Steven Naismith - Legend in Waiting?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

37 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He will still be among the best player in the SPFL when he is 36. 

Folk are on about Rangers coming in, to be honest I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if Celtic came in.

We’re going to have to do absolutely everything to keep him at Hearts. He can be an iconic player if we can keep him 

Be amazed if he chose Celtic but Rangers he will walk to Ibrox to get back to them

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• maroonnicky63

• Bongo 1874

• Bazzas right boot

Easy solution to this offer Norwich 100k for him then all that would need to be done is personal terms etc 3 year deal sorted u can still sign players outwith the transfer window the deal doesn't go through until the 1st of January 

4 hours ago, maroonnicky63 said:

As a kid yes you can have pipe dreams but I don't believe for a minute that you actually think Hearts will win the league this season. Celtic are no great shakes I grant you but when they need to win they do,as hard as it is for me to say they have a stronger squad. What happens if Naismith gets injured who can come on of that quality and play in his position ? Who can come on as cover for Soapy if he gets injured ? it's not a team that wins the league it's the squad , sorry Colin I can't see it at all

To be without hope is sad!

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Easy solution to this offer Norwich 100k for him then all that would need to be done is personal terms etc 3 year deal sorted u can still sign players outwith the transfer window the deal doesn't go through until the 1st of January 

Not sure if Naismith would give up well over a million pounds in wages etc to sign up in January unfortunately. We just have to do everything we can to persuade him to sign a pre contract with us 6 mo this before his contract expires to ward off other clubs.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not sure if Naismith would give up well over a million pounds in wages etc to sign up in January unfortunately. We just have to do everything we can to persuade him to sign a pre contract with us 6 mo this before his contract expires to ward off other clubs.

Much like my confidence throughout the Demi thread I have the same optimistic outlook here. It's a very good fit.

People should sit up and notice. Heart of Midlothian are moving forwards apace 

44 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

To be without hope is sad!

Nothing to do with hope Colin if it is then perhaps you have false hope,if it is then ok  I hope Hearts win the league title this season but I don't think they will , we are still a relatively new team this season and to ask them to win the league this season is madness ,especially with the resources that the Glasgow sides have over us, but lets wait and see

29 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Much like my confidence throughout the Demi thread I have the same optimistic outlook here. It's a very good fit.

People should sit up and notice. Heart of Midlothian are moving forwards apace 

I think people do realise that to be fare especially with the all the new signing but with it comes much higher expectations ie thinking we can win the league this season , once the bubble burst on that one there will be no room on here for any sentiment at all. I will happy with top 4 so I will be fine but the once going on about the title will run and hide you just wait

20 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Nothing to do with hope Colin if it is then perhaps you have false hope,if it is then ok  I hope Hearts win the league title this season but I don't think they will , we are still a relatively new team this season and to ask them to win the league this season is madness ,especially with the resources that the Glasgow sides have over us, but lets wait and see

You see, it's your extreme language, like "madness!"

It's highly unlikely but it's not "madness."  

After the opening we had to 1985-86 season, it was really "madness" to think we would get anywhere near the title or the Cup.  We had shipped 6 against St Mirren, how that hurt us in the end, poor start to season, including crucially a 96th minute equaliser by Celtic right at the start - and yet, we were there at the end.

Beyond hope in September!!!

2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Easy as that eh?

Thank buggery for that, there was me thinking that agreeing personal terms with a guy who is used to earning £40k a week and knows he can still earn a 5 figure weekly wage at the OF, might have a sticking point or two

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

True worth a try but heard we were close to signing him permanently last year then Norwich pulled out last minute and gave him on loan to us instead.

6 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Easy as that eh?

Thank buggery for that, there was me thinking that agreeing personal terms with a guy who is used to earning £40k a week and knows he can still earn a 5 figure weekly wage at the OF, might have a sticking point or two

That depends if they want him or not?  

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

That depends if they want him or not?  

If he keeps playing as he is on current form, Celtic will probably want him, possibly not

Rangers will be choking to sign him.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, maroonnicky63 said:

I think people do realise that to be fare especially with the all the new signing but with it comes much higher expectations ie thinking we can win the league this season , once the bubble burst on that one there will be no room on here for any sentiment at all. I will happy with top 4 so I will be fine but the once going on about the title will run and hide you just wait

Its a far bigger picture for me Nicky. Winning the league is happy talk, not something I would put much more than a pound or 2 on for fun on the very outside chance. But we are growing the club and I think its getting to be a far more attractive proposition to join than some of our own fans give credit for. All about growth, you can control that, you cant control what Celtic or Rangers will do

18 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

If he keeps playing as he is on current form, Celtic will probably want him, possibly not

Rangers will be choking to sign him.

No way he will go to celtic thats fantasy talk that would make rangers fans hate him more than they already do he is not stupid realistically the only clubs he would be interested in would be us and rangers he isn't interested in the money aspect of it he has made plenty in his career and has invested wisely now is our chance to give him an offer he can't refuse such as highest earner and future coaching role.

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No way he will go to celtic thats fantasy talk that would make rangers fans hate him more than they already do he is not stupid realistically the only clubs he would be interested in would be us and rangers he isn't interested in the money aspect of it he has made plenty in his career and has invested wisely now is our chance to give him an offer he can't refuse such as highest earner and future coaching role.

If Celtic offered him big £15k or £20k a week wages on a 2 or 3 year deal, he would have a decision to make. They are another planet financially from both Hearts and Rangers at this moment in time. It would be the sort of thing they’d do just to try and stop Rangers from getting him. 

What would he care if Rangers fans hate him. Lots of fans hate lots of players, it’s just part of the game for a professional player. The Rangers fans are bitter toward him, ultimately he didn’t want to be a 4th division player and that’s that. Kenny Miller played for both arse cheeks, would not surprise me one bit if Naismith ended up doing the same. He is a very professional guy and walks into the current Celtic team ahead of Griffiths, as he did with Scotland. 

From our point of view, you’re  right - break the bank and offer as much as we possibly can because if we can keep him he can be a massive player for us. 

10 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

If Celtic offered him big £15k or £20k a week wages on a 2 or 3 year deal, he would have a decision to make. They are another planet financially from both Hearts and Rangers at this moment in time. It would be the sort of thing they’d do just to try and stop Rangers from getting him. 

What would he care if Rangers fans hate him. Lots of fans hate lots of players, it’s just part of the game for a professional player. The Rangers fans are bitter toward him, ultimately he didn’t want to be a 4th division player and that’s that. Kenny Miller played for both arse cheeks, would not surprise me one bit if Naismith ended up doing the same. He is a very professional guy and walks into the current Celtic team ahead of Griffiths, as he did with Scotland. 

From our point of view, you’re  right - break the bank and offer as much as we possibly can because if we can keep him he can be a massive player for us. 

We will just need to wait and see personally can't see him joining celtic but might be wrong.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

We will just need to wait and see personally can't see him joining celtic but might be wrong.

I can't really see it either, but he is in that class of player - he is the best attacking player in the country at the time of writing.

A lot of Hearts fans do not understand how fortunate we are to have him. He is way way above the type of quality we should be able to afford and Craig Levein has done one hell of a job not just getting him here but also getting his career back on track. He looks back to his best Everton form, full of confidence and guile. 

36 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Christ, I'm out of breath after reading that?

Apologies if already mentioned and I missed it but saw Everton tweet that on this day 3 years ago he scored a perfect hattrick against Chelsea. Nice to see the comments below about him. They still adore him for his work ethic and the what he did for the community with his charitable work.

11 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I can't really see it either, but he is in that class of player - he is the best attacking player in the country at the time of writing.

A lot of Hearts fans do not understand how fortunate we are to have him. He is way way above the type of quality we should be able to afford and Craig Levein has done one hell of a job not just getting him here but also getting his career back on track. He looks back to his best Everton form, full of confidence and guile. 

Agree with that but celtic play the likes of rogic ntcam mcgregor all young players with sell on value not saying he wouldn't walk into the celtic team but don't think they would guarantee him game time there where as he would at rangers and us.

Edited by Bongo 1874

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

True worth a try but heard we were close to signing him permanently last year then Norwich pulled out last minute and gave him on loan to us instead.

It’s all about his contract really, they would need to pay him off. They’ve overhauled their squad in the last two years as their parachute payments have ended, they did get a decent fee for James Maddison off Leicester though.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, chizinho21 said:

Apologies if already mentioned and I missed it but saw Everton tweet that on this day 3 years ago he scored a perfect hattrick against Chelsea. Nice to see the comments below about him. They still adore him for his work ethic and the what he did for the community with his charitable work.

Mourinho was thinking off buying him too apparently, so much quality and an on field general too. Announce a three 1/2 year deal as soon as humanly possible please.

6 hours ago, maroonnicky63 said:

He is 31,who in there right mind would offer a 5 year deal at his age. Keep him yes and give him a decent offer but never 5 years IMO

5 year player/coach contract which is heavy on appearance-based fees (like Hughes') on the tail end and a fixed minimum transfer fee for each window.

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Its a far bigger picture for me Nicky. Winning the league is happy talk, not something I would put much more than a pound or 2 on for fun on the very outside chance. But we are growing the club and I think its getting to be a far more attractive proposition to join than some of our own fans give credit for. All about growth, you can control that, you cant control what Celtic or Rangers will do

could't put it better myself , well said

7 hours ago, maroonnicky63 said:

yes entitled to dream Smithee nothing wrong with that mate but it's not for me.I think Levein has built a good team for this season but they are no where near ready to win this league.

At best I would think third and that would be a good season for us, you know as well as I do if soapy carries on in the form he is in he will be away especially breaking into the full national side but hopefully he will go down south not to any of the Glasgow sides.

Just my option mate and if I am wrong I will be delighted believe me, we always have decent chats though ,here's hoping your dream comes true

Rangers

Celtic

Hearts

Hibs

Aberdeen

cheers

Whilst I certainly don’t feel the same; I can kind of see your point about not wanting to dream. 

However, surely you’re not saying that there is no chance of us winning the league then stating that you think Rangers will. There has been absolutely nothing shown from Rangers so far in the league this season to say they are anywhere near good enough to get close to Celtic. 

2 minutes ago, Morgaro Gomis said:

Whilst I certainly don’t feel the same; I can kind of see your point about not wanting to dream. 

However, surely you’re not saying that there is no chance of us winning the league then stating that you think Rangers will. There has been absolutely nothing shown from Rangers so far in the league this season to say they are anywhere near good enough to get close to Celtic. 

Agree with this. If Rangers can win the league we certainly can. We have a much better manager and coaching setup in general and while they have spent a lot more money on their players, we have obviously signed good players who can perform as a good unit, and we definitely seem to have a deeper squad than Rangers. Rangers spend more money, but not on drastically better players and often on worse. Naismith and Berra are better than Lafferty and McAuley for example. It's not like they're buying current Dutch, German and English internationals any more. They're paying over the odds for Albanian and Canadian internationals these days.

20 hours ago, Morgaro Gomis said:

Yes that's what I am saying 'no chance' as for Rangers I think they have shown that Gerrard is capable of building a decent team as Levein has,I just think with the 10 in a row looming I believe that if push comes to shove in the open windows Rangers will spend money that they can't afford but Levein wont ( rightly so)I also feel the Rangers players arguably will handle the pressure better due to a more experienced players. Berra is a huge loss as well but in saying that I still don't think even with him that we would win this league. cheers

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I think Rangers hopes of winning the league disappeared when they qualified for the Europa League.

Not sure they are equipped to cope with both, plus domestic cups

Bazzas right boot
On 11/09/2018 at 13:13, maroonnicky63 said:

oh dear, you keep on believing that and give me a shout when you waken up. Would love to see that but no chance at all, the Glasgow press would not let it happen

They got a good team, like? 

Bazzas right boot
On 12/09/2018 at 11:13, maroonnicky63 said:

yes entitled to dream Smithee nothing wrong with that mate but it's not for me.I think Levein has built a good team for this season but they are no where near ready to win this league.

At best I would think third and that would be a good season for us, you know as well as I do if soapy carries on in the form he is in he will be away especially breaking into the full national side but hopefully he will go down south not to any of the Glasgow sides.

Just my option mate and if I am wrong I will be delighted believe me, we always have decent chats though ,here's hoping your dream comes true

Rangers

Celtic

Hearts

Hibs

Aberdeen

cheers

Your logic is sound until you say not Hearts, but then pick Rangers as champions? 

Makes no sense, ranger's aren't that much better than us, if at all based on current showing. 

Celtic, one would expect will get it together and be very strong, not sure why anyone would think rangers have a better chance than us at challenging Celtic. 

Naismith, if money is his motivator, will not be with us next season, he'll get offers. 

If it's not all about the money, we are in the driving seat--one would think, depends on what he wants and prioritises, tho. 

Bazzas right boot
On 12/09/2018 at 15:29, Sir Gio said:

Spot on, we are growing from an acorn to a mighty oak. 

Always the plan, we will hopefully start to see the signs of this growth on the park now. 

Think if Robbie had stayed, we'd have seen it last year. unfortunately, Cathro set us back 1 year on the playing front. 

Been the plan since "budgement day" over 5 year ago. 

Bazzas right boot
On 11/09/2018 at 12:19, Sarah O said:

every single person connected to the club season 18/19 will be a legend.

Each one of them playing a part in us becoming league champions of Scotland.

It’s coming home. 

Bit negative there. 

League and lc double. 

Jobs a good un'. 

Celtic for the Scottish unfortunately, keep Rogers in a job. 

2 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Your logic is sound until you say not Hearts, but then pick Rangers as champions? 

Makes no sense, ranger's aren't that much better than us, if at all based on current showing. 

Celtic, one would expect will get it together and be very strong, not sure why anyone would think rangers have a better chance than us at challenging Celtic. 

Naismith, if money is his motivator, will not be with us next season, he'll get offers. 

If it's not all about the money, we are in the driving seat--one would think, depends on what he wants and prioritises, tho. 

well lets just wait and see then

avhudtheteeshirt

Liked what Levein had to say on tonight's news, that they were waiting to talk to Naismith about signing and he felt that Naismith knew we wanted to keep him, but at the moment he is still a Norwich player.

Not to decry anyone but personally I feel the word "Legend" is a bit strong for someone who isn't actually our player. To me a club "Legend" is someone that's lives and breathes any given club, that wouldn't leave for another team unless a remarkable circumstance or opportunity. 

He's an exceptional player, absolutely but I for one am not convinced he wouldn't necessarily leave for another team at our level for an extra few thousand a week, like your Aberdeens or your lower echelon English Championship sides. 

But hey, that's a subjective opinion and I'm just happy he is here in the now.

queensferryjambo

He has scored the winner in a derby already and having a magnificent start to this season.

He might not make legend status but cult hero status is on the cards. 

Win a trophy of any sorts and legend status might also be on the cards.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
3 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

He has scored the winner in a derby already and having a magnificent start to this season.

He might not make legend status but cult hero status is on the cards. 

Win a trophy of any sorts and legend status might also be on the cards.

Signs an extension then I think he will be. Unlikely but not impossible.

queensferryjambo
4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Signs an extension then I think he will be. Unlikely but not impossible.

He seems to love it at Hearts. I never thought we would get him back for this season.

I think he might be here a few seasons. I really hope so anyway. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, queensferryjambo said:

He seems to love it at Hearts. I never thought we would get him back for this season.

I think he might be here a few seasons. I really hope so anyway. 

Loan or no loan.  He is living and breathing Hearts. A player reborn. 

Again it's in waiting but I agree with you he will be with us for some time and will be viewed as a legend by the time he is finished 

• 1 month later...
On 13/09/2018 at 09:59, maroonnicky63 said:

Yes that's what I am saying 'no chance' as for Rangers I think they have shown that Gerrard is capable of building a decent team as Levein has,I just think with the 10 in a row looming I believe that if push comes to shove in the open windows Rangers will spend money that they can't afford but Levein wont ( rightly so)I also feel the Rangers players arguably will handle the pressure better due to a more experienced players. Berra is a huge loss as well but in saying that I still don't think even with him that we would win this league. cheers

The thing about Rangers trying to spend their way into a title in the break is that they've already stretched themselves to get Gerrard and their current squad, plus they just lost a court case to Sports Direct.

But more importantly, the global football market is leaving Rangers and Celtic behind. The kind of cash they can splash now just doesn't land the can't-miss prospects it used to, and Gerrard is going into his first January window as a manager. It's tough to get good signings in the summer (where they spent £2m just to get the likes of Grezda, who's done FA for them), it's three times as hard in January.

Rangers may get a player or two, but they won't have a signing as good as Berra coming in, whom we have coming back into a currently table-topping side. I'm not saying we'll win the league, but yes, I think we have a better shot of it than the Huns.

Didn't like him when he played against us as he usually scored,but love him now. Stevie if you are reading this please stay and become a legend.

I’m of the mindset that let’s just see how far he (and others) can take us this season, and if it’s as good as we are all hoping for then we will be in a strong position to make an offer. That being said it’s inevitable that his performances will not be going unnoticed by other clubs. Either way, live in the moment ?

Reckon he will keep his options open come January if we could get him tied up with two going out and two in the title is very realistic.

WheatfieldWarrior
On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 09:57, gorgie rools said:

He won't go to rangers as Gerrard doesn't like him. Fell out when he was at Everton apparently 

Gerrard's going to be there for how long?

Could become a legend. Certainly one of the best players to ever wear a Hearts jersey.

If we win anything this season, Naisy will be one of or probably the main reason, a bit like Rudi in that respect. 

Look at Steven MacLean, he’s 35/36 and is still a good player at this level. Naisy is only 32, so he’ll be good for another 3 or 4 years yet.

I think we can offer him that long term security but we’d still have to be throwing 6 grand a week minimum at him. Worth it though. Our Cruyff, his influence and intelligence on the pitch is undeniable.