Mother and Child Arrested in Dubai

Deviskan

Has anyone read about this in the news today?

You often read stories like this about tourists/visitors to Dubai, but this one really shocked me!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6044095/Mother-locked-three-days-daughter-sweltering-Dubai-jail.html

Fair enough it was quite idiotic to film (an already angry) Immigration official (although thanks to Facebook etc, it appears whipping out your camera phone to film situations for evidence is the new norm)...but surely this is crossing the line of basic common sense/decency, to lock up a mother and 4 year old child for three days over something so miniscule.

Would imagine it will make anyone thinking about visiting Dubai have second thoughts.

Surely there should be some comeback on Emirates Airlines, if they are knowingly serving alcohol to people visiting Dubai when it's illegal to even have it in your blood system in when you arrive in the country?

People should be aware that the norms of Western society will not necessarily be evident in places like Dubai.     The culture is different and the way people are treated in regards to law & order is different.     Customs and values are different.       It's naive to expect the same outcomes as one would expect in Europe for doing the same thing.

The outcome is wholly wrong of course but why would you expose yourself to the risk?      

8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

People should be aware that the norms of Western society will not necessarily be evident in places like Dubai.     The culture is different and the way people are treated in regards to law & order is different.     Customs and values are different.       It's naive to expect the same outcomes as one would expect in Europe for doing the same thing.

The outcome is wholly wrong of course but why would you expose yourself to the risk?      

Agreed. But surely Emirates Airlines should be taken to task for serving alcohol on a flight to a country where they know it’s illegal to have even consumed the stuff.

3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Agreed. But surely Emirates Airlines should be taken to task for serving alcohol on a flight to a country where they know it’s illegal to have even consumed the stuff.

That's a complete red herring and otherwise wouldn't have caused any problem.     It's quite clear it's come into play as a result of the confrontation.    She seems to have suffered rough justice as a result of the visa issue and subsequent confrontation.      

its not really anything to do with the alcohol - the headline is bullshit.

The issue was with the visa and the mothers attitude.... and they certainly dont tolerate western 'attitudes' in Dubai.

Correct.  To expose yourself to that risk is stupidity.    To expose the child to it is extreme stupidity.    I hope somebody tells her that in no uncertain terms.

26 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That's a complete red herring and otherwise wouldn't have caused any problem.     It's quite clear it's come into play as a result of the confrontation.    She seems to have suffered rough justice as a result of the visa issue and subsequent confrontation.      

That may be the case (that it was a result of the confrontation, and the Immigration Officer wanting some retribution at a woman for giving him grief)...But, you're completely wrong in my opinion regarding Emirates Airlines.

If it's illegal to even have alcohol in your blood system upon entry to Dubai, then Emirates should be held liable for offering complimentary alcoholic drinks on their flights to Dubai...as in essence, they are compliant in visitors breaking the law (particularly if they provide no confirmation of the risks prior to offering alcohol to potentially unsuspecting tourists).

What makes it worse...is the fact that the Immigration Officer (or their superiors) applied absolutely no common sense with respect to a woman travelling with a 4 year old child...locking them up for 3 days in a detention cell, sorry but that is draconian in the extreme.

5 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

That may be the case (that it was a result of the confrontation, and the Immigration Officer wanting some retribution at a woman for giving him grief)...But, you're completely wrong in my opinion regarding Emirates Airlines.

If it's illegal to even have alcohol in your blood system upon entry to Dubai, then Emirates should be held liable for offering complimentary alcoholic drinks on their flights to Dubai...as in essence, they are compliant in visitors breaking the law (particularly if they provide no confirmation of the risks prior to offering alcohol to potentially unsuspecting tourists).

What makes it worse...is the fact that the Immigration Officer (or their superiors) applied absolutely no common sense with respect to a woman travelling with a 4 year old child...locking them up for 3 days in a detention cell, sorry but that is draconian in the extreme.

Yeah all that is known and yes,   it certainly is rough treatment.     But the fact remains that the alcohol issue was only introduced as a result of her failure to make sure she had a visa and the subsequent confrontation.    

When you go to Dubai,   you should be aware of the cultural hazards and also behave cautiously.    She clearly failed on both.

The Internet

Was in Dubai recently. Had a drink on the plane. Managed to not get myself jailed. 

Also emirates is like THE main airline for flights to Dubai. You'd think if they really had an issue with people arriving with a glass of wine in their system then emirates would have been found out and had it stopped a long time ago. 

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Was in Dubai recently. Had a drink on the plane. Managed to not get myself jailed. 

Also emirates is like THE main airline for flights to Dubai. You'd think if they really had an issue with people arriving with a glass of wine in their system then emirates would have been found out and had it stopped a long time ago. 

Correct.    People focussing on the alcohol angle and the (known and agreed) draconian results is just silly and missing the entire point.

John Findlay
43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Correct.  To expose yourself to that risk is stupidity.    To expose the child to it is extreme stupidity.    I hope somebody tells her that in no uncertain terms.

British Embassy officials will. With regard to alcohol. It is not banned in the UAE and is widely available. It's typical Daily Mail xenophobia. Brit good, Johnny foreigner bad. The mother behaved like a pratt full stop.

Edited by John Findlay

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

British Embassy officials will. With regard to alcohol. It is not banned in the UAE and is widely available. It's typical Daily Mail xenophobia. Brit good, Johnny foreigner bad. The mother behaved like a pratt full stop.

Correct but the Daily Mail readers lap this stuff up. Now read the article and it is unbelievable rubbish from start to finish. Designed to have a go at these nasty Muslims and no coincidence it appears during the latest Boris islamaphobic rant.  

Edited by XB52

So she expected special treatment because she was too stupid to check her Visa before she tried to enter? 

The response was wholly inappropriate and one of the many reasons I would never visit somewhere like Dubai but the issue has nothing to do with alcohol and everything to do with an entitled idiot thinking they’re above the law. 

She failed to check if her visa was valid - her fault. She started filming in an area that, as far as I can tell anytime I've travelled, is ALWAYS signposted that no filming or photography is allowed, even in the UK - her fault. 

The only part she can offload any blame is the alcohol part in which, in my opinion, should be shared with the airline. 

"My poor daughter was just so tired and I don't see why they couldn't let us renew our visa there". I don't see why the mother couldn't have checked to see if it was valid before taking her there in the first place. 

Oooft, I wonder how many of you would be coming out with this if that was your wife and daughter...easy to judge isn't it guys.

I'll stick with my point...any country that feels what happened deserved locking up a mother and 4 year old child for 3 days...is a disgrace.

3 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Oooft, I wonder how many of you would be coming out with this if that was your wife and daughter...easy to judge isn't it guys.

I'll stick with my point...any country that feels what happened deserved locking up a mother and 4 year old child for 3 days...is a disgrace.

It's called having (failing to have) some personal responsibility.    Western culture encourages an abdication of responsibility and people expect someone else to take the blame.    People errantly believe their actions have no consequences.

The child had no say in this.   No choice.    It is the child who should receive the sympathy.

10 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

If the mother had just gone back home like she was instructed to, due to a failure entirely on her behalf, they'd have been fine. Instead, she ****s up, wants special treatment and breaks more laws by getting her camera out.

Was the punishment harsh? Yes, definitely, but the mother is the one who could have stopped it happening by either having the proper visa, going home to re-apply or not getting her camera out. 

John Findlay
18 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

It maybe a disgrace to you. But, if it had been my wife with our 4yr old daughter the conversation I would have had with her would have been not to her liking.

Maroon Sailor

Should have kept her gob shut and do what she was told to do.

Got no time for Arabs, the most miserable people I have ever seen, but as far as allowing people in to their country I'm glad it's strict.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

It's called having (failing to have) some personal responsibility.    Western culture encourages an abdication of responsibility and people expect someone else to take the blame.    People errantly believe their actions have no consequences.

The child had no say in this.   No choice.    It is the child who should receive the sympathy.

Which is kind of the point I'm highlighting...locking up a 4 year old child (for 3 days) in essentially an open prison holding cell with other inmates, because the parent made a miniscule mistake...is ridiculous (instead of applying any common sense whatsoever).

The Immigration Official could have simply removed her to a side room, asked a superior office to explain the process again...and allowed the situation to de-escalate.

But you guys are right, it was fully appropriate to lock up a child in prison...because of a mistake made be the mother.

2 hours ago, XB52 said:

Correct but the Daily Mail readers lap this stuff up. Now read the article and it is unbelievable rubbish from start to finish. Designed to have a go at these nasty Muslims and no coincidence it appears during the latest Boris islamaphobic rant.  

:spoton:

7 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Which is kind of the point I'm highlighting...locking up a 4 year old child (for 3 days) in essentially an open prison holding cell with other inmates, because the parent made a miniscule mistake...is ridiculous (instead of applying any common sense whatsoever).

The Immigration Official could have simply removed her to a side room, asked a superior office to explain the process again...and allowed the situation to de-escalate.

But you guys are right, it was fully appropriate to lock up a child in prison...because of a mistake made be the mother.

Don't think anyone was saying that.

Fly with the crows, you get shot with them.  If you go to the UAE, without a visa, and then get stroppy that's how you'll get treated.

Out of order, yes, no one saying other, but it would seem that's what it is like there.  

Imagine they had seperated the child and put her in care and chucked the mother in jail... :wow:

3 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Don't really understand this. Ive been to Dubai several times in the last 5 or 6 years. Visa's are not required in advance if you are a UK citizen. You step off the plane, present your passport and they stamp it with a 30 day Visa. I went in and out 3 times in a 30 day period one time. No challenge whatsoever. Mind you I hadn't been drinking, wasn't a woman and wasn't belligerent and filming where every tom dick and harry knows you are not allowed to. Must be more to this I feel.

Alcohol is freely available on Emirates flights and theres no limit to how much you can have if you ask. I wouldn't turn up there drunk myself and certainly stoating about the streets singing the sash would be a no no. But alcohol is also freely available in hotels in Dubai. You see expats stoating about all the time outside hotels and its not really nice to see but its tolerated unless and until you make an erse of yourself. Dubai's ability to attract foreign tourists would be negligible if they enforced an alcohol ban and the restrictions are aimed at their own citizens rather than Johnny Foreigner.

Edited by Escobar PHM

39 minutes ago, Boris said:

Don't think anyone was saying that.

Fly with the crows, you get shot with them.  If you go to the UAE, without a visa, and then get stroppy that's how you'll get treated.

Out of order, yes, no one saying other, but it would seem that's what it is like there.  

Imagine they had seperated the child and put her in care and chucked the mother in jail... :wow:

I was simply shocked that they locked up a mother (and particularly) a 4 year old child over something like this.

Essentially, it would fully deter me from ever wanting to visit Dubai.

Note...this story isn't just in the Daily Mail, I chose to use that link rather than posting one for The Sun, Mirror, Metro, Express etc.

3 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Don't really understand this. Ive been to Dubai several times in the last 5 or 6 years. Visa's are not required in advance if you are a UK citizen. You step off the plane, present your passport and they stamp it with a 30 day Visa. I went in and out 3 times in a 30 day period one time. No challenge whatsoever. Mind you I hadn't been drinking, wasn't a woman and wasn't belligerent and filming where every tom dick and harry knows you are not allowed to. Must be more to this I feel.

Not sure if the woman was a UK citizen...in the story, it notes that she's Swedish (but lives in the UK).

She only started filming (she says) to get evidence of the Immigration Official being rude to her.

Edited by Deviskan

55 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Nobody has ever suggested that.    Nobody is condoning officials or her treatment.    You seem to be seeing people saying things that have not been said.      

8 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Not sure if the woman was a UK citizen...in the story, it notes that she's Swedish (but lives in the UK).

She only started filming (she says) to get evidence of the Immigration Official being rude to her.

If she's travelling on a Swedish passport the rules are a wee bit different and you get a 90 day multi entry the first time you arrive. Once that 90 days is past you need to apply in advance for single entry. Obviously she hasn't done that. FFS its easy stuff to find online before you travel and if you've been several times you know full well not to be anything other than utterly polite to the point of submissiveness with these guys.

Edited by Escobar PHM

1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

If she's travelling on a Swedish passport the rules are a wee bit different and you get a 90 day multi entry the first time you arrive. Once that 90 days is past you need to apply in advance for single entry. Obviously she hasn't done that. FFS its easy stuff to find online before you travel.

True...but people (particularly parents travelling with young children, which is a nightmare at the best of times), do make mistakes from time to time.

I agree, she should have simply calmed down...got back on a flight, and 100% not got her camera phone out and filmed an Immigration Officer (I know from past experience, filming the police etc abroad is not a good idea...after my mates and I were filming the groom on his stag do going up to the Madrid Police...bad idea!).

However, I still find it reprehensible for a 4 year old child to be put into an adult prison with her mother...and then kept there for 3 nights (standing watching her mother clean floors and toilets whilst in tears, sleeping beside other inmates etc)...over something such as this.

Note, the only reason that this happened as well...is due to the mother admitting she had drank a glass of wine on the plane (thus giving the Immigration Official an excuse to arrest her for breaking the law...basically punish the female tourist who was impudent enough to answer back), which was given to her as a complimentary drink by Emirates Airlines (who essentially are fully complicit in what happened to the mother and child).

9 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Note, the only reason that this happened as well...is due to the mother admitting she had drank a glass of wine on the plane (thus giving the Immigration Official an excuse to arrest her for breaking the law...basically punish the female tourist who was impudent enough to answer back), which was given to her as a complimentary drink by Emirates Airlines (who essentially are fully complicit in what happened to the mother and child).

Ive flown with Emirates loads of times. I don't remember any occasion where they grabbed me by the throat and forced me to drink.

I agree that the response far outweighed whatever this woman did that was wrong, whether its the drink, the lack of visa, her being a bit cheeky, or the filming. They do this from time to time in Dubai. The sex on the beach couple. The bloke who nudged another bloke in the pub. I know of a guy who was jailed for a week for vaping.(its illegal there and he had no idea. You can smoke in the bars but you cant vape in the street !!!) They like Westerners money. They despise Western customs and liberal behaviour and now and again they make a serious example of someone so that the message sticks.

Edited by Escobar PHM

However, I still find it reprehensible for a 4 year old child to be put into an adult prison with her mother...and then kept there for 3 nights (standing watching her mother clean floors and toilets whilst in tears, sleeping beside other inmates etc)...over something such as this.

I think everyone shares your abhorence

None of this would've happened if her papers had been in order!  Although, surprised she was allowed on the plane initially without the correct paperwork.

3 minutes ago, Boris said:

I think everyone shares your abhorence

None of this would've happened if her papers had been in order!  Although, surprised she was allowed on the plane initially without the correct paperwork.

The Visas are usually issued on arrival. They wouldn't need to check at the outbound airport. You don't need a Visa to get on a flight. Just to get off at the other end.

10 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

The Visas are usually issued on arrival. They wouldn't need to check at the outbound airport. You don't need a Visa to get on a flight. Just to get off at the other end.

Ah, ok.  Never been to Dubai, had my visas for India and China prior to departure, hence my question. :thumb:

1 minute ago, Boris said:

Ah, ok.  Never been to Dubai, had my visas for India and China prior to departure, hence my question. :thumb:

Don't go..........you cannae huv a bevvy............lol

4 hours ago, Deviskan said:

one thing is for sure ... my wife and daugther wouldnt be in the fecking daily mail!!

Edited by jambo_
spelling

chuck berrys hairline

Surely social will be visiting her? Travelling abroad on an expired visa and then getting her kid locked up cause she wants special treatment cause she's a mother! In a Muslim country ?

The Internet
3 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Alcohol banned in Dubai? Are folk believing that blatant lie? Never seen pictures of a Dubai brunch? Idiots.

It's the daily mail, I just assume every word is a lie. 

Lets face it without oil or gas tinpot countries like this would be of no interest to us and if they dared try anything like that they would be swiftly put in their place

Just because they have those resources we kow tow to them instead of telling them to back off.

Even so they still require countries like the UK not least so all the hypocrite leaders can live a life away from the life they force others to live

We should arrest any of their citizens who are not living the life they impose on others and see how they feel about it then

Oh and if any of those local policemen or customs officials dare to try and enter our country they should be escorted into similar conditions then told to bolt back home

Seymour M Hersh
8 hours ago, jambo_ said:

its not really anything to do with the alcohol - the headline is bullshit.

The issue was with the visa and the mothers attitude.... and they certainly dont tolerate western 'attitudes' in Dubai.

And more especially if it's a female! 

John Findlay
13 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Lets face it without oil or gas tinpot countries like this would be of no interest to us and if they dared try anything like that they would be swiftly put in their place

Just because they have those resources we kow tow to them instead of telling them to back off.

Even so they still require countries like the UK not least so all the hypocrite leaders can live a life away from the life they force others to live

We should arrest any of their citizens who are not living the life they impose on others and see how they feel about it then

Oh and if any of those local policemen or customs officials dare to try and enter our country they should be escorted into similar conditions then told to bolt back home

I take it you've never been to the UAE, Oman or Bahrain. If you have you wouldn't have posted that ignorant bollocks above.

My brother lives in dubai and the alcohol thing is utter nonsense. I was over there in November, extremely drunk each night and had no trouble at all.  As Sooperstar says, try visiting a Dubai brunch!

Behaving like an idiot and being disrespectful to others (especially locals) will get you in bother...... just like every other country in the world.

Brighton Jambo
6 hours ago, Victorian said:

I agree with this.  I feel sympathy for the child but it’s clear the mothers attitude to the officials caused this.  You start giving immigration officials a hard time in other countries, especially ones who don’t care for western attitudes, then you reap what you sow 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
5 minutes ago, Disco Dave said:

My brother lives in dubai and the alcohol thing is utter nonsense. I was over there in November, extremely drunk each night and had no trouble at all.  As Sooperstar says, try visiting a Dubai brunch!

Behaving like an idiot and being disrespectful to others (especially locals) will get you in bother...... just like every other country in the world.

Good post. 

It's the hypocrisy that gets me. We all know if someone from the Middle East in full Arab dress pitched up at Heathrow without proper documentation, got a bit lippy, and started filming the conversation, they'd be sent on their way with a "Welcome to Britain" £10 voucher for Gregg's. 

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

John Findlay
9 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I agree with this.  I feel sympathy for the child but it’s clear the mothers attitude to the officials caused this.  You start giving immigration officials a hard time in other countries, especially ones who don’t care for western attitudes, then you reap what you sow 

Try giving an USA immigration gyp and see how far it gets you.

9 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Good post. 

It's the hypocrisy that gets me. We all know if someone from the Middle East in full Arab dress pitched up at Heathrow without proper documentation, got a bit lippy, and started filming the conversation, they'd be sent on their way with a "Welcome to Britain" £10 voucher for Gregg's. 

This. Good old Daily Heil, one rule for white middle classes going abroad and another for  immigrants that come here. She didn't have a valid visa , she had chanced her arm more than once (you'd think a GP would be familiar with and capable of understanding visa requirements) and then she pisses people off by trying to film the resulting row that she caused. 

Brighton Jambo
Just now, John Findlay said:

Totally agree, me and my wife have never been anything but respectful entering any country but when entering the states this red neck guy in LA looked me up and down and said “why you want to come to MY country” in a tone that was outright hostile.  I mumbled something about a wedding but had I given any shit I would still be there now!  

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I take it you've never been to the UAE, Oman or Bahrain. If you have you wouldn't have posted that ignorant bollocks above.

I must be missing something for are they not all non democratic states or countries, is Dubai not part of the UAE which is an absolute monarchy ?, Oman is also the same with Bahrain led by a clan leader..oh and have you forgotten what happened when people tried to stand up for their rights in that wonderful country ?...seems to me you are showing yourself up with your lack of knowledge

Is your job linked to those fine upstanding countries ?.. where women are treated as second class citizens..how does your wife or partner (if female) feel about that ?  Do you support such policies ?

Like it or not those countries are not democratic,  do not recognise human rights as they should given the major religion in those areas and pay lip service to the west but should you dare to upset them act like spoiled children.

The hypocrisy of their citizens (well at least those in power) seems to be ignored by you.

Brits are proportionately more likely to be arrested in the United Arab Emirates than in any other country, the Foreign Office claims.

still it's okay to be arrested for kissing in public, it's okay to be arrested for trumped up events, it's okay to be arrested for sharing a facebook charity request for refugees...well at least you think it is but not me

The Internet
Just now, John Findlay said:

Was going to say this :lol: going through security at an American airport is truly terrifying. Speak out of turn there and you'll be wishing for jail. 

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Was going to say this :lol: going through security at an American airport is truly terrifying. Speak out of turn there and you'll be wishing for jail. 

Landed at Newark en route for Miami - "why are you going to Miami !!!!!  Me -  "cos it's warmer than New York". The guy almost smiled.