Anne's Song (Sporting Battalion)

Ski Nae

Rome wasn't built in a day...

Failure will never overtake us if our determination to succeed is strong enough...

Blah blah blah...

I got given a suggestion by a poster on here. The suggestion was to use a song by John Denver (Annie's Song), which has already been used by Sheffield Utd fans.

The poster wrote the new words. He didn't want to be credited but my daughter said that the words and the idea are so good that he deserves to be credited.

So, thanks a million to gcjambo.

I think a lot of the kickbackers are going to love this.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• talkaboutHEARTS1874

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Ski Nae

• Thumper

The Sheffield United version is very good. This one is pretty decent as well.

I like the Sheffield United one because it's more about the other smells/tastes/feelings of the city or going to a match. Ours could be replaced with more Hearts connotations other than the location eg "a gallon of Strongbow", "the smell from the brewery", "a pint in The Diggers" etc.

You fill up my senses,

Like a pint in The Diggers,

Like a steak pie and bovril,

Like a sea of maroon

Like beating the Hibees,

Celebrating in Gorgie

Oh Heart of Midlothian

Come thrill me again

ShuckyDuckyQuackQauck
43 minutes ago, JamboJen said:

The Sheffield United version is very good. This one is pretty decent as well.

I like the Sheffield United one because it's more about the other smells/tastes/feelings of the city or going to a match. Ours could be replaced with more Hearts connotations other than the location eg "a gallon of Strongbow", "the smell from the brewery", "a pint in The Diggers" etc.

You fill up my senses,

Like a pint in The Diggers,

Like a steak pie and bovril,

Like a sea of maroon

Like beating the Hibees,

Celebrating in Gorgie

Oh Heart of Midlothian

Come thrill me again

Got a feeling this will be stuck in my head at work today - love it. Credit to gcjambo for getting the ball rolling on this .. kinda merge the two would be great though.. I’d personally have the first line from the gcjambo’s version “ like the view from Tynecastle” then to me would be perfect 

I would hate it but I’m biased I don’t like the Blades. It is very ‘Celtic’ stealing another club’s anthem. The Hearts song is already a great anthem.

I like the line,

"Like the derby we own".

Because some folk (from other clubs, or non-football fans, visitors from other shores etc) might need that line explained. And explaining that line is a joy.

Similarly, I like the line,

"Like the sporting battalion".

So, the words I'd definitely go for are capitalized below:

YOU FILL UP MY SENSES

LIKE A VIEW OF TYNECASTLE

Like the smell from the brewery

LIKE THE DERBY WE OWN

Like a night out in Gorgie

LIKE THE SPORTING BATTALION

HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN

COME THRILL ME AGAIN

Edited by Ski Nae

8 hours ago, Ski Nae said:

Failure will never overtake us if our determination to succeed is strong enough...

Blah blah blah...

I got given a suggestion by a poster on here. The suggestion was to use a song by John Denver (Annie's Song), which has already been used by Sheffield Utd fans.

The poster wrote the new words. He didn't want to be credited but my daughter said that the words and the idea are so good that he deserves to be credited.

Who is Anne?

10 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Think it is probably an Ann vs Anne point.

Oops.

I've got to remember to drop an "e" in future.

Love and peace.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Ski Nae said:

I like the line,

"Like the derby we own".

Because some folk (from other clubs, or non-football fans, visitors from other shores etc) might need that line explained. And explaining that line is a joy.

YOU FILL UP MY SENSES

LIKE THE DERBY WE OWN

Like a night out in Gorgie / Like a pint in the Diggers

HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN

COME THRILL ME AGAIN

It's many years since I chose to have a night out in Gorgie. Maybe a swift pint or two but not a whole night :)

21 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

It's many years since I chose to have a night out in Gorgie. Maybe a swift pint or two but not a whole night :)

Like a day out in Gorgie would be better.

talkaboutHEARTS1874
1 hour ago, graygo said:

Cracking first post.

Any suggestions for a song mate?

Sorry for having an opinion.

I just don’t think any of these will catch on, along with majority of song threads started on here. 

8 minutes ago, talkaboutHEARTS1874 said:

I just don’t think any of these will catch on, along with majority of song threads started on here. 

I think it might but it would depend on Scott Wilson playing it before the game.  Over to you Scott.  ;)

:notsure:

Is this thread a piss take?

Are folk actually going to sing this shite?

EDIT: & before anyone asks:

Dirge
noun
a lament for the dead, especially one forming part of a funeral rite.

synonyms:    elegy, lament, funeral song/chant, burial hymn, requiem, dead march; More
a mournful song, piece of music, or sound.
"singers chanted dirges"

informal
a song or piece of music that is considered too slow, miserable, or boring.
"after his ten-minute dirge, the audience booed"

Edited by Pans Jambo

3 hours ago, Ski Nae said:

I like the line,

"Like the derby we own".

YOU FILL UP MY SENSES

LIKE THE DERBY WE OWN

Like a night out in Gorgie

HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN

COME THRILL ME AGAIN

Kind of got mixed feelings about this in general (though I agree with the upper case line comment), but in the spirit of giving it a try, I'll suggest the two lower case lines be replaced with:

Like the maroon coloured jerseys [just to get a maroon reference in]

Like a night under floodlights

...but I'm kind of cringoing even as I type.

Edited by Haken

27 minutes ago, talkaboutHEARTS1874 said:

So, any suggestions then?

talkaboutHEARTS1874
1 minute ago, graygo said:

As I said originally I find all this a bit naff so I’m not going to sit and make up a song for you. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
23 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

:notsure:

Is this thread a piss take?

Are folk actually going to sing this shite?

EDIT: & before anyone asks:

Dirge
noun
a lament for the dead, especially one forming part of a funeral rite.

synonyms:    elegy, lament, funeral song/chant, burial hymn, requiem, dead march; More
a mournful song, piece of music, or sound.
"singers chanted dirges"

informal
a song or piece of music that is considered too slow, miserable, or boring.
"after his ten-minute dirge, the audience booed"

Listen to the Sheff Utd fans. Works better than you might think.

9 minutes ago, talkaboutHEARTS1874 said:

As I said originally I find all this a bit naff so I’m not going to sit and make up a song for you. 

Then how do you think songs are created?

Or do we just keep steeling them from other teams?

What you are basically saying is that even if the greatest ever song ever produced for a football team and more specifically for Hearts was posted on here it would be pish just because it was posted on here.

Ok then.

talkaboutHEARTS1874
31 minutes ago, graygo said:

Then how do you think songs are created?

Or do we just keep steeling them from other teams?

What you are basically saying is that even if the greatest ever song ever produced for a football team and more specifically for Hearts was posted on here it would be pish just because it was posted on here.

Ok then.

Don’t know why you are getting your knickers in a twist. I said majority of songs on here. Please read my posts before seething.

15 minutes ago, talkaboutHEARTS1874 said:

Don’t know why you are getting your knickers in a twist. I said majority of songs on here. Please read my posts before seething.

No seethe here sunshine.

No suggestions then?

A couple of points:

The rationale behind folk suggesting/creating songs/song lyrics/song ideas is that we seem to have quite a limited songbook.

More songs (new ones, or revived ones) being added to that song book would therefore seem to be a logical step to take.

"(By the Light of the) Silvery Moon" is one of my favourites. I heard it being sung from the Wheatfield on Saturday.

I was in the Main Stand but that didn't stop me from singing out a couple of the lines. I don't really give a flying **** what other people might think of me.

And therein lies a key concept. Many folk are shy. The idea that other people will think of you as stupid or daft or naff, prevents a lot of folk from doing quite a lot of things.

Here's another thing to consider: some folk simply don't like singing, or don't like singing at the football. Not because they're shy, not because they are worried about what other folk might think about them - quite simply, they don't like/don't want to sing. And that is fair enough.

However, when it comes to new songs, there is an essential ingredient that is required, namely, creativity.

I wonder how wonderful the world would be if there was an app on our phones called, for example, "New Song". An app that produced the "perfect" new song for any given context.

Or would it be better to stick to the old-fashioned method of trial and error, learning from mistakes, getting better at tuning in to what strikes a chord?

At the end of the day, what I want is for Hearts to do as well as they possibly can. The 12th man can sometimes have a crucial part to play in this. I like to play my part by shouting out, “C’mon Hearts!” or “Yes!” or “Good tackle!” or by clapping good play, or by booing the ref etc. I also like singing the songs. I loudly sing “FTH!” and I love the line, “We hate the h1b5, they make us spew up!” This current attempt at a new song is, what most folk might call, “family friendly” – it could be in the same part of the songbook as Silvery Moon.

How many one-hit-wonders only ever wrote one song?

New songs will appear. But there will probably be 50 “fails” before a beauty catches on – that song #51 that thousands of us sing.

13 hours ago, Ski Nae said:

Blah blah blah...

Can u or your daughter do the olly Lee song or the budgie said song I see she done  the djoum etc cheers.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

One of our own songs? There’s lots of them.

Let’s leave Celtic to singing other English clubs songs. 

3 minutes ago, SM Sheffield said:

And yet we regularly have threads looking for or suggesting new songs.  :unsure:

27 minutes ago, SM Sheffield said:

All clubs steal songs. You’re only irritated because it’s Sheffield United. 

talkaboutHEARTS1874
58 minutes ago, graygo said:

No seethe here sunshine.

No suggestions then?

And again, read my posts. Why would I suggest song lyrics for a naff song idea.

2 minutes ago, talkaboutHEARTS1874 said:

And again, read my posts. Why would I suggest song lyrics for a naff song idea.

Been here before type posting style.  Or just setting the record for being angry in the least amount of posts.

I P Knightley
49 minutes ago, Haken said:

Been here before type posting style.  Or just setting the record for being angry in the least amount of posts.

:biglaugh:

If you're old enough, you might remember Steve Wright (in the afternoon)'s Mr Angry from Purley character.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Ski Nae said:

A couple of points:

The rationale behind folk suggesting/creating songs/song lyrics/song ideas is that we seem to have quite a limited songbook.

More songs (new ones, or revived ones) being added to that song book would therefore seem to be a logical step to take.

"(By the Light of the) Silvery Moon" is one of my favourites. I heard it being sung from the Wheatfield on Saturday.

I was in the Main Stand but that didn't stop me from singing out a couple of the lines. I don't really give a flying **** what other people might think of me.

And therein lies a key concept. Many folk are shy. The idea that other people will think of you as stupid or daft or naff, prevents a lot of folk from doing quite a lot of things.

Here's another thing to consider: some folk simply don't like singing, or don't like singing at the football. Not because they're shy, not because they are worried about what other folk might think about them - quite simply, they don't like/don't want to sing. And that is fair enough.

However, when it comes to new songs, there is an essential ingredient that is required, namely, creativity.

I wonder how wonderful the world would be if there was an app on our phones called, for example, "New Song". An app that produced the "perfect" new song for any given context.

Or would it be better to stick to the old-fashioned method of trial and error, learning from mistakes, getting better at tuning in to what strikes a chord?

At the end of the day, what I want is for Hearts to do as well as they possibly can. The 12th man can sometimes have a crucial part to play in this. I like to play my part by shouting out, “C’mon Hearts!” or “Yes!” or “Good tackle!” or by clapping good play, or by booing the ref etc. I also like singing the songs. I loudly sing “FTH!” and I love the line, “We hate the h1b5, they make us spew up!” This current attempt at a new song is, what most folk might call, “family friendly” – it could be in the same part of the songbook as Silvery Moon.

How many one-hit-wonders only ever wrote one song?

New songs will appear. But there will probably be 50 “fails” before a beauty catches on – that song #51 that thousands of us sing.

And you can please some people all of the time all people some of the time but never all of the people all of the time 

If you cant beat them join them....................

You fill up my senses...

Like a goal from wee Robbo

Like a cup win from Rudi

Like a sea of maroon

Like beating the Hib...ees,

With a 5-1 at Hampden

Oh Heart of Midlothian

Come thrill me again

Na na nah nah na nah naaa etc

© Primrose