Aidan Keena

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

Over the last few days we’ve seen some youngsters going out on loan and quite rightly so. But I hope Aidan Keena, doesn’t follow on loan he is very underrated in my opinion deserves a shot at the first team even if it’s from the bench. Would actually like to see him start against Hamilton, as Steven Maclean said he can’t play on Astro and with the current Lafferty situation I feel Naismith, Uche, & Keena would be a solid attack his movement and general finishing is ahead of his years. 

Supersonic94
8 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

When did Steven McLean say that he can't play on astroturf?

You have a link to that comment?

Pretty sure Mclean had a knee injury which if he played on astro he would be at high risk of ending his career.

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME
16 minutes ago, RS86 said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/astroturf-not-a-problem-for-me-says-hearts-striker-steven-maclean-1-4771351

Agreed I'd like to see Keena given a fair crack of the whip, but his game time may be limited this season with our current options and Vanecek still to come

Interesting read! Not sure i’d play Steven Maclean “every game”

this season at age’d 35 with his fair share of injuries i’d strategically play him like Aaron Hughes. Probably best to keep him away from Astro but just have to wait and see. Would really like to see what Keena, can do.

1 hour ago, Supersonic94 said:

Pretty sure Mclean had a knee injury which if he played on astro he would be at high risk of ending his career.

He seems to think he's fine to play on astroturf.

The bosses will still use him wisely I'd think. He's doing well at the moment and he's helping pull the team together so we may see him start v Hamilton.

The thing is, so many of our players including this one are showing promise to be exciting and dangerous.

Let's just hope the disappointment of the last two years is well and truly behind us.

I wouldn't rush the boy, we always **** up strikers by putting to much pressure on them and we should be playing our strongest team available every week and getting the young guys to fit in around the team. 

1 hour ago, cosanostra said:

He seems to think he's fine to play on astroturf.

The bosses will still use him wisely I'd think. He's doing well at the moment and he's helping pull the team together so we may see him start v Hamilton.

This is a good point. We’ve signed so many nee players, there’s the old but valid cliche of needing time to gel.

Having MacLean’s experience and intelligence in that area of the park maybe just eases that process as opposed to a youngster who is definitely exciting but maybe unpredictable and wont lead in the same way.

Nice options to have though and agree hope Keena given a crack rather than loaned out.

Finlay James

I'd have him on the bench on Saturday as opposed to starting.  Although Uche has started well, he has not faced an SPL away day as yet so Mcleans experience will be vital.

Id bring on Keena with 20 minutes to go if we are 2/3 up.

Midfield is the bigger conundrum for me as that it is where the battle will be on Saturday.

Mark my words.He's the most natural finisher at the club.Granted,he'll need more than that to his game to play up front for Levein.That, allied to his pace will give him a chance.

Legend Claws
5 hours ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

Over the last few days we’ve seen some youngsters going out on loan and quite rightly so. But I hope Aidan Keena, doesn’t follow on loan he is very underrated in my opinion deserves a shot at the first team even if it’s from the bench. Would actually like to see him start against Hamilton, as Steven Maclean said he can’t play on Astro and with the current Lafferty situation I feel Naismith, Uche, & Keena would be a solid attack his movement and general finishing is ahead of his years. 

Nice one Aidan. 

FarmerTweedy
5 hours ago, Supersonic94 said:

That must be why he didn't play against Raith.  Oh, hang on though...

6 hours ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

welcome aboard mr keena

letsalldothebeattie

Really hope we give this lad a proper crack this season. Granted it’s either in 20s or league 1 so not against the best of oppositions but the lad has an eye for goal that we can’t ignore too much longer. I know we have Laff, Uche, MacLean and even Naisy to play up top and scoring but give the laddie a chance every few games to show what he can do. What’s the worst that will happen we have to loan him out to the championship to get more game time 

We need options and have to be ready for players going off form, injuries etc...

The question is whether he's competent and ready enough in CLs eyes to come in and give the right level of performance.

Also, is he benefitting more from being involved with the first team from the bench and playing the odd game, or would going out on loan be more suited just now?   

24 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

We need options and have to be ready for players going off form, injuries etc...

The question is whether he's competent and ready enough in CLs eyes to come in and give the right level of performance.

Also, is he benefitting more from being involved with the first team from the bench and playing the odd game, or would going out on loan be more suited just now?   

Imo we should keep him around particularly because Henderson and Currie are out on loan, perhaps see how he does until January then think about loaning him out once Currie returns? 

4 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Honestly don't think he will make it with us. Hope I'm wrong but think we have to aim for better leading the line 

Why don't you think he'll make it at Hearts?

He's 19, he's been banging in the goals on loan and in the reserves and Levein has stated he'll be part of the first team squad this season.

He's not even had a regular run in the team and you've written him off :lol:

10 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Imo we should keep him around particularly because Henderson and Currie are out on loan, perhaps see how he does until January then think about loaning him out once Currie returns? 

I think so. You just never know if its a season we find another young player make the breakthrough? 

Its early doors but Morrison is showing signs he could seriously compete for a starting place. It'd be nice to see a forward do the same.

rudi must stay

I would loan him out. Maybe division one or SPL if anyone's interested, no point having him here for 10 minutes off the bench every once in a while

CloustonHMFC

Scored 8 goals in 12 games or something for Queens Park last season and banging them in for u20’s too. May not be fully ready for the full hog step up yet but he will be in time. 

Sepp's Bladder
10 hours ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

Wouldn't say he was underrated. I'd say most are quite excited by what looks like a very promising youngster.

The question is, would it be better for him to play a lot of games for a team like livi or be in and out the hearts team?I think he will stay and its down to him to take his chance or be back on loan in jan to develop him for next season.

As for Maclean, nonesense. He gave an interview on the fact he is perfectly fine with astro, already played and scored for us on astro. It was Tommy wright that chose not to play him on it.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

No. First game of the season, the best 11 go out, as of yet I have seen nothing from Keenas cameos, to say he is in our best 11.

Bench

scott herbertson

I liked the direct way he played in the half he had at Arbroath - he played with hunger and aggression. Certainly worth a place on the bench

Keena and Zanatta should not be put out on loan. Keena because he's already proved he has the potential to be a first team player. Zanatta because this is a make or break season for him. A loan for him would mean he isn't staying.

1 hour ago, tcjambo said:

Keena and Zanatta should not be put out on loan. Keena because he's already proved he has the potential to be a first team player. Zanatta because this is a make or break season for him. A loan for him would mean he isn't staying.

Can only prove this by playing competitive first team games, how many starts or how many minutes has he had?

PS

Not saying he doesn't have it, just that hes not "already proved" it

fabienleclerq

Lafferty hit 19 goals last season, Uche played a blinder against Inverness, McLean has linked attack and Midfield rather well. I'm not sure how anyone could think Keena would be in line for a start against Hamilton?

I think he should be aiming for a loan to the championship and try to establish himself at a higher level than he has so far.

Edited by fabienleclerq

47 minutes ago, ericb said:

Can only prove this by playing competitive first team games, how many starts or how many minutes has he had?

PS

Not saying he doesn't have it, just that hes not "already proved" it

The word "potential" was quite important in my post

• 6 months later...
On 02/08/2018 at 07:30, Four faces said:

Mark my words.He's the most natural finisher at the club.Granted,he'll need more than that to his game to play up front for Levein.That, allied to his pace will give him a chance.

Nice to be proved right.Levein agrees as well as a few journos.

Got really high hopes for the lad.  The lower leagues are no walk in the park for a youngster and he has shown promise at two different clubs.  Not sure on another loan tbh, I'd like to see him integrated into a pool of 4 strikers along with Uche, Van, and McLean, getting regular minutes off the bench and filling in for (yet more) injuries.

Would also mean Naisy can focus on making the team tick from an advanced midfield berth rather than right up front.

Said it before, if he plays alongside Uche with Naismith in behind them, well get 3rd, whilst wripping the wee team a new one en route 

44 minutes ago, OTT said:

This laddie looks to be the exciting talent we've been waiting for. Who scouted him out of interest? 

Probably MacPhee. Not sure though.

chester copperpot

I said on a thread ages ago that out of the 3, Keena is miles ahead of Currie and Zanatta.

Would love for the guy who proved me wrong with Zlamal to prove me right here.

Currie and Zanatta won't make it with us, Keena has a good chance. 

Captain Canada

It will be tough for him to get game time ahead of Uche and Vanecek but he's definitely going about things the right way. 

I'd involve him ahead of MacLean off the bench because he seems to be more physical and direct. 

41 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

I said on a thread ages ago that out of the 3, Keena is miles ahead of Currie and Zanatta.

Would love for the guy who proved me wrong with Zlamal to prove me right here.

Currie and Zanatta won't make it with us, Keena has a good chance. 

Completely forgot about Currie

42 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

It will be tough for him to get game time ahead of Uche and Vanecek but he's definitely going about things the right way. 

I'd involve him ahead of MacLean off the bench because he seems to be more physical and direct

And hungry.

MacLean always gives 100% but its not the same.

4 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

He's just a better player than MacLean

Not yet.  I think people underestimate MacLean.

Keena can learn a lot from him.

On 02/08/2018 at 07:18, PTBCAL said:

Honestly don't think he will make it with us. Hope I'm wrong but think we have to aim for better leading the line 

...and after 6 months, has your opinion changed?

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Has all the attributes to be a top quality forward. Play him and he will score. Tenacious, strong energetic and has a great strike. Currie will never be as good as Keena is right now. He's actually terrible, another I think people are just hoping will magically turn into a decent player. We need to give Keena every opportunity to realise his potential. One of the very few young players I'm excited about.

On 02/08/2018 at 07:30, Four faces said:

Sorry but I don’t agree with that 

hope he does well with us but I don’t see anything special 

15 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Not yet.  I think people underestimate MacLean.

Keena can learn a lot from him.

I agree, maybe I should have said he's a different type of player than Maclean, but in my opinion and based on what I've seen of him he's more the type of player that we need.

Maclean has qualities but he doesn't  lead the line and doesn't score often enough to put him ahead of Keena in the current set-up. Sean Clare has been persevered with, quite rightly, I think Keena should get the same treatment.