Open Championship

Notts1874

With the World Cup done we move from Moscow to Carnoustie.

Hopefully the fairways and greens will be firm and fast with a decent breeze so we see proper links golf.

Wide open as always but Justin Rose is my shout.

The only certainty is Butch Harmen will spend a lot of time addressing the camera directly leaving me thinking he is looking at something over my left shoulder.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Maroon Sailor

• Samuel Camazzola

• Cruyff Turn

The White Cockade

favourite sports event of the year

Me and the old man use to get the British Rail Golf Link to St Andrews, Muirfield etc back in the 70's and 80's

Can happily sit watching the tv coverage from 10 in the morning until 8 or 9 at night

Wide open this year as there are no out and out favourites and anything can happen at Carnoustie

Just wish I could get Thursday and Friday off

Carnoustie winners tend to be patient types.   Grinders.     Rose does fit the bill but there are plenty others.     Fowler is another patient player.     He'll churn out long strings of pars and wait for his chances.      Day, Stenson, Molinari, Casey, Leishman, Poulter even.    

J.T.F.Robertson
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Carnoustie winners tend to be patient types.   Grinders.     Rose does fit the bill but there are plenty others.     Fowler is another patient player.     He'll churn out long strings of pars and wait for his chances.      Day, Stenson, Molinari, Casey, Leishman, Poulter even.    

Had Stenson at 28/1 a couple of years ago. (and I know nothing about golf) :)

The Mighty Thor

The course is fiery and the rough is long dry and wispy so I can see it being a low scoring event,  which is a real shame as i want to see the pros tested. 

No idea who'll come through to win it but it won't be woods.

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The course is fiery and the rough is long dry and wispy so I can see it being a low scoring event,  which is a real shame as i want to see the pros tested. 

No idea who'll come through to win it but it won't be woods.

If it remains fiery then that brings it's own difficulties.     It wont be easy to keep tee shots on the fairways,   making approach shots much more difficult.     It wont necessarily be a birdie shoot.

The lower winning scores at Carnoustie have come from Tom Watson who was a phenomenon in his younger years and Padraig Harrington who was the best in the world at that moment.     

I reckon a winning score of -8 at best.    Level 69s if they keep the par 71.     Someone who can go through without having a poor round.

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

If it remains fiery then that brings it's own difficulties.     It wont be easy to keep tee shots on the fairways,   making approach shots much more difficult.     It wont necessarily be a birdie shoot.

The lower winning scores at Carnoustie have come from Tom Watson who was a phenomenon in his younger years and Padraig Harrington who was the best in the world at that moment.     

I reckon a winning score of -8 at best.    Level 69s if they keep the par 71.     Someone who can go through without having a poor round.

Apparently the greens are green and running at no more than 10.5-11 feet.

Depending on pin locations I can see the top guys really going for it. As we saw this week, no wind and it's a birdie fest for the majority of the field. 

I hope to feck it blows some!

15 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Apparently the greens are green and running at no more than 10.5-11 feet.

Depending on pin locations I can see the top guys really going for it. As we saw this week, no wind and it's a birdie fest for the majority of the field. 

I hope to feck it blows some!

You never know but Carnoustie is about 500+ yards longer than Gullane,  which is on the too short side for tour pros.    But ýes,   hopefully it isn't just a putting contest.

Just now, Irufushi said:

Not much wind forecast, between 5-12 mph throughout the 4 days. 

Gusting to 20 at the weekend though. Just enough to make it interesting.

Maroon Sailor

Carnoustie is a test no matter what the conditions are. There's trouble on every hole especially the closing holes.

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

The only certainty is Butch Harmen will spend a lot of time addressing the camera directly leaving me thinking he is looking at something over my left shoulder.

Does he have draw with his eyes? 

hmfc_liam06

Heading up on Wednesday for the practice day, first time at a golf event so I'm looking forward to it.

Not entirely sure who I fancy for the win but I'm not sure why anyone can say it won't be Woods - why can't it? He's got course knowledge and he's played in the dry, links conditions before (something a lot of the younger elite won't have).

Samuel Camazzola

Wednesday for me too. Got access to most areas including Sky Zone etc and looking forward to it. 

Still to select my picks but fancying Fleetwood for an ew finish. 

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Wednesday for me too. Got access to most areas including Sky Zone etc and looking forward to it. 

Still to select my picks but fancying Fleetwood for an ew finish. 

I'm not sure what kind of tickets we have, my mate got them as he's a greenkeeper. My cousin works for the R&A and has been on location the last 2 weeks, so hopefully can get behind the scenes for a bit.

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Has this been stolen by Sky or is on the BBC? 

Thankfully it moved to Sky a couple of years ago. The BBC tapped out early following their disgraceful coverage during Watson's final hole at St Andrews in 2015.

The Beeb will still have delayed highlights though. 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Thankfully it moved to Sky a couple of years ago. The BBC tapped out early following their disgraceful coverage during Watson's final hole at St Andrews in 2015.

Cheers. 

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm not sure what kind of tickets we have, my mate got them as he's a greenkeeper. My cousin works for the R&A and has been on location the last 2 weeks, so hopefully can get behind the scenes for a bit.

It's an R&A pass I have with priority parking. :pleased:

I got it for Troon too and it was great for accessing the pavilions. 

Heading up on the train on Wednesday, looking forward to it.

This year ... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE no poster call The Open - The British Open - last year JKB went into meltdown over it!!!!!! Hahaha

37 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Heading up on the train on Wednesday, looking forward to it.

This year ... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE no poster call The Open - The British Open - last year JKB went into meltdown over it!!!!!! Hahaha

Yeah that was me who was guilty of that one.

I would say I reeled everyone in, but I just genuinely made a pigs ear of it

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

You'll have to remind me what they did to Tom in 2015.

I don't have Sky so might be able to be a bit productive later this week. Need to catch up after Wimbledon. 

Seymour M Hersh

I wonder if the dry weather will have reduced the severity of the rough?  

I think Rose, Fowler, Stenson and Fleetwood have chances but it may be someone out of left field like 99!

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Alex Kintner

£10ew Rose @ 16/1

£10ew Fowler @ 16/1

£10 ew Koepka @ 22/1

£5ew Fleetwood @ 18/1

£2ew Pieters @ 70/1

£5ew Noren @ 33/1

£1ew Els @ 500/1

Speculating to accumulate with some of my World Cup winnings ?? 

Alex Kintner
5 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

What happened?

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I wonder if the dry weather will have reduced the severity of the rough?  

I think Rose, Fowler, Stenson and Fleetwood have chances but it may be someone out of left field like 99!

The rough won't be as severe as 99.

I was up there for the first round. It was blowing a hoolie, narrow fairways, thick first cut of rough never mind the deep stuff.

It was almost impossible to shoot par - only one player achieved that.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Frank1874 said:

What happened?

3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

You'll have to remind me what they did to Tom in 2015.

I don't have Sky so might be able to be a bit productive later this week. Need to catch up after Wimbledon. 

Watson was heading up 18 late on the Friday for what was to be his final hole of an Open. He was about to get traditional pictures taken on the Swilken Bridge but BBC thought it would be good idea to cut live coverage to broadcast Eastenders or Bake Off and shunt coverage to online only. 

BBC were contracted to show the Open up until 2016 but gave it up a year early (thankfully). Their coverage of the PGA last year was horrific so hopefully they won't be getting that again. 

I like Eilidh Barbour, Wayne Grady and Sam Torrence but they are wasted on the Beeb. 

Maroon Sailor

Sounds like the weather is going to be consistent throughout the 4 days with a moderate breeze at best.

Could be double figures under par that wins it this year

I hope the arsehole BBC end up losing Wimbledon as well.     If they didn't waste so much making/commissioning utter shite,   they could maybe afford to bid for stuff like The Open.    

I do fancy a strong English presence at the top this year.     Rose,  Fleetwood,  Casey,  Fitzpatrick,  Poulter.    Even Westwood could challenge.     Waiting to see the odds on an English winner.

Various odds are of interest but the best bets I've seen so far is Henrik Stenson 9/2 as top former winner.    Only likely to be McIlroy or Spieth who could challenge him in that market.     Hideki Matsuysma 3/1 as top Asian looks an absolute cert.     Only those odds due to a large Asian group of 23 players.

21/1 double.     Ooft.

STRI, the folks who helped do Hearts' new hybrid pitch are also involved with The Open preparation. Some of their photos on twitter over the last few days:

Dh94ev-XUAEUQ01.jpg

DiHzMApX4AAxbnD.jpg

Dh1wuwCX4AMCATd.jpg

Samuel Camazzola
23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I do fancy a strong English presence at the top this year.     Rose,  Fleetwood,  Casey,  Fitzpatrick,  Poulter.    Even Westwood could challenge.     Waiting to see the odds on an English winner.

Various odds are of interest but the best bets I've seen so far is Henrik Stenson 9/2 as top former winner.    Only likely to be McIlroy or Spieth who could challenge him in that market.     Hideki Matsuysma 3/1 as top Asian looks an absolute cert.     Only those odds due to a large Asian group of 23 players.

21/1 double.     Ooft.

I don't know about Matsuyama being a cert as Aphibarnrat has often looked handy and seems to adjust to the Links game quite well. Li Haotong is another who's impressed and seems to be getting better each season. 

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I don't know about Matsuyama being a cert as Aphibarnrat has often looked handy and seems to adjust to the Links game quite well. Li Haotong is another who's impressed and seems to be getting better each season. 

Yeah Aphibarnrat could be a fly in the ointment.    I'll do two doubles.    45/1 double with Stenson.    I'll do 2 units at 21/1 & 1 unit at 45/1 for an overall bet of 44 or 46 back for 3.    Roughly 14/1 or 15/1.     

hmfc_liam06

Having looked at it a bit...

Noren 

Garcia 

Fitzpatrick

Southgate

Snedeker 

Those 5 will be my picks. So best avoided :lol:

I've also done a crazy 13 timer 72 hole match bet.   50p on at over 4000/1.    Hoping to see it still having a chance throughout the championship and do a cashout.      

Edited by Victorian

And a 2x2x2x1x1 perm = 8 x 5somes in the 72 hole group betting.  5 players per group.   All lines approx 1500/1.

Fowler / Rose

Molinari / Day

Poulter / Fitzpatrick

Spieth

Casey

53 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Having looked at it a bit...

Noren 

Garcia 

Fitzpatrick

Southgate

Snedeker 

Those 5 will be my picks. So best avoided :lol:

I'm on Noren & Southgate aswell. uh oh

Edited by Jeff

9 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Matsuyama top asian a cert... yeah I'd avoid that like the plague. Guy hasn't hit form in a long time.

Aphibarnrat for me

T6 in 2013 Open and two futher more recent top20 finishes.    2017 his best year on the PGA Tour.    2018 not great but top5 in his last two PGA events.

Not exactly bad.    

T6 in 2013 Open and two futher more recent top20 finishes.    2017 his best year on the PGA Tour.    2018 not great but top5 in his last two PGA events.

Not exactly bad.    

Defo not a dead cert though. There's a lot of world class South Koreans coming through as well. 

Just now, Jeff said:

Defo not a dead cert though. There's a lot of world class South Koreans coming through as well. 

Maybe so but he's got reasonable form,  experience and Open pedigree.     Still very confident he'll be top Asian.

It's quite noticeable how few players there are from continental Europe.    Only about 20.     Only 6 of those up to 100/1 in the betting.     Changed days.

17 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's quite noticeable how few players there are from continental Europe.    Only about 20.     Only 6 of those up to 100/1 in the betting.     Changed days.

Danish players are the ones to watch for. Olesen and Kjeldsen (not even sure if he's playing mind) are both pretty mean at links

1 minute ago, Jeff said:

Danish players are the ones to watch for. Olesen and Kjeldsen (not even sure if he's playing mind) are both pretty mean at links

There's only Olesen and an amateur player.    Olesen is 100/1.

There's only Olesen and an amateur player.    Olesen is 100/1.

Bit short but he's had some great performances recently. Could be a FRL shout

He's got a top10 in the Open and a T6 at the Masters.    Other than that,   pretty bleak majors record.   T6 at the Irish Open recently.