Hearts v Celtic semi - over 28,000 sold

jamdunc

mulleted_jambo
4 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

On what basis do you say that?

Past semis of the league cup. I just can’t see it. Would be delighted to be proved wrong though. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

This is what Brendan Rodgers had to say about Hampden last year...

“If you’re talking access, comfort, the view of the game, there are many things about Hampden that are not good.”

“It’s not ideal and I don’t know the real story behind the investment and how it was reformed. You always think about the supporters and I hear enough people saying it’s not very good. I’m the lucky one really that gets to stand at the side of the pitch. I always wonder about how much the people behind the goal really see.”

I know Murrayfield which looks a proper, well thought-out stadium”

Celtic had a chance last week to comment on the experience of fans but chose instead to make a joke at the expense of another club. Given that the Celtic manager believes Murrayfield is better for the fans and Celtic made no comment in support of difficulties facing fans last week then this latest request can only be based on a sense of sporting advantage. Aberdeen and Hearts were not fighting for sporting advantage, it was about the experience for fans primarily. 

13 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

And if they so happen to decide we’re heading to Hampden we’ll just have to accept it I suppose.

Absolutely no issue with going to Hampden at a ko time that is fitting for a cup semi final.

52 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Our objections are completely reasonable, and widely accepted. 

Celtic not being happy with a neutral venue because it’s not the neutral venue in their home City is an absolutely ridiculous, baseless objection. Pandering to that should make everyone distinctly uncomfortable. 

:spoton:

8 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

This is the only decent reason anyone has given for the games to be played at the venue we want. But given that thousands of Celtic and Rangers supporters come from all over the country it probably doesn’t make a huge amount of difference logistically.

Lawell is only doing for his club what many on here demanded on Thursday and that was for our club to find a better option for us. Celtic will want to play at Murrayfield about as much as we wanted to play at Hampden so of course they’re going to chance their arm.

We had no complaints about playing at Hampden.

The complaint was about playing at Hampden on a Sunday night with a 7.45 KO.

Meaning that a large portion of our support would be unable to attend due to the problems obtaining public transport home.

There was also the well documented safety issues which the Police Federation rather forcibly pointed out.

If Hampden with a daytime KO turns out to be the best decision then so be it.

You either haven't been paying attention to what's been going on or you are being deliberately 

contrary imo.

Hackney Hearts
14 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

But given that thousands of Celtic and Rangers supporters come from all over the country it probably doesn’t make a huge amount of difference logistically.

So what does it matter if these hordes have to travel to Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Celtic will want to play at Murrayfield about as much as we wanted to play at Hampden so of course they’re going to chance their arm.

We had no problem with playing at Hampden originally (Levein said he was happy to play wherever). The issue was with the time, and the game preceding it.

What's Celtic's aversion to Murrayfield? A genuine one? Any problems with impossible logistics or dangers to public safety? 

SectionDJambo

Craig Levein said during his destruction of Doncaster and chums, that Hearts would be happy to play at Hampden the following weekend, if our league match was postponed.

So, from that, it seems that the team are ready to play them anywhere. The issue is having a sensible kick off time to enable us to have a good backing and give kids, the fans of tomorrow, the chance to be at a semi final. That’s all he asked for, so whatever plans these clowns manage to conjure up now, let’s just get stuck into them on the day.

If we take the geographical base of all 4 clubs, it would seem to make more sense having just 2 travelling out with their home city, rather than 3. For that reason, the  police will probably recommend Murrayfield for our tie.

Hackney Hearts

The two semi-final games have got their work cut out to match anything like the drama of the scheduling epic.

2 minutes ago, Crete said:

Why don’t they toss a coin to see who wins the cup and put an end to this nonsense Doncaster has created.

Rangers only through coins

EastSideJambo
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

12 noon at Murrayfield please!!!

Would be nice wouldn't it. Beat them and leave their ***** of a captain in the hospital after one of our lads dishes out what the ***** has been needing for years 

Sit back and wait to see which of the other pair fancy taking us on in the final 

EastSideJambo
3 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Craig Levein said during his destruction of Doncaster and chums, that Hearts would be happy to play at Hampden the following weekend, if our league match was postponed.

So, from that, it seems that the team are ready to play them anywhere. The issue is having a sensible kick off time to enable us to have a good backing and give kids, the fans of tomorrow, the chance to be at a semi final. That’s all he asked for, so whatever plans these clowns manage to conjure up now, let’s just get stuck into them on the day.

If we take the geographical base of all 4 clubs, it would seem to make more sense having just 2 travelling out with their home city, rather than 3. For that reason, the  police will probably recommend Murrayfield for our tie.

Good post.  Nail on the head 

18 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

This is the only decent reason anyone has given for the games to be played at the venue we want. But given that thousands of Celtic and Rangers supporters come from all over the country it probably doesn’t make a huge amount of difference logistically.

Lawell is only doing for his club what many on here demanded on Thursday and that was for our club to find a better option for us. Celtic will want to play at Murrayfield about as much as we wanted to play at Hampden so of course they’re going to chance their arm.

I don’t think he (Lawell) is...the debate was never about venue, it was date (two on one day) and kick off time. If a solution could be found for a date and time at Hampden then our club has no solid argument other than just the age old grumble about having to go to Glasgow in general. A suitably sized, accessible stadium with a reasonable kick off time does not require a better option. Only this afternoon a Celtic player spoke at length about travel being part of the fan experience, clearly his board do not agree.

49 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

If it does go to a toss of a coin and we go to Hampden, can we have a toss of the coin for the kick off time, the referee and what end we can get?

Now there's a thing that's bugged me over the years.

Why do the OF get their preferred ends of Hampden no matter who they are playing.

This Rangers end Celtic end thing at Hampden is another example of the preferences of those teams being adhered to.

The Mount Florida end is much better for facilities than the East Stand so the next time we or anyone else plays The Rangers there should be a draw for deciding ends of the stadium the fans have. 

luckyBatistuta
11 minutes ago, Crete said:

Why don’t they toss a coin to see who wins the cup and put an end to this nonsense Doncaster has created.

Yet another conundrum, never going to get that done in time...do you realise how many tossers they have?

So far, the principal sources for the pressure on the SPFL to change the venue (in rough chronological order):

The fans of both Hearts and Aberdeen

The Aberdeen press release

Our press release

Craig's comments

Tom English's article

The joint campaign by the Evening News and Evening Express

The Police Federation

Certain MPs and the matter being raised in the Scottish parliament

(others? - please feel free to add)

Those who appear to have said nothing or who have argued for the original decision (or at least until pressure was put on them):

Celtic, including Rogers

Rangers, including Gerrard

SPFL

SFA

Police Scotland (but good on them for changing their minds)

Various "Let Them Eat Cake" TV football pundits, exc. noticeably Michael Stewart

I can't decide where the Rangers and Celtic fans fit into this, but the ones that may have been protesting certainly haven't been particularly vocal.

This whole episode is certainly shining a spotlight on the divide in Scottish football and who is on each side of that divide.

Edited by redjambo

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I can't decide where the Rangers and Celtic fans fit into this, but the ones that may have been protesting certainly haven't been particularly vocal.

Being based in a Glasgow office the general moods have been utter delight from the Rangers support as getting it up Aberdeen and Celtic get sloppy seconds at Hampden. They couldn’t care less about us...

Some frustration from Celtic fans mainly to do with late finish on a Sunday night but not too big a deal in general.

Both sides reaching fury point as the possible change of heart trickled in late this afternoon.

My half sister

The police decided that it would have been safer to have the Rangers play Aberdeen first when it was both games at Hampden.

So rather than tossing coins, why not let them decide the venues for each game now based on safety

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Now there's a thing that's bugged me over the years.

Why do the OF get their preferred ends of Hampden no matter who they are playing.

This Rangers end Celtic end thing at Hampden is another example of the preferences of those teams being adhered to.

The Mount Florida end is much better for facilities than the East Stand so the next time we or anyone else plays The Rangers there should be a draw for deciding ends of the stadium the fans have. 

I take strong exception to that.  You've wound me up worse that Doncaster.  Our neutral national stadium, the crown jewel in our footballing empire, has a Rangers end and a Celtic end?

I can't believe it.  Tell me you're joking.  When we thrashed our great friends in 2006 and 2012, dont tell me we were in the Rangers end.  I know we were in the same end both times.

If Luckydug made that up he needs to apologise.  That's truly outrageous.

34 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I take strong exception to that.  You've wound me up worse that Doncaster.  Our neutral national stadium, the crown jewel in our footballing empire, has a Rangers end and a Celtic end?

I can't believe it.  Tell me you're joking.  When we thrashed our great friends in 2006 and 2012, dont tell me we were in the Rangers end.  I know we were in the same end both times.

If Luckydug made that up he needs to apologise.  That's truly outrageous.

You're joking right?

22 minutes ago, JyTees said:

You're joking right?

No.  I'm feeling very foolish though.  I can remember joking in the past about the rangers end or the Celtic end but it absolutely never dawned on me that it was the case.

Do Rangers and us get allocated the same end every time.  I know I've seen the rangers support in that end.

On reflection, do Man Utd or Chelsea or Spurs always get allocated the same sections of Wembley?  Maybe this isn't as bad as I first thought but it's news to me if true that our authorities officially sanction ends at hampden.  Do we have an end.  Are we always at the same end no matter who were playing?  Thinking back to games 50 or more years ago we were in that same end then.  League Cup final against Killie.  SC final against Dunfetmline.  Semis against Morton.

Just struck me as symbolic of extraordinary bias in favour of two clubs that they would have their own ends of our national stadium.

10 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Do Rangers and us get allocated the same end every time.  I know I've seen the rangers support in that end.

Absolutely, unless we're playing Rangers. ? Same goes for Timothy and their Lochend reserves.

12 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Just struck me as symbolic of extraordinary bias in favour of two clubs that they would have their own ends of our national stadium.

Just one tiny ripple on the surface of an ocean of extraordinary bias that blights the Scottish game.

Lanarkshire referees. Now there's a subject to get your teeth into!

9 hours ago, henry said:

Hearts need to get the ticketing right or we’re going to look silly. We never sold out Easter Rd for semi final of league cup in 2014. 11k Hearts fans at that game. I want to see 30k Hearts fans at this game but that’s 3x what we done for Inverness. The ticket distribution is key to getting Hearts fans there in large numbers. 

What do we have, 13,000 ST holders? With 20 points for an ST I think something like 20 points gets you 3 tickets. Potential uptake of 39,000 but obviously we'd never actually shift that many since most of the people who want to go would already have enough points. Would mean people who wanted to take kids/grandparents/spouses who didn't have an account could do it.

Not sure it the system allows it (it probably doesn't), but there could maybe be different tiers, 20 points gets you 3 tickets, 5/10 points gets you 1 ticket. Pretty much everyone who has been to a couple of games recently is covered.

Edited by JamboJen

Bridge of Djoum
On 01/10/2018 at 20:14, Jammy T said:

What the **** is the difference between the Police Federation and the Police?

How can one of them say the decision is a load of pish and the other day it’s all fine and dandy?

As I understand it, the federation is essentially the coppers union.

Bridge of Djoum
11 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

It was actually 7 clubs. Try and guess them all.

Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen Celtic, TTFKAR...

Kilmarnock and Ayr United.

Bridge of Djoum
6 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Well.....

This raises a whole new issue. Celtic are actually well within their rights to ask for this tbh. Just because the game is in Edinburgh and it suits us doesn’t mean it should happen.

If we’re demanding fairness and openness I suppose we’ll just need to take our chances in the draw for the stadium.....and pray luck is on our side.

Over to you @colinmaroon

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

No.  I'm feeling very foolish though.  I can remember joking in the past about the rangers end or the Celtic end but it absolutely never dawned on me that it was the case.

On reflection, do Man Utd or Chelsea or Spurs always get allocated the same sections of Wembley?  Maybe this isn't as bad as I first thought but it's news to me if true that our authorities officially sanction ends at hampden.  Do we have an end.  Are we always at the same end no matter who were playing?  Thinking back to games 50 or more years ago we were in that same end then.  League Cup final against Killie.  SC final against Dunfetmline.  Semis against Morton.

Think of it more as keeping familiarity of your surroundings.

Whether you like it or not, the ugly unwashed take part in more finals.

Their fans know the route they need to take, where to park and how best to avoid ending up in an area where there rivals will be.

If you hark back to the 70's and before. Rangers end was a covered terrace and Celtic's was open. I could imagine that there was feelings of favoritism then.

8 hours ago, Dave_Mackay said:

Hearts v Celtic being drawn first, should be played at Hampden on Saturday the 27th, and Rangers Aberdeen on Sunday 28th at Hampden, so it’s the Saturday game which has caused the problem, and has to be moved, not Rangers v Aberdeen who are at Hampden on the day they should, having been drawn as the 2nd game. Therefore Hearts are having to play on Sunday to accommodate Celtic, and as Hampden is not available, they have to play elsewhere, (Murrayfield) why should the other teams have a draw to see where they should play. If Celtic don't agree, they should just play on the original dates.

About the best post I've seen on this.

If the ties must be played on that weekend - Celtic 'should' have two options here.

1 - Play on the Saturday regardless of the euro tie.

2 - Play at murrayfield on the sunday.

Its as simple as that.

grumpy rebus
7 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Exactly, the only reason it's a Sunday is to accommodate Celtic. Give them the choice Saturday at Hampden or Sunday at Murrayfield.

You have nailed it. But I’ve got a third alternative. Just tell them to **** off and play in Dublin (and their twin in Belfast). Make Scotland a far better place. 

Hearts v Celtic being drawn first, should be played at Hampden on Saturday the 27th, and Rangers Aberdeen on Sunday 28th at Hampden, so it’s the Saturday game which has caused the problem, and has to be moved, not Rangers v Aberdeen who are at Hampden on the day they should, having been drawn as the 2nd game. Therefore Hearts are having to play on Sunday to accommodate Celtic, and as Hampden is not available, they have to play elsewhere, (Murrayfield) why should the other teams have a draw to see where they should play. If Celtic don't agree, they should just play on the original dates.

This 100%?

CornhillHearts
12 minutes ago, grumpy rebus said:

You have nailed it. But I’ve got a third alternative. Just tell them to **** off and play in Dublin (and their twin in Belfast). Make Scotland a far better place. 

Just make it after this game! 

Spfl could show further innovation: 

“We’ve taken into account the fans attending the game and In order to make it easier for those travelling and to grow the game elsewhere tv deals, etc we’ve decided to take the game to the Aviva.....”

Alex Kintner
7 hours ago, Zico said:

If Lawell can extract Doncaster’s tongue for a minute 

I’m sure DH will happilly “fill the gap” 

Shanks said no
27 minutes ago, Erik said:

About the best post I've seen on this.

If the ties must be played on that weekend - Celtic 'should' have two options here.

1 - Play on the Saturday regardless of the euro tie.

2 - Play at murrayfield on the sunday.

Its as simple as that.

Exactly, also worth remembering that playing on the Sunday disadvantages us for the derby.

Home advantage, they say? The players are used to playing at Murrayfield, they say?

Here's the list of current Hearts players (available for the semi) who have played at Murrayfield:

Souttar

Smith

Hughes (unlikely to play)

Djoum

Cochrane (unlikely to play)

NOW, here's the Celtic players who have played at Murrayfield:

Lustig

Grffiths

Izaguirre

Bitton

McGregor

Forrest

So... who REALLY has the advantage?!

:conspiracy:

Auldreidy1874

Now that there is a climbdown from the SPFL, Forth 1 quote ex ugly sister player Gordon Smith as if he's been behind the opposition all along. Time to take these ****s to the back field.

Edited by Auldreidy1874
Grammar

EastSideJambo
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Their fans know the route they need to take, where to park and how best to avoid ending up in an area where there rivals will be.

If you hark back to the 70's and before. Rangers end was a covered terrace and Celtic's was open. I could imagine that there was feelings of favoritism then.

I don't think Celtic fans have ever felt downtrodden and persecuted 

This is spot on. Hope you don’t mind but I’ve just used this argument on Twitter with a Celtic fan who is slightly perturbed at the possibility of our tie being at Murrayfield! They really do think the world of Scottish football revolves around them! 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Rangers paid to have the West terrace covered. £20,000 back in the day. Celtic never for the East terrace.

Barry 'set in stone' Anderson confirmed to be a clueless plum who knows no more than the rest of us.

Doncaster shown up as a bare face liar.

Timothy ragin.

Hearts potentially hosting Celtic at our recent 'home from home', Murrayfield.

Sorry to those who might have already made travel plans for Hampden, but this is a quite glorious development on a number of levels.

Shanks said no
19 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Rangers paid to have the West terrace covered. £20,000 back in the day. Celtic never for the East terrace.

Never knew that John, is it the same covering or was it replaced when they upgraded :rofl:the stadium?

36 minutes ago, Tenor said:

Home advantage, they say? The players are used to playing at Murrayfield, they say?

Here's the list of current Hearts players (available for the semi) who have played at Murrayfield:

Souttar

Smith

Hughes (unlikely to play)

Djoum

Cochrane (unlikely to play)

NOW, here's the Celtic players who have played at Murrayfield:

Lustig

Grffiths

Izaguirre

Bitton

McGregor

Forrest

So... who REALLY has the advantage?!

:conspiracy:

Craig Gordon

Ryan Christie

John Findlay
28 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Never knew that John, is it the same covering or was it replaced when they upgraded :rofl:the stadium?

Replaced.

the jambo poet

we have played more than couple of semis at Easter road (Motherwell, St. Johnstone and Caley). Hibs have played at Tynecastle.  Both deemed neutral venues. Fair? Possibly not. An advantage? Possibly, but going by results I think we've lost more than we've won at Easter road. The point is I can't recall any side making a song and dance of the venue. Celtic can have no complaints here.

With Celtic now being awkward about the venue, perhaps the SPFL should resort to playing both games at Hampden, but now insist the our game go ahead at 3pm on the Saturday. Getting fed up of that lot trying to dictate terms to all and sundry.

41 minutes ago, Erik said:

Barry 'set in stone' Anderson confirmed to be a clueless plum who knows no more than the rest of us.

That tweet reminded me of the one when he smugly told us that Tziolis was going to be a massive success for us. 

8 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Behave. We were happy going to Hampden at a sensible KO time without 4 sets of fans being there. Celtic are not happy with the same situation at Murrayfield.