• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

Fozzyonthefence
15 minutes ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Typical SFA incompetence this should have been looked at ages ago what a shower of amateurs getting big bucks and doing feck all no wonder they laff at our game down south 

While your sentiments are correct, this fixture scheduling has got nothing to do with the SFA!

You could play Rangers v Aberdeen on the planned date and postpone our league tie against Celtic the following weekend and replace with the semi-final. We play Dundee as scheduled on the original semi-final date.

problem might be that Celtic are due to be at home in the league on the original semi weekend so that league match couldn’t be played due to the fact that they can’t be trusted to play in the same city on the same day...this would leave Celtic with two league ties to catch up on....

This also sounds like a bit of a sop to the SRU - hey have a game on us, after they used them to drive a hard bargain over Hampden.

I could understand if they don't have us play at Murrayfield because we've played 'home' games there last season and they don't want to give anyone 'home advantage', playing at a stadium over the road from their home stadium, but Celtic played Champions League games there a few years ago as well, so both teams have played home games at the stadium.

It would surely make more sense having the game involving the Edinburgh team played in the Edinburgh stadium, rather than having 3 lots of fans travelling to different cities, if you have Hearts play at Murrayfield, there's only 2 sets of fans, Celtic and Aberdeen that have to travel across the country to their games.

It won't be the end of the world if they send us to Hampden, Murrayfield is a better stadium and a lot less travel to get there but we'll take care of Celtic on any pitch.

52 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It would depend on the pricing I suppose but these are the 4 big guns of Scottish football, and attendences at Scottish games are on the up this year. Best pair of league cup semi finals in a long time imo. Maybe I’m just saying that because Hearts are in it in style! 

Aberdeen would bring 20,000 because of the convenience of the east coast and silverware starved Rangers 40,000+ I think. They brought 20,000 to murrayfield between them for just a couple of ordinary early season league games against a poor Hearts side, they have a big historic rivalry between them too. Hearts vs Celtic in a once in a lifetime 50-50 semi final at Murrayfield would sell out surely! 

I think either way if there’s a game at Murrayfield it will attract a very big crowd.

I think you are getting a bit carried away.

The 2012 SC semi final at Hampden produced a crowd of just 36k roughly 13k us and 23k Celtic. 

The Celtic fans don't give a shit about the LC they think it's beneath them unless they are playing The Rangers of course.

The Rangers fans will be up for the LC as they will see winning it as the first step to their rightful domination of Scottish Football so they would indeed bring a lot of fans to Murrayfield but 40k Rangers and 20K Aberdeen is unlikely imo.

While hampden was being renovated for the commonwealth games rangers played at least one semi at ibrox. Murrayfield would be great but wherever it is just happy to be through 

If it was our game v Celtic at Murrayfield we’d have double the Hearts fans than we would if the game was at Hampden.

Our crowds are great this season so we’d take 15k or so to Hampden.

I am fairly certain we’d take 28k to 30k if it was Murrayfield 

Why would any Hearts fans want to play a semi miles away when we could play it on our doorstep?

Its ****ing weird

Edited by Jammy T

3 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

You could play Rangers v Aberdeen on the planned date and postpone our league tie against Celtic the following weekend and replace with the semi-final. We play Dundee as scheduled on the original semi-final date.

problem might be that Celtic are due to be at home in the league on the original semi weekend so that league match couldn’t be played due to the fact that they can’t be trusted to play in the same city on the same day...this would leave Celtic with two league ties to catch up on....

Naw, the problem with that is that I'm away from 3rd to 10th November and already missing the home game v Kilmarnock and league game at Parkhead. I can take missing the league game against Celtic but would be gutted if it was the cup game.  :vangry:

Ricardo Quaresma

Segregation for Murrayfield would probably mean 14,000 mhanks like the 'gers game in the league last season

Can't see them getting any more as stewards would have to line the stairways; too risky

Only the final should be played at hampden. Both semi finals should be played at Tynecastle and Pittodrie. 

Edited by ri Alban

Seymour M Hersh
8 hours ago, hmfc1984 said:

How is hearts at murrayfield any different to a Glasgow team playing in Glasgow? 

Surely you must know by now!!! If you don't then send an email to the GFA asking them as they will have dozens of reasons why it would destroy football were it to happen. 

Seymour M Hersh
6 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

While your sentiments are correct, this fixture scheduling has got nothing to do with the SFA!

How? Did they not think that both their favourites might qualify for the Europa leagues and get to the LC semi-final? I didn't think they would (well sevco) with the former but given the draws that sevco get in cup comps now both in the semi was very possible and the GFA should have imagined the scenario and been prepared accordingly. 

Looking at it logically, I reckon it will be:

Hearts vs Celtic at Hampden

Rangers vs Aberdeen at Murrayfield

Only reason I come to that is that Celtic will claim they have an unfair advantage as we effectively made that our home for the start of last season and Celtic didn't play there.

Abderdeen & Rangers on the other hand have both played there.

6 hours ago, ericb said:

They will play both at hampden a week apart , they will just postpone the planned league game for that week 

This is what I’ve always thought they should’ve done in all the years they used to play League Cup Semis in midweek.

I never understood why they never just swapped the league fixtures of the teams involved?

Celtic played as many games at Hampden last season as Hearts did at Murrayfield.

Also Celtic used Hampden as their home for a year back in the 90s. That's an unfair advantage IMO.. .  

30 minutes ago, D4nny_ said:

Looking at it logically, I reckon it will be:

Hearts vs Celtic at Hampden

Rangers vs Aberdeen at Murrayfield

Only reason I come to that is that Celtic will claim they have an unfair advantage as we effectively made that our home for the start of last season and Celtic didn't play there.

Abderdeen & Rangers on the other hand have both played there.

Celtic played at Hampden for a whole season when Parkhead was being renovated so your point has little relevance. 

Celric Hearts is the obvious choice if one of the semi finals is to be moved . Makes far more sense on on safety grounds . I'm sure Police Scotland would agree . 

6 hours ago, Jammy T said:

If it was our game v Celtic at Murrayfield we’d have double the Hearts fans than we would if the game was at Hampden.

Our crowds are great this season so we’d take 15k or so to Hampden.

I am fairly certain we’d take 28k to 30k if it was Murrayfield 

Why would any Hearts fans want to play a semi miles away when we could play it on our doorstep?

Its ****ing weird

Spot on.  

Cant see Murrayfield being used. The Scottish beaks wont want to show the world that its a fabulous stadium for playing large football games. 

26 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Cant see Murrayfield being used. The Scottish beaks wont want to show the world that its a fabulous stadium for playing large football games. 

It isn't though.  Hampden being garbage doesn't make Murrayfield good for football

7 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

It isn't though.  Hampden being garbage doesn't make Murrayfield good for football

Regardless, a packed Murrayfield with all the benefits it has to offer would show up their recent decision for what it was. Corrupt mad Glasgow bias. 

I have no good memories from playing there last season. 

9 hours ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

I don’t want Murrayfield at all, will feel like an away game, guaranteed they’ll get more fans and it’ll be a shit show, Hamden would be equal fans and we’d give them an absolute roasting 

Hearts would have more fans at Murrayfield than they would at Hampden

Celtic have played at Hampden more often than we’ve played Murrayfield.

Regardless of our recent games at Murrayfield, it’s not our home stadium, it’s a neutral venue and tickets will be split according to a semi final. 

So no chance is Murrayfield like a home match for us. Not any more than a Hampden game is for Celtic.

Well the good news is that given there was a very high chance this situation was likely to have happened, as a competent organisation the SPFL will have a contingency plan in place and agreed with all parties, and we will hear the confirmed times and locations asap. Won't we.....

1 hour ago, ramrod said:

Celtic played at Hampden for a whole season when Parkhead was being renovated so your point has little relevance. 

Celric Hearts is the obvious choice if one of the semi finals is to be moved . Makes far more sense on on safety grounds . I'm sure Police Scotland would agree . 

I disagree given that was 24 years ago or so. Time will tell what the powers at be decide to do. 

Perosnally I’m not bothered where we play.

1 hour ago, Daveandal said:

Celtic played as many games at Hampden last season as Hearts did at Murrayfield.

Also Celtic used Hampden as their home for a year back in the 90s. That's an unfair advantage IMO.. .  

1 hour ago, ramrod said:

Absolutely correct. Not only did Celtic play the whole of 1994/95 at Hampden, they also won the Scottish Cup there (despite many questioning the fairness) due to the technicality of their Hampden contract having ended on the Tuesday prior to the final. 

They played all their previous “neutral” games away from Hampden, including their infamous loss to Raith Rovers in the LC Final. Airdrie on the other hand, were well and truly f**ked over by the beaks so don’t rule out Hearts taking a seriously senseless shafting here.

1 minute ago, D4nny_ said:

I disagree given that was 24 years ago or so. Time will tell what the powers at be decide to do. 

Perosnally I’m not bothered where we play.

I remember when H1b5 cited a couple of European games that none of the current squad had played in as a reason for not playing a semi at murrayfield. Was just as relevant. 

A competent organisation would have discussed, and planned, in advance for such a scenario. The League administrators must have expected both Celtic and Rangers to get through, you would think. After that, are they hoping they get drawn together? The obvious answer is to have the Hearts tie at Murrayfield, but it must be agonising for them after turning down Murrayfield recently, in favour of persisting with Hampden.

The one time they are hoping that the uglies get drawn together before the final, and it doesn't happen. Where's these numpties, who messed up the draws in past years, when they need them? Then they could have just kept doing it until they did get drawn together.

Moving current dates for other fixtures will cause unnecessary disruption to other clubs, and, potentially, give Celtic a better week than having to travel to Leipzig, for what should be an intense game.

Maybe Scotland should follow the German system of no neutral venue until the final. If you get drawn out first, you are at home. Problem solved.

AlphonseCapone
9 hours ago, milky_26 said:

if i was the sru i would tell the sfa/spfl to ram it about using murrayfield due to the way they messed about during the bidding process

I get what you are saying but for the SRU it's business. It was business when they put in a bid and lost, and it will be business when deciding to host this. Can't see them saying no to the cash. 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Only the final should be played at hampden. Both semi finals should be played at Tynecastle and Pittodrie. 

First halves at Tynecastle, second halves at Pittodrie? Sounds like a plan.

4 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Segregation for Murrayfield would probably mean 14,000 mhanks like the 'gers game in the league last season

Can't see them getting any more as stewards would have to line the stairways; too risky

There’s no danger they would move the game to Edinburgh and then give Celtic less than 25% of the ground. 

They would use use the same type of segregation every other club uses and can be seen in the Roseburn every other game. 

Its relatively straight forward to separate it for us and Celtic. Aberdeen and Rangers is a different issue because of coaches and fans arriving essentially from the same direction. 

Geoff the Mince
29 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

They should play our tie in Wexford. 

* nothing to do with me being at a wedding their that weekend and missing this *

Great wee town Wexford , been there a few times Mooneys was good for live music . 

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

The police are bound to have a say on this. They will want the minimal number of fans travelling so I wouldn't rule out us playing at Murrayfield.

The 2012 cup final wasn't held at Murrayfield. If minimal number of fans travelling was the criterion there could never be a clearer case for Murrayfield.

(Along with the 2006 semi.)

13 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

The police are bound to have a say on this. They will want the minimal number of fans travelling so I wouldn't rule out us playing at Murrayfield.

But now that the police are centralised they may rule out having the two games on the same day anyway, think the SFA are going to have a nightmare to schedule this 

If the powers that be had any sense they would have fixed it so we played Dons on the Saturday and the other 2 play at Hampden on the Sunday!

They can always play our game at Parkhead and tell us to pretend its neutral :)

3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

How? Did they not think that both their favourites might qualify for the Europa leagues and get to the LC semi-final? I didn't think they would (well sevco) with the former but given the draws that sevco get in cup comps now both in the semi was very possible and the GFA should have imagined the scenario and been prepared accordingly. 

I think you are missing the point, this tournament has diddly squat to do with the SFA/GFA it is run by the SPFL.