Steven Naismith - Legend in Waiting?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

2 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

I said dream not believe................anyway my point about you and parties definitely seems to be correct. 

I dreamed before at tyncastle against Kilmarnock and then Dundee at dens park and my dreams were shattered so stop talking nonsense

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• maroonnicky63

• Bongo 1874

• Bazzas right boot

2 hours ago, Sarah O said:

What's the point in turning up week after week m9?

don't know what m9 means but it's because I love supporting Hearts it gets in your blood but I know we haven't got the resources to win a title but we have every chance of winning a cup

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Would be a very dull forum if we were not willing to speculate or express our happy thoughts every now and then.

I don't often, only when I am very confident.

I am very confident.

ok 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

I dreamed before at tyncastle against Kilmarnock and then Dundee at dens park and my dreams were shattered so stop talking nonsense

That's quite sad in the proper sense. It's the hope that kills you but I'd rather have a dream to come true no matter the pain 

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

That's quite sad in the proper sense. It's the hope that kills you but I'd rather have a dream to come true no matter the pain 

Giving my age away really .Nothing wrong in having a dream i suppose , hope it comes true but you and I know it is just a dream and if that's what you want to do then it's ok. A cup this year would be good for me and that's not a dream, it is possible as we have proved before

Lord Beni of Gorgie
26 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Giving my age away really .Nothing wrong in having a dream i suppose , hope it comes true but you and I know it is just a dream and if that's what you want to do then it's ok. A cup this year would be good for me and that's not a dream, it is possible as we have proved before

Leicester City probably thought the same.  For most you are right it will never happen but living the dream is the dream 

1 minute ago, graygo said:

I can't imagine following this club and not allowing myself to dream now and again, must be shite supporting us if you can't do that.

Every year I'm convinced this is our year. I don't care how often I'm wrong, one day I'll be right!

9 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

One of the best players I have ever seen in a Hearts jersey in the 55 plus years I have been following the Hearts.

His ability, workrate and influence both on and off the park make him by far our most important player at this point in time. 

Plus the fact that he is a genuine, decent bloke who raised a lot of money for charity. 

We are fortunate to have him at our club and it was superb work by Budge and Levein to get him. 

I am not concerned that he will end up at Sevco. I think he has found a new spiritual home at Tynecastle.

The above post from Sir Geo is very encouraging.  His family supporting the Hearts suggests to me this is more than a job for him.

1 hour ago, maroonnicky63 said:

So did I and to that you can add season 1958-59, when at half-time, we were winning the league and by 90 minutes, we'd lost it.

But then, as a kid I dreamed we would win it in 57-58 and in 59-60!

don't know what m9 means but it's because I love supporting Hearts it gets in your blood but I know we haven't got the resources to win a title but we have every chance of winning a cup

But has the opposition ever been weaker?  Can't see any Laudrops or Gascoignes or Larssons kicking around.

We have come close to winning the title several times in my lifetime and on each occasion our resources were no match for the OF.

Winning the title is a clear possibility imo, especially with the way this side is shaping up.

If he can turn the likes of Cochrane, McDonald, Brandon, Godinho, Morrison etc. into multi million pound players then he's a legend in my book. they're already quality but Naismiths ability and experience could add much more onto their games.

The proof is in the pudding, and I reckon we'll see come January what Naismith does. If he signs a precontract with us happy days. If not he's heading west (MacGregor and lafferty did the same walking away).

4 hours ago, maroonnicky63 said:

you want me to believe in something that wont happen , ok then

How no? All we have to do is win all of our remaining games. It really is that simple. Unlikely to happen I grant you but why not believe it? I remember nearly cracking one off every time I looked at the league table during Burleys tenure.

10 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

It was good to see all of his family at the St Mirren match, with one of his girls wearing a Hearts top with Daddy 14 on the back.

I didn't know this, that is excellent and very encouraging. Says a lot about how happy he is, good stuff.

Love him so. Top man. And he won't get the opportunity endear himself as much to others as he can here at this stage in his career. Does he still do his wages charity thing?

I am too new to Hearts to remember watching Levein in his prime, and their positions are completely different, but I do wonder if one of the reasons he's doing so well at the moment is that Levein and Naismith ultimately see the game the same way. Off the pitch, serve the community, share your wealth, nurture younger players.  On the pitch, give nothing easy, get in the faces of your opponents, and keep belief in your side regardless of the opponent.

Naismith has now twice managed to negotiate a loan to Hearts on favorable terms for us, both happening after Levein came down to the touchline. I have to wonder if he didn't have fond memories of Levein's time at Hampden and want to get playing time with a manager who valued who he was and what he brought.

Regardless, what a player to have right now.

Parts of this thread have inspired me to slag off my three year old daughter and laugh at her the next time she mentions Santa.

Just now, Bez said:

Parts of this thread have inspired me to slag off my three year old daughter and laugh at her the next time she mentions Santa.

Poor parenting skills, that should be done at 2 years old.

He'll have options and no doubt Rangers will be in for him, but if his plan really is to stay in Scotland I'd be really hopeful he'd be fairly easy to deal with financially and we can get him on a 2 year contract and help him develop as a coach too. 31 is no age, especially when you look at how well Steven McLean is doing for us at 36.

Just now, graygo said:

Poor parenting skills, that should be done at 2 years old.

Was too busy opening her eyes to the fact that we all die one day. Can’t have her blissfully going through life all happy and optimistic.

He’s got a good thing going here. I doubt he needs a move for the money now and he’s back in contention for Scotland.

Makes sense for him to stay here away from the crap in the West and enjoy his last 3-5 years at the top level and cement his legendary status here.

12 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

No , we've paid Norwich a fee to have naismith for the whole season ! A do know there's plans to talk about a pre contract in January 

Indeed & he will sign.

12 hours ago, gorgie rools said:

He won't go to rangers as Gerrard doesn't like him. Fell out when he was at Everton apparently 

Is that definitely right? I remember Gerrard going in two footed on Gary Naysmith in a Liverpool derby and there being a bit of a hooha about it, but I don't remember anything between him and Steven Naismith. 

Glamorgan Jambo

If you'd asked me at the time of the league split last season I'd not have been that bothered if we couldn't get him here for another season.

However he showed in the games after the split the skill, leadership and frankly the bit of edge that he's added to the team. 20:20 hindsight shows he was short of fitness and match sharpness and he's really having a fantastic season so far which is down to his work ethic which is obvious to all.

No doubt as with Lafferty should whoever is in the hot seat at Ibrox offer a contract to Naismith it will be very tempting for him. Long way to go between now and then and let's hope he and the team can keep up the great start to the season, then we'll have a chance of some silverware. Then he'd be in with a great chance of becoming a legend.

Can't help thinking the stability and leadership around the club just now will appeal to him.

12 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I don't know the guy personally, so am not ITK in any way, but I don't think the lure of sevco will be anything like as strong for Naismith as it was for Lafferty.  I don't think Naismith is quite the 'dyed in the wool' rangers supporter Lafferty is, and I think Naismith is far, far better off financially, as firstly, he'll have earned a hell of a lot more money (£20-25 million by my very rough estimate) over his career, and secondly he seems to have been far more sensible with his money!  If money was a significant factor for him these days, I'm sure he'd still be at Norwich, on full pay but never getting a game!

So I think his choice of what to do next season and beyond will simply be down to what he thinks he'll enjoy most, and what's best for his family.  He seems to be rejuvenated this season playing for us, we seem to be very much heading in the right direction as a club and a team, he's back in the Scotland squad/team and almost certainly in the squad to stay for a good while, so there's no need to move to sevco for that, and therefore I don't see any major draw from sevco on the playing side.  Finally, if he went back there, it exposes his young children to life in the 'old firm goldfish bowl'.  I'm not sure he'd want that for his kids.

So, I'm very confident that he'll be at Hearts next season and beyond on a long-term contract!

£20m to £25m???!!

23 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Is that definitely right? I remember Gerrard going in two footed on Gary Naysmith in a Liverpool derby and there being a bit of a hooha about it, but I don't remember anything between him and Steven Naismith. 

According to a workmate who's very friendly with a rangers player. Said Gerrard didn't want him as they did not get on.

Please. Can we NOT have another 90 page thread about folk “hearing” stories about Naismith leaving us for rangers. Appreciate Lafferty eventually did go to them but the thread for 7 months on his will he/wont he move was chronic. 

Naismith is free to go where he wants at the end of the season & he can sign a pre-contract in January. I’m going to enjoy him whilst he is here. 

Any player playing like he is just now is going to attract gossip. 

14 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Please. Can we NOT have another 90 page thread about folk “hearing” stories about Naismith leaving us for rangers. Appreciate Lafferty eventually did go to them but the thread for 7 months on his will he/wont he move was chronic. 

Naismith is free to go where he wants at the end of the season & he can sign a pre-contract in January. I’m going to enjoy him whilst he is here. 

Any player playing like he is just now is going to attract gossip. 

But not allowed on here right?

1 minute ago, graygo said:

But not allowed on here right?

No 90 pages of absolute shite with all the ITK arguments etc. Feck that!

52 minutes ago, Jessjambo said:

£20m to £25m???!!

Might not be far off. He's been under contract in English football for 6 years now.

No idea what his average earnings were at both Everton and Norwich, but if we use £50k a week as a conservate figure, he'll have earned at least £16 million and thats not including bonus payments and signing on fees.

Then we haven't even taken into account his 5 years at Rangers.

Bridge of Djoum
19 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

We have had heroes over the years. Talismanic figures.

In my lifetime, most notably Robbo, Jim Jefferies, the cup winning heroes of 98, Cameron, Adam, then Pressley, Gordon, Hartley and of course Rudi.

I reckon we have another crop here, with Berra leading the side.

But by a country mile Steven Naismith is the most influential player I have seen in a Hearts shirt probably in my life. Quite a statement.

But Naismith has the appearances (many at the highest level) goals, caps to prove it, he has worn the T shirt and with aplomb. But this guy is not finished, far from it, he is on a rebirth.

I do hope Jan 1st 2019, he is offered what importantly we can afford, but what he deserves.

Bookmark it if you like and come back to haunt me, but this guy is the cornerstone to future success.

Absolute quality.

I think owning Browny's balls and laughing maniacally at a stricken Celtic player has helped a long way in his eventual legend status.

Couple of goals in the next derby and sliding a fat, dry length up Bartley's ring should see him even closer.

5 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Might not be far off. He's been under contract in English football for 6 years now.

No idea what his average earnings were at both Everton and Norwich, but if we use £50k a week as a conservate figure, he'll have earned at least £16 million and thats not including bonus payments and signing on fees.

Then we haven't even taken into account his 5 years at Rangers.

A lot will have disappeared as tax etc, but he will have made a lot from football with added extras from any property/investments he has.

11 hours ago, smiler said:

How no? All we have to do is win all of our remaining games. It really is that simple. Unlikely to happen I grant you but why not believe it? I remember nearly cracking one off every time I looked at the league table during Burleys tenure.

And what happened in the Burley tenure , remind me??

12 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

But has the opposition ever been weaker?  Can't see any Laudrops or Gascoignes or Larssons kicking around.

We have come close to winning the title several times in my lifetime and on each occasion our resources were no match for the OF.

Winning the title is a clear possibility imo, especially with the way this side is shaping up.

I love Hearts and would love them to win the league but there is no chance of that happening at all

12 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

So did I and to that you can add season 1958-59, when at half-time, we were winning the league and by 90 minutes, we'd lost it.

But then, as a kid I dreamed we would win it in 57-58 and in 59-60!

As a kid yes you can have pipe dreams but I don't believe for a minute that you actually think Hearts will win the league this season. Celtic are no great shakes I grant you but when they need to win they do,as hard as it is for me to say they have a stronger squad. What happens if Naismith gets injured who can come on of that quality and play in his position ? Who can come on as cover for Soapy if he gets injured ? it's not a team that wins the league it's the squad , sorry Colin I can't see it at all

43 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

And what happened in the Burley tenure , remind me??

There is kind of one major significant difference now.

We are not owned by a complete sociopath.

22 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

There is kind of one major significant difference now.

We are not owned by a complete sociopath.

come on you know even if Burley had stayed we still would not have won the league , if you want to dream then it's ok but not me, we have had better teams than the one we have now and still have not won the league. I think we will do well this season and hopefully win one of the cups but the league ,no chance

As a kid yes you can have pipe dreams but I don't believe for a minute that you actually think Hearts will win the league this season. Celtic are no great shakes I grant you but when they need to win they do,as hard as it is for me to say they have a stronger squad. What happens if Naismith gets injured who can come on of that quality and play in his position ? Who can come on as cover for Soapy if he gets injured ? it's not a team that wins the league it's the squad , sorry Colin I can't see it at all

What if neither Naismith or Soapy get injured?

What if both Celtic and Sevco get multiple injuries?

Dare to dream©

7 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

come on you know even if Burley had stayed we still would not have won the league , if you want to dream then it's ok but not me, we have had better teams than the one we have now and still have not won the league. I think we will do well this season and hopefully win one of the cups but the league ,no chance

**** that for a life mate

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 hours ago, New York Fleapit said:

I think owning Browny's balls and laughing maniacally at a stricken Celtic player has helped a long way in his eventual legend status.

Couple of goals in the next derby and sliding a fat, dry length up Bartley's ring should see him even closer.

:rofl:

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

**** that for a life mate

yes entitled to dream Smithee nothing wrong with that mate but it's not for me.I think Levein has built a good team for this season but they are no where near ready to win this league.

At best I would think third and that would be a good season for us, you know as well as I do if soapy carries on in the form he is in he will be away especially breaking into the full national side but hopefully he will go down south not to any of the Glasgow sides.

Just my option mate and if I am wrong I will be delighted believe me, we always have decent chats though ,here's hoping your dream comes true

Rangers

Celtic

Hearts

Hibs

Aberdeen

cheers

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Steven Naismith shoul be offered a 5 year deal on our top possible wages in January. 

He is 31,who in there right mind would offer a 5 year deal at his age. Keep him yes and give him a decent offer but never 5 years IMO

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, maroonnicky63 said:

He is 31,who in there right mind would offer a 5 year deal at his age. Keep him yes and give him a decent offer but never 5 years IMO

He will still be among the best player in the SPFL when he is 36. 

Folk are on about Rangers coming in, to be honest I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if Celtic came in.

We’re going to have to do absolutely everything to keep him at Hearts. He can be an iconic player if we can keep him 

2 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

It would be foolhardy of course, yet I'm sure he'll still be playing at 36. His game's about quality and speed of thought, and those don't fade as fast as pace. I'd be delighted if we gave him 2 years, even 3.

Re the dream - I'd have given up football many years ago if I ever thought we could never win the league. A nit of quality and a lot of luck is all that's needed - one of these days!

2 hours ago, maroonnicky63 said:

If we had kept burley the league would of been ours no ifs buts or maybes he never had one defeat in the league while he managed us one of the reasons Romanov let him go was he wasn't rotating the squad enough and felt over the course of a season players would be better rotated rix also had problems with vlad over this.

15 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

If we had kept burley the league would of been ours no ifs buts or maybes he never had one defeat in the league while he managed us one of the reasons Romanov let him go was he wasn't rotating the squad enough and felt over the course of a season players would be better rotated rix also had problems with vlad over this.

Ok we will just have to agree to disagree