FWJ

Mike Ashley Buys Jenners

doctor jambo
6 minutes ago, Locky said:

Mike Ashley is a ****.

He is, but we are all to blame.

He is very good at what he does.

School shoes for the kids- either pay £60 for something they will grow out of in a year from somewhere, or £15 from SD.- when you have 3 kids that's a vast difference.- save yourself £140 on shoes.

You need to remember that a lot of the stuff in there used to be the same overpriced kack you still buy elsewhere- Soviet, Everlast, Hot Tuna, Ocean Pacific, Quicksilver, Converse, Vans, Firetrap, Pierre Cardin.

Even Nike etc are much cheaper in there.

Tazio
10 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

He is, but we are all to blame.

He is very good at what he does.

School shoes for the kids- either pay £60 for something they will grow out of in a year from somewhere, or £15 from SD.- when you have 3 kids that's a vast difference.- save yourself £140 on shoes.

You need to remember that a lot of the stuff in there used to be the same overpriced kack you still buy elsewhere- Soviet, Everlast, Hot Tuna, Ocean Pacific, Quicksilver, Converse, Vans, Firetrap, Pierre Cardin.

Even Nike etc are much cheaper in there.

Very true. I was on the lookout for a new pair of Adidas Sambas recently. Close to £80 in Schuh, £55 in Sports Direct. 

spirt of 98
4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

What/who are No Fear? 

Cheap shity brand usually sold at Sports Direct which has no place being punted in Jenner’s. 

fabienleclerq

Was in Jenner's recently, was really run down and just had the feel of a shop that won't be there for long.

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Was in Jenner's recently, was really run down and just had the feel of a shop that won't be there for long.

Agreed.

I was in just before Christmas. It was a pretty tired and sorry looking place. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

The only time I ever go to Jenners is to check the menswear sale after Christmas but this year the choice was pretty small and nothing stood out. I would have been better going to TKmax across the street. 

Now the Morningside blue rinse generation are slowly becoming a thing of the past I can't see jenners lasting in its current form.

doctor jambo
16 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The only time I ever go to Jenners is to check the menswear sale after Christmas but this year the choice was pretty small and nothing stood out. I would have been better going to TKmax across the street. 

Now the Morningside blue rinse generation are slowly becoming a thing of the past I can't see jenners lasting in its current form.

This is what I don't get

The only folks not horribly ripped by the recession were the pensioners, yet M&S and Jenners seem unable to sell to their core customers?

All roads lead to Gorgie
48 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

This is what I don't get

The only folks not horribly ripped by the recession were the pensioners, yet M&S and Jenners seem unable to sell to their core customers?

I suppose the younger pensioners are becoming internet savvy and are now shopping online or the older ones are getting younger relatives to do so for them. Lots of companies are now selling things that would not be out of place at Jenners or M&S but at cheaper prices. Despite Jenners selling designer brands aimed at the young the shop still appears to be old and stuffy and that probably puts younger people off shopping there. 

wallace_mercer

The thread title is misleading - sports direct bought HOF out of admin.

they actually bought the Glasgow HOF building not Edinburgh

they have not purchased Jenner’s department store  

ericb
4 hours ago, wallace_mercer said:

The thread title is misleading - sports direct bought HOF out of admin.

they actually bought the Glasgow HOF building not Edinburgh

they have not purchased Jenner’s department store  

Jenners is owned by HoF, which is owned by SD, not the clearest of titles, but technically correct.

redm

The business (and 20 years+ lease) is owned by Jenners which was owned by House of Fraser and which is now presumably owned by Sports Direct/Ashley...

but the building is owned by "Danish billionaire property magnate Anders Povlsen" apparently: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/jenners-snapped-up-in-50m-deal-1-4572335

Unless things have changed since that article, which they might have done.

Prediction: it'll be a hotel within ten years :oldsad:

Governor Tarkin

Do folk still go to shops?

luckyBatistuta
On 14/01/2019 at 13:29, Locky said:

Mike Ashley is a ****.

Couldn’t have put it better. Will be the final nail for Princes Street when Jenners goes 🙁

wallace_mercer
On 16/01/2019 at 12:49, ericb said:

Jenners is owned by HoF, which is owned by SD, not the clearest of titles, but technically correct.

Jenners is not owned by HOF 

SD who now own HOF have a lease over the building 

ericb
49 minutes ago, wallace_mercer said:

Jenners is not owned by HOF 

SD who now own HOF have a lease over the building 

Jenner's the business is owned by HoF , the building it is housed in may not be but that doesn't make it any less a HoF business

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, ericb said:

Jenner's the business is owned by HoF , the building it is housed in may not be but that doesn't make it any less a HoF business

Ah but what is the famous Edinburgh landmark? The building or the contents? The day HoF took over Jenners was the day that great Edinburgh institution died. 

wallace_mercer
23 hours ago, ericb said:

Indeed, I was talking about the building