Hearts v Celtic semi - over 28,000 sold

jamdunc

I just want to play Celtic after a midweek euro game and we are fresh. I don’t care where. Worst scenario is where the date is changed and we both play midweek before the semi.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

2 hours ago, D4nny_ said:

Looking at it logically, I reckon it will be:

Hearts vs Celtic at Hampden

Rangers vs Aberdeen at Murrayfield

Only reason I come to that is that Celtic will claim they have an unfair advantage as we effectively made that our home for the start of last season and Celtic didn't play there.

Abderdeen & Rangers on the other hand have both played there.

Celtic have played 8 games at Hampden in past 2 years. Hearts have played 0

Celtic even have an end at Hampden 

lets not let them away with this advantage talk.

Hearts will play at Murrayfield or Easter Road (if SRU don’t allow it, however their business acumen ont turn down a potential £200,000 fee).

Police Scotland won’t allow 3 sets of fans converging on Haymarket, Waverley in the same day. Aberdeen v Rangers will be at Hampden, most likely 3pmish kick off - this will suit Aberdeen fans also

5 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Segregation for Murrayfield would probably mean 14,000 mhanks like the 'gers game in the league last season

Can't see them getting any more as stewards would have to line the stairways; too risky

Segregation is easily solved with tarpaulin over a few rows of seats. This is how they manage at West Ham and even the Roseburn. No need for stewards 

13 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The 2012 cup final wasn't held at Murrayfield. If minimal number of fans travelling was the criterion there could never be a clearer case for Murrayfield.

(Along with the 2006 semi.)

I'm sure it was Hibs who complained about Murrayfield in 2006, was it not ? We had played some Euro games there and they threw the toys oot the pram ?

Can't remember for certain but I do remember it kinda back-fired on them....a bit !!

The Old Tolbooth
3 minutes ago, Boab said:

I'm sure it was Hibs who complained about Murrayfield in 2006, was it not ? We had played some Euro games there and they threw the toys oot the pram ?

Can't remember for certain but I do remember it kinda back-fired on them....a bit !!

Tony Mowbray complained about the game possibly being held at Murrayfield because we had played Euro games there, and stated it would give us a big advantage, then we duly whipped them at Hampden to ram his words down his throat. 

I think we all we need to calm down with ‘Celtic can’t claim Murrayfield is a home game for us’ chat, because it’s evidently nonsense and I’ve not actually heard it being deployed by anyone. 

Edited by Toggie88

1 minute ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Tony Mowbray complained about the game possibly being held at Murrayfield because we had played Euro games there, and stated it would give us a big advantage, then we duly whipped them at Hampden to ram his words down his throat. 

He said he wanted Hibs to be able to impose their game "in the wide open spaces of Hampden". Thinking back he could have meant the wide open spaces in their stands.

AlphonseCapone
39 minutes ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Great wee town Wexford , been there a few times Mooneys was good for live music . 

Cheers for the shout :thumbsup:

16 minutes ago, Le Fifer said:

Police Scotland won’t allow 3 sets of fans converging on Haymarket, Waverley in the same day. Aberdeen v Rangers will be at Hampden, most likely 3pmish kick off - this will suit Aberdeen fans also

That makes sense taking that into account from the logistial perspective. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to let them away with the "advantage talk". It was purely a guestimation on what I had thought of at the time.

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, Toggie88 said:

There’s no danger they would move the game to Edinburgh and then give Celtic less than 25% of the ground. 

They would use use the same type of segregation every other club uses and can be seen in the Roseburn every other game. 

Its relatively straight forward to separate it for us and Celtic. Aberdeen and Rangers is a different issue because of coaches and fans arriving essentially from the same direction. 

Relatively being the operative word; they'll probably be given the north & if they sell more then the west too

We'll be given the South & East to begin with

There won't be a canvas barrier 

1 minute ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Relatively being the operative word; they'll probably be given the north & if they sell more then the west too

We'll be given the South & East to begin with

There won't be a canvas barrier 

You would need a barrier still. 

Like there was between the east and north at the Rangers and Aberdeen games. 

28BF546B-4BE0-4DF6-815A-6CC6DBAD9071.jpeg

Francis Albert
25 minutes ago, Boab said:

They did but I am not sure whether this was the decisive factor - I can't remember if the SFA ever accepted Murrayfield as a potential venue.

Anyway all's well that ends brilliantly!

26 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

I think we all we need to calm down with ‘Celtic can’t claim Murrayfield is a home game for us’ chat, because it’s evidently nonsense and I’ve not actually heard it being deployed by anyone. 

Dick Gordon said it on BBC Glasgow when discussing the draw with Alan biscuits Preston last night when we were driving home. Brenda  and the thumb said it was great to be going back to hampden. The interviewer pointed out to Brenda the issue caused by the Europa league games midweek which came as a surprise to him, given how thick the thumb is nobody corrected him.

39 minutes ago, Le Fifer said:

Celtic have played 8 games at Hampden in past 2 years. Hearts have played 0

Celtic even have an end at Hampden 

lets not let them away with this advantage talk.

Hearts will play at Murrayfield or Easter Road (if SRU don’t allow it, however their business acumen ont turn down a potential £200,000 fee).

Regardless of what individual teams or the SPFL think, the police will have a big say in the final decision

Ricardo Quaresma
15 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

You would need a barrier still. 

Like there was between the east and north at the Rangers and Aberdeen games. 

28BF546B-4BE0-4DF6-815A-6CC6DBAD9071.jpeg

Don't remember a barrier, just an empty section

The Old Tolbooth
33 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

He said he wanted Hibs to be able to impose their game "in the wide open spaces of Hampden". Thinking back he could have meant the wide open spaces in their stands.

Ha! That's right, I'd forgotten about that part, thanks for reminding me mate :D 

12 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Regardless of what individual teams or the SPFL think, the police will have a big say in the final decision

That’s what I think too, and if they do our game will be at Murrayfield 

They could postpone the Celtic v hearts game the following weekend and play it then

I can't imagine there is any way they can play both games on the Sunday, logistically and policing issues will cause to many issues 

15 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Dick Gordon said it on BBC Glasgow when discussing the draw with Alan biscuits Preston last night when we were driving home. Brenda  and the thumb said it was great to be going back to hampden. The interviewer pointed out to Brenda the issue caused by the Europa league games midweek which came as a surprise to him, given how thick the thumb is nobody corrected him.

We have played at Murrayfield a handful of times

Celtic played at Hampden for an entire season whilst their stadium was being re-built

THe entire basis for the "hearts advantage " chat is that it is in Edinburgh

whereas hampden is obviously not in the same city that Celtic come from, and they have never used Hampden as their home ground

2 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Does anybody know when the decision will be made?

The tossers will be talking to their old firm masters before they let Aberdeen & Hearts know what is happening.

Thought Police
5 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Does anybody know when the decision will be made?

Sky Sports said the SPFL will make an announcement in a few days

Just now, mitch41 said:

The tossers will be talking to their old firm masters before they let Aberdeen & Hearts know what is happening.

Agreed - had the BA website up all morning - Lhr to Edinburgh on one Screen, LHR to Glasgow on the other. So frustrating.

I bet they are only trying to work out what to do now, rather than having contingency plans in place beforehand.

...a bit disco

Understand SPFL will meet with all four Betfred Cup semi-finalists today to thrash out solution to their scheduling nightmare but Sunday, October 28, now likeliest date for both games. SPFL and SRU yet to comment/confirm on whether Murrayfield will be the venue

julienbrellier

looks like we will find out today.  this is something they need to sort out quickly I imagine as whatever way you look at it, it is going to require major logistical planning from Police scotland and coordination by various bodies involved

All roads lead to Gorgie
14 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

The tossers will probably have the rangers/ dons game played at Ibrox and our game a parkhead. 

46 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Remind me are the gate receipts shared for all teams semi and final? Cos if they are that would be great towards paying for our pitch.

Yes. receipts from both semis are pooled and split 4 ways.

...a bit disco

The SPFL is to speak with all four League Cup semi-finalists on Thursday as it looks to find a solution for its fixture conflict, STV understands.

The draw for the last four of the competition pits Celtic against Hearts and Rangers against Aberdeen with the semi-final ties scheduled for October 27/28.

However, Celtic and Rangers both have Europa League ties on the Thursday before the semi-finals, meaning whichever team was scheduled to play their League Cup match on the Saturday would have less than 48 hours rest.

A midweek card the following week makes it difficult for the tournament organisers to shift the dates, with one solution being to move a semifinal to Murrayfield so that both games could be played on October 28.

Any such arrangement would also need to suit broadcast rights-holder BT Sport.

After his team reached the last four with a 4-0 win over Ayr United, Rangers boss Steven Gerrard said that it would be unacceptable to ask either Celtic or Rangers to play their semi-final on the Saturday.

"Listen, whoever has to do that, it's not fair on any team, having played on the Thursday night," he said. "I'll be interested to see how they decide. All the best with that one. 

"We'll deal with that when we have to. I'm not sure how they will select who plays when or what the rules are. 

"Whoever has to do it, it won't be fair as 48 hours is not enough."

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1431341-spfl-to-speak-to-clubs-over-cup-semi-final-scheduling/

Thursday! Some lot.

8 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

The SPFL is to speak with all four League Cup semi-finalists on Thursday as it looks to find a solution for its fixture conflict, STV understands.

Isn’t Lawwell now in charge of the SPFL?  I can see them trying to get Murrayfield just to ram it down the necks of the SFA but I can’t see Celtic playing there because of him so Huns v Sheep Edinburgh us Tim’s Hampden 

5 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Isn’t Lawwell now in charge of the SPFL?  I can see them trying to get Murrayfield just to ram it down the necks of the SFA but I can’t see Celtic playing there because of him so Huns v Sheep Edinburgh us Tim’s Hampden 

I think you will be right, despite that scenario displacing 3 sets of fans as opposed to 2 if it was the other way round.

Hackney Hearts

Celtic have used Murrayfield for European qualifiers recently, so it's not like it's an alien venue to them. Hampden is far more of an advantage to them than Murrayfield is to us, obviously.

18 minutes ago, graygo said:

Yes. receipts from both semis are pooled and split 4 ways.

Gate receipts could mean around £500k to £600k for each club.

J Cheever Loophole
2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

They should play our tie in Wexford. 

* nothing to do with me being at a wedding their that weekend and missing this *

I lived there for 7 months, 20 years ago. Live music in most pubs.

I’m sure there’s a festival on around that time?

Crown Bar (my local)

The Undertakers

The Stores (Sunday mornings)

The holy hour lasts for 2 hrs, eh?

Back on topic, I can’t see them wanting thousands of us heading west and thousands of bluenoses heading east at roughly the same time.

It would be bedlam at Harthill services!

Murrayfield for our game I think.

23 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The tossers will probably have the rangers/ dons game played at Ibrox and our game a parkhead. 

?

4 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

I think you will be right, despite that scenario displacing 3 sets of fans as opposed to 2 if it was the other way round.

Yep, it’s the Scottish football way :) 

Just now, TheStig said:

Anyone got our record at Murrayfield for competitive games? I doubt very much that it's anything to shout about tho.

No mate,.............but it saves us all a trip to the dark side.

Not a great fan of Murrayfield, but I'll take anything that is more likely to disadvantage the opposition and the shower of tom kite that trundles around after them.

Sepp's Bladder
56 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

We have played at Murrayfield a handful of times

Celtic played at Hampden for an entire season whilst their stadium was being re-built

THe entire basis for the "hearts advantage " chat is that it is in Edinburgh

whereas hampden is obviously not in the same city that Celtic come from, and they have never used Hampden as their home ground

Celtic also used Murrayfield for euro matches a couple years back. In fact due to the massive overhaul to our team I wouldnt be surprised if more celtic players in the 11 have experience of playing at murrayfield than hearts.

Not even going to touch on the whole edinburgh gives hearts an unfair arguement as its possibly the poorest thought out arguement you'll ever hear.

Policing and travel indicate hearts v celtic should be at Murrayfield. 

1 minute ago, J Cheever Loophole said:

I lived there for 7 months, 20 years ago. Live music in most pubs.

I’m sure there’s a festival on around that time?

Crown Bar (my local)

The Undertakers

The Stores (Sunday mornings)

The holy hour lasts for 2 hrs, eh?

Back on topic, I can’t see them wanting thousands of us heading west and thousands of bluenoses heading east at roughly the same time.

It would be bedlam at Harthill services!

Murrayfield for our game I think.

One played at 12 the other at 3.  Celtic will never agree to playing in Edinburgh for the Semi and it’s Lawwels call unfortunately.

18 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Rangers and the sheep at Hampden and I bet we end up at Ipox.

No chance of Police Scotland having 100k footy fans in Glasgow that day

It has been obvious from the moment the QF draw was made / The OF made the group stages of the Europa League that there could be a problem with the scheduling of the LC SF.

Yet, now that the issue has come to fruition do those running the game have an answer? Of course not, it was a case of heads in the sand / fingers crossed that it doesn't come to both OF teams in opposite sides of the SF draw. 

It's amateur hour yet again with the powers that be that 'run' out game.