League Cup Semi

ShedBoy

I know there is a lot of football to be played yet. Buuuuuuuut imagine if we both make it through the next round and get drawn together? Would there be any use lobbying the SFA? Or is it a business/sponsor decision to make 50k of us traipse back to Hampden? Is it beyond the realms being as it’s not Scotland’s premier competition to ask for Murrayfield should this scenario arise? I’d say the final would have to be played at Hampden but a semi final at Murrayfield would make perfect sense, could also showcase the stadium in a big football game and be absolutely gleaming. The SRU should be all over this even now in my opinion.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShedBoy

• Forever Hearts

• magicTs

• Kiwidoug

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted this in another thread but probably more relevant to this....

Interesting the semi-finals of this are being played on a weekend though I'm not sure why they decided on that weekend specifically. Presumably both games are scheduled to be played at Hampden, one on the Saturday and one on the Sunday however IF Rangers and Celtic both qualify for the Europa group stages, which seems pretty possible then neither of them could play in the Saturday semi final as they play in Europe on the Thursday.......which begs the question what would happen if they didn't draw each other as clearly 2 semi's couldn't be played at Hampden on the same day.....

Also as an aside should Rangers make the Europa League BOTH our games against them at Tynecastle and Ibrox in 2018 will be moved to Sunday's as they would have a fixture on the Thursday beforehand.

Gorgie_Rules

Murrayfield is crap for football as last season proved. 

Im not saying Hampden is any good, its a terrible stadium, however Murrayfield is just as bad for anyone who isn’t sitting along the touch line.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

It'll be played at Hampden.

The end.

Such a shame how unflexible our FA are then. Zenit changed their venue last week in Europe to a smaller ground as it was played behind closed doors. 

scott herbertson
Just now, magicTs said:

Interesting the semi-finals of this are being played on a weekend though I'm not sure why they decided on that weekend specifically. Presumably both games are scheduled to be played at Hampden, one on the Saturday and one on the Sunday however IF Rangers and Celtic both qualify for the Europa group stages, which seems pretty possible then neither of them could play in the Saturday semi final as they play in Europe on the Thursday.......which begs the question what would happen if they didn't draw each other as clearly 2 semi's couldn't be played at Hampden on the same day.....

Also as an aside should Rangers make the Europa League BOTH our games against them at Tynecastle and Ibrox in 2018 will be moved to Sunday's as they would have a fixture on the Thursday beforehand.

Simples

play one at Hampden, one at whichever of Ibrox or Parkhead suits the old firm best (probably Ibrox to ensure they get more cash to stay afloat)

2 minutes ago, magicTs said:

Imagine the panic in Hampden then if we drew either OF

1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

Simples

play one at Hampden, one at whichever of Ibrox or Parkhead suits the old firm best (probably Ibrox to ensure they get more cash to stay afloat)

There's absolutely no way they'd play 2 semi's in Glasgow on the same day.

Selkirkhmfc1874
8 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Not even going to consider this until after the Motherwell game. It’s by no means a given that we will win this game.

Totally agree 

Just now, ShedBoy said:

Imagine the panic in Hampden then if we drew either OF

It doesn't need to be Hearts, if both of them make the semi final and avoid each other having got into the Europa group stage I don't see how they can play both semi's in Glasgow over that weekend. 

4 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Im not saying Hampden is any good, its a terrible stadium, however Murrayfield is just as bad for anyone who isn’t sitting along the touch line.

I prefer Murrayfield, Hampden is a hole and a pain to get out of. U remember when Barca came? I thought that was a decent atmosphere?

Just now, ShedBoy said:

Such a shame how unflexible our FA are then. Zenit changed their venue last week in Europe to a smaller ground as it was played behind closed doors. 

It's not about being inflexible. If we get a smaller team in the semi-finals, it'll probably be played at Easter Road. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

It's not about being inflexible. If we get a smaller team in the semi-finals, it'll probably be played at Easter Road. 

Both scheduled for Hampden ?

15 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Since it changed to the current format, all 4 semi's have been played at Hampden including Aberdeen vs Morton which only attracted 16,000.

We could take 10-15,000 to Hampden at least, and bar St Johnstone and possibly Ayr, any of the final 8 would match that easily. 

29 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Not even going to consider this until after the Motherwell game. It’s by no means a given that we will win this game.

This. Never mind that THEY have to beat the sheep.

scott herbertson
23 minutes ago, magicTs said:

There's absolutely no way they'd play 2 semi's in Glasgow on the same day.

Wasnt being serious mate. More likely to use the hot balls to ensure an old firm game on the Sunday

2 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Wasnt being serious mate. More likely to use the hot balls to ensure an old firm game on the Sunday

Haha that had crossed my mind!!! 

11 minutes ago, Locky said:

Since it changed to the current format, all 4 semi's have been played at Hampden including Aberdeen vs Morton which only attracted 16,000.

We could take 10-15,000 to Hampden at least, and bar St Johnstone and possibly Ayr, any of the final 8 would match that easily. 

:thumbsup: we'd take 20,000 easily if we get there. If it's one of the smaller sides, maybe more if they give us a bigger allocation.

15 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Let's show some respect to Motherwell, who have a good record against us in cup competitions. 

Oh we will respect them, but we really should be rinsing them at a packed tynie. 

I know I maybe overly optimistic but we have made an excellent start to the season. It’s a good place to be.

Like I said in my OP ...... imagine.....

52 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

I know there is a lot of football to be played yet. Buuuuuuuut imagine if we both make it through the next round and get drawn together? Would there be any use lobbying the SFA? Or is it a business/sponsor decision to make 50k of us traipse back to Hampden? Is it beyond the realms being as it’s not Scotland’s premier competition to ask for Murrayfield should this scenario arise? I’d say the final would have to be played at Hampden but a semi final at Murrayfield would make perfect sense, could also showcase the stadium in a big football game and be absolutely gleaming. The SRU should be all over this even now in my opinion.

Not sure if Aberdeen would prefer Murrayfield to be honest. 

Imo a Hearts v Hibs semi at Murrayfield in this competition is far too sensible a proposition for our authorities to consider it.  This is despite the fact that semis are regularly played in Edinburgh.

Who could forget the 9-3 semi.

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, ShedBoy said:

Its a know fact that #ibs would never agree to this. They love the huge expanse that is Hampden. It suits their game supposedly.

1 hour ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

When it’s a full house it’s brilliant. Happily go there for a semi or final but no chance of it happening. 

If there is a League Cup semi-final between Hearts and Hibs this year it will mean playing them twice in 4 or 5 days as we host them at Tynie on Wednesday 31st October!

maroonnicky63

Can't believe this is even even being discussed when you consider the stick that the English pundits took for assuming England would get through there next game even before it was played.

Motherwell will not be an easy game , lets talk IF we get through

Big Slim Stylee
1 hour ago, McCrae said:

Oh we’ll win. I’m utterly convinced of that. Motherwell are a pale shadow of last season and it’s early enough for this Hearts team to blow them away before we start running out of steam.

Sexton Hardcastle

If we get to the semi at hampden and played OF we would take 15 or so thousand as per the Celtic semi in 2012. 

Sad the opponent can sway such s huge number of fans from not going. 

Massive vote for Murrayfield from me

They can split the semi's between Murrayfield and Hampden if they want

I'd rather a final at Murrayfield too... 

Bridge of Djoum

Reading the title, I thought this thread was about something else ENTIRELY!

Would not read again. 2/10

Bridge of Djoum
4 minutes ago, Crete said:

We are not in the semifinals so stop talking about it.

Wanna come to my next party? I'm looking for a life and soul type...

48 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Can't believe this is even even being discussed when you consider the stick that the English pundits took for assuming England would get through there next game even before it was played.

Motherwell will not be an easy game , lets talk IF we get through

OP says imagine

21 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

Reading the title, I thought this thread was about something else ENTIRELY!

Would not read again. 2/10

Fleapit? -2/10 ?

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
2 hours ago, JCR said:

In 2006 Hibs were against playing neutral derby games at Murrayfield and I doubt that’s changed 

That's because it's our natural second home.  Tony said so. 

Will be tough for both Edinburgh teams but IF we do go through and get paired against each other then it has to be Hampden. The vermin would go mental for a start. 

Personally yes Hampden is a shit stadium but it’s still the national stadium and it would still get sold out and it would still fill the beaks coffers rather than pay rent to rugby

but 2 very difficult ties for both sides to go and I’m not counting chickens yet.

it would be great to meet them again though no doubt but respect to Motherwell and the sheep for the fixtures

Edited by 1971fozzy

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, kila said:

Massive vote for Murrayfield from me

They can split the semi's between Murrayfield and Hampden if they want

I'd rather a final at Murrayfield too... 

Great venue. Not sure the SFA would accept the proposal though, it would slightly favour us

An abomination of a thread.

Are we having a parade when we win it or 1 big one at the end of the season with all 3 trophys ?

7 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Will be tough for both Edinburgh teams but IF we do go through and get paired against each other then it has to be Hampden. The vermin would go mental for a start. 

Personally yes Hampden is a shit stadium but it’s still the national stadium and it would still get sold out and it would still fill the beaks coffers rather than pay rent to rugby

but 2 very difficult ties for both sides to go and I’m not counting chickens yet.

it would be great to meet them again though no doubt but respect to Motherwell and the sheep for the fixtures

I'm pretty sure the SPFL have to pay 15% of the gate receipts to rent the stadium wherever it is so having it at Hampden won't save them money although I get the point about it going to rugby rather than Queens Park.

adambraejambo

if we win against Motherwell and Hibs Cetic and Rangers all get through...and if we get drawn against Hibs there is no way the Edinburgh semi will be at Murrayfield . Can you imagine the scenes when we get a bigger crowd than the bigot derby. 

Tokyo Drifter
3 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

Hibs would never ever ever agree. End of.

3 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Disagree...! With a big crowd it shows Hampden up for the dump it is.

4 minutes ago, adambraejambo said:

if we win against Motherwell and Hibs Cetic and Rangers all get through...and if we get drawn against Hibs there is no way the Edinburgh semi will be at Murrayfield . Can you imagine the scenes when we get a bigger crowd than the bigot derby. 

A quite wonderful post .......

10 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

An abomination of a thread.

Are we having a parade when we win it or 1 big one at the end of the season with all 3 trophys ?

Sorry oliver. You could’ve just ignored it rather than be so negative.