Steven Naismith - Legend in Waiting?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

tartofmidlothian

Great thread. The way he's going, he's the only Hearts player of the past two decades who might equal Rudi Skacel or Colin Cameron as a talismanic goalscoring figure.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• maroonnicky63

• Bongo 1874

• Bazzas right boot

Far too early to be put in legend status, 2 full seasons of the form he is in right now would put him there. I think thats fair, given what true legends have done for the club.

19 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

I seem to remember his return being absolutely awful, if was once he left them and went back to killie he’s been incredible. Anyway, I’ll be happy with what we can get out Naismith I don’t think our whole team relies on him 

Totally agree, but if he does go back there then I hope he is as pish as Boyd was.

1 hour ago, gorgie rools said:

He won't go to rangers as Gerrard doesn't like him. Fell out when he was at Everton apparently 

You're assuming that Gerrard will be at Ibrox during the next couple of transfer windows...

18 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

I like Naismith a lot but trying to say he will be a legend as early as this is way over the top . I suggest some people should calm down

As someone wrote, we need to see him influence a club to some trophy success (and at least one painful humiliation of the Hibs). Remember that Rudi was looked upon as a legend within one season (30-odd matches).

Naismith has a foot in the door. Don't forget that he stiffed Sevco in 2012 over the transfer of contracts. Anyone who stiffs that lot gets a gold star from me. :D

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, VALDOS said:

Far too early to be put in legend status, 2 full seasons of the form he is in right now would put him there. I think thats fair, given what true legends have done for the club.

There's a clue in the title  ?

It doesn't matter how long he is here, its what he does in the time he is here. Craig Beattie anyone? Might not be a "legend" as such but he will always be remembered for what he did in the short time he was with us. Naisy can easily earn that status with us with a strong league position and a decent cup run.

every single person connected to the club season 18/19 will be a legend.

Each one of them playing a part in us becoming league champions of Scotland.

It’s coming home. 

tartofmidlothian
40 minutes ago, VALDOS said:

Legend is debatable, but I reckon Rudi had cemented his place in our history after one season.

2 hours ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about sevco with Naismith just because he was the one who came out and said rangers died, no way they would have him back, he’s more of a boyd who will haunt them 

They took Allan McGregor back

Edited by Hearts007

3 hours ago, JamboJen said:

Would imagine that would have to be part of their loan agreement with us. We've got him on the understanding we have him for the season and as a major part of our plans. If it was agreed that Norwich could sell him in January I'd imagine we'd have some sort of compensation clause in there from them along with it.

He'd also have to agree to any sale. I think he's here for the season.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
50 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Half a dozen good games and people start the legend chat.

:jj_facepalm:

Slightly more than half a dozen

But people who are incapable of reading

:cornette:

59 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

There's a clue in the title  ?

yeh I get that but to me there is no sign to even suggest he will become a legend at this early stage ,I wouldn't even say Berra was a legend or will become one, let me tell you as well if Rangers did come in for Naismith he would go just like lafferty did,he would go back in a heart beat. I do like him though and I wouldn't hold any grudges if he did but I hope he stays, very good player.

Don't you find it funny since Lafferty left how many posters are picking up on all the faults he had , would have loved him to stay as well.

51 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

every single person connected to the club season 18/19 will be a legend.

Each one of them playing a part in us becoming league champions of Scotland.

It’s coming home. 

oh dear, you keep on believing that and give me a shout when you waken up. Would love to see that but no chance at all, the Glasgow press would not let it happen

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, maroonnicky63 said:

yeh I get that but to me there is no sign to even suggest he will become a legend at this early stage ,I wouldn't even say Berra was a legend or will become one, let me tell you as well if Rangers did come in for Naismith he would go just like lafferty did,he would go back in a heart beat. I do like him though and I wouldn't hold any grudges if he did but I hope he stays, very good player.

Don't you find it funny since Lafferty left how many posters are picking up on all the faults he had , would have loved him to stay as well.

Rudi Skacel is a legend, he won 2 cups and got it right up Hibs. He got the club

I think Naismith has the potential to follow suit. I said in my opening statement that it was quite a statement. I have a feeling he gets our club, perhaps not in the way Rudi connected with the fans, but he connects with those in management.

Personally I cant remember a Hearts player who has achieved as much in their career as Naismith has. I think with his help, this team could reach decent heights. If they do, I would hazard an educated guess, that his contribution, based on his previous achievements in football and his current form will have been a huge factor in our future success.

Hence a legend "in waiting"

If Naismith is smart he will finish his career here. I see a future manager or top coach in him and he wouldn't get a better grounding than here. He is admired, will probably be on to be one of our our top earners and would be part of this incredible journey we are on. 

We could sell it to him by singing his name from the stands. 

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

It was good to see all of his family at the St Mirren match, with one of his girls wearing a Hearts top with Daddy 14 on the back.

They were all there at the Dumbarton friendly, with the wee lass and her no 14  jersey.

jack D and coke
3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Also he just seems to be too much of a decent sort off the pitch - charity work etc to be rampant Rangers...

I think he is motivated by personal achievement more than simply money. Some players would go in the huff at not being included in that bare bones summer tour Scotland squad after what he's contributed previously, or not included in the initial squad for last 2 games - maybe even announce international retirement...not Naismith, he just set about making a call up impossible to ignore, and then getting in the starting line up. There is no big ego with the guy.

If anywhere he is a Killie fan, but I think his footballing loyalty is absolute to where he is playing, as long as he is respected there.

McLeish said last night he wanted to take him on that tour but he’d had a heel problem that he wanted to rest over the summer. He asked for assurance from McLeish if he kept working hard and got some good form going would he still be considered and I guess for McLeish’s sake especially it’s been a great call up. 

21 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

oh dear, you keep on believing that and give me a shout when you waken up. Would love to see that but no chance at all, the Glasgow press would not let it happen

You really must be the life and soul of parties. 

Live a little.............let yourself dream. It really does brighten up your day.

alwaysthereinspirit
4 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

Im now worried Sevco will see this is easy pickings and get him on a pre-contract...

We can speculate all we want and put our maroon specs on but if they did see it as viable I would imagine he would go...he is Sevco minded and may see it as a chance to redeem himself ala McGregor and Laff...

All we can do is continue to offer him a platform where he is the focal point for the team and younger pro's and hopefully compete for Europe and maybe a Final at least to evidence what it means to be a Jambo and have our support... ❤

Still early enough for both Lafferty and McGregor to fail miserably. The Newco fans are hoping to win their first real trophy this season. They will turn on a sixpence against these two if things don't go as hoped. They're not even close to having redeemed themselves with most Newco fans. It'll be funny to watch the implosion when it happens. Especially with the lengh of contracts and money they're on. I'm going to assume Naismith will be great for Hearts and gives 100% as long as he is with us. That's all we can hope for right now.

Worthing Jambo

I think what most are seeing in Naismith is not just a very good intelligent player but the mentality that goes with it.

He is a winner and when players like that appear at Hearts it gives us all hope that a pot can be delivered.

The fact that he will be instilling that attitude into the younger players is a heady concoction!

bringonthesevco
4 hours ago, gorgie rools said:

He won't go to rangers as Gerrard doesn't like him. Fell out when he was at Everton apparently 

Suspect that won't be an issue by the end of the season .....

59 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Jeeeeeeze, you're a good laugh.

4 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

One of the best players I have ever seen in a Hearts jersey in the 55 plus years I have been following the Hearts.

His ability, workrate and influence both on and off the park make him by far our most important player at this point in time. 

Plus the fact that he is a genuine, decent bloke who raised a lot of money for charity. 

We are fortunate to have him at our club and it was superb work by Budge and Levein to get him. 

I am not concerned that he will end up at Sevco. I think he has found a new spiritual home at Tynecastle.

Good post. His link up play is absolutely top drawer for a Scottish player. You can see how he played at top EPL level. 

Contrast his link up play last night with that of Griffiths and it's almost embarrassing the difference 

Can we as fans do anything to make sure he stays?  After His loan period let's be honest here he is probably the best player In our league atm I know this sounds desperate but if that benefactor is on here and reads jkb chuck money at naismith and demi and u will see a lot of success.

He’d like to finish his career at Killie so I’m told so we might get him for another season or two then he’ll be free to return there should they want him.

Naismith got horrendous stick at Ibrox season whereas Lafferty didn't .

Don't think he will be in a rush to go back there to play and has made his money over the years and he doesn't need the hassle.

Think he will sign permanent contract as soon as it is possible with us.

5 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

I agree Naisy is a legend in waiting but for him to be a legend he needs to stay beyond the summer. Help push us forward more as a club where we are able to challenge for both cups and the league on a regular basis. 

I would like to believe that Ann, Craig & Austin have spoke about keeping him and have a pre contract ready for him and I’d like to believe Naisy has been sounded out about staying permanently and is keen to. 

Or win the league this year of course ?

2 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

You really must be the life and soul of parties. 

Live a little.............let yourself dream. It really does brighten up your day.

you want me to believe in something that wont happen , ok then

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Rudi Skacel is a legend, he won 2 cups and got it right up Hibs. He got the club

I think Naismith has the potential to follow suit. I said in my opening statement that it was quite a statement. I have a feeling he gets our club, perhaps not in the way Rudi connected with the fans, but he connects with those in management.

Personally I cant remember a Hearts player who has achieved as much in their career as Naismith has. I think with his help, this team could reach decent heights. If they do, I would hazard an educated guess, that his contribution, based on his previous achievements in football and his current form will have been a huge factor in our future success.

Hence a legend "in waiting"

if you feel that then lets just wait and see

Firmly believe Naismith is now going to finish his career at Hearts, he loves the role he plays at us and money is no longer his driving factor. He'll move into coaching with us too.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

if you feel that then lets just wait and see

Would be a very dull forum if we were not willing to speculate or express our happy thoughts every now and then.

I don't often, only when I am very confident.

I am very confident.

15 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

What's the point in turning up week after week m9?

NaturalOrder74
3 hours ago, Hearts007 said:

They took Allan McGregor back

True full of surprises, but can you imagine their fans being happy with signing a 32 year old forward I cant see it happening personally

especially when there's such a sense of entitlement among their fans that they want high profile signings to try and challenge Celtic

33 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

I said dream not believe................anyway my point about you and parties definitely seems to be correct. 

6 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Also he just seems to be too much of a decent sort off the pitch - charity work etc to be rampant Rangers...

I think he is motivated by personal achievement more than simply money. Some players would go in the huff at not being included in that bare bones summer tour Scotland squad after what he's contributed previously, or not included in the initial squad for last 2 games - maybe even announce international retirement...not Naismith, he just set about making a call up impossible to ignore, and then getting in the starting line up. There is no big ego with the guy.

If anywhere he is a Killie fan, but I think his footballing loyalty is absolute to where he is playing, as long as he is respected there.

According to McLeish last night, Naismith asked to be left out of the summer tour to rest a niggly injury. 

7 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Don't get where the Rangers chat is coming from. Is it not well known he is a Killie fan? Just because he once played for Rangers doesn't mean he would jump at the chance to go back or that they would want him. Let's not lump him in with Lafferty who was desperate to move back there. 

I was listening to him on Sportsound a couple weeks ago and he described when he signed from Killie as joining his "boyhood club" when he was was talking about his career.

3 year deal at the end of the season.

Joins coaching set up after that.

Takes over top job when levein steps aside after our treble winning season in 2024.

10 minutes ago, By the light said:

Takes over top job when levein steps aside after our treble winning season in 2024.

Was just about to make same point. Could well feel the pull of a return to Killy or New Rangers but might think otherwise if we offered him a good few years security and pathway to career progression. Would love to see him play out his days (he’s probably still got 3-4 years minimum) then progress into coaching and eventually management. Reckon he’s got the right blend of ability and attitude to be a Levein mark 2 in years to come.  

Edited by cocobeab

Naismith can play at the top level on the SPL for at least another 3 after this.

No reason why he can’t if Miller did.

In fact, he could have another 3 years with us and still have 2 years at Killie to finish his career there.

30 minutes ago, By the light said:

As I have said on another thread I hope our current captain eventually progresses to being our head coach.

6 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I hope every single fan, player, coaching staff and even the physio believes that we can win the league this season. It is the SPL ffs not La Liga, what is to fear.

Your on the money 

personally don’t think we will but it isn’t impossible to achieve this 

We have a very good squad and are playing well 

if Leicester can do it then so can we 

9 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

I doubt he'll be at hearts long enough to be considered a legend. 

‘Legend status’ is purely subjective but for me, it’s more about what a player does rather than how many games they play. 

Rudi Skacel was a Hearts player for less than three full seasons but he scored spectacular goals (almost a 1:2 goals:games ratio), he was incredibly talented and he won two Scottish Cups; as well as being a charismatic character. 

There’s no doubt in my mind that Skacel is a club legend. 

Naismith is a great player and a leader, and if he helps lead us to silverware, then he’ll be a legend in my eyes.