Jump to content
22games nro

Lawrence Shankland

Recommended Posts

Jim Panzee
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Well put.

 

Succinctly, if you will :thumbsup:

 

If only real life was like playing a football manager game on a computer. 

 

Signing a player who who scores a bucket load of goals for one team doesn't always guarantee you get the same for your team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brighton Jambo

Please please please please give it a [email protected]@@@@ rest about Shankland.

 

the manager who didnt sign him has now gone so why is this thread still getting raised every time he scores.

 

folk need to get over it and move on.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smartinmaroon
Just now, Jim Panzee said:

 

If only real life was like playing a football manager game on a computer. 

 

Signing a player who who scores a bucket load of goals for one team doesn't always guarantee you get the same for your team.

Of course not, no player is guaranteed to be successful when you bring them in. 

But simply, strikers should score. 

Ours aren’t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smartinmaroon
Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

Please please please please give it a [email protected]@@@@ rest about Shankland.

 

the manager who didnt sign him has now gone so why is this thread still getting raised every time he scores.

 

folk need to get over it and move on.  

Debate disallowed on football forum shock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim Panzee
1 minute ago, smartinmaroon said:

Of course not, no player is guaranteed to be successful when you bring them in. 

But simply, strikers should score. 

Ours aren’t

Can't disagree.

 

but how many clear cut tap in / chances do we create?

 

we don't need a shankland. We need a Naismith, Walker and Washington (as per budget) to create/ score chances.

 

shankland would maybe flourish at Celtic, but who would get dropped in their team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smartinmaroon
Just now, Jim Panzee said:

Can't disagree.

 

but how many clear cut tap in / chances do we create?

 

we don't need a shankland. We need a Naismith, Walker and Washington (as per budget) to create/ score chances.

 

shankland would maybe flourish at Celtic, but who would get dropped in their team?

We surely don’t need to be Celtic(thank F#*#) to try to build a team that can pass into the box?

 

Suppose I agree in so much as we have who we have, and the truth is many of our best are injured.  With them all fit (Which seems like an unobtainable dream) I wouldn’t likely be so bloody depressed and whingeing about needing a goalscorer! 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brighton Jambo
11 minutes ago, smartinmaroon said:

Debate disallowed on football forum shock

What’s being debated any more?  What could possibly be said by anyone that hasn’t been said 100 times already.  

 

Is this ‘debate’ going to continue every time he scores a goal.  

 

I could sort of understand it when CL was in position as it was a stick to beat him with but he’s gone now, nothing would make Dundee United sell him in January  so why are people literally just trotting out the same stuff every week?  It’s ridiculous 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smartinmaroon

See previous post- discursive 

ignore the thread if it grinds your gears so badly! Plenty other sh#*€ to comment on across the glorious site which is JKB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShedBoy
22 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Why are they so great, why didn't we have them before, what has it got to do with football in general? 

 

For football clubs to show respect en masse? I mean how else can a football club show to the watching world, live on tv, their gratitude, thanks and respect to those men women and children who made the ultimate sacrifice in all these conflicts so that we can live how we live, without wearing a poppy? 

 

 

Its all about respect 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodami
42 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

 

For football clubs to show respect en masse? I mean how else can a football club show to the watching world, live on tv, their gratitude, thanks and respect to those men women and children who made the ultimate sacrifice in all these conflicts so that we can live how we live, without wearing a poppy? 

 

 

Its all about respect 👍🏻

I wonder if it is about respect. It's become a homogeneous response in the same way that everyone on TV has to wear a poppy. That's not respect, that's mindless conformity. By all means buy a poppy and wear it to show your respect and contribute to services charities. That is a personal choice but should it be a duty to wear it regardless? I'm not so sure. 

 

It's got nothing to do with football in particular but strangely football is the only sport to do this. For example jockeys won't be wearing poppies on their britches tomorrow and you could make a much stronger argument that equestrianism has much closer ties to the military. It also creates situations like the Maclean one and probably more interestingly the Vidic situation when he was at Manchester United. That's needless, Maclean has been pretty much vilified by many people but no one mentions it when they talk about Vidic. It scratches an itch which is best left alone. 

Edited by Jodami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
annushorribilis III
33 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I wonder if it is about respect. It's become a homogeneous response in the same way that everyone on TV has to wear a poppy. That's not respect, that's mindless conformity. By all means buy a poppy and wear it to show your respect and contribute to services charities. That is a personal choice but should it be a duty to wear it regardless? I'm not so sure. 

 

It's got nothing to do with football in particular but strangely football is the only sport to do this. For example jockeys won't be wearing poppies on their britches tomorrow and you could make a much stronger argument that equestrianism has much closer ties to the military. It also creates situations like the Maclean one and probably more interestingly the Vidic situation when he was at Manchester United. That's needless, Maclean has been pretty much vilified by many people but no one mentions it when they talk about Vidic. It scratches an itch which is best left alone. 

It's got a lot to do with football. During WWI there was an attempt to have football shut down because British troops were dying and it was deemed inappropriate that football should be played at all. Football grounds were used as recruiting grounds  : but no one wanted to join up, hence conscription was introduced. 

 

Buy a poppy, don't buy a poppy : we live in a democracy where people have the freedoms those soldiers fought for. Wearing a poppy doesn't mean support for war: it's a recognition that many people died fighting for the freedoms we take for granted today.

I totally understand why people like Mclean chose not to but it doesn't diminish the sacrifice that our people made to make the world a better place. And often they had no choice in the matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Byyy The Light
3 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

It's got a lot to do with football. During WWI there was an attempt to have football shut down because British troops were dying and it was deemed inappropriate that football should be played at all. Football grounds were used as recruiting grounds  : but no one wanted to join up, hence conscription was introduced. 

 

Buy a poppy, don't buy a poppy : we live in a democracy where people have the freedoms those soldiers fought for. Wearing a poppy doesn't mean support for war: it's a recognition that many people died fighting for the freedoms we take for granted today.

I totally understand why people like Mclean chose not to but it doesn't diminish the sacrifice that our people made to make the world a better place. And often they had no choice in the matter. 

 

Both of your posts are part of a bigger societal issue. It’s upsetting that it’s got to this stage in a so called progressive society.  We’re supposed to be better off but the reality seems that we’re anything but. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodami
9 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

It's got a lot to do with football. During WWI there was an attempt to have football shut down because British troops were dying and it was deemed inappropriate that football should be played at all. Football grounds were used as recruiting grounds  : but no one wanted to join up, hence conscription was introduced. 

 

Buy a poppy, don't buy a poppy : we live in a democracy where people have the freedoms those soldiers fought for. Wearing a poppy doesn't mean support for war: it's a recognition that many people died fighting for the freedoms we take for granted today.

I totally understand why people like Mclean chose not to but it doesn't diminish the sacrifice that our people made to make the world a better place. And often they had no choice in the matter. 

There is no connection between football and conscription, conscription was introduced due to the ultimate failure of the Derby scheme. I do know that the FA in England did actively help recruitment before conscription, not sure about the SFA. 

At no point am I diminishing people dying for their countries or people's choice of wearing a poppy and donating. The crux of my discomfort is poppy shirts and why it's only football that does this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Byyy The Light
5 minutes ago, Jodami said:

There is no connection between football and conscription, conscription was introduced due to the ultimate failure of the Derby scheme. I do know that the FA in England did actively help recruitment before conscription, not sure about the SFA. 

At no point am I diminishing people dying for their countries or people's choice of wearing a poppy and donating. The crux of my discomfort is poppy shirts and why it's only football that does this. 

 

It’s the very definition of virtue signalling.

 

It’s especially uncomfortable for those who are happy to monetise it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCR
5 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

It's got a lot to do with football. During WWI there was an attempt to have football shut down because British troops were dying and it was deemed inappropriate that football should be played at all. Football grounds were used as recruiting grounds  : but no one wanted to join up, hence conscription was introduced. 

 

Buy a poppy, don't buy a poppy : we live in a democracy where people have the freedoms those soldiers fought for. Wearing a poppy doesn't mean support for war: it's a recognition that many people died fighting for the freedoms we take for granted today.

I totally understand why people like Mclean chose not to but it doesn't diminish the sacrifice that our people made to make the world a better place. And often they had no choice in the matter. 


The poppy thing is some what ridiculous, given we’re at the point where the One Show put a poppy on the Sesame Street Cookie Monster puppet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamboAl

With Hearts' history we should all be displaying a poppy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mauricio Pinilla
9 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

No poppy on his shirt tonight. Goes into the James McCLean bracket.

 

 

**** him

 

:lol:

 

I'm liking shank more and more all the time. Get him signed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...