Serena Williams

graygo

2 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Eight whole days now since this incident and folk are still thrashing around in a swamp of seethe about just women athletes in general now. Makes you wonder tbh. 

I thought the whole issue had died down, what makes you say that?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• redjambo

• luckyBatistuta

• John Findlay

Serena Williams is a horrible women and quite possibly the worst role model for such a successful tennis player. This isn't the first nor will it be the last of her outburst on court. 

2009 at the US open she insulted a male linesmab using grotesque language and threatened to shove tennis ball down his throat.. She called him a liar when then approached the umpire and serena started her screaming and shouting nonesense. Thankfully, TV footage showed that she did fire off insults and she apologized. 

2011 us open she abused a female umpire and called her unattractive. What's this about fighting for women's rights? -

There are many more examples but for some reason Journalists are frightened to tackle her on her awful personality. 

She is a sore loser. Plain and simple.and doesn't give a rat's arse about women's rights. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

51 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/45624387

says she wants to move on from the us open final issues but seems to be throwing her coach under the bus

I saw that and couldn't figure out what she's trying to achieve. The coach did make a signal which he intended for her to think about her tactics. Whether or not she saw it or acted on it isn't the question. It's a breach of the rules and a warning on the player is the consequence. It's only a warning; it doesn't condemn her as a cheat; it only advises the 'team' to give it a rest. It's her action subsequent to that which saw her, deservedly, docked a point then a game. Is she trying to deflect from that by sacrificing Mouratoglou? Graceless and humility-free.

47 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I saw that and couldn't figure out what she's trying to achieve. The coach did make a signal which he intended for her to think about her tactics. Whether or not she saw it or acted on it isn't the question. It's a breach of the rules and a warning on the player is the consequence. It's only a warning; it doesn't condemn her as a cheat; it only advises the 'team' to give it a rest. It's her action subsequent to that which saw her, deservedly, docked a point then a game. Is she trying to deflect from that by sacrificing Mouratoglou? Graceless and humility-free.

Spot on.  She still had to collect the equivalent of two stupid yellows before losing that game.

Her only defense is that everyone receives coaching in some way, and maybe she can initiate a discussion on how far her coach can go when it comes to giving signals. Tennis must be unique in that coaching is not allowed during a game (except, in some smaller tournaments, it is!)

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Aye, I bet she wants to “move on”. Interesting as well that her PR chaperone was obstructing questions in her interview too. She’s been shown up as a total prima donna

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

That’s exactly what she’s trying to do. Trying to paint herself as blameless rather than the pathetic child that she is

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That’s exactly what she’s trying to do. Trying to paint herself as blameless rather than the pathetic child that she is

Quite how she can blame anyone but herself for he beaviour is beyond me.

8 hours ago, H2 said:

Quite how she can blame anyone but herself for he beaviour is beyond me.

That's what bullies and spoiled brats do.

Just now, redjambo said:

Link?

I heard it on the radio. She said it had nothing to do with sexism, just a player being beat and losing control of their emotions. She said it should never of happened. 

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I heard it on the radio. She said it had nothing to do with sexism, just a player being beat and losing control of their emotions. She said it should never of happened. 

Good for her.

Seems to lose the plot when getting well beat.

Maybe needs a wee reminder of Rudyard Kipling's words above Centre Court: " If you can meet with triumph and disaster,

and treat those two imposters just the same" ..etc.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Heather Watson telling it how it is. Good on her. 

Heather Watson telling anyone what they should do during a game of tennis is, quite frankly, laughable. 

Awful player. 

6 hours ago, The Brow said:

Heather Watson telling anyone what they should do during a game of tennis is, quite frankly, laughable. 

Awful player. 

You don't have to be the best to have class. 

7 hours ago, The Brow said:

Awful player. 

That maybe but, she knows how to lose gracefully.

12 hours ago, The Brow said:

Awful player. 

Why would not being a great player deny you the right to comment on behaviour on the tennis court?

A very strange comment of yours.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
12 hours ago, The Brow said:

Awful player. 

Is pretty much the point on which Williams is going wrong. 'I'm the greatest female player of all time, therefore I'm above everyone else.'

Loved that story where the men's player ranked 205 in the world or whatever wiped the floor with her and her sister, having first played golf and gone on the piss.

20 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I heard it on the radio. She said it had nothing to do with sexism, just a player being beat and losing control of their emotions. She said it should never of happened

I always had Heather Watson down as a well educated young lady. I doubt she'd ever have come out with that abomination.

4 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I always had Heather Watson down as a well educated young lady. I doubt she'd ever have come out with that abomination.

Never have happened. 

7 hours ago, redjambo said:

Why would not being a great player deny you the right to comment on behaviour on the tennis court?

A very strange comment of yours.

strange comment? haha ok.......

Watson's never been under any real pressure. Pretty easy to sit at home and judge. 

who knows what goes through Serena's head when she's competing. Im not defending it, but im sure that nobody commenting on this thread has a clue what its like to be at that level of fame and athletic ability. 

3 minutes ago, The Brow said:

strange comment? haha ok.......

Watson's never been under any real pressure. Pretty easy to sit at home and judge. 

who knows what goes through Serena's head when she's competing. Im not defending it, but im sure that nobody commenting on this thread has a clue what its like to be at that level of fame and athletic ability. 

Heather Watson's been on the circuit for quite a few years now. She has experienced pressure in many matches, and she'll be well aware of how tennis players handle pressure and stress.

43 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Heather Watson's been on the circuit for quite a few years now. She has experienced pressure in many matches, and she'll be well aware of how tennis players handle pressure and stress.

Im sure those many 3rd round defeats were horrifically stressful. 

Ah yes - the mixed doubles win. Pressure. Cooker. 

We clearly dont agree :pizza:

11 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Im sure those many 3rd round defeats were horrifically stressful. 

Ah yes - the mixed doubles win. Pressure. Cooker. 

We clearly dont agree :pizza:

Yes but I'm right because I'm a mother!

(I'm not actually, sorry)

The Real Maroonblood
22 hours ago, The Brow said:

Awful player. 

:cornette_dog:

The White Cockade
23 hours ago, The Brow said:

Awful player. 

does that mean  none of us should be giving our opinions on football / Hearts?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Is the pressure really that much higher the better you are? Is Heather Watson less pumped up in a Wimbledon QF than Serena Williams is in her 31st grand slam final?

• 11 months later...

Well done to the lass, especially as she managed to fight back against the crass and unsporting favouritism displayed by many in the crowd.

31 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Well done to the lass, especially as she managed to fight back against the crass and unsporting favouritism displayed by many in the crowd.

I was expecting the USA chants to start to be honest

The American crowd was very partisan, which was only to be expected, I suppose.  But the commentators were biased too, and they're supposed to be impartial.

And I was irritated to see a member of the Royal Family cheering for an American against an athlete from a Commonwealth country.

I P Knightley
6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

The American crowd was very partisan, which was only to be expected, I suppose.  But the commentators were biased too, and they're supposed to be impartial.

And I was irritated to see a member of the Royal Family cheering for an American against an athlete from a Commonwealth country.

I've been in that stadium when serena was playing (pumpded oot in the semi by the Iain kass whose name escapes me). The crowd was extremely partisan and, from what I could work out, didn't seem to know all that much about tennis. 

Princess Meghan has begun a close friend of Serena's for a long time. I believe Serena was at the wedding. 

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Don't see a problem with a biased home crowd.

Not at all. But cheering double faults committed by a 19 year old in her first grand slam final? There's bias and there's tasteless behaviour.

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Don't see a problem with a biased home crowd.

Nor me. But they were cheering wildly at Bianca's errors, which is poor form, imo

3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I've been in that stadium when serena was playing (pumpded oot in the semi by the Iain kass whose name escapes me). The crowd was extremely partisan and, from what I could work out, didn't seem to know all that much about tennis. 

Princess Meghan has begun a close friend of Serena's for a long time. I believe Serena was at the wedding. 

Yeah. But now that Meghan is a member of the Royal Family one would hope for a little more decorum. She's off my Christmas card list now. :wink:

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

Not at all. But cheering double faults committed by a 19 year old in her first grand slam final? There's bias and there's tasteless behaviour.

If it was Andy in Scotland I'd be worse. :D I'd get launched oot.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

If it was Andy in Scotland I'd be worse. :D I'd get launched oot.

Would you be supporting him or against him?

12 hours ago, redjambo said:

Would you be supporting him or against him?

Always for, unless he starts greetin, and I'll be :whistling:

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Always for, unless he starts greetin, and I'll be :whistling:

Surely as a modern progressive man, you have no problems with men crying, ri?

Williams is suffering from what Federer found a while ago.    Going very deep into majors,  even getting to finals,   but continually being denied when close to another win.     Federer came through that 'bridesmaid' patch to start winning them again.     Incredible resolve and self belief.     Williams has the same problem to overcome.