Dogs

Herbert.

11 hours ago, The Brow said:

To be fair my dog is a rescue miniature Bull Terrier, think he's had a hard life as he's covered in scars and isnt overly keen on other dogs. He loves his wee crate though as he sees it as 'his'. The door is never closed but most of the time you'll find him chilling with his blanket there. He's got a bed in the living room he likes when we watch Pointless or the football together. 

Folk that use it to stop the dog going mental and destroying the house are missing the point which is unfortunate. Sorry to hear about your dog, westies are lovely wee things when they're not going mental ?

Aii a year ago today actually. She was a superb dog went blind due to cataracts the last few years of life and eventually got cancer. 

Would love another but I am going to wait until we got a house with a garden and things. We live in the town which isn't ideal for dogs. The cats is enough for the time being and despite being an arsehole she is good fun. 

FB_IMG_1539885409873.jpg

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambof3tornado

• Herbert.

• cosanostra

• Unknown user

2 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Taken yesterday up Seamab Hill near Muckart.

Had a great afternoons trek.

20181018_184841.jpg

It's nice up that way. Ive take the dog up glensherup, you can get a decent walk there just need to watch for pheasants the now if your dog has a taste for them.

20 hours ago, peter_hmfc said:

:wub: Cats :wub: .

The thinking persons pet. You never hear of crate training a cat, ours sleep in the bed with us until 5 in he morning when they get hungry, so they just walk through the house to their food. Proper intelligent animals.

51 minutes ago, superjack said:

The thinking persons pet. You never hear of crate training a cat, ours sleep in the bed with us until 5 in he morning when they get hungry, so they just walk through the house to their food. Proper intelligent animals.

:spoton:

For the sophisticated sire.

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Herbert said:

It's nice up that way. Ive take the dog up glensherup, you can get a decent walk there just need to watch for pheasants the now if your dog has a taste for them.

Haha he was flushing out pheasants the other week. Never been on a shoot before but instinct took over. Flushed them out and stood there one front paw raised and tail out straight!! Must be in his genes!!

On 17/10/2018 at 07:16, Lord BJ said:

Anyway picture of the new editionD7E20129-F818-43D3-80AA-588499377EBD.jpeg.fc321be8aae413cc6e7be70d5fad04a7.jpeg

I was going to write something witty about your sexuality but that actually is a cute wee dug

20 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Haha he was flushing out pheasants the other week. Never been on a shoot before but instinct took over. Flushed them out and stood there one front paw raised and tail out straight!! Must be in his genes!!

you should try him on a shoot, a guy said to me about doing it when mines past the mental stage, he said your dog just needs good recall and you get paid £30 a dog. I worry incase mine catches one because I know it's gonna end up with a half eaten bird.

31 minutes ago, Herbert said:

you should try him on a shoot, a guy said to me about doing it when mines past the mental stage, he said your dog just needs good recall and you get paid £30 a dog. I worry incase mine catches one because I know it's gonna end up with a half eaten bird.

? A great way to get exercise for you and your dog and to see the natural instincts in a dog come alive when they are doing what they've been bred for is a truly magical sight......... if you like gundogs of cours?

2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Anyone got a Vizsla?

I've never had any HPR but my neighbour has 4 Wire Haired Vislas, lovley dogs, less boisterous and more level headed than the GWP's I've seen. 

Jambof3tornado
29 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've never had any HPR but my neighbour has 4 Wire Haired Vislas, lovley dogs, less boisterous and more level headed than the GWP's I've seen. 

Thinking of getting a puppy and vizsla on the list. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Thinking of getting a puppy and vizsla on the list. Thanks.

What sort of house do you live in? How active are you? 

Ive looked after a Hungarian Vizla a few times. 

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, The Brow said:

What sort of house do you live in? How active are you? 

Ive looked after a Hungarian Vizla a few times. 

House backs onto woodland. Current dog gets walked 3 to 5 miles day..often more than that up hills and also goes swimming regularly.

Just wondered how they got on with other dogs in the same house. Pretty sure they'll be fine as Oscar is a good dog.

9 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

House backs onto woodland. Current dog gets walked 3 to 5 miles day..often more than that up hills and also goes swimming regularly.

Just wondered how they got on with other dogs in the same house. Pretty sure they'll be fine as Oscar is a good dog.

If you do get a Visla, you should look up your local Gundog Training group, they'll have classes for HPR's, they've gotten pretty popular over the last 15/20 years, training in a group will really stimulate a Gundog breed. 

1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Theyre gentle giants, to the point where they are needy as **** ? I have a great time looking after my mates but they do require more work than I could give on a full time basis due to work/life etc. 

Also, theyre well tiring to wrestle when fully grown. Lovely dogs, sure you'll have a ball. 

CavySlaveJambo
On 18/10/2018 at 19:01, AlimOzturk said:

Aii a year ago today actually. She was a superb dog went blind due to cataracts the last few years of life and eventually got cancer. 

Would love another but I am going to wait until we got a house with a garden and things. We live in the town which isn't ideal for dogs. The cats is enough for the time being and despite being an arsehole she is good fun. 

FB_IMG_1539885409873.jpg

She was gorgeous. How old was she? We had a pair of Westies when I was growing up. One died of cancer at the age of 12, and the other lived till 15 years, 3 months and 6 days old. I wouldn’t mind another one tbh, but I also love Poodles too. And Poodles seemingly make better Agility Dogs, 

Lord BJ what type of dog are you getting? 

6C9223CB-AB2B-4B00-A458-EF8BAAF02B5B.jpeg

On 18/10/2018 at 20:00, peter_hmfc said:

:spoton:

For the sophisticated sire.

Letting a cat sleep in your bed is sophisticated? 

****ing manky more like 

8 hours ago, The Brow said:

Letting a cat sleep in your bed is sophisticated? 

****ing manky more like 

Away and stick your head in a litter tray. There is nothing better than my fur babies cuddling in.

36 minutes ago, superjack said:

Away and stick your head in a litter tray. There is nothing better than my fur babies cuddling in.

Agreed. Nothing better than a week cat purring away cuddling in. Makes my heart warm. 

On 18/10/2018 at 19:01, AlimOzturk said:

FB_IMG_1539885409873.jpg

She was about 14-15 when she went. Not sure how old she was when we got  her. 

She had Jack russel in her. Use to.take her along figgie park and she would go missing. Always came back with a mouse, hare and occasionally a rat. Our next door neighbour hunts and use to take her with him. He would butcher the Hares and watching her tuck into her accomplishment was some of the best joys i have of her. 

Wish more owners would consider feeding there dogs raw meat and teaching them to hunt. Still feed them commercial but don't be affraid to throw a raw steak or raw meaty bones down to then. 

CavySlaveJambo
14 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Wish more owners would consider feeding there dogs raw meat and teaching them to hunt. Still feed them commercial but don't be affraid to throw a raw steak or raw meaty bones down to then. 

Frodo is mostly raw fed. He hasn’t been taught to hunt, but he has tried out scentwork, which he did quite well at, so will probably do some more with him next year after Agility moves back to during the week. 

Tomorrow he is getting his overdue bath and a FFT (Face, Feet, Tail) and sanitary shave. I am trying to grow his coat back in, as I shaved it off in the summer. 

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the bump! I'm thinking about getting a dog but I work during the day and I live on my own. Is that fair to leave the dog during the day? On a side note, the only pet I've was a cat who lived up until the grand old age of 21! He had a proper personality, great wee thing. 

Edited by Tynieman
grammar

8 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

Sorry for the bump! I'm thinking about getting a dog but I work during the day and I live on my own. Is that fair to leave the dog during the day? On a side note, the only pet I've was a cat who lived up until the grand old age of 21! He had a proper personality, great wee thing. 

Sorry but the short answer is no it’s not fair , 

27 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

Unless you give it a hours walk in the morning so it sleeps in the morning 

and get someone to check on it during the day or if you can get back at lunchtime then I wouldn't bother.

Depends on the dog. 

Some will get bored and destroy your house.

Some will just get bored and depressed.

Some will happily sleep all day after a decent early morning run and look forward to you coming home and going out for another play.

Choosing the correct breed is vital for anyone getting a dog. Everyone has different circumstances.

Truth be told it isn't really fair either way but you could hire a dog walking service to take them out for an hour during the day. That would help. 

13 hours ago, Bauld said:

Depends on the dog. 

Some will get bored and destroy your house.

Some will just get bored and depressed.

Some will happily sleep all day after a decent early morning run and look forward to you coming home and going out for another play.

Choosing the correct breed is vital for anyone getting a dog. Everyone has different circumstances.

Truth be told it isn't really fair either way but you could hire a dog walking service to take them out for an hour during the day. That would help. 

Would agree with this regarding the breed. Most dogs needs 12-14 hours sleep a day,  leaving them for a while during the day is fine as they will sleep for most of it. My dog is desperate for me to go to work in the morning, already up stairs in his bed waiting for me to go out so he can get back to sleep. However that is also because we ensure he gets decent walks before hand and when home and is also a small breed.

If me and the Mrs have time off work he is shattered as he is so used to getting a good rest during the day

He has been used to time on his own since a puppy, so doesn’t get board or destroy things, no barking etc when we leave. We have also gave him the best treat when we leave the house (when a puppy gave him Kong’s with it in it to keep him active). when he sees the good treats coming out he gets excited and it helps us leave the house and he doesn’t care we are leaving. 

Here's our Border Collie Jess (also in my avatar). Jess the Jambo. The picture was taken by our neighbour Lazlo who has a photography business "Weirdie Grizzly" . We have the pic framed and on the wall.

FnHBDZW4HUu0qWPZjANCltSRRAlsdkPPa9yC6Ht10o-5MoYiiZH6UmPB_Ue8aJorCLffPoFAZLuU9rKg1qa1184Q4_QZaaR_QdoHrcfIHDmpGw4Xse2P4bRoq-IHh_R7i1T5pcQfMMsRSBHFmBRwlkH_LYY4tNyKCnS96hbWi24hcWgtgDoSZMNwsHw7o_LUyl3RSa7YzfnaIZX_0Oh4CnDf9bJXxyxOH3rdGOAt1V84IugfBqThy3lcd8dZppgfrRu36MEtzYmCH-Wg08m1KX7GgBRCkFNwt-viJwrJx2S75x6RtK4AeZeau4yDJPFl8NiadfyCAgurWHxYOdxypan5H_DQOR3rFmQfjOA53SeFjB0Dv3EvDmgipIeA_9E09vydzInu3AuO2ba9cwGh3Sol6UQoreyWl5v_7sh3_Ig2IrDN6j0bki2GOfevSfuVho1PmziA62eZ4m2d8ikRyrnp093stcLh1iunc0AuVZRZJTjGLqjClMafhkRBdcl6SIsU90u0YwsdswYJCW4en-xoKSXXSywcMZLFgpH2S_AmwPJVbG2SqRoEi6hnvcpqDEN56-26hROxDs_la_tPu74ChWOaYeTLTIia2DhEHQuSCnI3Dp8jY10ed-p1O6sxC2SPXBlgCgG9B6oDnrH8laQf=w535-h668-no

On 21/01/2019 at 22:04, Tynieman said:

If you mean you’ll be out for a 9-5 job (which effectively means 8-6 for many), I wouldn’t get one. Depends on the dog as others have said. Puppies need a lot of attention first year or so, so they certainly shouldn’t be alone for that length of time, for example. Older dogs might be fine.

My previous dog was often in house all day during the week. She was perfectly fine, but that was when she was older and slept much of the time anyway.

Current dog is just over a year. Sleeps in her crate from about 8.30 - 2.00 three days a week. One day, my wife works the full day so my dad comes round to talk the dog for a big walk. The other three days, we are around much of the time, but she still goes in her crate for a long sleep. She needs it, and will go voluntarily. I walk her for 45-60 mins in morning, she is in garden for a couple of hours (unless raining and/or freezing) in afternoon and I walk her for 30 mins at night. At weekends etc., she gets longer walks. Seems happy enough with all of that. When she has her mad half hour (every night!), I chuck her in the garden to run about. I wouldn’t ever put in the cage in response to that, but there have been a small number of occasions when we’ve had to (we have a small kid). She goes into the cage quite happily now. As others have said, it’s important she doesn’t see it as punishment. 

8 hours ago, Peebo said:

If you mean you’ll be out for a 9-5 job (which effectively means 8-6 for many), I wouldn’t get one. Depends on the dog as others have said. Puppies need a lot of attention first year or so, so they certainly shouldn’t be alone for that length of time, for example. Older dogs might be fine.

My previous dog was often in house all day during the week. She was perfectly fine, but that was when she was older and slept much of the time anyway.

Current dog is just over a year. Sleeps in her crate from about 8.30 - 2.00 three days a week. One day, my wife works the full day so my dad comes round to talk the dog for a big walk. The other three days, we are around much of the time, but she still goes in her crate for a long sleep. She needs it, and will go voluntarily. I walk her for 45-60 mins in morning, she is in garden for a couple of hours (unless raining and/or freezing) in afternoon and I walk her for 30 mins at night. At weekends etc., she gets longer walks. Seems happy enough with all of that. When she has her mad half hour (every night!), I chuck her in the garden to run about. I wouldn’t ever put in the cage in response to that, but there have been a small number of occasions when we’ve had to (we have a small kid). She goes into the cage quite happily now. As others have said, it’s important she doesn’t see it as punishment. 

Thanks for all the advice.  I didn't think it would be fair and therefore will not be getting a dog until I'm old and retired (or win the lottery). I wouldn't want any animal to suffer due to my selfishness in wanting to own one!

I actually work with a lad who cages his two huskies during the day whilst him and his partner are at work. I've always thought that was simply cruel.

As always, thanks for the advice all!

Edited by Tynieman
spelling

15 hours ago, Tynieman said:

Thanks for all the advice.  I didn't think it would be fair and therefore will not be getting a dog until I'm old and retired (or win the lottery). I wouldn't want any animal to suffer due to my selfishness in wanting to own one!

I actually work with a lad who cages his two huskies during the day whilst him and his partner are at work. I've always thought that was simply cruel.

As always, thanks for the advice all!

If your wanting to go on walks or have a dog around try borrowmydoggy. 

29 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

We lost our beloved wee Westie two weeks ago. She was 16 and a half and was the apple of our eye. 

She had a great life and we loved her dearly and miss her terribly but that is what comes with owning a pet. 

But I wouldn't change anything.

Sorry to hear that Jonno. I've lost a few in my time. The last one was my Border Collie Skye, he was 16 when he passed away in 2014, still miss the auld lad. Now we've got another young collie' Jess' who's pictured a few posts up in her teams colours. She's a joy and keeps me on my toes when we're out on the hills. Canny beat a good dog for company. I hope you'll maybe take the plunge again at some point.

I never wanted a dog but the gf did. Circumstances allowed her to be home most of the time so I went for it. This is Cooper and I love him.

Did wonder why he was looking so smug here, then I zoomed in. Dirty wee bugger

2018-06-24 09.31.41-1728x1296.JPG

9 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Thanks for your kind words, Danny. 

My youngest daughter, who lives with us,  has a Blenheim Cavalier king Charles puppy who is a wee star so we are fine in that respect. 

My other daughter has a Border Terrier who we look after a lot.

We no longer work so we have plenty time for our kids' dogs. We love them a lot.

We will get dogs again but travelling is first  on the agenda while we are still relatively young. 

Sounds like a good plan. Best of luck.

This is my big mate. He's called Captain.

He's a former racing greyhound that i rescued and i couldn't have hoped for a better dog.

No dog will ever love you like a greyhound. He doesn't really bark, he doesn't chew stuff, he has silky soft fur that doesn't cast or smell and he's incredibly friendly and loyal.

There's loads of greyhounds that need good homes so if you're thinking of getting a dog, consider one. They cost very little to rescue and they are remarkable animals. 

They also do well in flats / appartments and they need very little exercise.

IMG-20190127-WA0000.jpeg

17 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

He's a former racing greyhound that i rescued and i couldn't have hoped for a better dog.

No dog will ever love you like a greyhound. He doesn't really bark, he doesn't chew stuff, he has silky soft fur that doesn't cast or smell and he's incredibly friendly and loyal.

There's loads of greyhounds that need good homes so if you're thinking of getting a dog, consider one. They cost very little to rescue and they are remarkable animals. 

IMG-20190127-WA0000.jpeg

Lovely looking dog.

Just now, Harry Potter said:

Lovely looking dog.

They're beautiful indeed Doug.

Very placid and loving temperament.

If you're on the lookout for a pet, you could do a lot worse.

4 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

They're beautiful indeed Doug.

Very placid and loving temperament.

If you're on the lookout for a pet, you could do a lot worse.

Not had a dog for a few years, loved my cocker , might get another one some day.

8 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

He is a beauty. Looks very contented.

They love a couch or soft bed.

They sleep up to 18hrs a day believe it or not.

70kmph couch potatoes.

• 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

This is Madge and she's not as innocent as she looks. 12 weeks old.

FB_IMG_1583579283160.jpg

Was there batteries supplied?

On 27/01/2019 at 09:14, cosanostra said:

IMG-20190127-WA0000.jpeg

He looks wonderful. You have almost made up my mind... 

On 24/01/2019 at 22:21, mrmarkus1981 said:

I never wanted a dog but the gf did. Circumstances allowed her to be home most of the time so I went for it. This is Cooper and I love him.

Did wonder why he was looking so smug here, then I zoomed in. Dirty wee bugger

2018-06-24 09.31.41-1728x1296.JPG

Is that a border terrier? My late mum adored those dogs. She worked at Gorgie pet shop and at her funeral i found out she sold one to the Thai Princess! 

9 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

He looks wonderful. You have almost made up my mind... 

Do it, they're great animals.

He's so gentle with my kid.

IMG-20200229-WA0003.jpg