New Wonder Kid Signing?

Graeme Russell

Graeme Russell

Not in any way ITK but heard this morning that we are signing a young boy from abroad.

He is a 16 year old Croatian and he is dubbed as the new “Messi” with the same stature.

We are seemingly waiting on paperwork clearance before being announced..

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Jammy T

• been here before

• All roads lead to Gorgie

1 minute ago, Graeme Russell said:

Not in any way ITK but heard this morning that we are signing a young boy from abroad.

He is a 16 year old Croatian and he is dubbed as the new “Messi” with the same stature.

I doubt the new Messi would be signing for us. Any good young talent is welcome but it’s all relative.

8 minutes ago, Graeme Russell said:

Reckon FF is the guy to ask about this he is very well itk about the youth football side of things.

Was there not a young trialist that impressed FF a while back. Sure he was 16, abroad and may have been some problems with a visa? I could of course be making all of this up!

The_razors_edge
4 minutes ago, MrB1to4 said:

Was there not a young trialist that impressed FF a while back. Sure he was 16, abroad and may have been some problems with a visa? I could of course be making all of this up!

Im sure he was Ukrainian. Croatia Ukraine, tomato tomayto 

2 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Was Ryan Gauld not meant to be the Scottish Messi?

Yep. Imagine if guald played last night we would have had mcginiesta and Messi, surely we'd have won the game 5-4

Love a wunderkid signing! Most don’t make it, but it’s always fun getting your hopes up along the way!

Juanjo

Copil

Kostadinov

Templeton

Novikovas

Rapnik

Prychynenko

Burns

Those were the last hyped up kids I can think of in recent times. Mixed bag in terms of success.

Bring on the next wunderkid I say! 

Edited by Bez

portobellojambo1

There was a youngster, well 21 years old, who was being classed as the Croatian Messi, but I'm sure I read somewhere he signed for an Italian team for about £5 million 2/3 months back. Not unless there is now an even younger Croatian Messi, Version II.

Bridge of Djoum
47 minutes ago, Graeme Russell said:

He's avoiding tax already?

Bridge of Djoum
39 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Was Ryan Gauld not meant to be the Scottish Messi?

You misread.

It was ''new Scottish mess''.

Edited by New York Fleapit

12 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I don’t think Novikovas was ever labelled a wonder kid - he just signed for us when he was young....

Seem to remember he was signed at a time just after we had been getting shedloads of players from FB Kaunas, and everyone was groaning about “not another liff”. A couple of posters looked a wee bit deeper and informed us he was actually a very highly rated prospect. That’s how I seem to remember it anyway.

29 minutes ago, Bez said:

Love a wunderkid signing! Most don’t make it, but it’s always fun getting your hopes up along the way!

Juanjo

Copil

Kostadinov

Templeton

Novikovas

Rapnik

Prychynenko

Burns

Those were the last hyped up kids I can think of in recent times. Mixed bag in terms of success.

Premature to include Burns and I wouldn’t include Temps as a what might have been, but we’ve had some corkers over the years. Podraig Moran was meant to be the Irish Ryan Giggs. 

tommy harrison always rings a bell when wunderkind are mentioned, turned out to be tam kite.

remember man city spent quarter of a million for steve mckenzie the english wonder child, highest fee at the time was city buying kevin reeves for a mil and forest paid the same for trevor francis, forest got a good return for their cash.......man city got robbed in both cases.

18 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Premature to include Burns and I wouldn’t include Temps as a what might have been, but we’ve had some corkers over the years. Podraig Moran was meant to be the Irish Ryan Giggs. 

Was more meaning that these were/are kids who arrived at us with exciting potential and were highly thought of as being able to make it at a very high level. Temps was smashing them in left right and centre for Stenny at something ridiculous like 15 I think. Think it was only the presence Branny and Copil that took the spotlight off him. Going back a wee bit though, might be remembering things a bit hazily.

Edited by Bez

6 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

tommy harrison always rings a bell when wunderkind are mentioned, turned out to be tam kite.

remember man city spent quarter of a million for steve mckenzie the english wonder child, highest fee at the time was city buying kevin reeves for a mil and forest paid the same for trevor francis, forest got a good return for their cash.......man city got robbed in both cases.

Franny Jeffers.

31 minutes ago, Bez said:

Seem to remember he was signed at a time just after we had been getting shedloads of players from FB Kaunas, and everyone was groaning about “not another liff”. A couple of posters looked a wee bit deeper and informed us he was actually a very highly rated prospect. That’s how I seem to remember it anyway.

One of the best crossers of a ball we’ve had in my time. Had things been a little different at the club during his time here he could have been a top player imo 

3 minutes ago, everton_jambo said:

One of the best crossers of a ball we’ve had in my time. Had things been a little different at the club during his time here he could have been a top player imo 

:yas:

9 minutes ago, everton_jambo said:

Agreed. If we'd had better players he could've been very good. I think he turned down a big Portuguese club to sign for Hearts too? Quick google shows he is playing in Poland alongside previous Celtic wonderkid Cillian Sheridan

I love wonderkids as we talk about them for pages, and then most of them never even get near the first team... I mis Kostadinov's brother on here. He was a nice fellow.

Edited by Spellczech

3 minutes ago, Bez said:

:yas:

Haha obviously that one was at the forefront of my mind.

for some reason the other was when he came on and turned the game in our favour at McDiarmid Park and (I think) set up Obua for what we thought was a late winner. Only for them to score a free kick with the last kick of the game

Just now, everton_jambo said:

Haha obviously that one was at the forefront of my mind.

for some reason the other was when he came on and turned the game in our favour at McDiarmid Park and (I think) set up Obua for what we thought was a late winner. Only for them to score a free kick with the last kick of the game

I liked him too, other than his habit of visibly pulling back from 50/50s. He had plenty of skill though. When he played  against Scotland a couple of years ago, he looked a far better player than the one who left us.

Kevin Queen was  supposed to be the next big thing back in the day. Tottenham signed him from us when he was 15 IIRC.

Edit: Cant mind if it was Kevin Queen or Kevin McQueen.

Edited by Junta

1 hour ago, Bez said:

Juanjo

Copil

Kostadinov

Templeton

Novikovas

Rapnik

Prychynenko

Burns

Kostadinov and Copil are the only ones I would really say were hyped up as wonderkids from that list.  Another was Wagner.

Juanjo was in his twenties by the time he signed for us as well.

The rest were just promising youngsters.

32 minutes ago, Bez said:

Was more meaning that these were/are kids who arrived at us with exciting potential and were highly thought of as being able to make it at a very high level. Temps was smashing them in left right and centre for Stenny at something ridiculous like 15 I think. Think it was only the presence Branny and Copil that took the spotlight off him. Going back a wee bit though, might be remembering things a bit hazily.

Apologies. I thought it was a list of guys who never quite lived up to the hype. To be fair, it would’ve been difficult to do so given some of the reports we’d heard of these kids. Here’s a wee team (different eras) of kids who we had that were meant to have huge futures and ended up at Brechin and such, one even went to Hibs!!!

Gary O’Connor

Fraser Mullen

Paul McMullen

Robbie Horn

Conrad Balatoni

Callum Tapping

Tommy Harrison

Neil Janczyk

Dmitri Copil

Bronamir Kostadinov

Jamie Mole

1 hour ago, Bez said:

Yep. But not sold as a wonder kid like Copil and Kostadinov were. 

Completely different

13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Sadly, most wunderkids just fade away. 

Yeah its a shame really, Scotland has produced some outstanding talents at youth level that just haven't made the step up. Did the national team at youth level not beat a Portugal team including Figo (years ago now!) ? IIRC almost none of that team made it professionally.

3 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yeah its a shame really, Scotland has produced some outstanding talents at youth level that just haven't made the step up. Did the national team at youth level not beat a Portugal team including Figo (years ago now!) ? IIRC almost none of that team made it professionally.

Paul Dickov. 

37 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Apologies. I thought it was a list of guys who never quite lived up to the hype. To be fair, it would’ve been difficult to do so given some of the reports we’d heard of these kids. Here’s a wee team (different eras) of kids who we had that were meant to have huge futures and ended up at Brechin and such, one even went to Hibs!!!

Gary O’Connor

Fraser Mullen

Paul McMullen

Robbie Horn

Conrad Balatoni

Callum Tapping

Tommy Harrison

Neil Janczyk

Dmitri Copil

Bronamir Kostadinov

Jamie Mole

Neil Janczyk snatched victory from defeat against the peg sellers in a somewhat memorable last couple of minutes :D

34 minutes ago, OTT said:

Was at that game, schoolboys world cup or something, was played at tynie. Dikov looked like the best player on the park.

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Jammy T said:

I don’t think Novikovas was ever labelled a wonder kid - he just signed for us when he was young....

Certainly was. He had a trial at Benfica IIRC, easy to see his talent just a guy with a poor attitude. I actually heard bad things about him around Edinburgh when he was here