*** WCQ 2019 Scotland Women v Switzerland Women ***

Maroon Sailor

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

All Scotland games at World Cup will be live on BBC Alba. 

Looking forward to that. :)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• FJT

• All roads lead to Gorgie

• whodanny

Maroon Sailor

Fantastic achievement to qualify outright.

Don't fancy any path through the play offs - European Champions Holland, Denmark or Belgium

Good luck Switzerland with that !

2 hours ago, New York Fleapit said:

Brilliant! Great effort to qualify from what was a tricky group.

That's @peter_hmfc gutted. You'll no be supporting the national team in the World Cup, eh pal?

Couldn't care less about a "World Cup" that's on par with League 2, same reason I don't care about the Champions League of Oceania.

They're both utter shite :) .

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

All Scotland games at World Cup will be live on BBC Alba. 

With England in it that is a blessing ?

Will be good to watch and with hopefully fuller stadiums it should be quite a spectical. The crowds have been really disappointing in many of these qualifiers including the NI match that has just finished. The quality of the football is good if you watch it with an open mind and I think this could win over the sceptical public. Well done again Scotland. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, peter_hmfc said:

Couldn't care less about a "World Cup" that's on par with League 2, same reason I don't care about the Champions League of Oceania.

Great achievement on qualifying, but women’s national teams are nowhere near as good as League 2, unfortunately, even if you’re referring to Scottish League 2!

2 hours ago, peter_hmfc said:

Keep turning up on the thread though eh with your positivity...

18 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Great achievement on qualifying, but women’s national teams are nowhere near as good as League 2, unfortunately, even if you’re referring to Scottish League 2!

In all honesty I was :lol: .

13 minutes ago, smartinmaroon said:

Keep turning up on the thread though eh with your positivity...

Sorry smartin, but Fleapit constantly keeps tagging me in these kinds of posts so I'm merely replying to other users. He seems obsessed with my opinion on it. He knows I don't rate them at all yet he keeps quoting me for an opinion then breaks down in tears at it. I don't understand.

Anyways congrats for qualifying and I hope you enjoy the tournament, genuinely. It's nice to see at least SOME Scottish sides can get a good result. Unfortunately for me the quality of play and entertainment just isn't there so I don't see myself keeping much interest. Hope you enjoy it if you follow it :thumbsup: .

8 minutes ago, peter_hmfc said:

In all honesty I was :lol: .

Sorry smartin, but Fleapit constantly keeps tagging me in these kinds of posts so I'm merely replying to other users. He seems obsessed with my opinion on it. He knows I don't rate them at all yet he keeps quoting me for an opinion then breaks down in tears at it. I don't understand.

Anyways congrats for qualifying and I hope you enjoy the tournament, genuinely. It's nice to see at least SOME Scottish sides can get a good result. Unfortunately for me the quality of play and entertainment just isn't there so I don't see myself keeping much interest. Hope you enjoy it if you follow it :thumbsup: .

Fair enough?. Will bow out here 

jamboinglasgow

well done to the team, great to have Scotland playing a world cup. Though find it funny that the last time a Scotland team played in a world cup was France, and the next time is France as well.

Hopefully the mens team can be influenced  by this.

Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

well done to the team, great to have Scotland playing a world cup. Though find it funny that the last time a Scotland team played in a world cup was France, and the next time is France as well.

Hopefully the mens team can be influenced  by this.

?

Bridge of Djoum
6 hours ago, peter_hmfc said:

So bitter.

I only ''jump in'' after you've posted your pish.

''breaks down in tears''. Some comfort blanket that.

Edited by New York Fleapit

Bazzas right boot

Enjoyed watching the last wc at night, be good to follow Scotland at the next one. 

Massive improvement from the ladies team over the past few years. 

It's a start. 

Maroon Sailor

Women's football is going one way. You look at the likes of Kim Little, she looks comfortable on the ball and has great technique. Erin Cuthbert could develop in to a top class player.

Future is bright and I think the more times Scotland qualify for the summer tournaments then more people will take an interest.

Next step is to get out of the group stage.

I know it gets pelters for being a Hibs leaning paper but, the Scotsman deserves praise for the coverage it gave to the Scottish Ladies on its sports pages today.

Bridge of Djoum
8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Women's football is going one way. You look at the likes of Kim Little, she looks comfortable on the ball and has great technique. Erin Cuthbert could develop in to a top class player.

Future is bright and I think the more times Scotland qualify for the summer tournaments then more people will take an interest.

Next step is to get out of the group stage.

I watched the Women's World Cup in Florida a couple years ago. The games were on in every bar, the enthusiasm was amazing from both men and women, was a great feeling. 

I'll never understand folk who compare it to the men's game, or claim it's shite because a boy's team could beat a pro women's team. That's just not the point. Any kind of sports participation is good, and should be encouraged, supported and backed financially.

I'm ****** if I'm telling my daughters they can't play a sport or there's no point to it simply because they are female. Mocking women in sport, FFS, ******* cavemen.

• 3 months later...

Draw coming up shortly. 

Scotland in pot 3 and could draw England.....

Pot numbers Countries in each pot
Pot 1 England, France, USA, Canada, Germany, Australia
Pot 2  Japan, Brazil, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Spain
Pot 3 South Korea, China, Italy, Scotland, New Zealand, Thailand
Pot 4 Argentina, Nigeria, Chile, Jamaica, Cameroon, South Africa

Wow!!! Argentina make up the group!!!!

England

Japan

Scotland

Argentina

Could not have been tougher but some unbelievable games for a World Cup debut. 

1 minute ago, magicTs said:

Wow!!! Argentina make up the group!!!!

England

Japan

Scotland

Argentina

Could not have been tougher but some unbelievable games for a World Cup debut. 

Definitely the group of death. On the bright side, for both England and Scotland, there must be a good chance a third-placed team will come out of this group. But I doubt there's ever been a tougher group overall at any Women's World Cup.

13 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Definitely the group of death. On the bright side, for both England and Scotland, there must be a good chance a third-placed team will come out of this group. But I doubt there's ever been a tougher group overall at any Women's World Cup.

Yep was just reading the format. So only 8 teams go home after group stage. Scotland v England is the opener in the group on 9th June. Full fixtures:

England v Scotland 
09 Jun 2019 - 17:00 BST
Stade de Nice
Nice

Japan v Scotland 
14 Jun 2019 - 14:00 BST
Roazhon Park
Rennes

Scotland v Argentina 
19 Jun 2019 - 20:00 BST
Parc des Princes
Paris
Edited by magicTs

The knockout stage draw projects Germany v USA in the quarter-finals. Neither will be happy about that at all. The winners of that likely tie should, all things being equal, end up facing France in the final.

But women's football has come on so so much. It always used to be that the US and Germany were way out in front, with only a handful of European sides (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) able to compete with them. Now, there's so much depth that Pot 2 was very very strong; and of the others, Italy are very good, New Zealand and Scotland are a minimum hard to beat, and Argentina....? Who knows?

After getting England, Scotland got the highest ranked Pot 2 team and the highest ranked Pot 4 team. Fairly typical of how it goes for us ?‍♂️

Early prediction is we finish 5th best third place team and miss out on goal difference. That would be the most Scottish way to do it! 

39 minutes ago, magicTs said:

After getting England, Scotland got the highest ranked Pot 2 team and the highest ranked Pot 4 team. Fairly typical of how it goes for us ?‍♂️

Early prediction is we finish 5th best third place team and miss out on goal difference. That would be the most Scottish way to do it! 

I think that's fairly likely. :laugh: I assume the 3rd placed side from Group F will go out and the 3rd placed side from Group C will go through. After that, it's three from four.

2 hours ago, magicTs said:

For the Euro finals Scotland lost several top players to injury. 

If all the players stay fit they at least have a chance of giving a good account of themselves.