How Would You Vote in IndyRef2?

Highlander

6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

See the post above for evidence. Cultists etc...

Scotland is skint etc, it’s too wee, haggis vouchers for currency, Krankie etc etc etc. I barely look on social media these days cos I’m drained reading the same stuff. It’s why I don’t get involved on these threads hardly anymore either cos after a few pages i feel the life draining out of me too. 

No danger these people would put a cross in any box EVER for the SNP. 

They wouldn't. But 99% of the voting public may. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• frankblack

• Boris

• JamboX2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
9 hours ago, Class of 75 said:

What assets? 

I might as well join the queue- what debt?

jack D and coke

So if Scotland was to separate from the rUK we’d be receiving absolutely zero assets just a shitload of debt? 

:lol: 

Just now, jack D and coke said:

So if Scotland was to separate from the rUK we’d be receiving absolutely zero assets just a shitload of debt? 

Related image

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, Boris said:

Related image

When you add in the fact we’ll only have Haggis vouchers or gless cheques to pay them back too we certainly are Boris mate?

15 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

When you add in the fact we’ll only have Haggis vouchers or gless cheques to pay them back too we certainly are Boris mate?

Ha!  It's shite like that that really annoys me.  I'm with you when you say you try to steer clear of these debates because they tend to go round in circles.  Not to say that there isn't reasoned debate from both sides, but a lot of the patter, of which both sides are guilty, is horrendous.

Which is a shame.  Unfortunately when I see that stuff I tend to bite far more than I should.

Brighton Jambo

This is all a bit of a wasted debate as all the Tory leadership candidates are going to run on the promise of blocking a second referendum, a couple have explicitly said as much today/yesterday.

There wont be another Scottish referendum until after the 2021 Scottish election assuming the Greens and SNP can maintain a pro indy majority in Holyrood.   Even then the UK government could just keep saying no given, as witnessed with Catalonia, an election that isn't legally sanctioned would be a disaster for the SNP cause. 

31 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

This is all a bit of a wasted debate as all the Tory leadership candidates are going to run on the promise of blocking a second referendum, a couple have explicitly said as much today/yesterday.

There wont be another Scottish referendum until after the 2021 Scottish election assuming the Greens and SNP can maintain a pro indy majority in Holyrood.   Even then the UK government could just keep saying no given, as witnessed with Catalonia, an election that isn't legally sanctioned would be a disaster for the SNP cause. 

or the SNP are winding up to the next GE and standing on an independence platform?  Win the majority of seats and so declare independence, as was the tactic prior to Holyrood?

jack D and coke
46 minutes ago, Boris said:

or the SNP are winding up to the next GE and standing on an independence platform?  Win the majority of seats and so declare independence, as was the tactic prior to Holyrood?

Oooft :lol: 

We could use unionist tears as the currency after that. There would be trillions of them!!

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Boris said:

I not sure they could do that legally, I don't think Sturgeon would do anything that would risk 'independence' being seen as not being legitimate.  There is a lot of sympathy for Scotland in Europe is my judgement but that would disappear view quickly if they tried to use inappropriate means to declare themselves free of the UK.  Too many some countries have similar local issues.

3 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I not sure they could do that legally, I don't think Sturgeon would do anything that would risk 'independence' being seen as not being legitimate.  There is a lot of sympathy for Scotland in Europe is my judgement but that would disappear view quickly if they tried to use inappropriate means to declare themselves free of the UK.  Too many some countries have similar local issues.

Is that an inappropriate method though, given it was legitimate previously?

And if Westminster refuses to countenance a referendum, despite Holyrood voting for one, why  not?  

Just now, Boris said:

Is that an inappropriate method though, given it was legitimate previously?

And if Westminster refuses to countenance a referendum, despite Holyrood voting for one, why  not?  

I think it would result in a Catalonia situation. No one will recognise it as it would be said to be against the constitutional position, which here would be said to be a mutually consented to referendum.

So you'd have a legitimacy issue internationally. And if you're not recognised as sovereign you won't be treated as a sovereign state. 

3 minutes ago, JamboX2 said:

I think it would result in a Catalonia situation. No one will recognise it as it would be said to be against the constitutional position, which here would be said to be a mutually consented to referendum.

So you'd have a legitimacy issue internationally. And if you're not recognised as sovereign you won't be treated as a sovereign state. 

Fair enough - which then begs the question regards how fit for purpose the current constitutional position is.

If Holyrood pass an act wishing to hold a referendum, what right have Westminster to deny it?  Morally, I'd say none.

You could have a scenario where independence parties have a hefty majority at Holyrood.  They pass a bill for a referendum on independence, but the UK government refuses to allow it.  That in itself is an affront to democracy.

12 minutes ago, Boris said:

Fair enough - which then begs the question regards how fit for purpose the current constitutional position is.

If Holyrood pass an act wishing to hold a referendum, what right have Westminster to deny it?  Morally, I'd say none.

You could have a scenario where independence parties have a hefty majority at Holyrood.  They pass a bill for a referendum on independence, but the UK government refuses to allow it.  That in itself is an affront to democracy.

Two mandates applying against each other like Spain. Fwiw i think it'll eventually be agreed to. But SNP MPs may be asked to back an exit deal to get it at a mutually agreed date.

5 minutes ago, JamboX2 said:

Two mandates applying against each other like Spain. Fwiw i think it'll eventually be agreed to. But SNP MPs may be asked to back an exit deal to get it at a mutually agreed date.

I'm not sure the SNP would agree to that.

Roxy Hearts
5 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Oooft :lol: 

We could use unionist tears as the currency after that. There would be trillions of them!!

That would be tremendous. 

4 hours ago, Boris said:

I'm not sure the SNP would agree to that.

Brexit for Indy?

Might be the price.

Class of 75
2 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

Brexit for Indy?

Might be the price.

Not a good compromise. I wouldn't give you lot an inch. 

Edited by Class of 75

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Class of 75 said:

I wouldn’t worry, no Prime minister, from either major party is going to grant a Scotland a second referendum so no need to compromise.  

Cruyff Turn

And I thought this was a Hearts supporters forum. What ever your politics people have risked their lives for the flag. How can you be a Hearts supporter considering our history and come out with a comment like that? 

:rofl:aye ok then. 

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Class of 75 said:

And I thought this was a Hearts supporters forum. What ever your politics people have risked their lives for the flag. How can you be a Hearts supporter considering our history and come out with a comment like that? 

Because he has little respect for the union that the flag represents?

You lot?

Roxy Hearts
28 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I think it's the Empire thing rather than 2 world wars. The British Empire was one of the most brutal and there were Scots who were part of it. 

Roxy Hearts
23 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'd piss on the union jack, but for what it represents in an unfair union. 

The thing is, our relationship with England is great for both of us in so many ways, I'd hate to lose the majority of it - I just don't like the way it works just now with Scotland as the bitch. 

So I'd merrily piss on it to display my contempt for the arrangement, it's nothing to do with wars or empires for me. Having said that, my grandad was in the German army during the second world war, it could just be in the genes. 

I think it's time for a new relationship. The union isn't working for Scotland. We are being diminished bit by bit and a lot of our own can't see it. We are more or less becoming a region. Sad state of affairs. 

Class of 75
10 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I wouldn’t worry, no Prime minister, from either major party is going to grant a Scotland a second referendum so no need to compromise.  

Hopefully. No British PM should bow to any pressure for either a second referendum or half baked ideas of UDI

Class of 75
9 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

:rofl:aye ok then. 

Not really a laughing matter. Comments like that are more akin to certain other teams and their supporters. Makes me laugh really as we all have a good go at them on here yet some have the same political beliefs. 

Class of 75
9 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

You lot?

Sorry, I wasn't sure what side of the fence you were on. 

Class of 75
9 hours ago, Smithee said:

Yes. The flag is symbolic. I appreciate that everyone has different political beliefs but burning the Union Flag has certain negative connotations and is in my opinion going too far and is disrespectful to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. By the same token what happens on Remembrance weekend with those who hate the flag? Do they respect the flag then? 

Class of 75
9 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

I think it's the Empire thing rather than 2 world wars. The British Empire was one of the most brutal and there were Scots who were part of it. 

They are one and the same. The 2 world wars involved the Empire which us Scots did quite well out of. 

25 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

They are one and the same. The 2 world wars involved the Empire which us Scots did quite well out of. 

Yet you vote brexit.

10 minutes ago, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

I can’t wait to see wee nippys face after she loses indyref 2 

:rofl:

Edited by ri Alban

28 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Yes. The flag is symbolic. I appreciate that everyone has different political beliefs but burning the Union Flag has certain negative connotations and is in my opinion going too far and is disrespectful to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. By the same token what happens on Remembrance weekend with those who hate the flag? Do they respect the flag then? 

Shite doesnae burn.

AlphonseCapone
23 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

It's unbelievable that folk try to argue this. I see a  poster completely ignored the point despite at least 3 posters asking him. That to me suggests he knows the argument is flawed and he is simply a zealot.

12 hours ago, Class of 75 said:

1) Football clubs have zero relevance to this debate so it does not matter a jot what forum this is. Don't start using our club's very important and proud history on a politics thread because you disagree with someone's view on the Union flag or anything else. It's quite frankly disgusting. 

2) People didn't risk their lives for a flag. They risked their lives for their family, friends and country. A flag represents a lot of things to a lot of people. The Union flag has nothing but negative connotations to me for a variety of reasons that I can get into if you want, but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate 100% the people that fought and gave their lives defending all the countries and people of this island. If the UK faced an existential threat tomorrow, I'd defend it despite my feelings on the union flag. 

53 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Sorry, I wasn't sure what side of the fence you were on. 

That sums up your attitude imo. Everyone needs to be on one side or the other. And depending on that depends on how you treat them.

Will you finally acknowledge what has been put to you by many posters now that you've ignored; that Scotland either gets both debts and assets from the split with the UK or neither

Edited by AlphonseCapone

Nobody did quite well out of the two world wars. 

Class of 75
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Yet you vote brexit.

Yes because I believe Britain can be a success out of the EU

Class of 75
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Shite doesnae burn.

Shocking statement and disrespectful to those players who gave their lives in the First World War and many thousands since. Not a comment I would expect from a Hearts supporter. 

Class of 75
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It's unbelievable that folk try to argue this. I see a  poster completely ignored the point despite at least 3 posters asking him. That to me suggests he knows the argument is flawed and he is simply a zealot.

1) Football clubs have zero relevance to this debate so it does not matter a jot what forum this is. Don't start using our club's very important and proud history on a politics thread because you disagree with someone's view on the Union flag or anything else. It's quite frankly disgusting. 

2) People didn't risk their lives for a flag. They risked their lives for their family, friends and country. A flag represents a lot of things to a lot of people. The Union flag has nothing but negative connotations to me for a variety of reasons that I can get into if you want, but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate 100% the people that fought and gave their lives defending all the countries and people of this island. If the UK faced an existential threat tomorrow, I'd defend it despite my feelings on the union flag. 

That sums up your attitude imo. Everyone needs to be on one side or the other. And depending on that depends on how you treat them.

Will you finally acknowledge what has been put to you by many posters now that you've ignored; that Scotland either gets both debts and assets from the split with the UK or neither

Yes but your comments work both ways. If someone is disrespectful of my flag I have every right to comment. Can you imagine a proud US citizen not getting angry when their flag is burned? I appreciate that we all have different views on politics and I appreciate that we all have different views on the Union. I just didn't like the comments that were made. I haven't ignored the arguement with regards to the debt. If Scotland were to become independent they would get a share of which assets they owned but would also have to take a share of the debt which would not be insignificant. Finally, please take my comments in the manner there were presented. I have nothing against you or anyone else, it is just a debate. 

Class of 75

Ri Alban. Sorry mate knee jerk reaction. I appreciate that we all see things from a different perspective and that I may be combining 2 separare arguments. 

Cruyff Turn
3 hours ago, Class of 75 said:

Not really a laughing matter. Comments like that are more akin to certain other teams and their supporters. Makes me laugh really as we all have a good go at them on here yet some have the same political beliefs. 

:seething:

AlphonseCapone

Yes but your comments work both ways. If someone is disrespectful of my flag I have every right to comment. Can you imagine a proud US citizen not getting angry when their flag is burned? I appreciate that we all have different views on politics and I appreciate that we all have different views on the Union. I just didn't like the comments that were made. I haven't ignored the arguement with regards to the debt. If Scotland were to become independent they would get a share of which assets they owned but would also have to take a share of the debt which would not be insignificant. Finally, please take my comments in the manner there were presented. I have nothing against you or anyone else, it is just a debate. 

I understand why you'd be annoyed. I agree it's disrespectful to burn any countries flag, regardless of feelings towards that country because the flag is a symbol, usually, of the entire country which will include a whole range of people you agree or disagree with. But with that said, I still fundamentally disagree with you bringing Hearts into this discussion. 

Cool, glad you agree. The assets wouldn't be insignificant either. I'm not a Scotland should independent for a land of milk and honey type BTW so I appreciate there would need to be serious conversations about not only the debt acquired from the UK, but also the current deficit we run, which will involve changes to tax or decrease of services as simple measures, but opportunities for increasing trade etc will be possible too. My position is simply none of this is insurmountable and I believe Scotland should be the decision maker in how we manage those finances, and all other matters.

I try to take arguments as they come, but I don't always succeed. I appreciate that we both are very unlikely to change our opinions on independence as both our views I think are based on political outlooks rather than economics ? 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

I'm not too bothered, seeing as you're asking.

SwindonJambo
3 hours ago, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

I can’t wait to see wee nippys face after she loses indyref 2 

Obviously, no-one can be sure.  The vote will be likely be very close, one way or the other and the campaign very nasty with visceral hate between the extremes of each side and much unpleasantness in the aftermath. I personally think it's far too soon after the last vote.  Sturgeon has to win or else she'll have to resign, leaving her party with no obvious successor as she was for her immediate predecessor.

From her point of view, I believe she'd be far better to play the long game. There is no doubt that there's a clear majority in favour of independence amongst the under 35s.  People tend to get much more circumspect as they get older, concerned with pension security etc so it all depends on how these people's views evolve as they get older.

A comfortable win for independence and those on the remain side will probably accept the result and get on with it.  A narrow win for independence and many may feel disenfranchised and move away, taking their wealth and skills with them, which won't help the new state one bit.

AlphonseCapone
29 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Obviously, no-one can be sure.  The vote will be likely be very close, one way or the other and the campaign very nasty with visceral hate between the extremes of each side and much unpleasantness in the aftermath. I personally think it's far too soon after the last vote.  Sturgeon has to win or else she'll have to resign, leaving her party with no obvious successor as she was for her immediate predecessor.

From her point of view, I believe she'd be far better to play the long game. There is no doubt that there's a clear majority in favour of independence amongst the under 35s.  People tend to get much more circumspect as they get older, concerned with pension security etc so it all depends on how these people's views evolve as they get older.

A comfortable win for independence and those on the remain side will probably accept the result and get on with it.  A narrow win for independence and many may feel disenfranchised and move away, taking their wealth and skills with them, which won't help the new state one bit.

It's equally arguable that they might not have much wealth or skills. 

I agree slightly with the long game. I do believe, and it's only my opinion, that independence is inevitable as time passes, just feel all the movement since 1999 is in that direction, and as you say, people of my generation and below tend to be very pro independence. 

Surely I'm not that bad? 

Think Boris was trying to avoid me getting my fingers burnt again.