Steven Naismith - Legend in Waiting?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

17 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Yes. Defo one. Have shared it with a few folk a few months ago but from what I hear (Just rumours though as don't know anyone else in the other club) that it's 2 clubs. One down south wants to get him too and has cash to splash. If he wants to stay well paid then it won't be us put it that way.

Cheers

I'm guessing, the only clubs it could be:

Rangers

Killie

Aberdeen

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• maroonnicky63

• Bongo 1874

• Bazzas right boot

portobellojambo1
14 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Yes. Defo one. Have shared it with a few folk a few months ago but from what I hear (Just rumours though as don't know anyone else in the other club) that it's 2 clubs. One down south wants to get him too and has cash to splash. If he wants to stay well paid then it won't be us put it that way.

Like Cristophe Berra money ain't a problem for Steven Naismith, he is made for life due to some very wise property investments (predominantly in the Stewarton area of Ayrshire). I'm guessing that one of the clubs you have heard mentioned is Rangers, but I suspect that if a deal isn't sorted out for him to stay and go into coaching after finishing playing, then rather than remaining at HMFC he is more likely to end up back at Kilmarnock (he is building a new home just north of Kilmarnock at the moment I believe, read that somewhere but I'm buggered if I can remember where).

Automatically ruling Celtic out.....

The only club realistically interested who would be in a position to pay more than us in Scotland is Rangers. Aberdeen are in the same ball park as us....I doubt he’d move there anyway.

Killie are a threat but it won’t be for money if he chooses them over us.

i think SN is a guy with principles, morals and loyalty and I think he’ll stay.

Hasn’t he said recently in an interview that he’d be raging if Levein didn’t offer him a new contract? Not really had any doubts about him leaving to be honest feel like he’s really bought into the project currently ongoing at the club and wouldn’t be surprised for him to finish his career with us

Bazzas right boot

If he's not signed a pre contract with us by the end of the month then I'll take  it he's leaving. 

There is no reason not to commit to us unless he's thinking of elsewhere. 

If he stays, given his style of play he'll be a top player for easily another 4 years. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

If he's not signed a pre contract with us by the end of the month then I'll take  it he's leaving. 

There is no reason not to commit to us unless he's thinking of elsewhere. 

If he stays, given his style of play he'll be a top player for easily another 4 years. 

Disagree. Some just take their time 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Disagree. Some just take their time 

Maybe. 

But he's had a year  to think about it. 

If he doesn't want to be with us now, not sure why he would in 3 months. 

If he doesn't sign within a month , I reckon he's off somewhere else. He'll already know his options, he's been with us a year, no reason not to sign with us- unless he doesn't want to. Imo. 

Hopefully signs either now or later but if we're his option I'd exoect something very soon. 

Just now, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Maybe. 

If he doesn't sign within a month , I reckon he's off somewhere else. He'll already know his options, he's been with us a year, no reason not to sign with us- unless he doesn't want to. Imo. 

Hopefully signs either now or later but if we're his option I'd exoect something very soon. 

From a recent interview he said he'd always fancied playing abroad so he could wait to see if any interesting offers come in. Seems fair enough.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
51 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Maybe. 

I feel calm about it. Think he has a bit of happiness and job satisfaction 

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I feel calm about it. Think he has a bit of happiness and job satisfaction 

Me too, Hope so, and if that's the case he'll sign?

Obviously would be upset if he doesn’t say on, but at this point I’m just going enjoy the next few months with him. One of the best players I’ve ever seen play for Hearts and if not for his injury in October I reckon we could have seriously challenged for the league. If he signs I’ll be delighted but I just hope we can push on in the second half of the season with him and try and go all out for the cup. 

2 hours ago, El Diez said:

Delighted this ‘info’ has came from Chester, tbh.

?

How come? I know CC about as well as I do your good self... Always thought you both seemed pretty upright on Hearts info.

If Naismith wants to hit his targets with the national team staying here would make sense. If he goes abroad it will be a money move more than likely to a 'retirement league'. Can see Sunderland wanting him because Jack Ross appears to have a scouting network that would make Neil Lennon cringe. The huns might want him because they don't like other clubs having nice things, but I think that would be a risk (much like Lafferty), if he wants his caps to hit 50, I'd hope he would consider doing it here where he can achieve all of that and help push on youngsters like Cochrane & McDonald. 

pettigrewsstylist

Doubt he is going to decide before end of season as is his perogative. Think we should just let it lie tbh and concentrate on rest of season performance. He is clearly tempted by one last move abroad and will wait to see who might be interested come summer. 

11 minutes ago, Barack said:

If I was a percentages man...I'd say it's 60/40 in favour of him leaving. The mentioning of his kids, and the experiences they could have, have tipped it slightly for me.

Won't begrudge him if he does go.

Knew it.

Doomonger.

The Apprentice
29 minutes ago, Barack said:

One things for sure. If he does leave you can’t say we’ve not tried our utmost to keep him. Quite clear from his quotes that he has a very good set up with us.

I reckon he’s tempted by a move abroad and could wait to see what materialises there. 

Reading that article it looks like we have tried everything to make him stay.  Hopefully he decides to stay with us but if he wants to move abroad for a new experience I won't hold it against him, he's been excellent for us so I would wish him well (if he's going abroad). 

I can't see him moving to another Scottish club now. 

I’ve been resigned to losing him since the start of the season.  If he’s not a Rangers player come July, I’ll eat my own arse.  I love him to bits, but the pull of the club he supports, money and the fact that we seem to be quite shite at negotiating (even when it’s on a plate for us) will no doubt win over.

Love him to bits and arguably one of the most talented players we’ve ever had. If he doesn’t stay, I hope he signs for a European club. Just not a Scottish one! 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
59 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Hearts or an American club 

Life opportunity for his kids. Hard to grumble about that. 

I like the guy a lot enormous respect for his thought process 

58 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Hearts or Killie I reckon 

I see Killie are going to replace their artificial turf with the real thing.....that is another tick in the box if they are indeed an option for Naismith.

4 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

Absolutely.  Money and lifestyle over there makes me jittery about him staying tbh. Will come down to family

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

4 hours ago, Thought Police said:

Anyone but Rangers for me. I think it’s unlikely he’ll stay so I’ll enjoy him while I can

3 hours ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Hearts or Killie I reckon 

I reckon Hearts  or another club. 

If he's even thinking about America, he'll be gone. 

Stuck with, if he's not signed with  by the end of this month, he's away. 

Him and Djoum away, would make Charlie Adam more Likley in the summer imo. 

7 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

I seem to remember that his Mrs was keen to return to Scotland. Hopefully this is right.. 

Don’t know if anyone else has see this and it may already have came up as I haven’t read all of this thread yet 

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/969710822?-43849:821

I hope and pray that we get him signed 

As the Op states he is absolutely class and it’s only an idiot who would think this is a done deal - other sides will want him full stop - not just for his football ability but what he brings to the dressing room 

here’s the facts imo 

we have treated him the best that we possibly could have and left ourselves the best opportunity to sign him - naisy recognises this 

his kids are obviously really important to him - interesting he mentions that a few years in their life is nothing but for him and his wife it is massive - for me he hasn’t decided yet whether to go abroad for a final fling or stay in Scotland (I think this is the crux of his hesitation)

domestically and if he stays I would be inclined to believe that he will want to stay in Scotland - I don’t think uprooting his kids and their schooling for another stint in England is high on his agenda - I don’t think financial consideration is that high on his list so that would eliminate England (could be wrong) 

I worry about sevco - they are a thieving mutant shower of shite who have a history of going in for our best players - Mclaren, McCann, Weir, McPherson, Walker (although he didn’t go), etc - wouldn’t surprise me if they done the same with Naismith at the end of the season however I still think he would consider us  

bigger worry than him him going to another team in Scotland than us (I don’t necessarily think he will do this) is an offer from abroad or the MLS - I think this is what he is holding out for but we will see 

everyone says offer him what he wants - I agree with this but as said, I don’t think it’s all financial - he has every right to keep things open and that is what he is doing - I was much more confident of signing him at the start of the season as opposed to now 

I pray we get him - absolutely agree with the op - he is a masterclass and we are lucky to have him - I don’t think anyone can criticise what we haven’t done to keep hold of him as it is apparent to me that everyone at the club from CL to AB is doing everything they can and more 

Sounds like he's wanting his kids to be able to settle down properly now - school etc. Going off to America for a year or two doesn't really tie in with that. The MLS is across the entire country which would be like playing in some sort of shitty European super league. If he's talking about little things hearts do like letting him do his recovery at home I don't think him moving to the states would suit what he's looking for, he could be playing in NYC one week then LA the next, doesn't seem compatible with a young family. 

Whatever he decides, I'm sure will be well thought out. I just personally would be sickened if he went back to Glasgow. He's a key player here and the difference he could make to Cochrane and the other youngsters on the park and in training could be tremendous. He's also pretty much guaranteed a start which means he'll be in contention for a place in the national team for at least the next 12 months. If he wants his 50 caps he needs to guarantee first team football.