Champions League 2018/19

Morgan

Jambo, Goodbye
2 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Liverpool are the biggest sell outs on the planet.  A plaything for rich Americans and just another "franchise" to them.

Madrid are the biggest franchise on the planet. If you don't like franchises in football,  stick with the 80's.

How many Englishman, let alone Scousers, are in their squad?  

Seven regular first team players are English. Andy is Scottish,  and there's a few English youngsters involved such as Woodburn. That's more than the number of Scots we often start a game with. Straw man argument there. 

Watching Sky Sports News of the celebrations in Madrid and Liverpool you could hardly hear a Scouse accent.   Irish, Norwegian, Asian, Cockney... all in abundance but hardly anyone from Liverpool.

Literally every big club would have this,  including Madrid,  who used Beckham to further their 'brand' in east Asia. 

Despite Everton being the traditional Catholic club of the city, the parallels with Celtic are staggering.  Two fanbases offended by everything but embarrassed by nothing.  Clubs which love to point the finger but not so quick to hold their hands up.  Both self proclaimed clubs of the people with the greatest fans in the world, according to them.

Weird obsession over clubs fans imo. Standing on a soapbox to point the finger at others "pointing fingers" is hypocrisy.

Despite your hatred of them, a club like Real Madrid is more of a club of the people.  Still owned by the fans, just as it has been ever since it was formed.  Indeed, it recently tightened up it's rules to ensure that it would always be owned by its fans and not fall into the hands of some unscrupulous money man with promises of infinite wealth.  All that, and it has been Champion of Europe more than double the times that Liverpool have.  All the English clubs put together can only match the total of the venerable Real Madrid in terms of the European Cup/Champions League.

whilst Madrid's ownership is something to aspire to,  they are by definition,  a true establishment club. During high unemployment, and recession. Clubs such as Valencia go bankrupt whilst Madrid INCREASE their income. Only an fool would think this Is down to the socios, take Beckham again,  Madrid had an agreement that they receive 50% of all his sponsorship. Their sponsorship income went from 7m euros to 45m euros a year,  just by signing Beckham. Very franchisey...

Lastly, If clubs in the uk could convince the government to give special tax cuts to football players,  like Madrid did in 2005, they'd be a few more European cups outside of Spain and less in the Bernabeu. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Morgan

• CJGJ

• The Internet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Two fanbases offended by everything but embarrassed by nothing. 

inauguracic3b3n_del_inia_por_franco_1954

My 666th post is rather apt.  Surely posters naming themselves after famous gypsy violinists will get it, but who knows.  

The Old Tolbooth
9 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Did you manage to keep a straight face while typing that Shaun?  Dear oh dear.

Liverpool are the biggest sell outs on the planet.  A plaything for rich Americans and just another "franchise" to them.

Watching Sky Sports News of the celebrations in Madrid and Liverpool you could hardly hear a Scouse accent.   Irish, Norwegian, Asian, Cockney... all in abundance but hardly anyone from Liverpool.

Despite Everton being the traditional Catholic club of the city, the parallels with Celtic are staggering.  Two fanbases offended by everything but embarrassed by nothing.  Clubs which love to point the finger but not so quick to hold their hands up.  Both self proclaimed clubs of the people with the greatest fans in the world, according to them.

Despite your hatred of them, a club like Real Madrid is more of a club of the people.  Still owned by the fans, just as it has been ever since it was formed.  Indeed, it recently tightened up it's rules to ensure that it would always be owned by its fans and not fall into the hands of some unscrupulous money man with promises of infinite wealth.  All that, and it has been Champion of Europe more than double the times that Liverpool have.  All the English clubs put together can only match the total of the venerable Real Madrid in terms of the European Cup/Champions League.

Image result for salty gifs

11 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Did you manage to keep a straight face while typing that Shaun?  Dear oh dear.

The bitterness is pouring out. Give it a rest. 

European champions for the 6th time..... Deal with it and move on. 

Stephane Grappelli
5 hours ago, WageThief said:

My 666th post is rather apt.  Surely posters naming themselves after famous gypsy violinists will get it, but who knows.  

Of course I do, of course.  I'm sure you will be aware though that his connections to Real Madrid are somewhat overplayed and his connections to Barça rather underplayed.  I'm sure you will be aware of that.

Stephane Grappelli
13 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Original, I'll give you that.  Normally the tin foil hat brigade say that Real Madrid gets its money from the government, the banks or even the Spanish Royal Family, who don't have a pot to piss on.

You also need to revise your understanding of what the word franchise means.

Stephane Grappelli
5 hours ago, c9crew said:

The bitterness is pouring out. Give it a rest. 

European champions for the 6th time..... Deal with it and move on. 

Not at all, I actually quite like Liverpool as a club.  Just their holier than though fans annoy me.

I was also delighted with their fightback in the semis.

Jambo, Goodbye
1 hour ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Original, I'll give you that.  Normally the tin foil hat brigade say that Real Madrid gets its money from the government, the banks or even the Spanish Royal Family, who don't have a pot to piss on.

You also need to revise your understanding of what the word franchise means.

Their use of Beckham perfectly fits in with the definition of a franchise. I'm perfectly fine with my understanding,  and I made my point clear about what Madrid did to expand their business in east Asia. It was franchising the world's most marketable player,  pure and simple. 

11 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Of course I do, of course.  I'm sure you will be aware though that his connections to Real Madrid are somewhat overplayed and his connections to Barça rather underplayed.  I'm sure you will be aware of that.

I'm not acutely aware of the particular references you make.  Are you referring to the time that Franco fought alongside Orwell with the POUM then?  Or are you referring to the time De Stefano signed for Barcelona?  I'm sure you are fully aware of what you are referring to.

Stephane Grappelli
13 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Their use of Beckham perfectly fits in with the definition of a franchise. I'm perfectly fine with my understanding,  and I made my point clear about what Madrid did to expand their business in east Asia. It was franchising the world's most marketable player,  pure and simple. 

I still don't think you're getting it.  Liverpool is just one of the sporting franchises held by its owners, some rich Americans.  Real Madrid is owned by its fans, the people.

The Beckham deal was a business move employed by many clubs.  If anything it was just helping the club keep up with the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool, who had already turned merchandising into an art form.

Stephane Grappelli
5 hours ago, WageThief said:

I'm not acutely aware of the particular references you make.  Are you referring to the time that Franco fought alongside Orwell with the POUM then?  Or are you referring to the time De Stefano signed for Barcelona?  I'm sure you are fully aware of what you are referring to.

Franco fought alongside Orwell with the  POUM?  I think you need to brush up on your Spanish history if you believe that happened.  The work of Paul Preston would be a good place to start.

I'm thinking of the fascist dictator who was met by cheering crowds in Barcelona.  The one who cancelled FC Barcelona's debts to stop it going out of business.  The one who intervened with FIFA to allow them to sign Kubala when he and certain other Hungarian players had been banned from signing for any club worldwide.  The one who was awarded three medals in his lifetime by FC Barcelona.

I'm sure you were fully aware of what I was referring to...

2 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Franco fought alongside Orwell with the  POUM?  I think you need to brush up on your Spanish history if you believe that happened.  The work of Paul Preston would be a good place to start.

I'm thinking of the fascist dictator who was met by cheering crowds in Barcelona.  The one who cancelled FC Barcelona's debts to stop it going out of business.  The one who intervened with FIFA to allow them to sign Kubala when he and certain other Hungarian players had been banned from signing for any club worldwide.  The one who was awarded three medals in his lifetime by FC Barcelona.

I'm sure you were fully aware of what I was referring to...

Obviously Franco didn't fight with the POUM.  I think you need to brush up on your ability to comprehend sarcasm.  And the work of Orwell is a better place to start anyway,  but cheers.

If you think Barcelona was Franco's favourite place (or their favourite person) then I think you will need to brush up on your Spanish history as well.  Deary me.  Did they cheer him from the windows for banning Catalan?

Next you will be telling everyone that Franco supported Athletico Bilbao and the Maquis up the mountains.  Although I'm sure you wouldn't want to look quite so stupid.

Kubala is a terrible example because he was still banned for playing after signing for Barca and didn't play in La Liga until the ban was lifted internationally in 1951.  Want another go?

Do Real Madrid fans like to remember the 11-1 victory against Barca in 1943 or do you not like to talk about it very much?

"offended by everything ashamed of nothing"

"anti abortionist and catholic"

But nothing like Celtic, obviously.

Jambo, Goodbye
8 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

I still don't think you're getting it.  Liverpool is just one of the sporting franchises held by its owners, some rich Americans.  Real Madrid is owned by its fans, the people.

The Beckham deal was a business move employed by many clubs.  If anything it was just helping the club keep up with the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool, who had already turned merchandising into an art form.

Not getting it? Christ you're condescending. The Beckham deal was designed to cash in on his sponsorship. He was a franchise to real Madrid and helped them expand their eastern asian operations. If you don't understand that,  then you're the one "not getting it". 

Madrid was the stupidest example you could have chosen. 

On 06/06/2019 at 15:24, Stephane Grappelli said:

Not at all, I actually quite like Liverpool as a club.  Just their holier than though fans annoy me.

I was also delighted with their fightback in the semis.

?

Stephane Grappelli
11 hours ago, WageThief said:

Obviously Franco didn't fight with the POUM.  I think you need to brush up on your ability to comprehend sarcasm.  And the work of Orwell is a better place to start anyway,  but cheers.

If you think Barcelona was Franco's favourite place (or their favourite person) then I think you will need to brush up on your Spanish history as well.  Deary me.  Did they cheer him from the windows for banning Catalan?

Next you will be telling everyone that Franco supported Athletico Bilbao and the Maquis up the mountains.  Although I'm sure you wouldn't want to look quite so stupid.

Kubala is a terrible example because he was still banned for playing after signing for Barca and didn't play in La Liga until the ban was lifted internationally in 1951.  Want another go?

Do Real Madrid fans like to remember the 11-1 victory against Barca in 1943 or do you not like to talk about it very much?

"offended by everything ashamed of nothing"

"anti abortionist and catholic"

But nothing like Celtic, obviously.

Quick check on Wiki then you try to pass it off as sarcasm.  Also, sarcasm works better if it's funny. 

You need to brush up on your Spanish history and your grammar.  You seem to be saying Barcelona was Franco's favourite person.  That don't make no sense buddy.

Orwell is fantastic but its one perspective from one particular part of the war.  Preston has covered every aspect of the whole conflict in amazing detail.

You obviously checked Wiki for the Kubala info too.  That doesn't explain why Franco would intervene to help Barça sign him. 

I note you have no answer for Franco clearing Barça's debts.  Madrid on the other hand were destitute after the Civil War and their ground destroyed and just left to get on with it.  Some saw it as a punishment for having a communist as president of the club and removing Real from their name during the second republic.

Unlike Barça, Madrid did not vote recently to rescind medals that they awarded to Franco.  The reason being they never gave him any in the first place.  Barça gave him 3 (three) during his dictatorship.

The 11-1 victory is an interesting one.  Madrid were subjected to rough treatment in the first leg so the fans gave Barça it back in the second leg.  So long ago and impartial accounts hard to come by so difficult to say what really happened. Were the Barça players so intimated or did they know they were getting outclassed and came up with a convenient excuse? It's something they do repeatedly.

It also doesn't really tie in with the comparison with Liverpool fans.  Real Madrid fans know that they are not popular with other fans.  They don't get offended by much though, unlike Liverpool or Celtic fans.

I must bow to your knowledge on clubs and their stance on abortion though.  As far as I knew, Madrid didn't have a view on that subject so fair play to you.

If you have a problem with Catholic clubs you must hate Barça.  Every trophy is taken to Barcelona Cathedral, blessed by the Archbishop then taken to the shrine of the Virgin of Montserrat.

Hope you're enjoying your schooling.  Just to warn you I will have to start charging if this goes on much longer.

Stephane Grappelli
6 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Not getting it? Christ you're condescending. The Beckham deal was designed to cash in on his sponsorship. He was a franchise to real Madrid and helped them expand their eastern asian operations. If you don't understand that,  then you're the one "not getting it". 

Madrid was the stupidest example you could have chosen. 

Of course it was designed to cash in.  A club owned by its fans has to be creative in its revenue streams to keep up ahead of American owned franchises like Liverpool.

Jambo, Goodbye
59 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Of course it was designed to cash in.  A club owned by its fans has to be creative in its revenue streams to keep up ahead of American owned franchises like Liverpool.

Madrid keeping up with liverpool? Aye okay. The socios don't change what Madrid are,  The owners of Liverpool don't change what liverpool are.

You can keep building that straw man if it makes you happy. 

Stephane Grappelli
4 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Madrid keeping up with liverpool? Aye okay. The socios don't change what Madrid are,  The owners of Liverpool don't change what liverpool are.

You can keep building that straw man if it makes you happy. 

I suppose it's a tomato tomato type thing.  You take it easy my man, all the best.

Jambo, Goodbye
Just now, Stephane Grappelli said:

I suppose it's a tomato tomato type thing.  You take it easy my man, all the best.

Enjoy your weekend ?