Scottish footballers in Europe

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

Having a look at Scottish players who are abroad at the moment it is interesting to see the numbers have increased and will be fascinating to see how they do.

As far as I can see we have:

Liam Henderson (22) - about to join Hellas Verona in Seria B after turning down some Seria A clubs (appears to be because the manager who took him to Bari is now at Verona.)

Harvie St Clair (19) - A lesser known name to most Scotland fans but the U21 internationalist left Chelsea this summer to also move to Seria B with Venezia. The club got to the play-offs last season. 

David Bates (21) - At Hamburg in Bundesliga 2, appears from pre-season planned to be a regular starter and is even showing ability with using the ball (something he didn't show at Rangers.)

Jack Harper (22) - The former Real Madrid academy player who career started with so much hype but over the last few years has dropped off the radar has been promoted to the Malaga first team squad for the new season in the Segunda Division. Even scored the only goal in a friendly today, the first win in pre-season for Malaga. Hopefully a sign he will be getting games for the first team.

Ryan Gauld (22) - Looked good earlier in the summer for him getting a game for Sporting this season as quite a few of the team left due to the president,however the president has since left and places are filling up ahead of him. Really needs a place that can play him either on loan or permanent. 

So a good number of young Scottish players who are mostly going to get a chance in Europe this season. Even most are in the second tier of the countries they are in, a good season should push them higher. And the more Scottish players doing well abroad, the more likely foreign clubs will look to buy Scottish players, thus opening up the market for our players.

Have I missed any out?

Edited by jamboinglasgow

All I have to say is that they are far better off out there, seeing the world and gaining experience than sat on the bench/in the reserves of the OF watching their careers pass them by like many young Scottish players have done before them and will continue to do so. Best of luck to them.

Edited by JME

jamboinglasgow
8 hours ago, JME said:

All I have to say is that they are far better off out there, seeing the world and gaining experience than sat on the bench/in the reserves of the OF watching their careers pass them by like many young Scottish players have done before them and will continue to do so. Best of luck to them.

I agree. Their development is aided through this. St Clair was offered a new contract at Chelsea but felt he would have options elsewhere to play so good on him.

• 1 month later...
jamboinglasgow

Jack Harper scored his first goal for Malaga this evening in a 1-0 win v Almeria. Means Malaga are sitting top of the Segunda division/La Liga 2 with maximum points after 3 games.

Seeing him getting rave reviews so far and Malaga fans seem excited about him.

His goal is really good, as shown above, takes the ball at half-way, turns his man and runs before laying it off to the left wing for it to be crossed back to him for him to score.

On other players, a good interview with Harvey St Clair here

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16604126.exclusive-scotland-under-21-international-harvey-st-clair-reveals-why-he-has-swapped-chelsea-for-venezia/?ref=twtrec

Edited by jamboinglasgow

8 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Jack Harper scored his first goal for Malaga this evening in a 1-0 win v Almeria. Means Malaga are sitting top of the Segunda division/La Liga 2 with maximum points after 3 games.

Seeing him getting rave reviews so far and Malaga fans seem excited about him.

His goal is really good, as shown above, takes the ball at half-way, turns his man and runs before laying it off to the left wing for it to be crossed back to him for him to score.

On other players, a good interview with Harvey St Clair here

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16604126.exclusive-scotland-under-21-international-harvey-st-clair-reveals-why-he-has-swapped-chelsea-for-venezia/?ref=twtrec

Excited about watching him this season (there was nothing to be excited about last season), but won’t be for a few weeks due to work commitments. 

I’ll  report back back once I’ve seen a few games. 

Here’s the match highlights

Decent crowd for a 2nd tier match on a Monday night. 

Edited by grumpy rebus

On 04/09/2018 at 08:09, grumpy rebus said:

Excited about watching him this season (there was nothing to be excited about last season), but won’t be for a few weeks due to work commitments. 

I’ll  report back back once I’ve seen a few games. 

Here’s the match highlights

Decent crowd for a 2nd tier match on a Monday night. 

Looking at Malaga for a stag weekend in may 2019 and hoping to take in a match.  The fixtures only seem to go up to March mate, does the Liga 2 season finish earlier than Liga 1?

1 hour ago, Finlay James said:

Looking at Malaga for a stag weekend in may 2019 and hoping to take in a match.  The fixtures only seem to go up to March mate, does the Liga 2 season finish earlier than Liga 1?

Weekend of 12th May home to Oviedo and weekend of 26th May at home to Zaragoza. 

Be be aware that these games could be Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday and are only announced a few weeks in advance. 

The good news news is that the stadium isn’t far from the centre, or if you’re staying west of Malaga, Fuengirola etc, there’s often supporters buses. If you’re staying east of Malaga (unlikely for a stag weekend) it’s quieter, but there are a few buses. Message me if you need more info ??

Just watched Jack Harper complete 80 mins for Malaga. He looks like a decent prospect. Good use of the ball and intelligent movement without. Linked well with the other attacking players and had a good assist for the second goal. 

Certainly has the makings of a good player. 

• 3 months later...
grumpy rebus

A wee update on Harper. I’ve watched him a few times and he’s not been anything special. Seems to be quite energetic, but his technique is fairly average - not a good combination for Spanish football. May be a decent player in Britain where effort counts for more, but can’t see him playing at a higher level in Spain. Could be wrong as he may improve. 

Way to contradict my my previous post ????

Edited by grumpy rebus

14 minutes ago, grumpy rebus said:

May be a decent player in Britain where effort counts for more, but can’t see him playing at a higher level in Spain. Could be wrong as he may improve. 

Way to contradict my my previous post ????

Getafe (currently 7th in La Liga) offered Malaga £1m for him last month. 

grumpy rebus
11 hours ago, Zico said:

Getafe (currently 7th in La Liga) offered Malaga £1m for him last month. 

I noticed that. Was a strange one. He’s playing in a poor team I suppose. 

Hampden Demolition
2 hours ago, His name is said:

How's the boy Henderson doing out in Italy? 

Looks like he has started 10 games, scored 2 and assisted 2.

2 hours ago, His name is said:

How's the boy Henderson doing out in Italy? 

Work with a Verona fan and he has made a good start, however, the club is in turmoil

• 1 year later...
jamboinglasgow

Saw that Calvin Miller is close to a move to Amiens in Ligue 2 (a club like us who should never have been relegated because of Covid.) This will add to some more Scots heading abroad this summer or expected to move abroad.

Fraser Hornby has joined Stade de Reims in Ligue 1.

16 year old Celtic player, Barry Hepburn is expected to join Bayern Munich (joining fellow ex-Celtic youth player Liam Morrison who has just been moved up to their U19s.)

Is there any others I have missed at the moment?