Champions League 2018/19

Morgan

Mr Elwood P
39 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Van dijk puts Liverpool ahead. 

In other news, Swansea got a penalty earlier

Did you have to post that? Burst my coupon ...

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Morgan

• CJGJ

• The Internet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

City and Liverpool used 8 English players over the last two nights. Not sure it matters. EPL has world wide appeal and has a number of players from all over the world playing in it.

Spurs often start with Trippier, Rose, Dier, Alli, Winks, and Kane.

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Hearts could have a full squad without a single Scottish player and if it won us a league title or Scottish cup I wouldn't care less.

chester copperpot
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Liverpool’s Cup.

Possibly Tottenham.

No chance.

Man city or Barca are the only 2 getting near winning it this year. 

2 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

No chance.

Watch this space.

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

No chance.

Based on what? Liverpool beat City over two legs last season and are perhaps a better team this year.

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Based on what? Liverpool beat City over two legs last season and are perhaps a better team this year.

:thumbsup:

Stephane Grappelli
16 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

No chance.

Bullshit.

Bazzas right boot
40 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

City and Liverpool used 8 English players over the last two nights. Not sure it matters. EPL has world wide appeal and has a number of players from all over the world playing in it.

It matters if you link club success with national success or want your club success to be replicated nationally 

Comenrators getting into a frothy mess over the "English" teams. 

Not going to argue about a jumped up foreign league, more of an observation than a debating point. 

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Aye, spurs do boost it Tbf, I forgot about them. 

The team with the most English players is also the weakest, one for the commentating team to dissect. 

chester copperpot
12 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Bullshit.

Because you disagree? Let's wait and see who wins it. I couldn't want to be more wrong but liverpool are not good enough this year but that's just my opinion!

Just now, chester copperpot said:

Because you disagree? Let's wait and see who wins it. I couldn't want to be more wrong but liverpool are not good enough this year but that's just my opinion!

I know what you are doing ?

Stephane Grappelli
12 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Disagreeing more that it's just between City or Barça.  Think Juve will have a big say in it.

Any side with the worlds best players in it has a chance

Barcelona with Messi and Juventus with Ronaldo are on their day top class and they have a good supporting cast

Manchester City are the up and coming future European champions according to many and have a number of excellent players

Liverpool reached last seasons final and can they go one step further ?....why not

You've got Spurs who can be a top side on their day and as for Manchester United well the least said the better but a team with confidence instilled by a new manager can cause a surprise but maybe the last round was that surprise

Ajax and Porto are going to be the outsiders in the last 8 and lets be honest they will be the sides the others want to face but Ajax showed they can compete not only in the last 16 but in their group performances. Porto are a side that seem to reach their level and exit the competition..this may be it for them depending on the draw.

We can talk all day about who will win it but the draw on Friday will determine that almost as much as the quality of the sides in the draw.

chester copperpot
13 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Disagreeing more that it's just between City or Barça.  Think Juve will have a big say in it.

Oh aye

Forgot about Juve. Sorry , man city, juve and Barca. 

Stephane Grappelli
1 minute ago, chester copperpot said:

Oh aye

Forgot about Juve. Sorry , man city, juve and Barca. 

I should have expressed myself better than just saying bullshit too!

Just banter.

The Old Tolbooth

That was some result for Liverpool tonight, first time we've ever won there, I still don't think we have enough to win it but if the draw lands right you never know, I said the same last season too and we almost won it, only falling at the final hurdle. 

Bring on Man Utd in the next round please ??

Stephane Grappelli

Suarez stamps on the Lyon player's leg then does a swan dive.  Instead of getting punished for the stamp and simulation, he gets a penalty.

Priceless.

The Real Maroonblood
9 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

4 English teams through. 

Probably about 10 English players through between them. 

If you through in Arsenal and Chelsea, probably about 10-15 English players over 6 teams. 

Linekar having orgasms that there are no German teams in the last eight.

Bazzas right boot
40 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Linekar having orgasms that there are no German teams in the last eight.

Yip, as I said the English commentary foaming at the gash about English teams being in it, mentioned it every two minutes every game about the possibility. 

Means nothing for actually England, but you can tell in their head they are putting 2+2 together. 

47 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Yip, as I said the English commentary foaming at the gash about English teams being in it, mentioned it every two minutes every game about the possibility. 

Means nothing for actually England, but you can tell in their head they are putting 2+2 together. 

The BBC has a big article on the website with the question of "are English teams now the dominant force in Europe?"

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Don’t agree with this.  Englands three main forward players, Sterling, Kane and Rashford, are all playing and scoring in the knock out phase of the Champions league.  If that experience against top players doesn’t improve their performance or at the very least their confidence nothing will.  

That will benefit England if it hasn’t already.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

I'd say Barcelona and Juventus are the favourites. 

All the English teams have done well and do have good players. Salah, Kane, Pogba, De Bruyne could all play for the best clubs and they are backed up by strong squads.

The draw is key. And of course it's now just 5 games. Need to do really well in just 2 or 3 of them. 

But a little early to talk of English dominance. 

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Don’t agree with this.  Englands three main forward players, Sterling, Kane and Rashford, are all playing and scoring in the knock out phase of the Champions league.  If that experience against top players doesn’t improve their performance or at the very least their confidence nothing will.  

That will benefit England if it hasn’t already.  

England are in a good state.

The young players are giving a lot of hope. 

The Internet

England just got to the semis of a world cup and now have loads of teams in the latter stages of both European competitions. And their young international teams win all the time. Why wouldn't they celebrate their current status. 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

England just got to the semis of a world cup and now have loads of teams in the latter stages of both European competitions. And their young international teams win all the time. Why wouldn't they celebrate their current status. 

What does BT stand for? 

Messi is playing like he's got a point to prove. Worrying for all opposition.

Did anyone see his assist for Pique last night? Absolute ridiculous... how can he even see that ball is on?

alwaysthereinspirit
55 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

This. Someone's doing something right at grass level and its not Scotland.

• 4 weeks later...
NaturalOrder74
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Couple of decent games tonight. 

For me the games tomorrow look a bit better, would be interesting if Tottenham take a win tonight to keep things exciting but reckon it’ll be just another routine win for city 

3 minutes ago, kila said:

Quite looking forward to seeing what Tottenham's new ground is like (I thought they were keeping the WHL name)

Were talking about White Hart Lane and Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. 

But it's all on hold just now. No name for now. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Shanks said no

Decent enough stadium I suppose............will be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like.

portobellojambo1
43 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

It looks fantastic.

It does look very impressive. I just wonder when the actual cost of it will appear on the club's balance sheets, as I'm guessing the money to cover the £1 billion cost has to be taken into account at some point. I only say that because I either heard or read something recently which seemed to be indicating that despite the cost of the stadium Tottenham had still made a profit in excess of £100 million, which is difficult to compute to an extent. Eventually I'm guessing their accounts will have to show a significant negative unless all the money came in as gifts.

Edited by portobellojambo1

Stadium does look fantastic but for a billion pounds it should

It had to be done for Spurs to move on but they wil feel some pain financially over the next few years

As to the match..there won't be much in it and perhaps a score draw

Liverpool will need to remember just because you knocked out Porto last season it does not automatically mean you will do so the next but they are excellent away from home with the attacking threat they have so if they win and hopefully not losing an away goal they will hold every chance

haveyouheard 22
Just now, kila said:

So many tiers close together it is just dark shadows, even the single tier is not well illuminated

Shit hole eh