MacPhee

jambo191

Take a bow sir.

Obviously Craig picked the team, but Austin’s game management from the off was spot on.

Out the traps like the Burley days.

Deserved his own thread.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim Weir

• Jack Torrance

• Bridge of Djoum

• Nookie Bear

So Make Some Noise..

There was a moment at a corner where he was screaming at Mitchel to move into a position just outside the box on the left for any breaks and low and behold it dropped straight into that space and Demi should have done better with his effort that went over the bar. Austin's reading of the game is outstanding and this is just a small example. 

44 minutes ago, Crete said:

He will be our next manager in a couple off years.

Possibly sooner. I wouldn't be surprised if he took over on a temporary basis until the end of the season with CL going back upstairs, before he gets the gig in the summer. I can understand CL wanting back into the dug out but, at the end of the day,  his health is the most important thing and, his family and, of course, AB will ultimately decide what he does.  MacPhee, imo, is the future and i don't think many fans would complain if he was to become our next manager.

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

I think MacPhee had the team playing ina more attacking sense compared to Levein, 

the ball was move a lot quicker and we created a lot going forward. 

4 minutes ago, Official_AB said:

I think MacPhee had the team playing ina more attacking sense compared to Levein, 

Yes, i noticed that too. I was impressed by how quickly we moved the ball and there seemed to me more off the ball movement too, which helped to create a lot more chances for us.

18 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, i noticed that too. I was impressed by how quickly we moved the ball and there seemed to me more off the ball movement too, which helped to create a lot more chances for us.

Just a thought. But I thought that’s more to do with growing understanding and in particular confidence amongst the squad as opposed to anything Austin did. A winning team plays faster , with less fear and more belief. 

3 hours ago, Official_AB said:

Agreed.

Credit where credit is due, to McPhee and Levein.

I was watching the analysis of the Liverpool game and they were saying what a nightmare for defences was the interchanging of the forward three and, what was noticeable with Hearts is that it's the midfield and the forwards that interchange.  First part of second half we didn't move it quick enough.

Kind of hoping a few of the loathers were saying we don't need Mr Levein anymore :rofl:

That was an easy game today for Austin, make no mistake.

Credit to the support and numbers though, Mr Levein deserved that. 

I'd like to think Austin and Mr Levein can work together for a good long while yet.

He's got a sense of humor and in my book that's important.  Speaks well without being a smart alec.  Gives me the impression that he has huge respect for Levein and loves all things Hearts.

Ministry of Football
43 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

Hopefully he will be our next manager, talks a lot of sense and seems to know the game inside out and has the respect of the players.

HHGH

Nope, he has done nothing whatsoever yet and has categorically not proven he can manage all aspects of a big football club. 

When we eventually go for another manager, we need to find the best candidate for the job, at that time. Hopefully he can in some way prove himself before then, but that remains to be seen. 

I personally like to see a manager who has worked themselves up from the bottom and been successful at all levels, in the JJ type of mould. 

Edited by Ministry of Football

27 minutes ago, Ministry of Football said:

Nope, he has done nothing whatsoever yet and has categorically not proven he can manage all aspects of a big football club. 

When we eventually go for another manager, we need to find the best candidate for the job, at that time. Hopefully he can in some way prove himself before then, but that remains to be seen. 

I personally like to see a manager who has worked themselves up from the bottom and been successful at all levels, in the JJ type of mould. 

We are all entitled to our own opinion, but Austin has proved himself in lots of ways, he is Northern Ireland's right hand man, he talks a very good game and the players respect him which is crucial. He is also young and has fresh ideas which is essential in the modern game.

2 hours ago, Ministry of Football said:

Nope, he has done nothing whatsoever yet and has categorically not proven he can manage all aspects of a big football club. I don't think you (or anyone on here) is in a position to make this call

When we eventually go for another manager, we need to find the best candidate for the job, at that time. Agreed. Hopefully he can in some way prove himself before then, but that remains to be seen. Won't be us that decides this though...

I personally like to see a manager who has worked themselves up from the bottom and been successful at all levels, in the JJ type of mould. I think it is fair to say there are different ways of doing it, but sometimes managers excel in their first job only to stutter later, like SPH. Personally I think the "bootroom" is an excellent method, as an assistant stepping up will (if he is the right person) already have the respect of the squad. This is where we went wrong with Cathro. If MacPhee is a possible as next manager it is good to see that same mistake will not be made again.

2 hours ago, Jamdub said:

Hopefully he will be our next manager, talks a lot of sense and seems to know the game inside out and has the respect of the players.

HHGH

I think that craig will be training him up to take over at some point. He has everything to be hearts manager apart from dress sense.

2 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I think he’ll take over next summer.  

Nah, Craig won't be passing up the opportunity to test himself as a manager in the Champions League! 

• 4 months later...

Another successful game for MacPhee as he again stepped up to take the team in Craig’s absence from the touchline.  

Have heard both Budge and Levein talk about succession planning. Thought it was interesting on Sunday how MacPhee did the media too. He has stepped in now a few times (St. Mirren, Motherwell and Livingston).

I can see the logic of this as Neilson (success) was an internal appointment and Cathro (failure) was external.

I’m curious as to Levein and Budge’s plans - although Budge did mention a women as the next coach, maybe that’s why MacPhee keeps that ridiculous hair...

Totally agree. However, this thread is going one way, and one way only I’m afraid. 

I’ll get the ball rolling:

’BOOT-ROOM!’ ?

16 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

MacPhee with Daly and Kirk is worth looking at. 

Would reckon fox would be in before Kirk . Seems to be we'll thought of with players and Craig 

letsalldothebeattie

Would be happy to see Austin step up when/if Levein decides its time to step back. Austin knows his stuff and when speaking to the media talks well. Be interesting to see how he does as a manager if we were to appoint him

For some reason I see McPhee being groomed as the next DoF rather than manager, with Daly as next manager if we go internal. McPhee went for the job Malky Mackay got so seems to have an interest in that type of role. Also, Levein had Daly alongside him on Sunday, which is what he used to do with Jack Ross to coach him. But maybe McPhee has jumped ahead of Daly. 100% record in charge so far anyhow.

Dr Ian Malcolm
16 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

For some reason I see McPhee being groomed as the next DoF rather than manager, with Daly as next manager if we go internal. McPhee went for the job Malky Mackay got so seems to have an interest in that type of role. Also, Levein had Daly alongside him on Sunday, which is what he used to do with Jack Ross to coach him. But maybe McPhee has jumped ahead of Daly. 100% record in charge so far anyhow.

Tbf, Malky Mackay got the job MacPhee knocked back to take the Hearts gig.

57 minutes ago, jambocub said:

Would reckon fox would be in before Kirk . Seems to be we'll thought of with players and Craig 

Agree.  It was Fox who gave Clare the kick up the erse at half-time on Sunday.

36 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Austin's reputation at Hearts is very good and he has earned enough goodwill/trust that he is supposed to be next in line to get to become first team coach (when the time comes).

I'll caveat that with - As long as things don't go wrong with the team (ie. If team performance is woeful and he's viewed as part of a collective problem he'll not get a shot).

Edited by Mysterion

I like MacPhee but “out the traps like the Burley days” is pushing it a tad. 

But he clearly got players getting closer to Vanacek and managed the last 20 minutes very well. 

5 minutes ago, Jim Weir said:

We were also supposed to be finding hidden gems and selling them for decent upside. Sow the only such example in 54 months 

We’re buying players to improve the team first and foremost and if we can improve them and get a good fee like with Sow then great. The transfer market is a lottery though. We won it with Sow and might with someone like Souttar.

Jack Torrance

McPhee would make sense as far as succession planning goes. I’d be happy with him succeeding Craig when the time’s right.

I’d actually like to see us give the job to a female coach someday soon. Someone like Shelley Kerr. Or at least give a prominent coaching role to a female to prepare them for the head coach role.

It would be a forward thinking appointment and good timing given the increased profile of women’s football.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

We’re buying players to improve the team first and foremost and if we can improve them and get a good fee like with Sow then great. The transfer market is a lottery though. We won it with Sow and might with someone like Souttar.

One example in 4.5 years when you declare it as your stated approach could be argued as poor return 

McPhee comes across as a bright guy. He might be the answer. Most likely to be an internal appointment idc 

1 minute ago, Jack Torrance said:

McPhee would make sense as far as succession planning goes. I’d be happy with him succeeding Craig when the time’s right.

I’d actually like to see us give the job to a female coach someday soon. Someone like Shelley Kerr. Or at least give a prominent coaching role to a female to prepare them for the head coach role.

It would be a forward thinking appointment and good timing given the increased profile of women’s football.

Presumably this is a pish rip, right? 

5 minutes ago, Jim Weir said:

One example in 4.5 years when you declare it as your stated approach could be argued as poor return 

McPhee comes across as a bright guy. He might be the answer. Most likely to be an internal appointment idc 

It was a stated aim to improve players. Players hold all the cards these days. Personally I like us to keep our best players as long as possible rather than try to sell them when they’re playing well, which is when their value is highest. The million for sow was nice but I’d rather have had him for the cup derby and rest of that season.

Anyhow not sure what this has to do with McPhee.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

We tried a forward thinking appointment in cathro that was a disaster. Think it'll be a while before we try forward thinking again in the manager department

Jack Torrance
3 minutes ago, Jim Weir said:

Presumably this is a pish rip, right? 

What? Thinking a woman is incapable of successfully managing a men’s football team because she’s a woman?

6 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Imagine Boydy’s furious column if that happened. “But she’s no been a player in the dressing room!”

Jack Torrance
Just now, jambocub said:

We tried a forward thinking appointment in cathro that was a disaster. Think it'll be a while before we try forward thinking again in the manager department

Cathro was untried in a head coach role and dropped straight into it at a new club. Someone like Shelley Kerr, who has experience, or somebody you give the opportunity to work their way into the role, is a different proposition altogether.

2 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Cathro was untried in a head coach role and dropped straight into it at a new club. Someone like Shelley Kerr, who has experience, or somebody you give the opportunity to work their way into the role, is a different proposition altogether.

FFS 

I've heard it all now 

4 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Men’s football is very different from the women’s game so she would have to prove herself in that environment first.