Mike Ashley Buys Jenners

FWJ

10 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

He is, but we are all to blame.

He is very good at what he does.

School shoes for the kids- either pay £60 for something they will grow out of in a year from somewhere, or £15 from SD.- when you have 3 kids that's a vast difference.- save yourself £140 on shoes.

You need to remember that a lot of the stuff in there used to be the same overpriced kack you still buy elsewhere- Soviet, Everlast, Hot Tuna, Ocean Pacific, Quicksilver, Converse, Vans, Firetrap, Pierre Cardin.

Even Nike etc are much cheaper in there.

Very true. I was on the lookout for a new pair of Adidas Sambas recently. Close to £80 in Schuh, £55 in Sports Direct. 

4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

What/who are No Fear? 

Cheap shity brand usually sold at Sports Direct which has no place being punted in Jenner’s. 

fabienleclerq

Was in Jenner's recently, was really run down and just had the feel of a shop that won't be there for long.

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Was in Jenner's recently, was really run down and just had the feel of a shop that won't be there for long.

Agreed.

I was in just before Christmas. It was a pretty tired and sorry looking place. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

The only time I ever go to Jenners is to check the menswear sale after Christmas but this year the choice was pretty small and nothing stood out. I would have been better going to TKmax across the street. 

Now the Morningside blue rinse generation are slowly becoming a thing of the past I can't see jenners lasting in its current form.

16 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The only time I ever go to Jenners is to check the menswear sale after Christmas but this year the choice was pretty small and nothing stood out. I would have been better going to TKmax across the street. 

Now the Morningside blue rinse generation are slowly becoming a thing of the past I can't see jenners lasting in its current form.

This is what I don't get

The only folks not horribly ripped by the recession were the pensioners, yet M&S and Jenners seem unable to sell to their core customers?

All roads lead to Gorgie
48 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

This is what I don't get

The only folks not horribly ripped by the recession were the pensioners, yet M&S and Jenners seem unable to sell to their core customers?

I suppose the younger pensioners are becoming internet savvy and are now shopping online or the older ones are getting younger relatives to do so for them. Lots of companies are now selling things that would not be out of place at Jenners or M&S but at cheaper prices. Despite Jenners selling designer brands aimed at the young the shop still appears to be old and stuffy and that probably puts younger people off shopping there. 

Tynecastle Valhalla

The thread title is misleading - sports direct bought HOF out of admin.

they actually bought the Glasgow HOF building not Edinburgh

they have not purchased Jenner’s department store  

4 hours ago, wallace_mercer said:

The thread title is misleading - sports direct bought HOF out of admin.

they actually bought the Glasgow HOF building not Edinburgh

they have not purchased Jenner’s department store  

Jenners is owned by HoF, which is owned by SD, not the clearest of titles, but technically correct.

The business (and 20 years+ lease) is owned by Jenners which was owned by House of Fraser and which is now presumably owned by Sports Direct/Ashley...

but the building is owned by "Danish billionaire property magnate Anders Povlsen" apparently: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/jenners-snapped-up-in-50m-deal-1-4572335

Unless things have changed since that article, which they might have done.

Prediction: it'll be a hotel within ten years :oldsad:

luckyBatistuta
On 14/01/2019 at 13:29, Locky said:

Mike Ashley is a ****.

Couldn’t have put it better. Will be the final nail for Princes Street when Jenners goes ?

Tynecastle Valhalla
On 16/01/2019 at 12:49, ericb said:

Jenners is owned by HoF, which is owned by SD, not the clearest of titles, but technically correct.

Jenners is not owned by HOF 

SD who now own HOF have a lease over the building 

49 minutes ago, wallace_mercer said:

Jenners is not owned by HOF 

SD who now own HOF have a lease over the building 

Jenner's the business is owned by HoF , the building it is housed in may not be but that doesn't make it any less a HoF business

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, ericb said:

Jenner's the business is owned by HoF , the building it is housed in may not be but that doesn't make it any less a HoF business

Ah but what is the famous Edinburgh landmark? The building or the contents? The day HoF took over Jenners was the day that great Edinburgh institution died. 

Tynecastle Valhalla
23 hours ago, ericb said:

Indeed, I was talking about the building 

• 10 months later...
On 16/01/2019 at 13:31, redm said:

The business (and 20 years+ lease) is owned by Jenners which was owned by House of Fraser and which is now presumably owned by Sports Direct/Ashley...

but the building is owned by "Danish billionaire property magnate Anders Povlsen" apparently: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/jenners-snapped-up-in-50m-deal-1-4572335

Unless things have changed since that article, which they might have done.

Prediction: it'll be a hotel within ten years :oldsad:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-50558746

Sooner than 10 years by the looks of it.

I think it’s a sad day - it looks like the end of a real Edinburgh institution.

I read elsewhere that Poundland are opening on Princes Street.

Sad times.

Edited by FWJ

Shanks said no
6 minutes ago, FWJ said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-50558746

Sooner than 10 years by the looks of it.

I think it’s a sad day - it looks like the end of a real Edinburgh institution.

I read elsewhere that Poundland are opening on Princes Street.

Sad times.

Poundland is open

Image result for poundland princes street

sad day

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Retail has been unable to adapt to the modern shopper.

Traditional high street shopping is dead.

I’m not sure that it’s dead - it’s certainly changing dramatically.

And I mourn that change.

5 hours ago, FWJ said:

I’m not sure that it’s dead - it’s certainly changing dramatically.

And I mourn that change.

Yet you look at cities like Cardiff, Manchester, Leeds and the high street is very much alive an kicking with thousands of shoppers every day - not just at the weekends. Large city centre shopping centres filled to the brim and streets lined with shops that are all busy. They recognised what folk wanted and spent millions on renovation and rejuvenation. 

Edinburgh is utterly shite for shopping. Its no real surprise Princes Street now has a poundland. 

Carl Fredrickson
9 hours ago, The Brow said:

Yet you look at cities like Cardiff, Manchester, Leeds and the high street is very much alive an kicking with thousands of shoppers every day - not just at the weekends. Large city centre shopping centres filled to the brim and streets lined with shops that are all busy. They recognised what folk wanted and spent millions on renovation and rejuvenation. 

Edinburgh is utterly shite for shopping. Its no real surprise Princes Street now has a poundland. 

I agree with your comments Re other cities. York is another - a very small city that seems to have a vibrant shopping area. 

My thoughts are that the new St James will be the final nail in the Princes Street coffin. Once retail goes i think it will become only hotels and restaurants on Princes Street. 

Always makes me laugh when commentators blame the internet for all the ills of the high street, utterly oblivious to the enormous out-of-town shopping centres which seem to line every single city and large town.

I mean, look at Edinburgh. We've got Newcraighall, Straiton, the Gyle and Ocean Terminal, not to mention the retail apocalypse that is Livingston.

Reckon we'll see Princes Street change from retail into more leisure-type uses, any higher end stuff will probably gravitate to St James or George St.

I suspect retail will drift to the east end of Princes Street (maybe east of ?Hanover Street) and west of that will be hotel / leisure - anchored by the ‘Johnny Walker Experience’ in Binns. 

That end of Princes Street has the best views of the castle so would suit hotels on the upper floors.

I’m kind of glad that Danish boy has bought the Jenner’s building.

It’s one of the most beautiful buildings in the Country, The Stone masonry is exceptional but Jenner’s have let it fall into disrepair and can’t afford to maintain it properly. This Danish guy is big on conservation and will ensure that it is repaired and maintained correctly. 

1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

Always makes me laugh when commentators blame the internet for all the ills of the high street, utterly oblivious to the enormous out-of-town shopping centres which seem to line every single city and large town.

CECs never-ending war on cars in the city centre (regardless of it's merits) hasn't helped either. Why would you bother with the misery of taking a car into town rather than just go to the Gyle, Straiton, etc?

1 hour ago, trotter said:

CECs never-ending war on cars in the city centre (regardless of it's merits) hasn't helped either. Why would you bother with the misery of taking a car into town rather than just go to the Gyle, Straiton, etc?

To be fair, I've endured quite a bit of misery in the car at Hermiston, Straiton, Newcraighall etc too.

40 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

To be fair, I've endured quite a bit of misery in the car at Hermiston, Straiton, Newcraighall etc too.

But Shirley nowhere near as bad as attempting a trip 'up town'?

15 minutes ago, trotter said:

But Shirley nowhere near as bad as attempting a trip 'up town'?

Last time I was at Hermiston I got stuck in a gridlocked car park for about an hour. Some smartarse has decided to build a restaurant in the middle of the car park!

If I'm going up the town, I'll usually take a bus or a tram, or if it's a quick visit dump the car in Somerfield at Dalry and walk in.

• 1 year later...
On 10/08/2018 at 17:29, maroondevo52 said:

I put the Gold Leaf on the big letters on the outside of Jenners in princes street.

(Bit of a bump...)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-56773224

Your handiwork has been found, safe and sound.  Glad it’s going to be put back up.  I’m sure I read that the globe at the corner of RW Forsyth’s building had to be put back too.

maroondevo52
6 hours ago, FWJ said:

(Bit of a bump...)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-56773224

Your handiwork has been found, safe and sound.  Glad it’s going to be put back up.  I’m sure I read that the globe at the corner of RW Forsyth’s building had to be put back too.

Thanks for that.

I remember I was working with the Signwriter at Edinburgh Decorators in a workshop in Dewar Place Lane.

The letters were rotten and had a lot of cracks through them, a Joiner spend some time patching them up and replacing the damaged parts. 

We then primed them and applied a few coats of undercoat before a coat of Glue Size then the Gold Leaf.

I'm sure we got the Gold Leaf from Craig & Rose when they were in Leith Walk.

Looking at the Letters in the picture, I very much doubt they are the same ones and have been changed over the years.

I also painted the Flag pole on the roof, one of the scariest jobs I did.