The Manager Dilema

Flogel98

Could it be that our prefered option for manager was also in for the Scotland job so no decision from us until the Scotland job was sorted?

We all know it wouldn't be Tommy the T*** so Sooooooness, McGhee or maybe Billy Boy davis.

Only speculating but another poster on here mentioned McGhee.

Not sure I can see him leaving the taxi brigade for us and also heard on the radio that he might be in the frame for the Southampton job.

ToadKiller Dog

Would Mcgee not want to stay with well until summer(unless he got the green light from well and they got a good pay off) thats what he told the GFA ,dont think the saints would wait until then.

Why should we wait untill Scotland have decided who they want?

Billy davies ruled himself out of the Scotland job last week... so, thats a no go!

Mcghee said he will not leave Motherwell untill the summer, if given the Scotland job, do not see that changing if we aproached him.

Tommy Burns, as you said!

Souness...he just would not come.

I think it has more to do with Vlad not wanting to let go of the reigns.... what else can it be? I have a horrid feeling we will be left with Stevie Frail for the remainder of the season..... and the only way we will get anywhere is if he continues to make a pigs ear of it!!

Walter Bishop
Could it be that our prefered option for manager was also in for the Scotland job so no decision from us until the Scotland job was sorted?

We all know it wouldn't be Tommy the T*** so Sooooooness, McGhee or maybe Billy Boy davis.

Not sure I can see him leaving the taxi brigade for us and also heard on the radio that he might be in the frame for the Southampton job.

There will be no manager, open your eyes.

Darth Sidious

This is what I was hoping. Vlad and Ogilvie had their shortlist and needed to wait for Scotland to pick. Now they can approach the person. McGhee and Davies could still be tempted to Southampton, no idea why, so we may have to wait again.

If Vlad approached Davies or McGhee when they were openly tipped for Scotland the press would have had a field day.

Clock is ticking.....I wait......

The Old Tolbooth

The longer it goes on, the worse feeling I get that we're going to end up with another Rix (esque) type appointment on the cheap to try to appease the fans. I had absolutely no confidence in Vlad before January, however was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt for the month of January to get someone in place, but its looking grim.

My signature says it all for me really, no manager, no new players = NO HOPE!

I can't see why the delay in our appointment would in any way be connected with the Scotland or Southampton vacancies. The most plausible reasons I see are:

1. We want Davies but he needs to negotiate his pay-off from Derby first and doesn't want anything else to distract from this at present.

2. None of our preferred candidates are interested.

3. We have no idea who we want.

Take your pick.

The Puppeteer
Why should we wait untill Scotland have decided who they want?

Billy davies ruled himself out of the Scotland job last week... so, thats a no go!

Mcghee said he will not leave Motherwell untill the summer, if given the Scotland job, do not see that changing if we aproached him.

Tommy Burns, as you said!

Souness...he just would not come.

I think it has more to do with Vlad not wanting to let go of the reigns.... what else can it be? I have a horrid feeling we will be left with Stevie Frail for the remainder of the season..... and the only way we will get anywhere is if he continues to make a pigs ear of it!!

Why wouldn't Souness come? I'm not saying he would, just wondering your reasoning cause the guy seems pretty keen to get back into management to me. Also having worked on the continent a few times the Hearts setup probably wouldn't put him off as much as some people...

chester copperpot
now resigned myself to us never having a manager of any kind

Totally agree.

Was always sceptical about this message on the website about us casting our net.

The same spiel that happened after Burley was booted.

I will be very surprised if he gets anyone in before the end of the season.

Why wouldn't Souness come? I'm not saying he would, just wondering your reasoning cause the guy seems pretty keen to get back into management to me. Also having worked on the continent a few times the Hearts setup probably wouldn't put him off as much as some people...

I just think souness would not contemplate it for the simple reason that Vlad is the owner and has a habit of medling in all things hearts.

souness is a stright up guy, with a big love for all things Rangers and if he was comming back to scotland it would only be to manage Rangers imo

awadooningorgie2

I would hazard a guess that the CV's of several good candidates have been gathering dust on VR's desk in Lithuania for a couple of weeks now.

These candidates have no doubt been given assurances that things will be rosy, all will move fast without obstacles, that Campbell Ogilvie is the decision maker, only needs rubber stamped etc etc.

As the days turn into weeks however aforementioned candidates start to wonder what is happening. Then thinking something is not right. Then informing CO they do not wish to be considered as they realise the club is stuck in a mess of politics and red tape.

Info goes back to VR, he starts to question what is going on etc etc

And all the time 1st February is drawing closer.

I just think souness would not contemplate it for the simple reason that Vlad is the owner and has a habit of medling in all things hearts.

souness is a stright up guy, with a big love for all things Rangers and if he was comming back to scotland it would only be to manage Rangers imo

Souness is on record (many years ago) as saying he is a Jambo and always looked for our results. Many people may not know that he actually trained with Hearts when he was 15 when he was sent home from Middlesborough because he was homesick.

Fair play to you. That's one of the most optimistic posts of the week.

We won't get a manager.

VR (IMHO) doesn't intend on getting one of any serious stature.

Who or what type of club would publicly declare the "search is on" without having someone in mind to approach or having done some sort of sounding out?

That announcement was purely done to appease disgruntled fans. There is no strategy. There will be no serious appointment.

Flogel98, I wish I had you're optimism concerning VR.

I would love to agree with the OP but i think, and i reckon the majority also think this, that the only manager we're ever getting is Frail or another of VR's puppets.

I think that has always been the intention.

Yeh I used to indulge in this type of delusion.:wacko:

Facts are that Romanov is no where near appointing a Manager that is FIT FOR PURPOSE!

Only a week or so away from the transfer window closing and not a chance of any DESPERATELY REQUIRED new players coming in.

The whole think is frankly too depressing for words! :(

Campbell Ogilvie is responsible for advising Vlad who the next Hearts manager should be. I think we should trust him to deliver, after all he's done not too bad for Scotland I'd say.

I would assume that the Fed reps who were in Lithuania may have a clue as to what managers are on the short list, after all they haven't run to press shouting their mouths off that Vlad is all hot air now have they?

Can we not give CO and VR a chance before we shoot them down in flames?

I hoped it might have something to do with the Scotland appointment, but as with everything these days...you end up wondering if you're just clutching at straws. But I'm willing to wait and see...mainly cos I have no other choice. :rolleyes:

C'mon Vlad, don't let us down...we're having a really bloody rubbish time of it as it is...we don't need any further disappointments.

1. We want Davies but he needs to negotiate his pay-off from Derby first and doesn't want anything else to distract from this at present.

We may also find that Davies ends up as the next ROI manager.

Souness is on record (many years ago) as saying he is a Jambo and always looked for our results. Many people may not know that he actually trained with Hearts when he was 15 when he was sent home from Middlesborough because he was homesick.

He is also on record saying the only club in Scotland he would manage is Rangers... a lot has changed since he was 15 :)

There is no shortlist, surely thats become pretty clear by now? Frail will be there till the end of the season and we just have to get on with it

I hoped it might have something to do with the Scotland appointment, but as with everything these days...you end up wondering if you're just clutching at straws. But I'm willing to wait and see...mainly cos I have no other choice. :rolleyes:

C'mon Vlad, don't let us down...we're having a really bloody rubbish time of it as it is...we don't need any further disappointments.

You missed a word.

..........................................."again"

We may also find that Davies ends up as the next ROI manager.

Maybe, but if he does want to be an international manager, I'm surprised he pulled out of the race for his own country's job so early.

Campbell Ogilvie is responsible for advising Vlad who the next Hearts manager should be. I think we should trust him to deliver, after all he's done not too bad for Scotland I'd say.

I would assume that the Fed reps who were in Lithuania may have a clue as to what managers are on the short list, after all they haven't run to press shouting their mouths off that Vlad is all hot air now have they?

they have had years m8.... how much longer do you think is appropriate?

If there is anyone at all of any quality wanting to manage Hearts then CO should leak some information to the press.

Guest JamboRobbo

How long do they get? So far, it's 2 years and counting since we last had a manager worthy of the title.

The Puppeteer

Just as an aside there is nothing stopping us from appointing a manager after February the 1st is there? The transfer window only applies to players and whilst appointing a manager after that date would therefore mean he can't sign anyone till the end of the season it wouldn't prevent us from getting a manager in. People seem to be talking as if it's before the end of January or Frail till the end of the season...

How long do they get? So far, it's 2 years and counting since we last had a manager worthy of the title.

CO and VR have not been looking for a new manager since Burley left.

Are you saying that he was waiting to see if Burley got the Scotland job before he offered him back his job at Hearts?

Why would Vlad consider what Campbell Ogilvie says?

He has just delivered Scotland a manager who was hurting Hearts every day!

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Um.. why?

Maybe, but if he does want to be an international manager, I'm surprised he pulled out of the race for his own country's job so early.

Reading between the lines, I believe Davies was miffed by the SFA annoucing that they would go through a short-list and interview process.

According to Davies:

“My opinion is that they should decide whoever they want to do the job and give them it but don’t start interviewing people. Why should any of them agree to be interviewed? What are they going to learn from an interview they don’t already know?”

And further...

"My representative got a call from the SFA to say I was on the short-list, and then he took another call to say they wanted to speak to me about the job. We were informed they wanted to get me involved in the process, and it was then that we told them we would not be taking things any further."

They're just waiting to make sure Shaggy is not a shock Scotland appointment before we get him for the rest of the season......at least.

Reading between the lines, I believe Davies was miffed by the SFA annoucing that they would go through a short-list and interview process.

According to Davies:

?My opinion is that they should decide whoever they want to do the job and give them it but don?t start interviewing people. Why should any of them agree to be interviewed? What are they going to learn from an interview they don?t already know??

And further...

"My representative got a call from the SFA to say I was on the short-list, and then he took another call to say they wanted to speak to me about the job. We were informed they wanted to get me involved in the process, and it was then that we told them we would not be taking things any further."

I hadn't read those comments. Not too sure what to make of them to be honest. Maybe didn't relish the prospect of trying to sell himself.

As Lord BJ says, nothing to stop us appointing a manager after the first of Feb.

But there is also the issue of getitng in better players. In saying that, how many SPL teams have been active so far in the transfer window? There hasn't been that much movement, has there?

As Lord BJ says, nothing to stop us appointing a manager after the first of Feb.

But there is also the issue of getitng in better players. In saying that, how many SPL teams have been active so far in the transfer window? There hasn't been that much movement, has there?

How many teams are in the same position and us though Boris ? I would say just about all the spl teams are performing at their expected level or above. Those(if any) that are not do not have a penny to spend. We seem to have money, pay huge wages and are under performing and yet we sign no one. :rolleyes:

How many teams are in the same position and us though Boris ? I would say just about all the spl teams are performing at their expected level or above. Those(if any) that are not do not have a penny to spend. We seem to have money, pay huge wages and are under performing and yet we sign no one. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say we shouldn't be acting and I agree with what you say.

What I was trying to highlight is that there is still a week to go, not many sides have been that active in the window so far and if anything experience tells us that the last couple of days of the window is when most deals are done.

We are just more desperate than others and as such our nerves are frayed to say the least!

normally in the UK the mannager decides on signings, however Vlad is more closer to the continenetal style where owners etc deal with atht side of it.

tahts an anathema to most uk managers i would think, as they like to control of this as well (& given the propensity for bungs in the game creaming off ur 10% alledgedly.) ;)

a manager appointed after 31/01 would have work with the playwers we have but time is ticking.

the longer it goes without appointing someone, the more & more the fans will distrust vlad & if no one is appointed, then rightly all hell should break loose because this is a deal breaker imho, (forget the bollox about the other fibs like WC stars etc). they aint in the same league.

it would send out the totally wrong signal, i.e Vlad is NOT interessted in reliquishing control of team affairs.

we, the fans, then have to weigh up the long term consequences of this:-

1. vlad's picks finally gel & start winning, big style (unlikely)

2. vlad's picks get worse & we finish bottom six or last (possibility),

what of next season?

same old pesh about getting a manager & nothing happens.

the game begins again.

anyone got any sensible/practical answers to this?

none of the GTF vlad kind, that disnae work or maybe it will & we go out of business.

:mad::mad:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say we shouldn't be acting and I agree with what you say.

What I was trying to highlight is that there is still a week to go, not many sides have been that active in the window so far and if anything experience tells us that the last couple of days of the window is when most deals are done.

We are just more desperate than others and as such our nerves are frayed to say the least!

Got ya mate i agree with every word. Its going to be a long week. :wacko:

The real problems will come if none of the "preferred candidates" actually want to come to Hearts. Personally I find it very strange that there has been very little of substantiated rumour regarding who has or has not been approached regarding Hearts job. Little or nothing in any of the papers about anyone sending in the c.v.'s. To be honest I've got a gut feeling that we may well have Steven Frail announced as our new manager shortly. If that is the case nothing will have really changed.

The Puppeteer
Nothing to stop us appointing a manager after the 1st. I think the issue, which I agree with, is 1 month is more than enough time to appoint a manager.

Also add to the fact if serious is about handing control over to a manager. It would be prudent to at least give them an opportunity in the transfer window.

I think the time has come to draw a line in the sand. We have heard the stuff about looking for a manager ever since Rix left, yet have not appointed one.

I would tend to say 1st Febuary is probably a fair place to put the line in the sand. How long to we give him. Do we say, wait to the close season, then go through this mince again?

If Vlad is as good as his word there is no reason, why it should not all be done and dusted by the end of the month.

This is Hearts we?re talking about, there?s probably a list of reasons as long as my arm as to why it won?t happen by the end of the month!

But anyway, what happens once Vlad crosses this line in the sand?

meridian jambo

I personally agree with most of the posts that there will be no manager for the rest of the season, just Frail. But I also don't think there will be any announcement confirming this as it will be a massive let down..and negative spin from VR, I think it will be much the same as we have had i.e we have don't want to rush into the wrong appointment.

The only thing that will speed the process along, is if we get humped in the Semi, then start losing again in the league.

I think we will get good results and bad results, plod along to maybe 7th in the league.

:mad:

Charlie-Brown

Surely the appointment of any manager depends on the timescales or possible restrictions on the preferred / possible candidates - January 31st is just a psychological time-frame some fans have set - but in reality it's just an artificial deadline after which they will become more inclined to protest again.

Some examples of what I am talking about / candidates mentioned earlier in the thread - (I've not idea whether these are real candidates or not) but the same principles apply anyway....

Billy Davies: He can't / won't take another job until he settles his contract with Derby without affecting his payment which could be ??? Millions - this could take a few weeks or it could take several months depending how negotiations between Davies lawyers & Derby's lawyers proceed - Would you wait for him?

Mark McGhee - has said he is unwilling to leave Motherwell FC this season - would you wait until summer for him?

Craig Levein / Jim Jeffries - both are presently employed by SPL rivals and would require permission to speak to them & compensation to be agreed - Killie Chairman was particularly strong is his stance with Rangers over the Naismith transfer until he got the fee he wanted - he played hardball with Rangers right until the final minutes of the transfer deadline.....similarly Dundee Utd would be very keen & fight hard to keep Levein - if either of these managers was interested in coming back to Hearts then we are partly dependant on the co-operation of our rivals which may or may not be forthcoming - would you wait for JJ or CL?

The only managers that can be appointed in a quick time frame are those who are unemployed and with little or no strings attached..... John Collins, Gudjon Thordarson etc.

Who we end up with is anyones guess.

Surely the appointment of any manager depends on the timescales or possible restrictions on the preferred / possible candidates - January 31st is just a psychological time-frame some fans have set - but in reality it's just an artificial deadline after which they will become more inclined to protest again.

Some examples of what I am talking about / candidates mentioned earlier in the thread - (I've not idea whether these are real candidates or not) but the same principles apply anyway....

Billy Davies: He can't / won't take another job until he settles his contract with Derby without affecting his payment which could be ??? Millions - this could take a few weeks or it could take several months depending how negotiations between Davies lawyers & Derby's lawyers proceed - Would you wait for him?

Mark McGhee - has said he is unwilling to leave Motherwell FC this season - would you wait until summer for him?

Craig Levein / Jim Jeffries - both are presently employed by SPL rivals and would require permission to speak to them & compensation to be agreed - Killie Chairman was particularly strong is his stance with Rangers over the Naismith transfer until he got the fee he wanted - he played hardball with Rangers right until the final minutes of the transfer deadline.....similarly Dundee Utd would be very keen & fight hard to keep Levein - if either of these managers was interested in coming back to Hearts then we are partly dependant on the co-operation of our rivals which may or may not be forthcoming - would you wait for JJ or CL?

The only managers that can be appointed in a quick time frame are those who are unemployed and with little or no strings attached..... John Collins, Gudjon Thordarson etc.

Excuses excuses. Half the blooming premiership have had to replace managers this season not to mention both Scotland and England yet surprise surprise they did it efficiently and professionaly. Oh but wait, we do things differently at Hearts because we are run by a egomaniac who thinks he knows about football and is going to do it his way or no way. ****.

Frail or Sumus Randomauskas. Hardly rocket science

Archived