• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• redjambo

• luckyBatistuta

• John Findlay

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, Cade said:

This entire episode should be about the poor behaviour of a spoiled, petulant, entitled celebrity bully.

Instead, it's been hijacked to be about race and sexism.

Serena is a prick.

:spoton:

10 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I reckon if the same cartoonist had put this up instead, they’d still be focusing on her facial features and claiming it’s racist.

9AC15FFE-8AF1-4406-BE31-C59220AA6F5E.jpeg

:biglaugh:

When I said earlier that it was only the lips that could be construed to have crossed the line, I had been referring to the Rolling Stones logo the cartoonist put on her face.

9 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

How are people still so angry about this? It was almost a week ago. 

It's not the incident itself that seems to be rumbling on, rather the aftermath and turning it into another stick to beat white men with.

Only white people can be caricatured clearly. The National Association of Black journalists seem to suggest so at least.

p.s I am not making this group up, check it out - it is actually an association.

As a side note I despise Serena but yet I am still strangely attracted to her.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

I've the thing going on with my wife. 

13 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Why is the umpires nose so big, long and pointy...is this racist too :facepalm:

I honestly despair with this nonsense.  It is like people look through every single article, TV prog, song, anything just lookign for stuff to spin into _____(insert whatever 'ist' is applicable)_________

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

I've the thing going on with my wife. 

Does your wife look like Serena?  I'll pick your car keys out the bowl my man.

Just now, i8hibsh said:

Does your wife look like Serena?  I'll pick your car keys out the bowl my man.

Nah, if my wife looked like Serena do you think I'd have the balls to post shite like this about her? ?

luckyBatistuta
18 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Only white people can be caricatured clearly. The National Association of Black journalists seem to suggest so at least.

p.s I am not making this group up, check it out - it is actually an association.

:vrwow:

1CA45AB5-8F4B-42C6-8BA9-03533A10E37C.jpeg

luckyBatistuta
18 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I honestly despair with this nonsense.  It is like people look through every single article, TV prog, song, anything just lookign for stuff to spin into _____(insert whatever 'ist' is applicable)_________

Exactly

2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:vrwow:

1CA45AB5-8F4B-42C6-8BA9-03533A10E37C.jpeg

Bad picture and not a fair one.  She scrubs up well and I am really attracted to brown skin on a girl.

luckyBatistuta
Just now, i8hibsh said:

Bad picture and not a fair one.  She scrubs up well and I am really attracted to brown skin on a girl.

You’re right, couldn’t resist, but that is still her.

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

I still wouldn’t fight her 

The punch at an Oilver Reid and George Best party wouldn't be as strong as hers.

15 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

The punch at an Oilver Reid and George Best party wouldn't be as strong as hers.

Aye, only because they're deid. 

30 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Racist.

::troll::

3 minutes ago, peter_hmfc said:

Racist.

::troll::

I am also objectifying women.  Defo a mysogynist too

:gok:

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

I am also objectifying women.  Defo a mysogynist too

:gok:

The good thing is that you are open about it. There's more chance that you can get help now. ;)

22 hours ago, graygo said:

The Herald Sun in Australia is getting battered for showing a caricature of Serena having her meltdown in the US Open last week.

Not for me, pretty good likeness in my opinion and actually quite funny too.

_103381639_d7b9febd-386d-4516-b3e8-5c6553cd0a40.jpg

This popped up on Facepuss so I just thought I would post it to show that other cartoonists have portrayed Serena. For some unknown reason I cannot recollect these being slammed in a similar fashion to the recent US Open one.

41562930_905007639696568_1703378317287096320_n.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serena_(name)

"Serena is a feminine given name. It is derived from the Latin word serēnus, meaning "clear, tranquil, serene"."

:levein_interesting:

(And yes I8, I did Google it to confirm what I was pretty sure was the case. Sorry if any offence caused by this!   :thumbsup:   )

The White Cockade
On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 22:28, Ulysses said:

Some people felt that bias of some description was drawn into the cartoon.  I'm aware of course that people are notoriously bad at noticing what they are reading into a drawing, and therefore assume that what they interpret is caused by the person who does the drawing.  But I'm also conscious of the fact that I encountered a unanimous view of this particular cartoon, when normally I'm used to these people having differing views on subjects.

When I saw the drawing first, I didn't really think anything of it.  But......

If I look at the cartoon again, as dispassionately as I can, the representation of Serena Williams isn't actually a caricature of her.  It simply doesn't look like her, not even in exaggerated form.

caricatures are never accurate representations but it's not way off the mark

merlin_143479437_43a6cdc7-c6a5-406b-b707

8 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

caricatures are never accurate representations but it's not way off the mark

merlin_143479437_43a6cdc7-c6a5-406b-b707

I agree, to say its not likeness is daft, if you showed 1000 people the cartoon who were aware of women's tennis of the last 10 years, how many would say it was Serina Williams? I'm betting a huge preportion. 

4 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I agree, to say its not likeness is daft, if you showed 1000 people the cartoon who were aware of women's tennis of the last 10 years, how many would say it was Serina Williams? I'm betting a huge preportion. 

It's more like a blacked-up Mick Jagger.

11 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's obvious because there are very few black tennis players and the frizzy hair is distinctive. The big red lips used in the cartoon are nothing like Williams'. They're probably what most people are objecting to as they look like something you would have seen in Jim Crow era cartoons.

2 hours ago, Stokesy said:

It's obvious because there are very few black tennis players and the frizzy hair is distinctive. The big red lips used in the cartoon are nothing like Williams'. They're probably what most people are objecting to as they look like something you would have seen in Jim Crow era cartoons.

So it's obvious it's her then, I think the lips have been caricatured as much as the hair and her actions because it's a cartoon. 

Extremely racist.

All the white folk in the front rows of the crowd have been reduced to being featureless, genderless ghost faces deserving of little more than a single pencil stroke.

11 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Womens tennis is all about screaming every time they hit a ball, such a carry on , even some

blokes now giving it big moans, weird behaviour.

Can't watch it. 

28 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Can't watch it. 

I never missed it , but now not interested, imagine golfers giving it big moans at a drive, no difference .

at force used on impact .

3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

I never missed it , but now not interested, imagine golfers giving it big moans at a drive, no difference .

I watched about 5 minutes of Wimbledon, when I never used to miss it. 

13 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

They're completely different. For a start the time of impact is much longer in tennis (almost 5 times as long), you also have to 'return' the shot, whereas in golf you're striking a stationary ball. 

Someone needs a physics higher. 

1 minute ago, The Brow said:

They're completely different. For a start the time of impact is much longer in tennis (almost 5 times as long), you also have to 'return' the shot, whereas in golf you're striking a stationary ball. 

Aye, that's it. 

32 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Ok back to school it is, 

47 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Folk moaning at women players’ noise is soooo Express letters page 

No, they're just shite. Come to think of it, are women any good any sport. As in could the No 1 woman beat the number 1 Man at any sport. Nope. 

Her behaviour was disgraceful, embaressing, IMO she got off very lightly. Her fellow professionals, I wonder what they really think, i would doubt any of them really support her behaviour.

On the day she was well beaten by a better tennis player.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

No, they're just shite. Come to think of it, are women any good any sport. As in could the No 1 woman beat the number 1 Man at any sport. Nope. 

Synchronised swimming. 

Chill out man, you're coming across very bitter with your lot. 

1 hour ago, The Brow said:

Synchronised swimming. 

Chill out man, you're coming across very bitter with your lot. 

Synchronised swimming isn't a proper sport though, it's just team dancing in water.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Eight whole days now since this incident and folk are still thrashing around in a swamp of seethe about just women athletes in general now. Makes you wonder tbh.