22games nro

Lawrence Shankland

JackLadd

Shouldn't be any shock he bangs them in at that level. 

been here before
5 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

I see Tino Kadewere has scored 8 goals in 5 matches for Le Havre in Ligue 2 in France. Why on earth didn’t we sign him in the summer? 🤬 Guaranteed to score at least 20 in the SPL!

Blair Hendersin scored 38 goals for Edinburgh City last seasin in the 4th Division. Imagine he played in Div 3 that might only have been 35 or something. 

Then imagine again it was the 2nd division, perhaps 30?

He'd score for fun in the Premier- easily 25+ but then Levein doesnt like players who score goals.

Zico
43 minutes ago, PB21 said:

He’s just another Dennis Wyness or James Keatings 

Wyness was the first lesson for me about the step up. Was better than one goal in two games in the league below; I thought he’d be great for us but he was like a rabbit in the headlights. Keatings, Reilly and plenty others at other clubs are proof that it’s a massive step up.

Shankland is clearly a great striker at that level. The fact that the twelve top teams haven’t taken a chance on him - while Aberdeen let him go - suggests that there’s a lot of knowledgeable football people who are sceptical that he can make the step up. 

PB21
Just now, Zico said:

Wyness was the first lesson for me about the step up. Was better than one goal in two games in the league below; I thought he’d be great for us but he was like a rabbit in the headlights. Keatings, Reilly and plenty others at other clubs are proof that it’s a massive step up.

Shankland is clearly a great striker at that level. The fact that the twelve top teams haven’t taken a chance on him - while Aberdeen let him go - suggests that there’s a lot of knowledgeable football people who are sceptical that he can make the step up. 

Yes but you’re forgetting that knowledgeable football people don’t know as much as some of our great knowledgeable fans who reckon he would be great.............

Zico
1 minute ago, PB21 said:

Yes but you’re forgetting that knowledgeable football people don’t know as much as some of our great knowledgeable fans who reckon he would be great.............

To be fair, if we just played the same team every week, played 4-4-2 and got it up the ****ing park while having a go, we’d win the league!

Zlatanable

FCB OFFICES 

Arístides Maillol s/n, 08028 Barcelona (vehicle entrance at gate 14)

Phone number: (+34) 902 1899 00
Phone attention available: From Monday to Friday from 9am to 8pm, Saturdays from 10am to 2pm
Summer timetable: (from June 1 to August 15).
Opening hours on match days:

Midweek football matches at the Camp Nou: from 9am until half time in the match.

Saturday football matches at the Camp Nou: from 10am until half time in the match.

Sunday and bank holiday football matches at the Camp Nou: from two hours before kickoff until half time in the match.

If anyone feels the need to phone Barcelona about Lawrence Shankland. 

Tott

In the past 100 odd years or since time began.

If Shankland was the real deal,He would already being playing in Glasgow.

He isnt,not even in  the top league.

If the boy comes up next season and scores loads,fair play,everybody missed a sitter.

But so far...Dundee utd chucking everything at promotion,desperate times for them.

Personally hope the Hibernian *****  fail and go into admin.

Five to One

Some strange posts on this thread. Why we didn’t take a punt on him still beggars belief given some of the dross we’ve signed in recent times. 

1971fozzy
3 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

I see Tino Kadewere has scored 8 goals in 5 matches for Le Havre in Ligue 2 in France. Why on earth didn’t we sign him in the summer? 🤬 Guaranteed to score at least 20 in the SPL!

Your embarrasing yourself now with that tosh.

look, we never signed him as others didn’t too.

the lads obviously decent. I don’t know why you and others actually go onto this thread tbh.

Personally, for me, we signed the likes of  wighton and the likes of Bikey so I don’t get why we didn’t take a punt. The laddy looks the real deal for me and I’m pretty gobsmacked that we never took the punt but hey ho. 

Stephen Muddie

Melancholic Shankers

Oh Lawrence, Lord of time and space
Last time it's four, this week a brace
Did you miss a spot kick out of grace?
I love you more if that's the case
If you were here I'd kiss your face
Imagine how good your skin would taste
Damn Craig Levein and our missed embrace
In my dreams I sniff your waste (waist?)

:sob:

ri Alban
6 hours ago, Class of 75 said:

That is fair enough but the teams he is scoring against are not much worse than the bottom six in the SPL. Even if he struggled against the Old Firm he would have scored against the rest as his current stats show. He has 9 for the season already playing for Dundee Utd. Can you imagine what he would score for us? However this is all nonsense as he is not our player and we should move on. 

It was sarcasm.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
8 hours ago, Five to One said:

Some strange posts on this thread. Why we didn’t take a punt on him still beggars belief given some of the dross we’ve signed in recent times. 

Rumour has it that the investors in United through a chunk of money at him that was the equivalent to or more than folk like us would shell out for a Championship player.

Makes sense for united as he is proven at level. Doesn’t make sense to pay high money for us when unproven at our level. Worth a cheaper punt but United took cheap punt off the table.

Hackney Hearts
8 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

Melancholic Shankers

Oh Lawrence, Lord of time and space
Last time it's four, this week a brace
Did you miss a spot kick out of grace?
I love you more if that's the case
If you were here I'd kiss your face
Imagine how good your skin would taste
Damn Craig Levein and our missed embrace
In my dreams I sniff your waste (waist?)

:sob:

Very good work.

Last line may have gone too far though.

Hackney Hearts
12 hours ago, Zico said:

These are the two lines that are trotted out again and again and again. "Other players have scored like Shankland at that level" - No! That's the whole point. Keatings, Reilly (FFS), someone mentioned Nicky Clark a few posts ago, even Wyness - none of these have come close to Shankland's record at Ayr (which seems to be continuing at Utd). If anyone gets around a goal a game over a sustained period, then they too will get this amount of attention. That's why it's okay to discuss his achievements on a football forum, despite the fact that he doesn't play for Hearts, and may never do.

Favourite response No.2 - "no-one else wanted him". This just isn't true, he had other offers, including from England. My guess is that plenty of bottom six Scottish clubs would have loved to have him, but to compete with United, it boils down Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs (Celtic and Rangers don't like to be seen to shop at Lidl, their fans 'deserve' marquee signings). He has history at Aberdeen, who would have to admit they got it wrong, so the Edinburgh clubs were probably the only ones who could have stepped in, had they been keen enough. That may or may not have been a mistake, who knows? Time will tell.

It's important to say that I'm not using any of this as a stick with which to beat Levein - I'm a happy clapper on all things Hearts.

Smithee
9 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

the lads obviously decent. I don’t know why you and others actually go onto this thread tbh.

Personally, for me, we signed the likes of  wighton and the likes of Bikey so I don’t get why we didn’t take a punt. The laddy looks the real deal for me and I’m pretty gobsmacked that we never took the punt but hey ho. 

He's said he wanted guaranteed first team football and that's why seemingly better options were turned down. 

There's no way we would or should have offered him that so he wouldn't be a Hearts player now even if we'd tried.

DETTY29
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He's said he wanted guaranteed first team football and that's why seemingly better options were turned down. 

There's no way we would or should have offered him that so he wouldn't be a Hearts player now even if we'd tried.

Hearts (last 2 pre-seasons); Rangers; Swansea; Nottingham Forest and Sunderland (as serious) all reported as having expressed an interest and he ends up at Dundee United.

And as available on a free transfers, a player worth a punt.

There is far more to this than Craig Levein hates goal scorers nonsense.

Edited by DETTY29

Smith's right boot

Shankland does what he done last week and last season, shocker. 

We all need reminded that Shankland is a proven goal scorer at this level, I think most people would forget, but this thread reminds us all. 

JamboAl
15 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

These are the two lines that are trotted out again and again and again. "Other players have scored like Shankland at that level" - No! That's the whole point. Keatings, Reilly (FFS), someone mentioned Nicky Clark a few posts ago, even Wyness - none of these have come close to Shankland's record at Ayr (which seems to be continuing at Utd). If anyone gets around a goal a game over a sustained period, then they too will get this amount of attention. That's why it's okay to discuss his achievements on a football forum, despite the fact that he doesn't play for Hearts, and may never do.

Favourite response No.2 - "no-one else wanted him". This just isn't true, he had other offers, including from England. My guess is that plenty of bottom six Scottish clubs would have loved to have him, but to compete with United, it boils down Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs (Celtic and Rangers don't like to be seen to shop at Lidl, their fans 'deserve' marquee signings). He has history at Aberdeen, who would have to admit they got it wrong, so the Edinburgh clubs were probably the only ones who could have stepped in, had they been keen enough. That may or may not have been a mistake, who knows? Time will tell.

It's important to say that I'm not using any of this as a stick with which to beat Levein - I'm a happy clapper on all things Hearts.

Fair comments and I may add that simply on the basis of what I know (not that much) of the lad i would have taken a chance if I had been CL

BUT

something niggles away in that no other top league manager has taken a chance on him either which rightly or wrongly makes me wonder why

eg is he a dressing-room trouble maker?

or is he asking OTT figures to sign?

or is the length of contract?

or is it the general opinion that he has reached his optimum level?

There's something I'm not quite understanding and BTW I'm sure I read on here that we did approach him.

Spellczech
13 hours ago, been here before said:

Blair Hendersin scored 38 goals for Edinburgh City last seasin in the 4th Division. Imagine he played in Div 3 that might only have been 35 or something. 

Then imagine again it was the 2nd division, perhaps 30?

He'd score for fun in the Premier- easily 25+ but then Levein doesnt like players who score goals.

What utter nonsense...

RS86
22 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

What utter nonsense...

Surely you didn't take that as a serious post? :lol:

Spellczech
6 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Surely you didn't take that as a serious post? :lol:

Haha😯 TBH I only started reading this thread at the top of this page. Was a bit surprised to see it still around...

innerjambo

Scoring goals is way overrated these days anyway, with fans losing their s**t

just because we don't win football matches!! Honestly the world has gone completely bonkers, why on earth would you want to win more matches than lose or draw, seriously??

Some pant wetters on here need to settle down and just enjoy the game more. If we lose or draw who cares?? Remember it's a fun day out, and that's what really matters. 

queensferryjambo

For the people saying Shankland is a Robbo style player putting things into perspective Shankland is 24 and has scored 90 goals in the lower divisions. When John Robertson was 24 he had scored more than 125 goals for Hearts and 85 goals in the top flight.

For people with short memories we played in the Championship with a very average team (not many players made the step up to the Premiership and not many still play at Premiership level) and pumped all the teams in that league stupid - because they were all total shite. There is a big gap between Championship clubs and Premiership clubs even the bottom 6 clubs in the top flight.

Mauricio Pinilla

Can see him bag another hat trick live on tv next Friday. Look forward to the same arguments being carried out for the 9 millionth time this month. 

CJGJ
1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Can see him bag another hat trick live on tv next Friday. Look forward to the same arguments being carried out for the 9 millionth time this month. 

and it still won't prove whether he would have been a good signing or not

It's another thread which gives those who want to put the boot in use by telling us all if only blah blah blah......

I've seen top scoring championship signings come to us before and it was not the success we hoped for

DETTY29

Now that £900 a week basic contract we agreed with his agent last season.....

😉

Edited by DETTY29

Hackney Hearts
6 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I've seen top scoring championship signings come to us before and it was not the success we hoped for

You've not seen a goal-a-game striker come to us. Like I said previously, not saying we should have signed him - just pointing out that LS is a different kettle of fish.

CJGJ
3 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

You've not seen a goal-a-game striker come to us. Like I said previously, not saying we should have signed him - just pointing out that LS is a different kettle of fish.

And when he plays top flight football (and is a success) we may find he is a shark and not a goldfish but until then we don't know

Alex Kintner
11 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

CambridgePunt.jpg

RS86
59 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Haha😯 TBH I only started reading this thread at the top of this page. Was a bit surprised to see it still around...

Me too. It actually seems to be an even older Shankland thread which was recently bumped so even worse lol

Hackney Hearts
19 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

For the people saying Shankland is a Robbo style player putting things into perspective Shankland is 24 and has scored 90 goals in the lower divisions. When John Robertson was 24 he had scored more than 125 goals for Hearts and 85 goals in the top flight.

Not really a fair comparison, as JR started very young as was able to ease himself into a lower league environment. Shankland had a bad experience as a teenager with limited game time at Aberdeen and was therefore a late developer - he's really only just starting his third season, and at the equivalent stage Robbo had scored fewer than 50 goals. Not that anybody's suggesting Shankland is in the same class as Robbo, obviously.

we played in the Championship with a very average team and pumped all the teams in that league stupid - because they were all total shite. 

Clearly not all Championship teams are "total shite". This season, LS has scored 7 goals against 3 teams:

Inverness CT - who we played in the Scottish Cup semi four months ago.

Partick Thistle - who we needed a replay to dispose of in the quarter finals.

Dunfermline - who we struggled to scrape past in the League Cup.

Hackney Hearts
18 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

And when he plays top flight football (and is a success) we may find he is a shark and not a goldfish but until then we don't know

Absolutely true. No-one knows if he can make the step up.

But who's more likely to make the step up - a player who scores 50 in 50 games? Or a player who scores 25 in 50 games? He seems to have a better chance than most, that's all.

TheOak88
1 hour ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Absolutely true. No-one knows if he can make the step up.

But who's more likely to make the step up - a player who scores 50 in 50 games? Or a player who scores 25 in 50 games? He seems to have a better chance than most, that's all.

Absolutely. Seen a lot of people comparing Shankland to Reilly and Keatings. Both these guys had about a 1 in 3 strike rate in the Championship (which is probably about par for a striker). A 1 in 1 strike rate is very rare, and normally suggests the player is playing at a level below themselves. Kinda like when Larsson was at Celtic for example. 

tokyowalnut

He's maybe quite happy collecting a good wage in a league he knows he can score l. Could be that he rejected offers from a higher level because he isn't confident he can make the step up, or doesn't want to risk being on a bench somewhere. By all accounts Utd are paying him very well to stay well in his comfort zone. Could be down to his ambition.

Seymour M Hersh

I'm sure he would have had a least a hat-trick by now against sellik had we signed him. 

Sagan

I'd rather we had him upfront with Washington but it's not going to happen. 

We will struggle to score goals all season without Naismith. 

Our last life line is the boy from Man City. 

queensferryjambo
1 hour ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Not really a fair comparison, as JR started very young as was able to ease himself into a lower league environment. Shankland had a bad experience as a teenager with limited game time at Aberdeen and was therefore a late developer - he's really only just starting his third season, and at the equivalent stage Robbo had scored fewer than 50 goals. Not that anybody's suggesting Shankland is in the same class as Robbo, obviously.

Sorry I disagree with almost everything you have said :) 

Bear with me I am not having a dig at you I was merely having a deeper look into the careers of Robbo and Shankland and came out with a pile of Robbo biased facts LOL

I would also say that people don't realise just how long Shankland has been playing and how much game time he has had. He clearly isn't just starting his 3rd season.

Just for fun here we go -  

1. Robbo and Shankland both started in lower divisions aged 17 (Robbo in a higher division than Shankland at Queens Park). Shankland scored 14 Robbo 21.

2. Robertson was not eased into a lower league environment he was thrown into a crucial season we desperate;y needed to get promoted in. He played week in week out and scored 21 goals. We got promoted and kept on scoring in the top flight.  

3. Robbo scored 52 competitive goals in his first 3 seasons. 

4. If you want to ignore the half seasons Shankland played at Aberdeen and Dunfermline (were Shankland got decent game time for a young player). If you only want to highlight his full seasons played then he scored 32 goals in his first 3 full seasons in lower divisions. Robbo scored 52 in his first 3 season and 2 of them were top flight seasons.

5. Shankland's last 3 seasons were he has hit a purple patch are his 5th, 6th and 7th seasons and in total he scored 71 competitive goals. If you look at Robbo's 5th, 6th and 7th full seasons for Hearts (86/87, 87/88 and 89/90) then he scored 73.

I know stats can be manipulated in any way people want but as I said people were comparing Shankland to Robertson on here and I thought it would be fun to have a better look at Shankland (and get away from the horrible score coming in from Parkhead).

Shankland's stats below -  

2012/13 - Played 40 games for Queens Park scoring 14 goals. (Third Division)

2013/14 - He went to Aberdeen and went out on loan to Dunfermline. Played 14 games and scored 7 goals. (Second Division)

2014/15  - Played 17 games for Aberdeen. No goals. (Premier League)

2015/16 - Played 32 games for St Mirren on loan 10 goals. (Championship) 

2016/17 - Played 42 games on loan at St Mirren then Morton after January window scoring 8 goals between both teams. (Championship) 

2017/18 - He played 33 games and scored 29 goals for Ayr. (League One)

2018/19 - 41 games 34 goals for Ayr. (Championship)

2019/20 - 7 games 9 goals. (Championship)

ri Alban
5 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Shankland does what he done last week and last season, shocker. 

We all need reminded that Shankland is a proven goal scorer at this level, I think most people would forget, but this thread reminds us all. 

Are Zeefuiks goals irrelevant?

ri Alban
27 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Bear with me I am not having a dig at you I was merely having a deeper look into the careers of Robbo and Shankland and came out with a pile of Robbo biased facts LOL

I would also say that people don't realise just how long Shankland has been playing and how much game time he has had. He clearly isn't just starting his 3rd season.

Just for fun here we go -  

1. Robbo and Shankland both started in lower divisions aged 17 (Robbo in a higher division than Shankland at Queens Park). Shankland scored 14 Robbo 21.

2. Robertson was not eased into a lower league environment he was thrown into a crucial season we desperate;y needed to get promoted in. He played week in week out and scored 21 goals. We got promoted and kept on scoring in the top flight.  

3. Robbo scored 52 competitive goals in his first 3 seasons. 

4. If you want to ignore the half seasons Shankland played at Aberdeen and Dunfermline (were Shankland got decent game time for a young player). If you only want to highlight his full seasons played then he scored 32 goals in his first 3 full seasons in lower divisions. Robbo scored 52 in his first 3 season and 2 of them were top flight seasons.

5. Shankland's last 3 seasons were he has hit a purple patch are his 5th, 6th and 7th seasons and in total he scored 71 competitive goals. If you look at Robbo's 5th, 6th and 7th full seasons for Hearts (86/87, 87/88 and 89/90) then he scored 73.

I know stats can be manipulated in any way people want but as I said people were comparing Shankland to Robertson on here and I thought it would be fun to have a better look at Shankland (and get away from the horrible score coming in from Parkhead).

Shankland's stats below -  

2012/13 - Played 40 games for Queens Park scoring 14 goals. (Third Division)

2013/14 - He went to Aberdeen and went out on loan to Dunfermline. Played 14 games and scored 7 goals. (Second Division)

2015/16 - Played 32 games for St Mirren on loan 10 goals. (Championship) 

2016/17 - Played 42 games on loan at St Mirren then Morton after January window scoring 8 goals between both teams. (Championship) 

2017/18 - He played 33 games and scored 29 goals for Ayr. (League One)

2018/19 - 41 games 34 goals for Ayr. (Championship)

2019/20 - 7 games 9 goals. (Championship)

Improved, hasn't he. And there's only one John Robertson (If you don't count the others)

Stop comparing people to Robbo please. 

Edited by ri Alban

Natural Orders
1 hour ago, Sagan said:

I'd rather we had him upfront with Washington but it's not going to happen. 

We will struggle to score goals all season without Naismith. 

Our last life line is the boy from Man City. 

This 

queensferryjambo
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Improved, hasn't he. And there's only one John Robertson (If you don't count the others)

Stop comparing people to Robbo please. 

It was other people earlier in the thread who used the Robbo comparison I merely gave my thoughts on their comparison. 

Oh and I can compare Robbo to any other player I want thank you very much, this is a discussion forum last time I checked.

I think Robbo was shit in goals compared to Niemi by the way :)  

Mauricio Pinilla

THIS

ri Alban
1 minute ago, queensferryjambo said:

It was other people earlier in the thread who used the Robbo comparison I merely gave my thoughts on their comparison. 

Oh and I can compare Robbo to any other player I want thank you very much, this is a discussion forum last time I checked.

I think Robbo was shit in goals compared to Niemi by the way :)  

I meant everyone, sorry. Nobody compares to God.

queensferryjambo
Just now, ri Alban said:

I meant everyone, sorry. Nobody compares to God.

OK you got it. I can't argue with that :)

Smith's right boot
20 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Are Zeefuiks goals irrelevant?

:random:

Hackney Hearts
19 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

I would also say that people don't realise just how long Shankland has been playing and how much game time he has had.

2. Robertson was not eased into a lower league environment he was thrown into a crucial season we desperate;y needed to get promoted in. He played week in week out and scored 21 goals.

4. If you want to ignore the half seasons Shankland played at Aberdeen and Dunfermline (were Shankland got decent game time for a young player). 

Good stuff - can't get enough Robbo biased facts!

I don't have time to check all the Shankland stats (and as you say, stats can be twisted to suit a point of view) - however, a couple of things leapt out at me because I've looked at the figures previously:

Shankland may have appeared in 17 Aberdeen matches, but in terms of game time he got the grand total of 2.75 matches - mostly coming on for the last 2 or 3 minutes as a sub. Not helpful for a striker's development.

Which leads me on to Robbo's breakthrough season (your point [2] above) - perhaps "eased into" was the wrong phrase, but he was introduced in a lower (easier) league, and yes he played week in week out, but that's exactly what you want as a striker, continuity and game time to build confidence and refine your art.

Anyway, LS is not and never will be a Robbo - he's a late developer who just happens to be racking up some very impressive goalscoring figures.

been here before

How do Lionel Messi's stats stand up against Shankland's?

Rather poorly I would imagine.

queensferryjambo
5 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Shankland may have appeared in 17 Aberdeen matches, but in terms of game time he got the grand total of 2.75 matches - mostly coming on for the last 2 or 3 minutes as a sub. Not helpful for a striker's development.

Yes unfortunately the site with the stats I used only had appearances but unfortunately never said if they were subs appearances and minutes played.

Masonic

he is like robbo because hes a scottish poacher and scores goals nobodys saying he is anywhere near robbos calibre overall

doesnt matter though because he "couldnt score" against the big bad prem defenders at clubs like ross county and hamilton

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, Masonic said:

doesnt matter though because he "couldnt score" against the big bad prem defenders at clubs like ross county and hamilton

Just like our present set of strikers

Personally I think Shankland is well out of it. Hearts are currently a club where strikers are ostracised.

Edited by Maroon Sailor