My bets are:

Hoffman @230

moore @330

snedeker @170

Hossler @360

Harrington @400

van rooyen @620

perez @770 

2 pound on them each and 3 pound on Perez.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Maroon Sailor

• Samuel Camazzola

• Cruyff Turn

5 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

My bets are:

Hoffman @230

moore @330

snedeker @170

Hossler @360

Harrington @400

van rooyen @620

perez @770 

2 pound on them each and 3 pound on Perez.

Just done Moore and Perez as well.   

Maroon Sailor

Koepka showing his intent from the start

Just nailed his drive on to the 1st green

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

And now Kevin Na and Tony Finau.  No more no more.

Throw enough darts...

:lol:

Cruyff Turn

If the wind starts to blow 20-30mph, I doubt anyone will be making a par round. 

These are great conditions and guys like Spieth having a nightmare on the closing holes.

Brooks Koepka enjoy hitting those big drives mate:greggy:

that shot out the bunker :pleasing:

Tiger playing well though, glad to see him getting back to a good level, he has the shots, the experience the brain and the patience to have four great rounds here. Obviously a long way to go.

Edited by Cruyff Turn

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

And now Kevin Na and Tony Finau.  No more no more.

Is Kevin Na still taking 5+hours to complete a round or has he quickened his game? 

7 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is Kevin Na still taking 5+hours to complete a round or has he quickened his game? 

He wont get away with that in the Open.    

Maroon Sailor

Fair days play for the whole field.

The course was set up perfectly imo

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Koepka has had an eventful day

Played the last 5 holes on the front nine 6 over par and played the first 5 holes on the back nine 4 under

Cruyff Turn
21 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Fair days play for the whole field.

The course was set up perfectly imo

It has, perfect conditions, no one has tanked it and some of the best have struggled. Basically, one mistake and it'll probably cost a shot. 

Hopefully it gets a bit windier after the cut, then we can see some serious brutal scoring, 72 or 73 being a good round. 

Edited by Cruyff Turn

-5 after the day being talked about as the easiest for scoring.     Unless one of the leaders can score sub-70 every day then I can't see the winning score being better than -10.      If the wind does get up on a couple of days then it could feasibly be -5.        The leaders could all have a poorer day (72, 73) and do it on different days and we end up with a cavalry charge final day.     

Maroon Sailor

Only 6 previous major winners in the top 30 and none in the top 7 after the first round.

I think someone will shoot a 64 if the rain softens the course overnight

Thoughts on the first round .

Nobody took the course to bits. It seems tactical may be better than trying to bomb the driver everywhere.

I enjoyed watching Woods. He knows how to play good old fashioned Scottish golf.

My main concern - The crowds seemed very sparse. Have the R&A priced themselves out of the market?

Would be interested to hear from folks that were there about the crowd size ?

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Nobody took the course to bits. It seems tactical may be better than trying to bomb the driver everywhere.

I enjoyed watching Woods. He knows how to play good old fashioned Scottish golf.

My main concern - The crowds seemed very sparse. Have the R&A priced themselves out of the market?

I was there for yesterday's practice. Crowds were decent for that but easy to get about. 

The pricing may seem hefty to some but considering the calibre of player on show and compared to football and rugby pricing, it's better value.. More could be done on the multi day or multi ticket deals. 

Even irons are uncontrollable on those fairways,  as we predicted.    Unpredictable bounces and rolls.    Ball going too far,   off fairways,   into bunkers,   into the burn.     There are scrubby,  tufty bits of rough in and around the fairways and near greens.     Get into the wrong corner of a fairway bunker and you sometimes need to go sideways straight into a scrubby lie.     Have a belt at a green and you can end up with a delicate shot off a slope and in a crap lie,    or in an extreme short-sided position behind a bunker.      

There is no stable strategy.     It's true rub-o-the-green stuff.    Some heavy rain might take a bit of sting out of the fairways but I doubt it will be enough.

Maroon Sailor

Ticket prices are obscene for The Open now.

Noticed that 2 years ago at Troon that the crowds were low.

I've been to Opens at Muirfield, Turnberry, Troon, St Andrews and Carnoustie but won't go to another one. I'll stick to the Scottish Open.

St Andrews is a joke for spectating anyway

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Is Moore wearing trainers? 

They look like them but are made for golf and have a sole designed for golf. He is sponsored by a Canadian brand. 

A lot of golf footwear look like trainers now. Sketchers sponsor several top pros. Jim Furyk sports a pair of Sambas too! 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

They look like them but are made for golf and have a sole designed for golf. He is sponsored by a Canadian brand. 

A lot of golf footwear look like trainers now. Sketchers sponsor several top pros. Jim Furyk sports a pair of Sambas too! 

Cheers. 

Do they have spikes? These shoes.

Maroon Sailor

Got Jean van de Velde in the SKY studio and that arsehole Livingstone can't help himself putting him through what happened at the 18th 19 years ago. Even asked him if he lost his mind.

Maroon Sailor

Play has been as dull as the weather this morning. Not much happening in the scoring stakes as the players struggle to adapt to the speed of the greens since the rain.

McIlroy is going to be dangerous and hard to stop now.    He's obviously dialled in this week.     A good start is normally crucial for him.     He can become erratic and a bit disinterested with playing catch-up.     13/2 looks very tempting so I've now done my main bet for the week.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

McIlroy is going to be dangerous and hard to stop now.    He's obviously dialled in this week.     A good start is normally crucial for him.     He can become erratic and a bit disinterested with playing catch-up.     13/2 looks very tempting so I've now done my main bet for the week.

By now, is it easier for you to list the ones you haven't put a bet on? :D

I've not seen whether the wind is due to get up later in the day but McIlroy and Fleetwood will be able to put their feet up for a nice afternoon either way, I imagine.

I always like Adam Scott for these tournaments and, despite a few bogeys today, he looks like he's edging up the leaderboard. And Zacho the Wacko is another who's been going about his business quietly (as usual) and working his way to the top.

Cruyff Turn
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Mcllroy will do what he always does, have a decent round today and then ultimately lose the plot in the wind at the weekend. 

He doesn't have a mature head on him, he still takes unnecessary risks all the time and that's why he hasn't won a major in 4 years. 

I like the look of him this time.     His clutch putting sometimes looks no better than a club player but.     A few misses from 6-7 feet could be painful.

hmfc_liam06
16 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

I'm sure I read/heard that they are expecting record numbers for Carnoustie.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Yea record crowds expected.

The Tiger Factor

I P Knightley

Justin Rose getting ratty again, this time a spectator taking a photo while he's swinging. WTF is wrong with people that they need to have the shutter sound on their phone? Idiots.

(I realise that this is probably better suited to the 'things that annoy you' thread; very little to do with golf!)

luckyBatistuta
50 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Justin Rose getting ratty again, this time a spectator taking a photo while he's swinging. WTF is wrong with people that they need to have the shutter sound on their phone? Idiots.

(I realise that this is probably better suited to the 'things that annoy you' thread; very little to do with golf!)

I don’t know why they need to even take the photo/video. You’ve paid all that money to go and watch it live and you’re standing watching it through your phone :omg:

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Perez is the only one of the long odds bets I didn't do e/w.    

:levein2:

Fear not he’ll win. And I’ll be phoning in sick for a week or two to celebrate my 770/1 odds ?

Reporting Scotland going with no Scot in the final 2 rounds for the first time in 10 years.    Sam Locke now looks very good for making the cut.    Almost certain.     Let's see if they repeat their prediction in the article.

Just now, Irufushi said:

Fear not he’ll win. And I’ll be phoning in sick for a week or two to celebrate my 770/1 odds ?

I got nowhere near that in play.     You've done so well there.

Missing the cut and some surprisingly rotten.

Poulter, Snedeker, Colsaerts, Blixt, Watson, DJ, Fitzpatrick, Schwartzel, Rahm, Rose, Kaymer, Knox, Garcia, Thomas.

11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I got nowhere near that in play.     You've done so well there.

Backed him on the basis  that he was impressive in the open zone on Wednesday and he’s 37th in the world rankings and 770/1 is a joke tbh.

Edited by Irufushi

Clearly no idea how to read a leaderboard.    There's nowhere near enough players still playing and in with any chance of getting to +2.     +3 is home and hosed.     Well done Sam Locke.

Actually... it's not done yet.    

:vrface:

Edited by Victorian

Guess The Crowd

Yes, the 'projected cut' usually assumes everyone yet to finish will score level par for the rest of their round, regardless of how easy or difficult the course is playing. 

Only 57 players currently better than +3, so the young lad has surely made it. 

Looks good.   I can only see 2 or 3 possibilities getting to +2.    There's 2 or 3 still playing at +1 and +2 who could go backwards.     90% chance.

2 minutes ago, Guess The Crowd said:

Yes, the 'projected cut' usually assumes everyone yet to finish will score level par for the rest of their round, regardless of how easy or difficult the course is playing. 

Only 57 players currently better than +3, so the young lad has surely made it. 

67 +2 or better.