Champions League 2018/19

Morgan

hmfc_liam06
54 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The net spend thing isn't relevant though outside a balance sheet. My point was that a lot has been spent on players, full stop. Certain Liverpool fans on here like to make out that other clubs spend a fortune and the godlike Klopp has scraped by on pennies which is patently bullshit.

Bang on.

Ouch - http://www.sportbible.com/football/transfers-the-premier-league-clubs-who-have-spent-most-in-the-last-3-windows-20180809

(Doesn't include Jan)

Edited by hmfc_liam06

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Morgan

• CJGJ

• The Internet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The best thing about this thread was CJGJ talking to himself while the rest watched an absolute classic in Manchester.

:rofl:

Semi final dates 

Tues 30 April 

Tottenham v Ajax 

Wed 1 May

Barcelona v Liverpool 

Tues 7 May

Liverpool v Barcelona 

Wed 8 May 

Ajax v Tottenham 

8pm kick offs

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Which it was. 

It was accidental so not sure if that influenced decision to give goal or looking at wrong angle as we said at time. 

Not many managers wouldn't mention something like that. Klopp would. Poch would. You could call it 'bleating'. I think he was more disappointed. 

It wasn't a handball. 

It hit his hand but never a handball. 

His arm was almost in his stomach. Never a handball and correct call. 

If that's a handball then the shot that hit the man City defenders hand is also one, which again although hitting the hand, wasn't a handball. 

Did he mention that, naw. So he is bleating as it is the correct decision. 

Moaning, bleating etc wouldn't be the appropriate term if it was the wrong call, but it wasn't so he can stoap greetin. ?

The one thing about the VAR decisions last night would be the Spurs winning goal. I agree with Mark Halsey that had the ref been shown the other angle he would defo have chopped it off for hand ball. It did seem odd that they chose to only show him the one angle over and over.

Edited by VALDOS

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The best thing about this thread was CJGJ talking to himself while the rest watched an absolute classic in Manchester.

I did not realise that some on here do not have the technical nous to watch 2 games even if only briefly glancing at one of the ties

Someone had to watch the winners whilst others were too busy dealing with the losers tie  :rolleyes2:

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

The net spend thing isn't relevant though outside a balance sheet. My point was that a lot has been spent on players, full stop. Certain Liverpool fans on here like to make out that other clubs spend a fortune and the godlike Klopp has scraped by on pennies which is patently bullshit.

Of course a lot has been spent it has to be spent if they want to compete, but essentially it's been spent because they are able to recoup a large amount from sales.  When you look at the amounts Barca, R. Madrid, Man City, Man Utd, PSG have spent recently compared to Liverpool its clear that Klopp has built a pretty remarkable team for about half of the cost that the mentioned teams have.

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

Maths clearly not your strongpoint....he could not have spent what he has had he not sold players

Net spend is important and I repeat in terms of what Pep was brought in to do (win the Champions League) he is a failure

Will this continue, who knows and he will spend again to try and meet the owners aims this summer but to date like it or not he has not succeeded

If Klopp had been given over half a billion £ net and not won the champions league it would be a failure as well.........mind you his aim was not to win the Champions League (though it would be nice)....working under a far different budget he has made great strides year on year

4 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Of course a lot has been spent it has to be spent if they want to compete, but essentially it's been spent because they are able to recoup a large amount from sales.  When you look at the amounts Barca, R. Madrid, Man City, Man Utd, PSG have spent recently compared to Liverpool its clear that Klopp has built a pretty remarkable team for about half of the cost that the mentioned teams have.

Id be surprised if there is much difference between Liverpool and Real Madrid during Klopps tenure in terms of spending and the much fabled 'net' spend is probably in Real Madrids favour.

17 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Maths clearly not your strongpoint....he could not have spent what he has had he not sold players

Net spend is important and I repeat in terms of what Pep was brought in to do (win the Champions League) he is a failure

Will this continue, who knows and he will spend again to try and meet the owners aims this summer but to date like it or not he has not succeeded

If Klopp had been given over half a billion £ net and not won the champions league it would be a failure as well.........mind you his aim was not to win the Champions League (though it would be nice)....working under a far different budget he has made great strides year on year

Great strides, yet hasn't won a thing. He might have to move on to one of the bigger sides to finally start winning things as Liverpool are great to watch but they always fall short in every competition, it will likely be another season of nothing this season again.

the general
4 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Guardiola being a hypocrite bleating about the VAR decisions when, had this been in place at Swansea (like it was at the other ties), his team would have been out of the FA Cup.

Just to be clear, I've not seen any of last nights game, so I've no idea if he has a case or not with regard to the two decisions

Ha ha what a roaster

30 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

And comprehension isn't your strongpoint. As I made very clear in my post the money has been spent, it doesn't matter where it came from, it was spent. 

But there isn't really much point in posting as you're completely blind when it comes to your beloved Liverpool and can brook no criticism.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

I did not realise that some on here do not have the technical nous to watch 2 games even if only briefly glancing at one of the ties

Someone had to watch the winners whilst others were too busy dealing with the losers tie  :rolleyes2:

Didn't a team win in the City v Spurs game?

Not all of us have a kiddy on English side :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Id be surprised if there is much difference between Liverpool and Real Madrid during Klopps tenure in terms of spending and the much fabled 'net' spend is probably in Real Madrids favour.

True, Real have slowed down on the spending side, I was including wages into my thinking to though!

shaun.lawson
3 hours ago, CJGJ said:

On everything except the ludicrous nonsense that "Pep is a failure", I agree with the

above. I find Tazio's argument utterly ridiculous.

Manchester City buy who they want and don't need to sell. Real Madrid buy who they want and don't need to sell. Barcelona buy who they want and don't need to sell. PSG buy who they want and don't need to sell. Chelsea buy more or less who they want and don't need to sell. And both Bayern Munich and Juventus are in a pretty big-spending bracket themselves, especially when it comes to buying who they want from everyone else in their respective leagues.

By contrast, Liverpool had to sell their best player in order to spend - and it's only because Klopp is absolutely brilliant that they've got even better since. By further contrast, where Klopp is brilliant, Pochettino is out of this bloody world. Anything higher than 6th would be remarkable for Tottenham, whose wage bill is less than half of Man City; whose wage bill actively prevents them from buying the best.

Instead, they've been 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, should end up top 4 again this season, and are in the Champions League semi-finals despite almost all their key players being crocked. Unbelievable. As this table below demonstrates in no uncertain terms:

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

Guardiola, Klopp and Pochettino are, with Zidane and Simeone, probably three of the world's best five managers. English football is incredibly lucky to have all three. But is Guardiola a 'failure'? Gimme a break. It's Cup football. Cup football at this level is predicated on details and on luck. A whole bunch of sides have ridden their luck like nobody's business to win this tournament; very few sides win it without needing to get lucky at some point along the way. 

City were, what, a few inches from getting through after the epic to end all epics last night; maybe the greatest football match I've ever seen. These things are well beyond what this or that manager can or can't do; by definition, it's beyond their control. Spurs bringing on Llorente almost cost them everything; instead, he put them through. Christian Eriksen has probably been their best player for the last 3 or 4 years; he nearly put them out. Would that have been down to Poch? 'Course it wouldn't.

Just as it wasn't down to him or anyone else that VAR didn't show all the angles on the handball; just as it wasn't down to him that the ref originally gave a goal there (had he originally ruled it out, I don't think VAR would've overturned it). It's football; it's a game of inches, virtually a flip of a coin at times. As Liverpool fans know, City are only top of the table courtesy of a few inches in the league game at the Etihad too. That doesn't make Pep a genius or Klopp a fraud - they're both fantastic at what they do, and should both be celebrated, as should Poch.

Congratulations to both sides on an incredible contest. And it's great for the sport that the four semi-finalists all play exhilarating, joyous, life-affirming football. Football, like life, goes in cycles - and we're in a heck of an upward part of that cycle right now. 

Edited by shaun.lawson

10 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

On everything except the ludicrous nonsense that "Pep is a failure", I agree with the

Manchester City buy who they want and don't need to sell. Real Madrid buy who they want and don't need to sell. Barcelona buy who they want and don't need to sell. PSG buy who they want and don't need to sell. Chelsea buy more or less who they want and don't need to sell. And both Bayern Munich and Juventus are in a pretty big-spending bracket themselves, especially when it comes to buying who they want from everyone else in their respective leagues.

By contrast, Liverpool had to sell their best player in order to spend - and it's only because Klopp is absolutely brilliant that they've got even better since. By further contrast, where Klopp is brilliant, Pochettino is out of this bloody world. Anything higher than 6th would be remarkable for Tottenham, whose wage bill is less than half of Man City; whose wage bill actively prevents them from buying the best.

Instead, they've been 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, should end up top 4 again this season, and are in the Champions League semi-finals despite almost all their key players being crocked. Unbelievable. As this table below demonstrates in no uncertain terms:

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

Guardiola, Klopp and Pochettino are, with Zidane and Simeone, probably three of the world's best five managers. English football is incredibly lucky to have all three. But is Guardiola a 'failure'? Gimme a break. It's Cup football. Cup football at this level is predicated on details and on luck. A whole bunch of sides have ridden their luck like nobody's business to win this tournament; very few sides win it without needing to get lucky at some point along the way. 

City were, what, a few inches from getting through after the epic to end all epics last night; maybe the greatest football match I've ever seen. These things are well beyond what this or that manager can or can't do; by definition, it's beyond their control. Spurs bringing on Llorente almost cost them everything; instead, he put them through. Christian Eriksen has probably been their best player for the last 3 or 4 years; he nearly put them out. Would that have been down to Poch? 'Course it wouldn't.

Just as it wasn't down to him or anyone else that VAR didn't show all the angles on the handball; just as it wasn't down to him that the ref originally gave a goal there (had he originally ruled it out, I don't think VAR would've overturned it). It's football; it's a game of inches, virtually a flip of a coin at times. As Liverpool fans know, City are only top of the table courtesy of a few inches in the league game at the Etihad too. That doesn't make Pep a genius or Klopp a fraud - they're both fantastic at what they do, and should both be celebrated, as should Poch.

Congratulations to both sides on an incredible contest. And it's great for the sport that the four semi-finalists all play exhilarating, joyous, life-affirming football. Football, like life, goes in cycles - and we're in a heck of an upward part of that cycle right now. 

There is an element where clubs do need to sell to meet Financial Fair Play despite some dodgy accountancy.

PSG have specifically had to sell players.

By the way I was saying last night, Man Utd should be getting Pochettino as their manager in the summer.

Admit their mistake before they waste any more time. 

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

By the way I was saying last night, Man Utd should be getting Pochettino as their manager in the summer.

Admit their mistake before they waste any more time. 

I don't think he'd leave Tottenham for them. I really don't. Man Utd's problem is their owners. The whole club has been a shambles since Fergie left: because only the greatest manager of all time had the ability to paper over cracks, which started showing there in Summer 2009 after Ronaldo left.

7 hours ago, Stokesy said:

Didn't notice before but, the Tottenham defender moves his head out of the way of Sterling's shot for the first goal. If he'd taken it in the face like he's paid to do it probably wouldn't have gone in.

Alderweireld ducked out of the way but he’s not normally that kind of defender he’s a 100% fully committed but he made up for it in the rest of the game.

2 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

It wasn't an argument, it was a point I was making and the point was that Liverpool have spent a lot of money. This is undeniable, even to you in your full arrogant hectoring mode. 

shaun.lawson
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It wasn't an argument, it was a point I was making and the point was that Liverpool have spent a lot of money. This is undeniable, even to you in your full arrogant hectoring mode. 

It's very very very deniable in the context of having to sell to buy. Funny how you accused CJGJ of seeing everything through the lenses of his "beloved Liverpool" when you're just as blinkered and biased yourself. 

Jim Jefferies spent a lot of money by Hearts' standards in his first spell at the club. Yet he also made a substantial profit by selling players. There's buying clubs and selling clubs in football; and at the game's most rarefied levels, both Liverpool (Coutinho) and Tottenham (Bale) are, in effect, selling clubs. Which makes their achievements all the greater... and those of Ajax, astonishing.

1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

It's very very very deniable in the context of having to sell to buy. Funny how you accused CJGJ of seeing everything through the lenses of his "beloved Liverpool" when you're just as blinkered and biased yourself. 

Jim Jefferies spent a lot of money by Hearts' standards in his first spell at the club. Yet he also made a substantial profit by selling players. There's buying clubs and selling clubs in football; and at the game's most rarefied levels, both Liverpool (Coutinho) and Tottenham (Bale) are, in effect, selling clubs. Which makes their achievements all the greater... and those of Ajax, astonishing.

I'm not sure how this seems so difficult. If you buy, you buy. It doesn't matter where those funds came from. I know that Liverpool had to get rid of Coutinho to invest but they still had the money to spend, the alternative being a huffy Brazilian who wouldn't try a leg. I perfectly get the fact that the mega clubs that now exist have the luxury of spending and not selling but that wasn't the point I was making. 

shaun.lawson

Apropos of nothing, last summer, for the first time in his life, my best friend's then 7 year old son got into football. Partly thanks to my encouragement; partly thanks to the World Cup. He's half German, half British... so ended up in tears after Germany v Mexico, then racing around his Mum's sitting room in euphoria after England v Tunisia. 

He developed such a 'feel' for the game that during England-Croatia, he went to bed while it was still 1-1. Clearly knew what was going to happen. And then he picked a club side to follow: Tottenham. An excellent choice I thought, because it's brave. Spurs fans know the pain which following their club usually entails.

He already has the most wonderful hatred of "smelly" (his words) Arsenal. He says "boo!" whenever Chelsea's name is mentioned. And while his Dad's a Celtic fan, he hates Celtic too. So much so that earlier, he said his favourite club in continental Europe is... Salzburg. :laugh: Good lad. :thumbsup: 

Anyway, he didn't see last night's game, cos he was at his gran's and she didn't have it on telly. But I'm quite relieved for him that he didn't. I could easily imagine him running into his room crying if he'd seen Sterling's 'winner'. In fact, I'd love to know how many Spurs fans around the world turned off in disgust at that moment, and didn't realise they'd gone through before waking up this morning.

Anyway: this is an 8 year old kid who saw England reach the semi-finals in his first ever World Cup, then his club side reach their first European Cup semi-final in 57 years! Definitely a lucky charm. And if he has a Scottish side at all, it's Hearts. Ahead of the Cup Final, I'll clutch at any straw I can in that regard.

Edited by shaun.lawson

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday 30th April 2019

Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax

Wednesday 1st May 2019

Barcelona v Liverpool

Going by my last few predictions I probably shouldn't bother, but here goes:

Going for a 2-2 draw tonight in London and a 1-1 draw tomorrow night in Barcelona.

Spurs have a weakened team tonight and Ajax are injury free and rested

Spurs play in a league of a higher standard but Ajax are unbeaten away in Europe this season and that includes visits to Munich, Madrid and Turin....they have also played some great football in doing so.

Hard to call tonight and I doubt the tie will be so clear cut we can call a winner of the overall tie

Tomorrows tie is more clear cut and another final is on the horizon for Liverpool.........................................................................;)

1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

Spurs play in a league of a higher standard but Ajax are unbeaten away in Europe this season and that includes visits to Munich, Madrid and Turin....they have also played some great football in doing so.

Hard to call tonight and I doubt the tie will be so clear cut we can call a winner of the overall tie

Tomorrows tie is more clear cut and another final is on the horizon for Liverpool.........................................................................;)

dusan tadic has scored 34 goals and has 21 assists this season for ajax

4 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

:lol: 

1 minute ago, Calebs Grandad said:

Spurs 1 Ajax 3

Barcelona 3 Liverpool 1

My 25p is on the double. 

Just put a tenner on the Ajax Barca double @ 6.5

Governor Tarkin

Good evening chaps. 

I'm on a boat off the coast of west Africa with shitty internet and all streaming services blocked. I can get youtube working through a vpn, so any youtube links to tonights game anyone might have would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. ?

Bazzas right boot

Ajax are a brilliant team. 

All in sync. 

Nothing over complicated, just all in tune and playing as a team.