'86 & '96 Cup Finals

Spellczech

In an effort to stay grounded I just watched the YouTube vids of these 2 losing finals. Now I have never watched these games again since the times they happened so it was really quite a revelation to me to see that my perceptions, or perhaps memories of these games were so wrong or perhaps the years had changed them! Somehow my memory of 1986 had been tempered by Walter Kidd's sending off to the extent that I forgot how strong the wind was that we played into in the first half, and yet how dominant we were for the first half hour. I'd clean forgotten Robbo's lob that went over the bar at 1-0...Similarly in 1996 my memory was Rousset having a 'mare and Laudrup being immense,  but Rousset was actually really good that day apart from the critical 2nd goal blunder. He was just totally exposed by a defence run ragged by Laudrup and the rest of the Rangers atack who tore us to shreds...

Funny how the memory plays tricks on you

I recall only finding out Robbo hadn't scored about a minute after the ball went over.    It wasn't enjoyable because of the carnage of the previous week.

Carl Fredrickson

I went to the 86 final full of teenage optimism - not realising how much the season had taken out of our paper thin squad and the impact of the weekend before. We were facing a very strong Ferguson Aberdeen team that had won the league cup (when it still held a reward of entry to Europe). I dont think I had ever seen so many Hearts fans at a game in my life up to that point.

Robbos lob, the sending off, Aberdeen being a big physical team and the pride as we stayed behind and continued to support Hearts after the final whistle. 

96 I was again full of optimism (20 something optimism) as we had horsed Rangers twice already that season. A season that had started poorly but provided great hope as JJ made so many inspired signings. Memories of the game? Being miles away from the pitch up high behind the goals. I was that far away I thought GL was fouled when he crumpled in a heap. The days of only 3 subs and JJ opting for attacking options on the bench. Laudrop and Durie running rings around us. Being spat on by a so called Hearts fan who tool offence at me showing support for big GR after his error. The slow drive home thinking I would NEVER see Hearts win a trophy in my life time......   

Салатные палочки

'96 Was a horrible day. But we were totally blown away by a very dangerous Oldco team.  Other than the build up and "Cum on Feel the Noize" as the teams came out, I didn't enjoy it, even though it was the first time I had seen us in a final. The semi was much more enjoyable (not the game as such until the last 10 mins, but the result). Sun shining, 20,000 Jambos there far outnumbering the Dons and a last minute winner. 

The Coca Cola final didn't feel as bad, even though we could have won it but we gave a much better account of ourselves and much of that Coca Cola team played in the 98 final.

17 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

10 years apart and Gary Mackay and JC started both games (with Robbo benched for 96).

Off topic but 2 (two) caps JC got - half the amount Gary Mackay got -  scandalous.

55 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I went to the 86 final full of teenage optimism - not realising how much the season had taken out of our paper thin squad and the impact of the weekend before. We were facing a very strong Ferguson Aberdeen team that had won the league cup (when it still held a reward of entry to Europe). I dont think I had ever seen so many Hearts fans at a game in my life up to that point.

Robbos lob, the sending off, Aberdeen being a big physical team and the pride as we stayed behind and continued to support Hearts after the final whistle. 

96 I was again full of optimism (20 something optimism) as we had horsed Rangers twice already that season. A season that had started poorly but provided great hope as JJ made so many inspired signings. Memories of the game? Being miles away from the pitch up high behind the goals. I was that far away I thought GL was fouled when he crumpled in a heap. The days of only 3 subs and JJ opting for attacking options on the bench. Laudrop and Durie running rings around us. Being spat on by a so called Hearts fan who tool offence at me showing support for big GR after his error. The slow drive home thinking I would NEVER see Hearts win a trophy in my life time......   

It's incredible to think after our fantastic run of 31 league and cup games undefeated, going within a baw hair of a league and cup double, Aberdeen walked away with a cup double.

In some ways they weren't remembered for achieving those successes that year, unfairly you'd have to admit.

Our exploits seemed to take the focus away from them. I'm sure there was a quote after the cup final from SAF saying it was Hearts season. Think there was sympathy from the great man.

86 was well before my time and i would have been 4 in 96. Never watched any of them. Same with the 2013 league cup game final never watched that back. Lots of alcohol was drunk and other than the score couldn't actually tell you much about the game.

The Goalscoring Knee
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I dont think I had ever seen so many Hearts fans at a game in my life up to that point.

My memories too. Also the enormous twirly about 20 minutes before kick-off. And seeing Henry Smith looking out the bus window when they got back to the Caley and looking utterly stunned by the numbers of fans who'd congregated there.

queensferryjambo
1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

'

The Coca Cola final didn't feel as bad, even though we could have won it but we gave a much better account of ourselves and much of that Coca Cola team played in the 98 final.

Oddly enough I thought the Coca Cola final was much worse than the Scottish Cup mainly because we were good enough to have won that game.

We were totally shite after we went 1-0 down in the Scottish Cup 96 game and didn't deserve a thing out the game.

I've never watched the '86 final again - just remember Robbo's lob and Neil Berry hitting the bar. After that it felt like it wasn't going to be our day. The Zico sending off just seemed to sum up the last couple of weeks of the season. I was never confident of winning it on the back of the Dundee result, especially after Hewitt's early goal, and it must have affected the Hearts players. I still think of it as my favourite season ever though. When you look at the quality in the Aberdeen, D Utd and Celtic sides of that era, getting that close to the double was an amazing achievement.

I must be one of the few Jambos who wasn't that bothered at getting another tonking in another cup final in 96 (I'm still not looking back at 86, don't think I ever will).  Considering we were bottom of the league when Rousset signed that season it was amazing what happened in 95-96. We really looked like we were going places (which we would in 98). One poster said he thought he'd never see Hearts win a cup - that was how I left after the 96LC Final 6 months later. 

Carl Fredrickson
32 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I've never watched the '86 final again - just remember Robbo's lob and Neil Berry hitting the bar. After that it felt like it wasn't going to be our day. The Zico sending off just seemed to sum up the last couple of weeks of the season. I was never confident of winning it on the back of the Dundee result, especially after Hewitt's early goal, and it must have affected the Hearts players. I still think of it as my favourite season ever though. When you look at the quality in the Aberdeen, D Utd and Celtic sides of that era, getting that close to the double was an amazing achievement.

I very much agree with this. IIRC we had much the same starting 11 week after week and when Doddie asked for funds (again IIRC) we brought in Billy Mackay, and injury prone wide midfielder from Rangers. We were fortunate that a lot of other teams had to postpone games due to international call ups (Hearts players were overlooked regardless of their form). This allowed us to build up momentum and put a lot of points on the board. 

Still look back in that season with fond memories - first season i started going home and away on my own. I will always be grateful for that team restoring so much pride and hope to us after so many yo-yo years. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Nothing will compare to the pain of 86. I felt dead watching that final. 

96 was altogether different. Just glad to be in a final and for once in my life I got a prediction correct. Left the game feeling strongly we would be back in a final the next year. That second final in 96 was epic. 

Also at the English League Cup final in 96 the day after we got smashed 5 2 by Partick Thistle! 3 finals and no cups. 98 was just about to change our luck though. 

After 86 I was convinced I'd never see Hearts win anything... after 34 years 5 months and 2 weeks since my first hearts game ( hammered st minging 5-1)  I had the best day of my life - I stopped going after that -  nothing will ever top that day surrounded by family, friends and fellow jambos, , got a couple of motorbikes to amuse me.  I live in France now but still have to watch every game on Hearts TV - ity's a lifelong commitment! Better go now, starting to greet!

34 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I very much agree with this. IIRC we had much the same starting 11 week after week and when Doddie asked for funds (again IIRC) we brought in Billy Mackay, and injury prone wide midfielder from Rangers. We were fortunate that a lot of other teams had to postpone games due to international call ups (Hearts players were overlooked regardless of their form). This allowed us to build up momentum and put a lot of points on the board. 

Still look back in that season with fond memories - first season i started going home and away on my own. I will always be grateful for that team restoring so much pride and hope to us after so many yo-yo years. 

George Cowie and Billy Mackay as our subs for the final says it all! We had real quality in Jardine, Levein, Robbo and Colquhoun, but nothing like the quality and strength in depth of the other teams. Plus Aberdeen and D Utd were managed by bonafide football management geniuses. It definitely shows how far team spirit and momentum can take you.

We were also able to keep the core of that team, split the OF one year and have a great European run under Doddie even after Rangers had started spending crazy money under Souness. Such a shame Doddie (and the likes of Robbo, JC, Levein and Mackay) never got a trophy with us to show for it all (apart form the Tenants 6s obviously). Every current Hearts fan should read up on those years if they weren't around then. It shows how far having patience with players and the manager and just getting behind the team can get you. Doddie would never have been with us long enough to get to 86 in today's climate for managers.

Edited by Guest

I was only 12 at the ‘86 final, but even at that age, I just somehow knew that, as soon as I got into the ground that we weren’t going to win that day. The horrible events of the previous week just knocked the stuffing out of us. 

As for 1996, although the final was a great disappointment, I (and I’m sure many other Hearts fans) see it as part one of three of a mini-drama that resulted in the 1998 cup win. Plus, I actually have very fond memories of the 1995/96 season as it was the first season in a number of years that made me think that Hearts were back, and heading somewhere good. 

For Hearts fans of a certain age, Dens ‘86, and subsequent disappointments in the twelve years that followed became sort of scars that in fact made 16th May 1998 all the more memorable. 

3 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

The 96 final changed when Gary Locke got injured. I thought we lost, more to do with that IMO. Laudrup was some player though. 

It all changed when we brought on Alan Lawrence for Locky and it all went to pot thereinafter.

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Bill said:

I was only 12 at the ‘86 final, but even at that age, I just somehow knew that, as soon as I got into the ground that we weren’t going to win that day. The horrible events of the previous week just knocked the stuffing out of us. 

As for 1996, although the final was a great disappointment, I (and I’m sure many other Hearts fans) see it as part one of three of a mini-drama that resulted in the 1998 cup win. Plus, I actually have very fond memories of the 1995/96 season as it was the first season in a number of years that made me think that Hearts were back, and heading somewhere good. 

For Hearts fans of a certain age, Dens ‘86, and subsequent disappointments in the twelve years that followed became sort of scars that in fact made 16th May 1998 all the more memorable. 

Bloody well spot on Bill!

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Bill said:

The elation at the end of the 96 semi final gave me a feeling of a breakthrough.

Something Jim Jefferies really fought for. Getting us to our first Final in 10 years wasn't the only reason we were on a high. After 86 we had all those semi final let downs as we searched to close the wound from 86.

But it would be pain again in 96.  We can only look back at that time now as a 3 part mini drama as you point out, but in all honesty we really didnt know what path we would take in the aftermath of the humbling from Rangers. I know I was quite disappointed afterwards but also felt we were on the way up under JJ.

I certainly didn't expect another two finals , one only 6 months later, in 2 years while licking the wounds from the 96 final. The 96 League Cup Final performance suddenly transformed us in this period I think,  even though we lost. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I knew we’d lose in 96. That team wasn’t ready for it (didn’t think we’d get humped but in fairness, Rousset’s mistake was like pulling the plug out the wall). 86 was different. I’d just turned 6 and assumed we’d win. Fecking sair yin, even now.

5 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

The elation at the end of the 96 semi final gave me a feeling of a breakthrough.

Something Jim Jefferies really fought for. Getting us to our first Final in 10 years wasn't the only reason we were on a high. After 86 we had all those semi final let downs as we searched to close the wound from 86.

But it would be pain again in 96.  We can only look back at that time now as a 3 part mini drama as you point out, but in all honesty we really didnt know what path we would take in the aftermath of the humbling from Rangers. I know I was quite disappointed afterwards but also felt we were on the way up under JJ.

I certainly didn't expect another two finals , one only 6 months later, in 2 years while licking the wounds from the 96 final. The 96 League Cup Final performance suddenly transformed us in this period I think,  even though we lost. 

The ‘96 LCF was a fantastic (albeit horrible, cold, snowy) day.  We were brilliant and when we got back to Edinburgh a great night was had even though, as you say, we lost.  The Huns had some pretty decent players around that time too, it has to be said.

The only things I remember about the 1986 final were Zico's stupid sending off, Peter Weir being a w@nker and that there was a banner in our end for Chernobyl Hearts (was only a couple of weeks after the disaster).

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I knew we’d lose in 96. That team wasn’t ready for it (didn’t think we’d get humped but in fairness, Rousset’s mistake was like pulling the plug out the wall). 86 was different. I’d just turned 6 and assumed we’d win. Fecking sair yin, even now.

DLD?  We were always gonna lose that final after the Dens thing.

Too sad for words.

25 minutes ago, Musemic said:

The only things I remember about the 1986 final were Zico's stupid sending off, Peter Weir being a w@nker and that there was a banner in our end for Chernobyl Hearts (was only a couple of weeks after the disaster).

I'd forgotten all about that Chernobyl banner! Did they not have their faces all grey, kind of skull-like?  Or am I imagining that bit?

I'd upped sticks and moved to Reading in January '86 and had to choose between going to Dens or Hampden (couldn't afford to come up 2 weeks in a row). I chose Hampden, and like a lot of folk have said, I just assumed we would win. Before the Dundee game an old boy at work had said "of course you know you could end up winning nothing". Told him that would never happen...

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Too sad for words.

Exactly. No way back from that.

4 hours ago, Musemic said:

Chernobyl Hearts?  ????

That's outstanding.

This may sound like an inane statement but my huge disappointment in the 1968 final was that we played so poorly.  We just never turned up.  The longer the game went on the more confident Dunfermline became.

I dont think the loss to Rangers was so much a case of us not playing well but of rangers playing very well.  The goalie error was unlucky but we were well beaten.

Dont remember a thing about the Aberdeen final except the score and that we were the best side in the country despite a horror 8 days.

I remember the week between Dens and the 86 final being described as the same as the week between Christmas and New Year except there was F all to celebrate. I went along more in hope than expectation. I don’t remember much about it. I think I was still numb. 

I watched the 96 final on tv. I was almost convinced that I’d never see Hearts win anything decent in my lifetime. Oh how that’s changed. 

15 hours ago, Spellczech said:

In an effort to stay grounded I just watched the YouTube vids of these 2 losing finals. Now I have never watched these games again since the times they happened so it was really quite a revelation to me to see that my perceptions, or perhaps memories of these games were so wrong or perhaps the years had changed them! Somehow my memory of 1986 had been tempered by Walter Kidd's sending off to the extent that I forgot how strong the wind was that we played into in the first half, and yet how dominant we were for the first half hour. I'd clean forgotten Robbo's lob that went over the bar at 1-0...Similarly in 1996 my memory was Rousset having a 'mare and Laudrup being immense,  but Rousset was actually really good that day apart from the critical 2nd goal blunder. He was just totally exposed by a defence run ragged by Laudrup and the rest of the Rangers atack who tore us to shreds...

Funny how the memory plays tricks on you

86 final was a nightmare for me, was nightshift and only had about 2 hours sleep, was still hurting after losing the title then lost this game to the sheep.

Had to work that night with the hobos giving me dogs abuse.

We just folded after gary locke went off injured, another nightmare day was 96 final.

They both hurt. Hurt like hell. Then along came 98, 2006 and 2012. In my lifetime only OF and Aberdeen supporters can say they've seen their team win the Scottish Cup three times or more.

Thankfully I was only 1 when the 86 final took place so dont remember any of it.

The first time I felt really hurt after a Hearts game was when Airdrie beat us 1-0 in the semi in 95.

Still remember Robbo with the head bandage on getting sent off in the second half.

Was convinced we were going to win the cup that year after beating Rangers 4-2 at Tynie in the 4th round.

Always remember my Dad saying to me after the game as we came out of Hampden that this will not be the last time I will feel like this being a Jambo.

Anyway I only had to wait another 3 years to see us win it.

Edited by Lambo85

Dusk_Till_Dawn
15 hours ago, Morgan said:

Too sad for words.

I know but I was 6 so I was away with the fairies

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

They both hurt. Hurt like hell. Then along came 98, 2006 and 2012. In my lifetime only OF and Aberdeen supporters can say they've seen their team win the Scottish Cup three times or more.

:yas: 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

28 years since Aberdeen won the Scottish Cup. They missed the chance of a lifetime to do the Cup double, 1 up against St Johnstone and they blew it. They also signed Stevie May several years too late off the back of that match.