How Would You Vote in IndyRef2?

Highlander

It's four years on since most of us voted in the Independence Referendum of 2014 and I am of the personal opinion that the likelihood of another one is relatively high... at some point.

I am particularly interested in those who would change how they vote in the event of another and why, but if there was a second Independence Referendum, how would you vote? 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• frankblack

• Boris

• JamboX2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I voted yes (with my heart). I'd probably vote no now as there was so many unanswered questions last time. It would also very much would depend on what was on offer. Key questions for me would include what would the currency be and would we be in/out of the EU. 

I guess I'd start my research from the beginning if it happened again.

Voted Yes first time around but probably vote No this time, especially if I was being dragged against my will back into the EU, besides how could it be Independence when all Scotland would have done is exchange one overlord in Westminster for a different one in Brussels. 

As for the currency that would be the Euro, so it's a no from me.

I'd probably still vote yes because my opinion hasn't changed. If however, a remain campaign was to play a blinder and convince me that Scotlands place in the UK was a good thing, then so be it. 

I think that's the problem with politics in general though, a lot of us and I'm probably guilty of it myself, just tend to vote for one thing and rule out the possibility of ever voting for anything else 

Geoff the Mince

Voted Yes the first time but not sure what I'd vote again . . Not much faith in Scottish Politics/Politicans 

then I look at the Tories and Labour and again I have no faith in either one . 

The rest are irrelevant .

AlphonseCapone
22 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

No, whenever it is.

How did you vote last time if you are living in Spain? 

I voted Yes last time. This time I'd want assurances we'd get a choice on the EU and the Monarchy after and not pre-determined. 

Ricardo Shillyshally

The SNP need to start convincing people's they'd be better off. Not just "trust us, it will be fine".

Their constant moaning about the Tories (they hardly ever call them conservatives) only preaches to the converted.

Like most folk, my vote would not change.

3 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I voted Yes last time. This time I'd want assurances we'd get a choice on the EU and the Monarchy after and not pre-determined. 

I didn't vote because I couldn't. I'm stating a preference.

portobellojambo1

Voted no last time, and would vote no again. However, unlike the OP I don't think there will be a second referendum any time soon.

1 minute ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Voted no last time, and would vote no again. However, unlike the OP I don't think there will be a second referendum any time soon.

March 2019 

2 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Even after so few posts on this thread you are about the third person to raise question marks about joining the EU, this isn't really surprising because wasn't there about 30% of Yes voters who also voted to leave the EU, well few of them are going to vote for Independence if it means joining the EU.

The SNP have to take automatically joining the EU after Independence off the table and give the people of Scotland a choice, if they did that then there's every chance I would change my view point.

AlphonseCapone
7 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

I didn't vote because I couldn't. I'm stating a preference.

Smart, don't admit electoral fraud online ;)

The OP should have done a poll, no now yes, yes now no etc. Interesting topic though all the polls since suggest overall, nothing has changed % wise. 

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

Smart, don't admit electoral fraud online ;)

The OP should have done a poll, no now yes, yes now no etc. Interesting topic though all the polls since suggest overall, nothing has changed % wise. 

Are you accusing me of committing a crime? If you are, I'll report you to JKB Admin. to have them deal with it.

Didn’t vote last time. 

Would lean towards yes this time but the SNP would have to do a much better job of convincing me than last time. Basing a ridiculous amount of the projected economy on oil and not being able to give a straight answer on currency amongst other things. 

Had enough of the ***** in Westminster though, the thought of someone like Boris Johnson in charge is even more nauseating than the current state of affairs. 

Shanks said no

Voted Yes last time but I sat on the fence until the last minute and was only enthused to vote yes by younger members of my family and friends. As a leave voter I too would need to consider the EU implications before I chose this time. 

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

I have never favoured independence, however, as has been stated above, the prospect of Johnson in charge - or even worse - Rees-Mogg might persuade me to change my mind.  

Nay was my original vote, if there is another indyref it'd be thrice nay. Natz have demonstrated they are unfit to govern. Just maybe, if they had shown competent effective government during their tenure of office, maybe others, like me, might have considered it. 

3 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Nay was my original vote, if there is another indyref it'd be thrice nay. Natz have demonstrated they are unfit to govern. Just maybe, if they had shown competent effective government during their tenure of office, maybe others, like me, might have considered it. 

It's not a general election. The SNP would have to win one to govern an independent Scotland. 

38 minutes ago, Cade said:

Given that the UK is in an even bigger shambles than it was last time, it's a Yes again from me.

This. 

I genuinely dont understand how folk can look at Westminster and go...yeah....they seem to have a clue.

Absolutely baffling that you would want those idiots running your country. 

Yes last time and yes this time. It's hard to trust Westminster politicians so closer to home the better. At least we could vote some of the chancers out and make them more accountable. Can't do that just now in UK elections. 

May, Johnson or Rees-Mogg. Why on earth would we want to be governed by that lot when we can choose our own with policies better suited to our needs? 

I voted yes last time and would be yes again. I don't have any faith in Westminster and we really don't matter to them. The parties in Scotland are more intrested in point scoring than what's best for Scotland and I just think we've more of a chance of getting rid of the deadwood and making politicians work for the benefit of us if it was in a small parliament where our vote matters.

AlphonseCapone
32 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

Are you accusing me of committing a crime? If you are, I'll report you to JKB Admin. to have them deal with it.

Wasn't accusing you of anything old chap, just trying to have a wee joke. 

Didn't vote last time, definite Yes this time. 

This isn't about the snp or their vision, whoever forms a government would be voted in on their vision. There would be a period of transition, naturally, and we'd undoubtedly use the pound in the short term but these questions are ones to be asked after independence, simply because we don't know who would be in charge. 

It comes down to this - I can't accept that any Scottish government could possibly care less and do a worse job than the Westminster system in cahoots with the powerful south east of England and the City.

We need a government and system that actually cares for Scotland, and that's not going to come from London, ever. 

12 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

I have never favoured independence, however, as has been stated above, the prospect of Johnson in charge - or even worse - Rees-Mogg might persuade me to change my mind.  

It's not a prospect. Johnson was Foreign Minister and both are MPs. They make decisions that affect us every day.

28 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Even after so few posts on this thread you are about the third person to raise question marks about joining the EU, this isn't really surprising because wasn't there about 30% of Yes voters who also voted to leave the EU, well few of them are going to vote for Independence if it means joining the EU.

The SNP have to take automatically joining the EU after Independence off the table and give the people of Scotland a choice, if they did that then there's every chance I would change my view point.

Given people who voted Yes did so in full knowledge that the SNP and most of the Yes movement wanted to stay in Europe, I'm very sure that means most of those people value an independent Scotland over being part of Britain out of Europe. The SNP can't just decide to take Scotland out of Europe anyhow, especially after Scotland overwhelmingly voted to stay. Scotland has consistently voted for a very pro-Europe party (the SNP) and overwhelmingly voted to stay in Europe in the referendum (much more overwhelmingly than we voted to stay part of the UK). It's clear we are a pro-European country, unlike England which voted for a party offering a referendum on Europe and then voted to leave Europe.

However if what you say is true about the 30% figure, I think there are more than 30% of the No vote who in part voted No to stay in Europe. It was a major campaign theme of the Better Together lot, and almost everyone I know who has since changed their vote give Brexit as the main reason. So I still think Yes would come out ahead. 

If people want an independent Scotland to be out of Europe after independence, they can vote for a party that has a referendum on that in its manifesto in independent Scotland elections (even though we all know what the result would be!). Just like we can vote to become a republic, etc, etc if a party campaigns on that and wins. Those are all things to sort out after independence - just be nice to make those decisions for ourselves.

I voted yes first time round. Can't be sure I would again. I think the mess that is Brexit would put a lot of folk off making ourselves go through something similar.

AlphonseCapone
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's not a prospect. Johnson was Foreign Minister and both are MPs. They make decisions that affect us every day.

Given people who voted Yes did so in full knowledge that the SNP and most of the Yes movement wanted to stay in Europe, I'm very sure that means most of those people value an independent Scotland over being part of Britain out of Europe. The SNP can't just decide to take Scotland out of Europe anyhow, especially after Scotland overwhelmingly voted to stay. Scotland has consistently voted for a very pro-Europe party (the SNP) and overwhelmingly voted to stay in Europe in the referendum (much more overwhelmingly than we voted to stay part of the UK). It's clear we are a pro-European country, unlike England which voted for a party offering a referendum on Europe and then voted to leave Europe.

However if what you say is true about the 30% figure, I think there are more than 30% of the No vote who in part voted No to stay in Europe. It was a major campaign theme of the Better Together lot, and almost everyone I know who has since changed their vote give Brexit as the main reason. So I still think Yes would come out ahead. 

If people want an independent Scotland to be out of Europe after independence, they can vote for a party that has a referendum on that in its manifesto in independent Scotland elections (even though we all know what the result would be!). Just like we can vote to become a republic, etc, etc if a party campaigns on that and wins. Those are all things to sort out after independence - just be nice to make those decisions for ourselves.

Surely that's the wrong way around as we'd start out? 

Voted yes, with my heart, last time. All the continuous Brexit shite is doing my head in.  If they were to announce a indy referendum any time soon... just don't want to think of it. 

I voted leave at the Euro referendum. The SNP's current stance on the EU means I wouldn't vote for independence if there was to be a next time. 

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

Start out out of Europe? All depends who you believe. Last I read on this, and especially since Brexit, Scotland would be welcomed with open arms to stay in Europe with a smooth transition. There will be an open spot to fill after all and it would solve a lot of border issues.

Just now, Lemongrab said:

Voted yes, with my heart, last time. All the continuous Brexit shite is doing my head in.  If they were to announce a indy referendum any time soon... just don't want to think of it. 

I voted leave at the Euro referendum. The SNP's current stance on the EU means I wouldn't vote for independence if there was to be a next time. 

That was also their stance at the last Scottish referendum though.

5 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Works both ways, if necessary. I don't think we'll join the EU, more inclined to join the Scandinavian trade area with access to the single market and customs union. 

AlphonseCapone
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Start out out of Europe? All depends who you believe. Last I read on this, and especially since Brexit, Scotland would be welcomed with open arms to stay in Europe with a smooth transition. There will be an open spot to fill after all and it would solve a lot of border issues.

The UK leaves the EU in about 6 months. Scotland will be out of the EU for some period no matter what happens with independence. I didn't buy the we would wait years to get in shit last time but this is a whole different dynamic. 

1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

The UK leaves the EU in about 6 months. Scotland will be out of the EU for some period no matter what happens with independence. I didn't buy the we would wait years to get in shit last time but this is a whole different dynamic. 

Who knows what the UK will do, that's the crazy thing ? I think this is why we need to have the referendum sooner rather than later. But I do think we'd get in fast. Why wouldn't we? And I guess in that case if we were out of Europe officially we could have a referendum on getting back in first, which will give the 30% Yes voters who we're told don't want to be in Europe their say on it.

18 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Wasn't accusing you of anything old chap, just trying to have a wee joke. 

That's fine.

If there was a second vote and the country voted yes, would it be seen as 1 each and have a deciding vote for the beat of three?

If the country voted no again, would the "45" be demanding another vote?

My personnel opinion is that we already voted so we shouldn't have another 1 so soon.

By the way, I would vote no again. 

Bridge of Djoum

As much as I was in favor of independence, democracy spoke. As is the much trotted out line, you cannot just have new referendums until you get the result you want. 

I feel the same about Brexit. I'm absolutely in support of the UK remaining part of the European common market, sadly, democracy went against my leanings and I must accept that if I truly believe in democracy and fairness, the result stands with no question. You simply cannot pick and choose which parts of democracy you agree with or not.

I truly hate Brexit, but, it has to be accepted, and worked to the best advantage possible. Unfortunately the leadership in the UK is about as inept and self serving as you'll find.

I think the union continues to benefit us, loads of extra powers we got and we need to leave Europe to be strong, so I'd deffo vote no.  Scotland really is valued by Westminster. 

:rofl: 

2 minutes ago, superjack said:

If there was a second vote and the country voted yes, would it be seen as 1 each and have a deciding vote for the beat of three?

If the country voted no again, would the "45" be demanding another vote?

My personnel opinion is that we already voted so we shouldn't have another 1 so soon.

By the way, I would vote no again. 

Your post does raise an interesting point on referendums. I'm of the opinion that there should be a larger majority required to make such significant changes, rather than just 50.00000001% of the population based on their mood at a very specific point in time.

38 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The figure was seemingly about 36% according to the survey which was done back in late 2016.

Of course survey's & polls are notoriously unreliable, however it was interesting at the time that none of the parties including the SNP disputed the survey's findings, at least as far as I can recall they didn't.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14950013.36__of_SNP_and_Labour_supporters_backed_Brexit__finds_survey/

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

I think Brexit will have shown people, don't vote for something if you don't know what you are getting. I doubt the SNP will want a referendum anytime soon, they must realise people have wised up.