhall. I get the impression that trunk roads around Edinburgh weren't really built with future traffic growth in mind.

11 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Or take a bus!

59963B50-697B-441E-AEFF-4C5B90A08465.jpeg

As a bus driver i honestly don't know how people can travel on them every day. I spend 8 hours a day behind the wheel of one, last thing a would want to do is add nearly an other 3 hours on to my day being a passenger on one getting to and from work. 

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Wouldn't surprise me if that vermin wank David Begg had his grubby paws over the farce that is the bypass. 

Anyone remember him ? 

He fecked off to London and I recall he became a professor. 

Before his time thankfully or it would be worse if that's possible.

Whenever I'm down visiting I rarely take my car into town, hate driving in it. Remember last year when my dad was in the ERI, I absolutely hated leaving the hospital and meeting the start of the evening rush hour. Wasn't t bad when gong for evening visits though. 

EastSideJambo
2 hours ago, JALBO said:

I am a regular on the bypass around 8am heading west. Always abysmal, especially between Lasswade and Dreghorn junctions, although I believe it's every bit as bad further east before Sheriffhall. I get the impression that trunk roads around Edinburgh weren't really built with future traffic growth in mind.

Not sure where you're starting but I find heading for Dobbies then head towards Gilmerton taking a left to run parallel with bypass, ultimately getting out at Straiton before heading for Frogston Road is best option 

Bypass the Bypass in essence.  That in itself illustrates it's long since fit for purpose 

Harry Potter
14 hours ago, JALBO said:

The bypass should have been 3 lanes from the start, cost cutting does not work.

On 04/10/2018 at 07:41, davemclaren said:

People don't seem to know what a yellow box means anymore to be fsir. 

Correct or how to keep exits clear at a roundabout eg Gogar roundabout between about 4-6:30 pm most weekdays.

Shanks said no
On 04/10/2018 at 11:53, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Reckon I would genuinely have some kind of severe mental breakdown if I had to drive into or out of Edinburgh at rush hour every single day. And I went years getting the bus through town during the tramworks. Would rather go through that again than deal with the bypass every day. 

I drove Livi/Bathgate to Edinburgh city centre commute from 93 to 14 until I moved back to the Capital.

Soul destroying and mind numbing. 

Sexton Hardcastle

If people could drive properly the bypass wouldn’t be half as bad. Idiots who zoom forward to then hammer on the breaks and create a knock on affect behind them are utter morons. See it every morning/afternoon and sticking to the slow lane always sails quicker.

Francis Albert
On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:02, Seymour M Hersh said:

They do that in London I believe. I'm surprised our anti-car loons have not already adopted the practice! 

They do indeed but I think it is more a matter anti-idiot drivers who don't know what the yellow box is for and the rules associated with it.

Could do with some cameras at some of the roundabouts-come-racetracks around here too.

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I drove Livi/Bathgate to Edinburgh city centre commute from 93 to 14 until I moved back to the Capital.

Soul destroying and mind numbing. 

Ooft.   Couldnae handle that.  When I worked on the west side of Edinburgh, I used to drive in from Livi, but was able to take advantage of flexible hours so was able to get in before rush and home before rush at both ends of the day.  I now worlk in the city centre and it's the train for me all the way.  Wouldn't even contemplate coming into the city centre by car.  I had to get a bus a couple of weeks ago when the trains were unable to cope with the wind.  An hour and a half from Edinburgh to Livi.  Soul destroying.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

If people could drive properly the bypass wouldn’t be half as bad. Idiots who zoom forward to then hammer on the breaks and create a knock on affect behind them are utter morons. See it every morning/afternoon and sticking to the slow lane always sails quicker.

One of my pet hates too. People who think driving as fast as they can 3 feet behind the car in front (  and constantly switching lanes) will speed their journey on a crowded road. I commuted for may years halfway round the M25 and when they introduce variable speed limits congestion reduced quite dramatically because at first people obeyed them and traffic flowed at a steady 40 or 50mph without bunching and coming to a standstill at every junction. But now the limits seem not to be enforced and the traffic congestion is as bad if not worse than before despite additional lanes having been added.

Mind you it was ridiculous that the Edinburgh bypass was not built to (English) motorway standards with at least 3 lanes in each direction.

The thing is.....the West of Edinburgh is going to be unrecognizable in ten years time if all the developments happen and the airport continues to grow. Edinburgh Park South, Crosswinds, Garden District, Housing from Currie to Cammo on the green belt side and major roads to EDI. 

Corstorphine/Murrayfield will become inner city. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
9 minutes ago, pablo said:

The thing is.....the West of Edinburgh is going to be unrecognizable in ten years time if all the developments happen and the airport continues to grow. Edinburgh Park South, Crosswinds, Garden District, Housing from Currie to Cammo on the green belt side and major roads to EDI. 

Corstorphine/Murrayfield will become inner city. 

I would probably favour the city extending outwards towards Newbridge rather than building over the parks and open spaces nearer to the centre . However,  the plan has to be structured to include employment opportunities close to any new housing and reduce the need for people to travel into the inner city for work. 

• 1 year later...
On 04/10/2018 at 07:33, AngleParkMenace said:

Do we invest in roads though?

Carbon footprint in construction alone.

Can I ask if you could perform any proportion of your job at home?

On 05/10/2018 at 14:37, Francis Albert said:

Mind you it was ridiculous that the Edinburgh bypass was not built to (English) motorway standards with at least 3 lanes in each direction.

It's not a motorway and it isn't in england.

It was fine 40 years ago :D

Love watching the lane hoppers on the bypass ,By the time I get to Baberton the arseholes are usually behind me.Took me hour and a half to get to Hutchison from Tranent this morning but heyho I'm getting paid handsomely for sitting in traffic.

will-i-am-a-jambo

For all of those car drivers whinging about traffic, you are part of the problem! l suggest you get out on your bicycles or walk or commute by bus or train. Appreciate not everyone can Do that. And before anyone greets about the weather, it's actually not that bad if you wear the correct clothing.

Building more roads or more lanes has been proven in the past that it does not the solve the problem and actually creates more traffic.

l speak as a cyclist and as a driver, cars should be used sparingly and be seen as a luxury rather than as a necessity (appreciate for some people it is a necessity - disabled, trade workers, taxi drivers etc.). I use a car  once a week to take my child home until she is old enough to go by bike.

7 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

For all of those car drivers whinging about traffic, you are part of the problem! l suggest you get out on your bicycles or walk or commute by bus or train. Appreciate not everyone can Do that. And before anyone greets about the weather, it's actually not that bad if you wear the correct clothing.

Building more roads or more lanes has been proven in the past that it does not the solve the problem and actually creates more traffic.

l speak as a cyclist and as a driver, cars should be used sparingly and be seen as a luxury rather than as a necessity (appreciate for some people it is a necessity - disabled, trade workers, taxi drivers etc.). I use a car  once a week to take my child home until she is old enough to go by bike.

It's not as simple as that for everybody.

As somebody who has to take children here there and everywhere each day for childcare, school and clubs- a car is essential.

My 30 minute morning commute (including drop offs) would take about 3-4 hours via public transport.

Personally I try not to whinge about traffic but I do have a major problem with how traffic is managed in this city.

Developments get built and a have brand new set of lights next to another set of lights which creates unnecessary traffic is my pet peeve.

5 hours ago, Nicholas Brody said:

Looks good tonight....

It was absolutely mental.  I was on the Hermiston Gait roundabout for half an hour at about 6pm then another half an hour on the slip road going up to the roundabout at the start of Calder Road.

All in took me from 4:45 leaving Perth to 7:30 getting to Slateford.

49 minutes ago, systemx said:

Love watching the lane hoppers on the bypass ,By the time I get to Baberton the arseholes are usually behind me.Took me hour and a half to get to Hutchison from Tranent this morning but heyho I'm getting paid handsomely for sitting in traffic.

This.  Or else they’re helping to hold up traffic trying to squeeze back into the lane they’ve just left after getting a whole car ahead of where they were.

(Was going to post this in the “Seethe” thread.)

Nicholas Brody
3 minutes ago, FWJ said:

It was absolutely mental.  I was on the Hermiston Gait roundabout for half an hour at about 6pm then another half an hour on the slip road going up to the roundabout at the start of Calder Road.

All in took me from 4:45 leaving Perth to 7:30 getting to Slateford.

I decided to work a bit later in the hope it would die down but it was still an absolute nightmare by around 7pm. 

30 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Sadly, not everyone works within walking/cycling distance. Cycling in Edinburgh looks absolutely rotten as well. Whilst I would also love to use public transport, it would require two busses, a train and a 20 minute walk for me. That's if I choose not to go to the gym in the morning as well. I used to bus it to broxburn every day many years ago and whilst the Lothian busses were fine, first busses were an absolute shambles. Prices rose every year and for four busses a day, was costing me well over £100 a month for a shoddy service. I could probably move closer to where I work, and have certainly thought about it, but moving away from my friends and family so I'm closer to work? **** That. Thankfully I'm able to work from home if needs be nowadays so it's not as bad.

Building all these shiny new houses on the outskirts whilst not building any infrastructure around them is going to continue to choke the major arteries to breaking point in the near future.

I believe the council will be introducing the workplace car park tax though so many people may start using public transport more frequently.

5 hours ago, Nicholas Brody said:

Looks good tonight....

Bypass shut after Baberton. Nightmare for me getting home.

1 hour ago, systemx said:

There's a pretty obvious system to it. Inside lane if the next junction is an exit (likely that a few cars will exit leaving space for you to shoot up. Outside lane if cars are trying merge up ahead (inside lane has to slow to let cars in).

Smart driving.

On 04/10/2018 at 20:20, JALBO said:

I often go onto the bypass at Lasswade around about the same time as you.  Sometimes it's already nose to tail there, sometimes, if I'm lucky, I'm joining the end of the queue.  At least just now the bottleneck at Sheriffhall holds up the traffic heading towards Lasswade.  Once they take away the roundabout, the bypass. heading west, will probably be nose to tail the entire length to Dreghorn.

1 hour ago, Nicholas Brody said:

I decided to work a bit later in the hope it would die down but it was still an absolute nightmare by around 7pm. 

Sadly, not everyone works within walking/cycling distance. Cycling in Edinburgh looks absolutely rotten as well. Whilst I would also love to use public transport, it would require two busses, a train and a 20 minute walk for me. That's if I choose not to go to the gym in the morning as well. I used to bus it to broxburn every day many years ago and whilst the Lothian busses were fine, first busses were an absolute shambles. Prices rose every year and for four busses a day, was costing me well over £100 a month for a shoddy service. I could probably move closer to where I work, and have certainly thought about it, but moving away from my friends and family so I'm closer to work? **** That. Thankfully I'm able to work from home if needs be nowadays so it's not as bad.

Building all these shiny new houses on the outskirts whilst not building any infrastructure around them is going to continue to choke the major arteries to breaking point in the near future.

I believe the council will be introducing the workplace car park tax though so many people may start using public transport more frequently.

I’m not convinced that the car park tax will be make any difference other than give the council more money to piss up the wall. If it is roughly the same as the cost of a bus pass then what’s the point? The bus will take much longer for most commutes so for the same cost you will be as well taking the car and saving time. 

Edited by skinnybob72

Some radical thinking and bold decisions are required by the city council - its only going to get worse. 

Allot of of great suggestions so far on this thread - there is obviously no one single measure that can fix this where as a combination would be required and would take time most likely to see benefit. 

Rush hour rat racers you have my sympathies. 

Edited by Angry Haggis

There's not that much they can do when there's just literally too many cars and people for the area to handle. 

AngleParkMenace

If there was a park and ride before Newbridge I’d probably use that. Currently if I were to use the airport one I’d increase traffic on the roundabout 

18 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Never really have an issue heading East on the bypass in the morning. I'm on at 7.30 though.

I'm usually on it at 8:50 heading east from Sherrifhall to the A1. Never any queues apart from the other morning with an accident.

1 hour ago, heartsfc_fan said:

I'm usually on it at 8:50 heading east from Sherrifhall to the A1. Never any queues apart from the other morning with an accident.

I join at Baberton and usually there is slow moving traffic to merge with but as soon as you head up the hill it clears all the way along. Hardly ever anything at sherrifhall too.